Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not gonna lie but I'd watch season 2 just to see how much of train wreck it'd be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm not nearly as down on RPG Real Estate as Snowglobe and SatoshiMiwa, but yeah the show did NOT handle its shift to actually having a serious plot anywhere in the same solar system as gracefully as Machikado Mazoku.

Looking back that series lead into it slowly, there's a reason the first big plot turn was Shamiko accidentally breaking the curse of poverty on her family. Right at the point where it seems like the show had a formula of Shamiko being a lovable failure it suddenly upsets that same formula by letting her actually accomplish one of her primary goals and change the status quo. Meanwhile said storyline is also the first time the series directly points to Momo's characterization so far as super serious pink Magical Girl who's weirdly manipulative and way out of character for what you'd think of a pink Precure analog and says that, if you think about it, this character might actually have real problems and maybe there are not good reasons she's acting this way. At the same time, that latter bit has some subtly to it and doesn't yell it out loud and for a good drat reason. Machikado Mazoku to that point is a goofy comedy, and if you're opening as a goofball comedy about lovable doofuses you give your audience G-forces by suddenly smash cutting to extremely serious poo poo. To put it another way, there's a good drat REASON it doesn't start doing serious stuff with, say, Shamiko's time in the hospital on the verge of death or later manga stuff like Momo's ACTUAL origin story, or literally anything to do with Suika. No, you've got to build up to those things if they're outside what the audience expects for the genre and what you've done so far, and so the show opens its foray into serious topics with "and Shamiko actually beats Momo for once and her family isn't ridiculously poor and now Lilith can say stuff!" because otherwise you tear the show.

What I'm saying is that Killing the protagonist, albeit temporarily, is definitely a bridge too far considering what RPG Real Estate has done so far. That show didn't do it super well, but the plotline running up to that with the lead going hey, is my best friend and roommate who is obviously a dragon maybe a dragon? had a perfectly acceptable end point of No duh that could have ended the series in functionally the same place without a sudden blast of edge. Save the killing and the evil slime monsters for AFTER you've established that the series actually has a serious plotline underlining the goofy real estate based comedy.

Also I'd 100% watch a second season of the show.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 2, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Funnily enough it probably would've worked more as a trivial gag than something more serious.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

Funnily enough it probably would've worked more as a trivial gag than something more serious.

Which is also very Machikado Mazoku, being that said series often likes to do "Haha look at this funny gag" and then X chapters later goes "Okay, but now let's take that thing totally seriously to further the actual plot of the show", see also how the second season of the anime ended.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I compare RPG Real Estate to Machikado a lot but I also think the series probably could of learned a lot from Endro which set up it's serious plot as a first episode gag, built it through out the series and than was able to pay it off in the end as well

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I compare RPG Real Estate to Machikado a lot but I also think the series probably could of learned a lot from Endro which set up it's serious plot as a first episode gag, built it through out the series and than was able to pay it off in the end as well

Oh poo poo, no spoilers for that. I've got like 2 more episodes to go on Endro.

I personally dropped RPGRE half-way. Whereas Machikado was setting up to deliver it's story from the get-go, RPGRE did that in the first episode and then...spun wheels with filler content (imo). Only plot point that came up later was the magic energy donation episode where it turns out Fa's power level is over 9000 but by then I just didn't have and engagement built up with the characters to care about watching to the end. Might give the manga a chance tho.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The only shows I'm actually curious and motivated enough and watch are Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer and Call of the Night. Both are great manga and I'm still hoping against all odds that Biscuit Hammer's adaptation will end up being decent. Everything else, I'll wait and see what generates a big amount of positive buzz in this thread and check it out once there are 5-6 episodes out. Last season I discovered Birdie Wing and Ya Boy Kongming! this way, so the track record is good so far.

Edit: Lmao, that's what I get for having both Summer and Spring thread bookmarked and next to each other. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 3, 2022

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Wrapping up the season, these are the shows I watched in descending order of how much I enjoyed them.

Kaguya-sama: No surprises, just another really good season of a really well-made show.

Spy x Family: Another well-made show with a really fun premise, though a bit more hit-or-miss from episode to episode.

Aharen-san: Delightful little show with some really well-executed jokes, solid direction and performance, and without any of Mizu Asato's usual perviness.

Paripi Koumei: I initially dismissed this as a one-joke show, but I'm glad I checked it out. Gets a lot of mileage out of a dumb premise, and surprisingly heartfelt and well-animated.

Tsubaki: The M-M-M-MEN!? premise gets old real quick, but whenever it's not focusing on that it's an enjoyable slice of life show with a fun (if somewhat overstuffed) cast.

Heroine Tarumono: A likeable main character and a drat catchy OP help raise this just above mediocre; predictable but watchable.

Nijigasaki: Already suffered from too many bland characters, and adding three more girls didn't help; still my least favorite Love Love.

Cue: Absolutely not a good show by any measure, but strangely became something of a comfort watch over the past months.

And shows I ended up dropping:

Summertime Rendering: Halfway decent start, but quickly managed to ruin every bit of mystery and tension through near-constant exposition.

Machikado: Too many jokes in too short a time, and way too many of those bombed. Genuinely exhausting to watch, and worse than the first season.

Shikimori-san: No redeeming qualities.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Time for an end of the season round up to anyone who even remotely cares!

RPG Real Estate: I already talked about this show at length on literally this page of this thread, but to quickly recap I didn't HATE this show, but man alive did it not conduct itself gracefully. I compared it to Machikado Mazoku and a couple of other people compared it to Dragon Goes Househunting and both of those are apt comparisons and both of those make RPG Real Estate look worse by contrast. One of the key things that made both of those shows legitimately great is that they were far more ambitious than their one joke premise might lead you to believe. Machikado Mazoku is a yuri gag comedy, but it's also one with an extremely strong and consistent setting, a cast of very well written and surprisingly complex characters, and it actually does have a serious story that it knows how to tell within its form and its genre. Dragon Goes Househunting is similarly a genre spoof with a central gag for a premise, but it's also actually a coming-of-age story of Letty maturing and becoming an adult and learning what he's really capable of despite his own shortcomings. RPG Real Estate has similar ambitions, but it doesn't do it well. The show tries to get more serious and aims to have a larger plot line, but it is just not very good at it. It moves too slowly, its foreshadowing is too clunky, and its big moment is jarringly too loud for a show that had previously been a genre spoof workplace comedy. I don't say you can't spin it into a serious story and do it well, but I will say they didn't. Unfortunate.

Shachiku-san and the Little Baby Ghost: I think every season of anime has a complete nothing of a show that's functionally just cute things happening, and this was one of them. If you're only here to watch cute supernatural entities engaged in cute heartwarming antics you'll more or less get your wish. Meanwhile, if you're looking for anything else, well I mean what did you expect? The title was very direct. Personally I thought it was a little bit slow, and I'm sad the show didn't have more gags related to the fact the title character is literally a ghost and what that actually means, and I'm baffled they have four little ghosties in the opening when the fourth takes until episode 11 out of 12 to show up and she literally never hangs out with the others, but again you kind of get what you pay for with a title like that. Like, the show would probably have been better if it had been a little bit more interested in its world ala Machikado Mazoku, but I say that about a lot of shows…

Ya Boi Kongming: This was a hoot, but it had a very Pirates of the Caribbean style problem wherein the most interesting person also, by the very fact of his personality and position, cannot also be the person to carry the main plot. The end result is that the show becomes a rather different show about halfway in when Eiko has to properly start being the protagonist and do some emotional heavy lifting and it turns into a show about the music industry. And it's not that the show is a bad show about an up-and-coming singer, it's just that it's a much more straightforward story that sadly but necessarily sidelines the title character. After an early run of entertaining zany schemes it's a little bit less interesting when the plan for the back half of the show is just "come up with a good song". Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with the show, but it turned into a much more grounded series than I thought it would starting out.

Machikado Mazoku Season 2: Anime of the season and a shoo-in for my best list this year and top of the list for shows I desperately want another season of. Season two of the anime hits the part of Machikado Mazoku that turns it from a 4Koma comedy manga with an underlying plot into a 4Koma comedy manga with a legitimately great story. The show brought in new characters and new dynamics, it expanded on the world, answered some of the running questions and series mysteries, gave some important back story details that contextualize the main characters, and ultimately showed all of our heroines at their best as they set out to try their little corner of the world a better place. That was also incredibly funny is a nice bonus, and its absolutely a step up from the first season.

Dawn of the Witch: Hey did you know that this was a sequel to The Grimoire of Zero? Because I didn't until I looked something up after episode 11, and I have to say that does put a lot of the show into context. Going in without some presumably assumed knowledge was interesting, and it does contextualize the show a little bit more because it does come across as a smaller piece of a much larger storyline. That sense of being part of a greater whole is both a strength and weakness of the show from my highly biased opinion. On one hand the world of the show feels filled in and complete, when characters do things or are introduced or people talk about things there's enough weight behind them that you really believe that what's happening is part of a larger whole. On the other hand, a lot of times as a blind viewer I felt like I was missing context for what was happening, and looking back I'm not totally sure whether that's because it was stuff established in Grimoire of Zero or if it's because it's stuff that's going to be established down the road in this series because the show makes no bones about the fact that it's just one chapter in a story that's still ongoing. And if another season does come out? I'll happily watch it. I like the cast, the main guy is an emotionally distant weirdo with an interesting power, the other two leads are likable and compelling in their own right, and I will once again say that the setting that I saw was really well fleshed out and interesting.

Spy X Family: Huge props have to be given to the anime team for this one, they were given a high bar to clear given the popularity and prominence of the manga and they hit it out of the park. Not only did they adapt all the big moments they had to adapt, they actually went above and beyond in a couple of places to make the anime even more ridiculously excellent. What else is there to say except Lloyd, kiss your wife.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Hey, I actually watched anime as it was airing this season. Time for a rundown:

Magia Record Final: So, those of you who followed the 2021 "worst of the year" thread know that this series' second season was on my poo poo-list due to catastrophic production problems, despite its promising start. So how's its follow-up? Well, I can confidently report back that the "final season" (which is really just the last four episodes that should've aired in S2) is blessedly free from such problems. Most scenes are competently cut, and there are a fair few action sequences that actually look really good. Heck, there are some scenes that have downright-phenomenal artistry.

That being said, this anime is still bad. The source material struggled to find its footing. It clearly wanted to be a followup to the legendary "dark" magical-girl series that is Madoka. But it was also designed by committee for the express purpose of adding a conveyor belt of marketable moe magical girls. Moe girls, moe problems. As such, it wavers in tone between a more edgy setting where some characters feel like they were ripped out of far schlockier ilk, such as Magical Girl Site. Then at other times becomes a "friendship and hope solve everything" PreCure wannabe, except PreCure does that aspect better.

It's so frustrating. The anime did manage to give the middle finger to the game's complete copout of an ending, which was needed. But there's so much stuff they crammed in that none of it felt organic. Oh, so every one of these characters are destined to succumb to despair with as much certainty as an apple falling back to Earth? Ok. But then one quick sacrificial pep-talk later they're totally safe, they just needed to have someone tell them that everything would be alright. Sure. A trio of little girls decide to jury-rig a system to get rid of said despair? Ok, but then it's accompanied with enough magi-techno-gobbledygook to make a Star Trek episode blush, all for the sake of """explaining""" why things went wrong. And now they're trying to destroy a city with gleeful abandon because, uh, we needed some villains I guess? Except they're doing it for their big sister who is a main character so they're still good at heart, you see. Oh and let's throw in a Night on the Galactic Railroad scene too, because referencing superior works makes our anime better, right? That's how it totally works.

No. No it doesn't. When I heard Madoka Magica was getting a sequel, this is exactly what I feared. A work that has so much reverence for its predecessor that it refuses to step out of its shadow, rehashing the same conflicts like a broken record. Except with less finesse, and even in situations where it doesn't make sense. So many characters in this anime bemoan how the wider world doesn't know about their struggles (because solitude was one of the themes of Madoka Magica). Except, did they ever once try to tell any muggles about their struggles? Haha, no, there isn't a single non-magical-girl character in the drat show, despite taking place in a city. And that's just one example. I'll stop talking now because this has gone on for far enough, but I think you get the picture.

Spy Family: It was enjoyable, and got some laughs out of me. Good visuals, and Anya is cute as promised. The story hasn't grabbed me too hard, but it's not like it's trying to; it's mostly just a vehicle for the antics within. I'll keep watching.

Shikimori's Not Just A Cutie: Going into this I was expecting to hate it, based on the general consensus in this thread. But, uh, I actually ended up thinking it was alright for what it is. Despite the main characters being a couple, it's not a romance anime, it's more of a Slice-of-Life, with all the non-happenings that entails. Is it predictable? Yes, every episode Shikimori is going to save her absolute-fruitcake-of-a-boyfriend from some mishap using her main-character-that-probably-belongs-in-a-different-anime powers. And make a cute or badass face while doing it. Even so, it's still cute to watch, and despite being allegedly the Perfect Dommy-Mommy Girlfriend™, Shikimori feels a good deal more grounded and authentic than many of the other "I wish I had a perfect girlfriend" anime's love-interests did. Like, she's got a possessive streak, but not to the point of going into yandere territory. She clearly wears the pants in the relationship, but gives Izumi space when he needs it? She's perfect, except she's not and fumbles communicating her desires? It doesn't hurt that I liked the character dynamics between the main group of friends. The supporting characters were enjoyable and their friendship felt believable, and they were responsible for the chuckles I got out of watching.

Also props to this anime for causing the ANN reviewer to break down after it sunk their gay ship lol.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life: Eh. It's got a super neat premise and some good world-building, but so few of the characters act like real humans that it bugs me. I feel like this is what happens when anime creators themselves reference human behavior by watching other anime characters instead of actual human beings. You just get these incestuous stereotypes. I got sick of the 'jealous hyper-combat lesbian' back in Spec-Ops Asuka, and I don't care for it here either. At least Akari and Menou have the excuse that they've suffered brain damage. And I guess also the happy-go-lucky murder-loli. Actually, come to think of it, does every character in this series have brain damage? You know what, I don't care. I might watch a second season of it because drat those catastrophes are pretty interesting (what the gently caress is a Starhusk anyway?). But I'll pointedly raise my eyebrows while I do it Shokei Shoujo. You hear me!? Pointedly!

Ya Boy Kongming: It was decent. Enjoyable, even. But for an anime centered around music, the music was not that good. To my uncultured ears, at least. Yea the main lead has a beautiful singing voice, but singing in a language that you don't speak fluently is bound to cause problems, and Engrish grates on me like no other. (I wonder if this is how Spanish-speaking people feel about Hips Don't Lie?) Nor did the J-rap particularly impress, which is unfortunate because they dedicated six episodes to it. Kongming's strategems as applied to the world of music are hilarious, but I'll echo others in saying that he mostly becomes a behind-the-scenes character about five episodes in. The last episode was good, but I was hoping for more.

Kaguya Ultra Romantic: It was loving great, and had a fantastic finale. I might actually stop watching the series here because that is such a good ending point. (Narrator: He won't.) Was it funnier than Season 2? I dunno, that was peak romantic comedy for me. But it sure did deliver. My anime-of-the-season, and possibly anime of the year.

Summer Time Rendering*: You know, I can actually sympathize to some degree with Cave Emperor. Summer Time Rendering does this thing where it will introduce a mystery that by itself could be the bedrock mystery of an anime for an entire season. Then it will resolve said mystery, usually within the same episode, and introduce another mystery that could sustain another season at the end. Repeat every episode. Imagine this: a city boy called, I dunno, Shoji, returns to the country town he was raised in because of the disappearance of Charby, his childhood friend. But was it an accident, or was it murder most foul!? And if it was murder, then who was the murderer!? Aha, here's a person who was at the scene of the accident! But how can that be, when they were across the other side of town a few minutes earlier!? And also they might be in this very room right now!? Are they getting help? And if they are, does that mean there is actually a secret cabal of subterranean mole-people!? And if there is a secret cabal of subterranean mole-people then...

Et cetera et cetera. You see? All the above questions in italics could become the central mystery of any other anime. And that's all just in the first episode! As a fan of mystery stories in general, it would have been nice to let each mystery breathe a little bit more, stew the audience in the foreboding atmosphere, set up clues that invite speculation and pay off in unexpected ways. However, I admit that the kind of anime I'm pining for is not without cost. Specifically, a 100-plus episode runtime. Summer Time Rendering sacrifices that ideal atmosphere in favor of briskly covering ground to keep things interesting and... and it pays off. I freely admit that of all the anime I watched this spring, STR was the one that had me most looking forward to the next episode, each episode. It reminds me a bit of ID: Invaded in that sense, which I loved. So I'm content to call this my runner-up to AOTS. We'll see how long it can keep this breakneck energy up without going into Samurai Flamenco-tier absurdity, but that's an answer that only manga-readers (praise be unto them) know.

*(Note: For spoiler reasons, I will be renaming people, places, and events to analogous but nonsensical proxies.)

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 4, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Malsangoroth posted:

Also props to this anime for causing the ANN reviewer to break down after it sunk their gay ship lol.

What?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

A few people briefly thought that a girl had a thing for Shikimori instead of the boy. I don't think anyone had a "breakdown" or anything.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I am exaggerating somewhat for comedic effect, but it was funny to see the reviewer pushing the theory that Kamiya is gay for Shikimori, only for the next episode to completely gut that take. At which point said reviewer is mysteriously swapped out for a different one with no reason given.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I don't think I recall a series being as inoffensive wholesome and fluffy garnering as much bizarre vitriol and anger causing such a bizarre hatewave. Like at it absolute WORST...Shikimori is still as inoffensive cute, goofy, wholesome SoL romcom so the hate and passive aggressive dismissal just feels unwarranted and kind of weirdly gross. This also seems like an entirely Western thing since the series seems very popular in Japan.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

I don't think I recall a series being as inoffensive wholesome and fluffy garnering as much bizarre vitriol and anger causing such a bizarre hatewave. Like at it absolute WORST...Shikimori is still as inoffensive cute, goofy, wholesome SoL romcom so the hate and passive aggressive dismissal just feels unwarranted and kind of weirdly gross. This also seems like an entirely Western thing since the series seems very popular in Japan.

It has a premise that's easy to take offense at. A GIRL who is assertive and competent!? The (frankly, sexist) idea that this is supposed to be odd and worthy of a whole show is just stupid enough to criticize it without being so stupid that you dismiss it entirely. Also the visuals in the PV gave it enough attention for people to wonder how on earth you could sustain a show off of this.

But like you said, it could just be a western thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My hottake is people are more critical of it because its het. :twisted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only negative things i've heard about this show are it's kinda boring and that ann reviewer having a stupid yuri ship hallucination

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i mostly just saw people call it bland and inoffensive, which it is. thats not really vitriol. looking now i see theres some hate for it on MAL but thats all 16 year olds please do not pay them any mind they are not real people

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Malsangoroth posted:

I am exaggerating somewhat for comedic effect, but it was funny to see the reviewer pushing the theory that Kamiya is gay for Shikimori, only for the next episode to completely gut that take. At which point said reviewer is mysteriously swapped out for a different one with no reason given.

dogsicle posted:

the only negative things i've heard about this show are it's kinda boring and that ann reviewer having a stupid yuri ship hallucination

You all are being weird about someone thinking/wanting to ship two girls together

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah like, it's just a boring show where nothing happens or advances with the main relationship in the entire first season.

Like almost every episode is "Boy thinks he's useless to Shikimori, learns that his friends and Shikimori still love him because he's a nice boy."

Anyway this is the face of a girl who is dead inside.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

You all are being weird about someone thinking/wanting to ship two girls together

I don't think that's what's happening, actually.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Like almost every episode is "Boy thinks he's useless to Shikimori, learns that his friends and Shikimori still love him because he's a nice boy."

This was my main problem with it yeah, from the two or three episodes I watched it looked like it was just going to keep hitting this same tired plot beat over and over. Also it's not funny and the MC sucks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Willo567 posted:

even people in the discussion thread that were open to/agreed with the yuri read felt like the show deconfirmed it for them :shrug:

saying it's the reason they swapped reviewers seems a bit much, for sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A good old-fashioned One Joke show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can only feel pity for the person who went into a het comedy specifically looking for yuri. could at least watch kaguya-sama where they do make lesbian jokes constantly

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

'one joke' comedies can be good if the series has good comedy chops and knows how to iterate and expand on the core joke well. see sleepy princess for a recent good one

a lot of these low-stakes romcom ones that are getting adapted though get popular purely through the anime audience's strong preference for romcoms over other type of comedies and not because they're funny

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

what if they made a two joke anime instead

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Srice posted:

science has not progressed this far, sadly

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Srice posted:

they could just make two animes instead and make twice the money

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Something positive about Shikimori is its made me remember how good Stop! Hibari-kun! is by doing the same premise of an assertive girl who's good at everything but makes it interesting by making her trans and also a Yakuza princess.

Also Shikimori looks like Utena.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 4, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

It has a premise that's easy to take offense at. A GIRL who is assertive and competent!? The (frankly, sexist) idea that this is supposed to be odd and worthy of a whole show is just stupid enough to criticize it without being so stupid that you dismiss it entirely. Also the visuals in the PV gave it enough attention for people to wonder how on earth you could sustain a show off of this.

But like you said, it could just be a western thing.

I think this is a tad unfair to the show, it isn't that she's assertive and competent and that alone is what's remarkable; its that she's nigh reflexively hypercompetent and assertive; the joke is even when she tries her best not to be these things the situation conspires for her to always appear awesome and badass. That she exudes kabedon energy at all times and she can't turn it off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's lots of stuff with way more offensive premises and writing for their female leads than shikimori. kind of a random target for moral judgment

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

'one joke' comedies can be good if the series has good comedy chops and knows how to iterate and expand on the core joke well. see sleepy princess for a recent good one

a lot of these low-stakes romcom ones that are getting adapted though get popular purely through the anime audience's strong preference for romcoms over other type of comedies and not because they're funny

The people wish to believe in love.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was a season loaded with romcoms so i suppose people just drew whatever arbitrary lines they could come up with

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Srice posted:

Mob psycho 100 season 3 next season!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Alright friends.

Let's jump into the dumpster fire.

Anime I watched this season

SpyxFamily
Kaguya s3
Shikimori's not just a cutie
Komi San s2
A Couple of Cuckoos
Love After World Domination
Trapped in a Dating Sim

chumbler posted:

The people wish to believe in love.

Judging from the fact that everything I watched is a Romcom apart from SpyxFamily (which is Romcom adjacent) I'd say this is true.

Anyway:

Spy X Family: I enjoyed the premise and the show in general. I didn't really think it was particularly outstanding but the jokes were fun in a lot of places. I'd like to see more from Yor in the second season. She felt very one note and pretty underdeveloped in general.

Kaguya s3: Absolutely outstanding. Episode 5 is probably one of the single best episodes I've ever seen an anime deliver with a frankly incredible ED. The finale was great, but that's not to put down any of the other episodes which held to a remarkably high standard. The English dub is somehow also just as amazing making an immediate rewatch seem fresh and fun.

Shikimori: Literally nothing happens. I've watched the entire season and absolutely nothing has changed. The single plotline they do has been the same one for every episode apart from the single episode where we find out that the Blue Haired girl lost so hard in this anime that she managed to take the L before the anime even started. Why have I watched the entire thing? Because I'm crazy and once I watch a single episode of anything I'm committed.

Komi San S2: This show is fine. The jokes aren't particularly outstanding but it at least did have one memorable one with all the guys bonding over posing in their undies.

A Couple of Cuckoos: I was in it for the incredibly trashy premise of whatever the gently caress you call marrying your parent's actual daughter after you accidentally switched places at birth. But the show doesn't seem to want to go anywhere interesting with it other than to your standard harem romcom setup. The show at the very least has enough trashiness to have this:

Love After World Domination: Actually really funny a lot of the time. I was a little down on it midway through the season but it picked up and is just ridiculous enough to be funny whilst entertaining a pretty predictable premise otherwise.

Trapped in a Dating Sim: I'm going to exclude Kaguya here because that show is so far above anything that it's not really fair. But absent that choice this was easily the best anime of the season. I went in for what I thought would be a massive dumpster fire and what I got instead was a compelling protagonist, supporting characters with agency and arcs and loving hell, a romantic arc that actually completes within twelve episodes. I shouldn't need to praise this, but I will because it is so loving rare to see happen. The animation is pretty terrible but honestly I'm just not here for that when I can get a show with a main character who ends the season with a real understanding of how to be a better person going forward.

And now back to our regularly schedule Shikimori argument.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't believe nobody has pointed out that Nekozaki is the one who is clearly gay for Shikimori.

Anyway, I can't see anybody really, hating the show; it's just kind of a pleasant thing to have on in the background. It's a low-key show where nothing really happens except some friends having a nice time while the animators use a really bizarre filter on their irises. The premise of Izumi-kun's supernatural bad luck makes you think it's going to get weirder, but it doesn't; it's just nice normal things happening to some nice kids.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Natural 20 posted:

A Couple of Cuckoos: I was in it for the incredibly trashy premise of whatever the gently caress you call marrying your parent's actual daughter after you accidentally switched places at birth. But the show doesn't seem to want to go anywhere interesting with it other than to your standard harem romcom setup. The show at the very least has enough trashiness to have this:

But shes still going to treat him like he is her brother, right. ...Right???

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I haven't watched the show but I certainly hope so. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

She knows she doesn't have a chance and puts all her hopes and dreams in her biological sister. He's still going for shrine girl so far