Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I couldn't imagine not having a phone in a case. As soon as smart phones were invented and I've owned one I've protected my multi-hundred dollar investment with a $30 or so case. It's always been helpful.

I've been a fan of OtterBox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me
I expected to care about this. Decided to revisit them a few days ago as I hadn’t touched any of it since iOS 6 beta 3 after basically a decade of using Nexus and Pixel phones. Honestly can’t say I mind the need for onscreen back buttons, but I probably would had I not bought a Mini.

The fact that I can build and sign a few apps without a paid developer account kinda satisfies my sideloading needs and I like that there’s now a drawer equivalent and the ability to change keyboards and default browsers. To be honest, I think these things are far more usable than they were when I last hosed around. I’m surprisingly okay with them now as someone who for many years deemed it an objectively worse experience. I miss RCS though.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I couldn't imagine not having a phone in a case. As soon as smart phones were invented and I've owned one I've protected my multi-hundred dollar investment with a $30 or so case. It's always been helpful.

I've been a fan of OtterBox.

Sorry about your greasy slippy hands

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
What if.....

Just what if.....

The case was integrated into the "case", if you will, of the phone itself?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

interwhat posted:

What if.....

Just what if.....

The case was integrated into the "case", if you will, of the phone itself?
make the whole plane out of black box

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Iphones are for reals the worst i gotta use one for work and i hate it but at least it is hella old so it still has a home button, the new ones are even worse :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
iphones are sincerely the most fail technology of the entire modern age

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't have a case for my phone

it's pure hubris and stupidity, especially given the number of times i've dropped it and magically had it not crack the screen

these fuckin screens crack if you type on them too hard

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Always buy a case.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

precision posted:

iphones are sincerely the most fail technology of the entire modern age

I switched to an iPhone SE 2 after using a hand-me-down Android for years and the biggest issue was installing non-app store programs on it.

You need iCloud, iTunes and Altstore installed on your PC and sync it at least once a week to keep them working. You can only have 3 at a time, and one of them is that app that does the syncing for you, so it's actually 2.

I went through all this for a version of Youtube that skips ads and sponsors and keeps playing with the screen off. I only lasted a few months before I got sick of those and there's no way I'm paying for Youtube Red. I'm sure Google will manage.

E: ^ Yeah, and a tempered glass screen.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

they also don’t have a direct data feed of your life to megacorp and nsa

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

I switched to an iPhone SE 2 after using a hand-me-down Android for years and the biggest issue was installing non-app store programs on it.

You need iCloud, iTunes and Altstore installed on your PC and sync it at least once a week to keep them working. You can only have 3 at a time, and one of them is that app that does the syncing for you, so it's actually 2.

I went through all this for a version of Youtube that skips ads and sponsors and keeps playing with the screen off. I only lasted a few months before I got sick of those and there's no way I'm paying for Youtube Red. I'm sure Google will manage.

stop watching youtube

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No flying car, yet? Nice try, Apple. What are you gonna do next? Hypercard?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
CRAPple lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Ideally the iPhone should have no buttons.

It’s 2022, what’s taking so long?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

numberoneposter posted:

try to find a 4a 5g or 5a

the 6 is meh imo, camera is really good if you care about that but its even BIGGER than my pixel 2xl that i used a backup phone, screen is nice on the 6 of course, battery is nice etc, but its like oddly big and awkward for a device you are supposedly supposed to use all day long

i think if you like the 3xl you will love the 4a 5g or 5a

im not gonna get rid of my 6, but i dunno im not super impressed, at least i got it second hand for a really good deal so im not regretting dropping top $$$

Does anyone make normal sized phones any more? And by that I mean screens no bigger than 4.7" diagonal

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I used to break my phone in half after talking to my Mom.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

That loving Sned posted:

Unfortunately Vanced YouTube just got sued so its gone now 😔

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

they also don’t have a direct data feed of your life to megacorp and nsa

Lol keep telling yourself that

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Inept posted:

stop watching youtube

Only when Awful app gets text-to-speech

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Unfortunately Vanced YouTube just got sued so its gone now 😔

Yeah, that was good if a bit of a pain in the rear end to install. Newpipe should still work, you just have to share youtube links to it.

Does anyone make normal sized phones any more? And by that I mean screens no bigger than 4.7" diagonal

The iPhone SE 2. It's the same size and shape as the previous one, but with a more modern processor.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

they still make flip phones

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
non iPhone phones are straight junk worse than ps5

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
after 3 pages no on has answered the question

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

styls trill epic posted:

non iPhone phones are straight junk worse than ps5

The PS5 version of Elden Ring is the only version without hint screens while loading because it loads too fast to read them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You can post new threads on the Awful iOS app but not on android lol.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can post new threads on the Awful iOS app but not on android lol.

For some reason I’ve had people on this very forum say that the Android version of the Awful app is superior to the iOS version despite this.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The iPhone version does have the back “button” on the dumb top left but the swipe right gesture also works.

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me

That loving Sned posted:

Most of what you said is accurate to my experience, however I’ve managed it on Linux with zero iTunes or iCloud poo poo installed at all - neither even exist for it. The time and app limits also kinda go if you pay for a dev account, which I very well might do at this rate. It’d be helpful for me even outside of sideloading existing apps and better beta access is also cool.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ah gently caress a call by mega annoying customer, I'm gonna ignore that one today, just let me swipe the notification away.. gently caress NO WHY ARE YOU CAL- yes hello it's sonofrodney from company calling you back

- me, an idiot, with my dumb shitass work iphone, multiple times a week

How is swiping a notification to call someone a real feature someone thought was good

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

That loving Sned posted:

The iPhone SE 2. It's the same size and shape as the previous one, but with a more modern processor.

I meant an Android phone that size. They literally don't exist. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I meant an Android phone that size. They literally don't exist. I don't get it.

The pixel 5 is like 5mm taller and 3mm wider than the SE. The SE still has huge fat bezels around that 4.7" screen. Look at the actual body size measurements, not the screen size.

It's goddamn stupid, but realize that the 4.7" screen in the iphone SE probably costs more than the 6.5" screen with higher resolution and similar DPI in some $300 Android phone. Because nobody but apple uses 4.7" screens anymore: economies of scale are why cheap android phones have big screens. Android phones have to follow the scale trend because their profit margin is so thin. Apple meanwhile intentionally makes the SE a worse product than they could make for the price, to protect non-SE iphones that are twice the price (the 13 Mini).

Anyways the majority of people want big phones, and in particular all the people who buy a new phone every year want big feature phones. So while you and I are saying "I just want a small basic phone", we're also the people that buy a new phone once every 4 years.