Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Apple products are for people who prefer to have no idea what they're doing at any given point in time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

but if you knew what you were doing you wouldn’t have needed a back button

quite the conundrum

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Why don't you buttOFF OP?

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 23, 2022

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There's no back porch, either. Makes you think

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

fishing with the fam posted:

The app will have a dedicated on screen back button, which is usually (annoyingly) in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Very inconvenient for single hand usage.

That's literally the worst place it could possibly be.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
My android just updated and took away buttons so I can use "gestures" instead.

I hate it, and I hated it when blackberry did it too. gently caress you Google, give me back the back button you bitch

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I hate it, and I hated it when blackberry did it too. gently caress you Google, give me back the back button you bitch

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

I just got an iPhone XR for work and couldn't work out how to turn the loving thing off.

Turns out you not only have to hold the power button, you have to hold the volume button as well? Then do the on-screen slider. How does that make any sense?

Because you almost never need to turn it off or reboot it, and holding a single button is way more likely to happen by mistake.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Look how weak that is. Shoulve just told everyone removing buttons is brave and to suck it if they don't like it.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Lol even toddlers can learn the iPhone gestures OP

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

I was aware there was a way to turn it off, but I didn't know there was a whole settings submenu for gestures.

Why we gotta make things more complicated. Flip your phone upside down and scratch your rear end with it to activate NFC like some sort of alternate reality metaverse bullshit. gently caress you, just have a button somewhere instead of hiding functionality, idiots.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 24, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
android gesture control is sick - the 'home' (slide up from bottom) and 'back' (slide left to off the right side of screen)

are v good

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

pixel 6 got rid of the rear fingerbanger :(

seriously wish i didnt lose my pixel 4a 5g on the top of a mountain, cause i have mixed opinions on the pixel 6

first off its huge, like OG xbox gigantic. secondably, im not sure i need a 50 megapixel camera on my phone. third is slippery as gently caress.

overall i think its a nice device i guess

I have a 3XL which Google's bitch asses just stopped supporting. Is the 6 worth an upgrade?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
there's no back button on android either

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah the pixel 6 is seriously slippery. it's like a loving seal, it slides off apparently perfectly flat desks it's ridiculous

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Settings - System - gestures - system navigation

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The Walrus posted:

android gesture control is sick - the 'home' (slide up from bottom) and 'back' (slide left to off the right side of screen)

are v good

So they are iPhones now?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Walrus posted:

lol yeah the pixel 6 is seriously slippery. it's like a loving seal, it slides off apparently perfectly flat desks it's ridiculous

put it in a case like a normal person

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Apple invented apps (“app” is even short for Apple application). I’m pretty sure they know what they’re doing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Peggy Edson posted:

I have a 3XL which Google's bitch asses just stopped supporting. Is the 6 worth an upgrade?

I like my pixel 6 but I have enormous hands and I also liked the OG Xbox controller so I may be an outlier.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Walrus posted:

are v good

it rules. though at first I didn't like it because I was accidentally triggering the back swipe just from holding the phone

but that was because I didn't have a case on it, and the edges of the screen are super sensitive for some reason. once I started using a case all the time it was fine.

e:

Peggy Edson posted:

with the pixel 6 they upped to 5 years of updates instead of 3, if that helps your decision

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 24, 2022

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
If you were supposed to use a case for your phone, it would’ve been included lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishing with the fam posted:

The app will have a dedicated on screen back button, which is usually (annoyingly) in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Very inconvenient for single hand usage.

The top left corner of the screen is where I would place something that I want no one to click ever.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

who cares about updates; I use Android devices from 7 OSes ago and they work fine and never get viruses. Even newly released apps still work on my Lollipop android handheld thing. Meanwhile I can't use a web browser on my kid's 3rd gen ipad.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

The Walrus posted:

are v good

Yeah this is just what you do on iOS. Why would you need a back button?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

who cares about updates; I use Android devices from 7 OSes ago and they work fine and never get viruses. Even newly released apps still work on my Lollipop android handheld thing. Meanwhile I can't use a web browser on my kid's 3rd gen ipad.

Cool, have fun with that. I'd prefer to not have a device with literally all of my personal info on it vulnerable.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's literally the worst place it could possibly be.

Back when phones were sized for single human hands it made sense. Now everyone is holding a tablet up to their face it’s a bit less convenient I suppose

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

android attracts that certain kind of nerd who has a complete meltdown the instant they are faced with something they are not an expert on

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Gestures are where it's at. I switched from using buttons and have never looked back. It annoys me that my pixel doesn't have a "forward" gesture though they need to get on that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

Cool, have fun with that. I'd prefer to not have a device with literally all of my personal info on it vulnerable.

Pussy!! I won't buy a device unless you can unlock the bootloader (pretty much only Pixel phones these days) and I run rooted all day long along with my banking apps; nothing has ever happened and I couldn't possibly be more risky.

I have never known or met anyone ever who got a virus on their phones. And I am surrounded by people who still have Bonzi Buddy web extensions on their browsers.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol you realize most phone viruses are undetectable data harvesters right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Peggy Edson posted:

he uses android and is therfore The Smartest Guy In The Room, please do not contradict him on any subject

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

im always in one handed mode

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
jfc if you get stuck and need to go back just buy a new iPhone and start over

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

Then they're on everyone else's phone too. Like 0.0001% of the population roots their phone. No one is writing viruses for this userbase. Meanwhile OSX is like 30% of the computer population and apparently even that's not worth writing a virus for.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Blooster posted:

I'm in an app right now that I have no idea how to close it. The same app next to each other on an Android phone and the back button closes the app. The only thing I can do on iphone is force close it lol

you have to gently swipe up.. NOT THAT MUCH.. THATS TOO MUCH... until all the running programs show up in windows. and then you have to like release at the exact time. and then you pick the app to close, and swipe upwards JUST ON THAT WINDOW.

duh.

easy peasy.

I didn't realize if you didn't 'close' each Safari window, it would just open up a new window/tab. I ended up having hundreds that I would have to close individually.

Ip* don't make it super easy, I'll agree.

Here. Just do this.

https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6256729/airvr-attach-your-ipad-directly-to-your-face

THE FUTURE IS NOW (2014, kickstarter that went nowhere i'm sure)

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 25, 2022

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
yea man the new iphone 23 XL +++ is sick as hell bro and only $1599.00.
it doesnt have a back button like but check out this sick rear end camera whattt!!!
scrolls facebook endlessly

check out how seamlessly it integrates with my Ford Mustang Mach-E!!!!

hold on a sec

wait, it's just integrating here

just one more sec it's so fast hahah

ah poo poo hold on gotta run this 2gb software update on the 23xl+++. it only takes half an hour

ok poo poo now I gotta update the Mach-E infotainment system

gently caress, i forgot microsoft makes the infotainment on this sick rear end mach E

ya know what, I'll just show you later

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Peggy Edson posted:

try to find a 4a 5g or 5a

the 6 is meh imo, camera is really good if you care about that but its even BIGGER than my pixel 2xl that i used a backup phone, screen is nice on the 6 of course, battery is nice etc, but its like oddly big and awkward for a device you are supposedly supposed to use all day long

i think if you like the 3xl you will love the 4a 5g or 5a

im not gonna get rid of my 6, but i dunno im not super impressed, at least i got it second hand for a really good deal so im not regretting dropping top $$$

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 25, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

swipe right dumbass!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

also i like the gestures :colbert:

Peggy Edson posted:

put it in a case like a normal person
no :colbert: