Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

h*ck yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh happy day

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Movie heads-up, the Fruits Basket prequel movie is apparently in theaters this evening only? I was just checking my local theater listings while out of town because I'm very normal and saw it listed for tonight. I can't go but I hope someone here can!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It already played in Canada. Unfortunately my city is a total crapshoot at getting anime movies and didn’t get it. I would have had to drive 2 hours to see it and I don’t have a job until august so that was a no go. Have to see it when it comes out on disc.

Kinda surprised that season 3 isn’t out on disc yet, actually.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

so yeah, i enjoyed this season quite a bit.

shield hero is my guilty pleasure. it's not a good anime - it's actually bad, but i enjoy watching it for a complete turn-brain-off half hour. some stuff is straight up absurdist in how stupid it is. there were actually a few nice episodes with (good) character development, so that was nice.

kongming was great. the biggest problem with it for me was the music. i legit couldn't stand the music scenes and for a music anime that was a bit of a letdown. i started skipping the music segments because i wanted to watch the story progress.

birdie wing was so good that it got me to watch a sports anime, and a golf anime at that. the second arc is a bit less insane/dramatic, but i'll still be tuning in in january to the second season. also, it made me learn the japanese word for the lily flower.

an excellent adaptation of the manga. i don't know why it didn't impact me as hard, maybe it's because i caught up with the manga not too long ago. still excellent, fun and pretty.

probably my aots pick*. very cool world, very cool way of doing videogame-y magic, great character designs and fun characters, good art seemingly held back a bit by budget sometimes; they use frames very sparingly in some of the slower dialogue scenes, the best OP of the season (i loving love Mili) and a fun, strong focus on the lily flower aspect. i want more.

it honestly feels almost unfair to have kaguya in the run for aots. how can anything else compete? kaguya continues working hard to keep the best romcom crown and has further increased its lead with this season. the (double-episode) finale was just 🤌

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I feel like they named the coach in Birdie Wing Amuro so they can reference mecha because it feels like with the revelation of his 'illness' that they're going for a Gunbuster coach ending for him. I know its not an uncommon trope but that was the first connection that sprung to mind.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Summertime Rendering has been the best anime of the season and nobody talks about it because I guess goons have gone soft and forgotten how to pirate? Sad!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eh pirating takes effort and there's already so much to watch. I'll just stick to CR and HiDive.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I feel like they named the coach in Birdie Wing Amuro so they can reference mecha because it feels like with the revelation of his 'illness' that they're going for a Gunbuster coach ending for him. I know its not an uncommon trope but that was the first connection that sprung to mind.

you should look up who voices him, and Leo (Eve's shady trainer)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

M_Gargantua posted:

It's a Bandai series with a character that's obsessed with Gunpla, what do you think lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Summertime Rendering has been the best anime of the season and nobody talks about it because I guess goons have gone soft and forgotten how to pirate? Sad!

I've been watching it, and while it's good, I don't think it's anime of the season. Kaguya does so much to elevate its source material that it's unreal, and the source material was first rate to start. Hard to beat that with a mere solid adaptation, especially when we're only halfway in.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mordja posted:

I have also been watching and enjoying Summertime Rendering and my anime of the season is Machikado Mazoku season 2.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mordja posted:

I've been watching it on and off, but I don't have much to say about it.

Also currently working on the summer thread, so it should hopefully be up either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have a hard time watching stuff i already read, so summertime being that + i have to more actively seek it out due to fansubs ended up killing it for me (at least for now). banger op and ed but you really feel the "slow" setup more as an anime and i wasn't as wowed visually as i hoped by the early eps.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

dogsicle posted:

By asking it's gotta be Amuro and Char, isn't it? I haven't even looked.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pirating is all good but i usually wait on 2+ cour shows to make sure they finish without a production or writing meltdown, since its a bigger time investment before that stuff becomes apparent

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

By asking it's gotta be Amuro and Char, isn't it? I haven't even looked.

you got it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

I got a ways into its manga and then fell off for some indeterminate reason so I'd rather just go back to it rather than watch it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Eagerly awaiting the ending when Aoi and Eve golf a colony on the final course/Aoi's mom

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

go full victory and have eve's amnesia caused by the traumatic death of her mother due to a giant golf cart accident

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What if we also go full Madlax though too? Secret gold books that can warp the world!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well now i'm just even more sure they're doing a Gunbuster-esq coach dies of cancer while they're touring and winning that big list of championships the mom listed, and their homecoming is bittersweet but they knew the risks when they got on the plane

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Well now i'm just even more sure they're doing a Gunbuster-esq coach dies of cancer while they're touring and winning that big list of championships the mom listed, and their homecoming is bittersweet but they knew the risks when they got on the plane

Ah, but in Gunbuster

Coach made it long enough for Kazumi to make it back and get married, despite everyone expecting him to die while they were gone.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mordja posted:

Didn't mention it because it's barely halfway through, but it's excellent as well. Right up there with Shokei Shoujo for me. Great mystery and atmosphere, good art and a banger op
Weak point for me is that some stuff is just really esoteric / not justified in universe / very grounded which is a style I don't like

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

coach amuro look exactly like aoi's dad, and nobody talks about it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

Ah, but in Gunbuster

Coach made it long enough for Kazumi to make it back and get married, despite everyone expecting him to die while they were gone.

Thank goodness for time dilation!

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eagerly awaiting the ending when Aoi and Eve golf a colony on the final course/Aoi's mom

I mean, Aoi's mom is named Seira. AKA Sayla. (Sadly, they could not bring Inoue You back to life to voice her.)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFS7ZvqOO_A

copy
Jul 26, 2007

badass lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
pretty much a perfect OP for this series

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Guess I'll check this out

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Thank goodness for time dilation!

Time Dilation is the problem here.

(HARD WORK AND GUTS is the solution.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Summer Thread is Up!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006045

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

With Machikado over I can safely say it was a good season with a few shows I really loved and will probably be in my top 10 (Machikado, Shoukei) other that while won't be there I did really like as well like Ya Boy Kongming, Love Live, Spy x Family. But off the shows I watched the biggest shock is the one I ended up hating the most is RPG Real Estate which I pegged as just being bland sub-par Kirara show and than the ending it tried to do serious like Machikado but failed enough that I really hated it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But off the shows I watched the biggest shock is the one I ended up hating the most is RPG Real Estate which I pegged as just being bland sub-par Kirara show and than the ending it tried to do serious like Machikado but failed enough that I really hated it.

Yeah that ending really come out of left field, it was all cutesy innocent adventures and lovely afternoon tea parties and wholesome pajama sleepovers and then in the penultimate episode the main character gets smashed into the ground during the final bossfight and dies in a huge pool of her own blood and everyone is too late to save her so the final episode is all the other characters weeping at her funeral. But then it turns out that the necromancer side character just happened to find her wandering soul and she resurrects her by shoving her spirit back into her corpse so everyone is happy again!

:wtc:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that ending really come out of left field, it was all cutesy innocent adventures and lovely afternoon tea parties and wholesome pajama sleepovers and then in the penultimate episode the main character gets smashed into the ground during the final bossfight and dies in a huge pool of her own blood and everyone is too late to save her so the final episode is all the other characters weeping at her funeral. But then it turns out that the necromancer side character just happened to find her wandering soul and she resurrects her by shoving her spirit back into her corpse so everyone is happy again!

:wtc:

Why do showrunners think this kind of poo poo is a good idea?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it is, because reading about it ooc like this made me laugh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dogsicle posted:

it is, because reading about it ooc like this made me laugh

Fair enough, but I don't think this is the reaction they were going for.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

By all reports the it's where the manga goes as apparently in volume 3/4 Satona is revealed to be an evil black dragon goo monster controlling Satona's body

Yeah like I said it's trying to be Machikado but doesn't have the chops to pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

drat, going to have to watch RPG Real Estate now.