Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is the anime thread for Ascendance of a Bookworm, please use spoilers if you are talking about the light novel or web novel as those far out-pace the anime’s place in the story.

Ascendance of a Bookworm is an isekai featuring Myne:

In a previous life she was Urano, a Japanese girl who absolutely loved books. Killed when she was crushed by a pile of books, she wished to reborn and again get an opportunity to read her beloved books. Unfortunately, the gods had a sense of humor as she was reborn in a world before the printing press was invented and books and literacy completely out of the reach of the common folk. Even worse, she was reborn as a poor, sickly commoner who was always on death’s door thanks to “The Devouring” a disease that usually kills children before they can be baptized.
Awakening to her life’s previous memories at the age of 5 after a dust with death as she suffers from an intense fever, she resolves to create her beloved books from her past life in this world.

Myne’s relatives:

Effa, her mother:

A commoner seamstress

Gunter, her father:

A member of the city guard

Tuuli, her sister:

Her very cute sister who is always looking after her, she also wants to take after her mother as a seamstress.

Mynes’s friends and acquaintances
Lutz, her friend:

Lutz is aware that she is a reincarnation after he noticed a substantial change in her behavior when she awakened to her previous life’s memories. He wants to be a merchant and has agreed to be the one who sells the inventions she creates as she works to build a printing press and develop paper and printing.

Benno, her business partner:

Benno owns the shop that invested in her initial papermaking and is her frequent business partner, buying up ideas from her and pushing her ideas.

Myne’s associates in the Temple:

Myne joins the temple at the end of season 1. After discovering that the temple has a library, she donated a large gold in it in order to become a blue priestess, something no commoner would normally be allowed to do. A large is also an absurd amount of money, it would translate to about $100,000. She also discovered there that her sickness, The Devouring, is due to her having mana, like a noble and that by using the magic tools at the Temple her Devouring sickness can be controlled.

Ferdinand, the Head Priest:

Ferdinand is the one in charge of running the day-to-day operations of the Temple, while the High Bishop/High Priest is in charge of the temple as a whole. He is the one who recognized her mana, and has been teaching and training her for her role as a blue priestess in her time in the Temple. Ferdinand is aware that she is a reincarnation due to searching her memories with a magic tool.

Bezewanst, the High Bishop (High Priest in the anime):

Bezewanst is the blue priest Myne first met when she went to the temple. He seemed kindly at first, but when it was discovered that she had mana and was a rich commoner sought to take her from her family. He was nearly killed by Myne’s “crushing” but Ferdinand calmed her down.

????

This character has appeared in the anime trailers for the new season. He will be a major character this season. He appears to be a blue priest.

Myne’s retainers as a blue priestess:
Fran:

Fran is Myne's head attendant at the Temple.

Gil:

A hot-headed kid.

Delia

A girl placed by Bezewanst to watch over her

Myne’s noble associates:
Damuel, the knight

Damual was charged with protecting Myne when she was taken along with Ferdinand to eliminate a Trombe, a dangerous fey-plant. He and his fellow knight did an absolutely terrible job protecting her, actually harming her in the process and she needed to be saved by Ferdinand and the rest of the Knights. Myne did intercede on Damuel’s behalf as he did try to protect her against the other knight which harmed her.

Karstedt, the knight commander

Karstedt was in charge of the knights during the Trombe extermination. He apologized to Myne after she was attacked by the knights assigned to her and agree to replace her damaged robes after she requested it. Karstedt is aware she is a reincarnation as he loaned the magic tool that Ferdinand used to search her memories and was briefed on the results of investigation.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Not watching it myself, but I can appreciate it for being something truly original in the Sea of Mediocrity that is the LN Isekai genre.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
The stuff they're adapting for this season is a really good part! in fact it's sort of a natural point to adapt it to and it was kind of bizarre where they left off the anime before. the part adapted in the first season is a bit slow and not very flashy as far as showing off the worldbuild so it's understandable that it didn't hook a ton of fans. but season two is more eventful and sets things up well for this season, which, again, is some of my favorite stuff in the series. I recommend checking it out! it's doing something a little different from generic isekai but you can also think of the story as the paperclips ai (but for books) is a little moe gremlin, and that frames it about as effectively.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
S2 really, really drifted away from what made S1 interesting and I was really skeeved out by the priest using a non-consensual psychic mind reading crown on Myne at the end of the season, along with the general implications of well, she's such a high-valued asset to the church that she should be married immediately as a child bride!

I'm excited about how many ways S3 can show how hosed up this world is! :stonklol:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Since I know there there are people around who have read the books/WN in japanese:

The japanese audiobook version is read by Myne (Iguchi Yuka), and you can get all* of it from free** on the japanese version of Audible.

* currently up to volume 14, with a new volume every 3 months
** Japanese Audible works like Kindle Umlimited, where it is just a flat 1500yen fee per month, for as many books as you want (not like the western versions where you have to buy each title and the subscription only gets you one credit every month). And there is a free trial, which is enough to grab all the books that are out right now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

S2 really, really drifted away from what made S1 interesting and I was really skeeved out by the priest using a non-consensual psychic mind reading crown on Myne at the end of the season, along with the general implications of well, she's such a high-valued asset to the church that she should be married immediately as a child bride!

I'm excited about how many ways S3 can show how hosed up this world is! :stonklol:

Don't worry, I'm sure that this time the nobles will be kind, caring, and considerate!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FilthyImp posted:

Bookworm is all about Myne dealing with nobles who have a completely different moral system than the one she grew up with in modern day Japan rather than the usual situation of either everybody having anachronistic morals or turning them all into complete monsters (Not that history isn't full of nobles that were horrible monsters). Its one of the things that makes it stand out from other series.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You can also see how they arrived at the morals they have as the story dives into things more deeply. Not that they are justified, but the author put a lot of thought into how the evolution of the societal systems in the world would develop.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
The writing process was supposedly worldbuild-first according to author interviews, and the sociology mostly has a very direct, functionalist logic, strongly shaped by conflicts internal to the special fantasy systems. some minor details are just stuff they heard had happened in europe or whatever but things fit together in a way that is quite straightforward from the premises (that are not really known to the reader for a long time). then, once the world is constructed, the story is written by throwing a book gremlin into it.

Anyway yes the arc of season 3 is definitely a very good time from the standpoint of the nobles respecting the autonomy of commoners.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Season 1 and 2 were very good and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

Not watching it myself, but I can appreciate it for being something truly original in the Sea of Mediocrity that is the LN Isekai genre.

You should, it's very enjoyable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Those who are interested in the LN series but haven't taken the plunge, J-Novel club has put the entire series on "catchup" which means if you subscribe (for even one month) to their regular membership (you don't need to sign up for premium, though it will also get you access to catchups) you get access to the ENTIRE published set of 17 volumes through their app or website while the catchup lasts and you're subscribed. I think catchups are a month long.

https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/5482/don-t-forget-to-get-your-taxes-done-with-all-these-april-catchups

https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm

Those who are anime only could theoretically pick up at Part 2 Volume 3, which is where this season starts.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2022

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those who are interested in the LN series but haven't taken the plunge, J-Novel club has put the entire series on "catchup" which means if you subscribe (for even one month) to their regular membership (you don't need to sign up for premium, though it will also get you access to catchups) you get access to the ENTIRE published set of 17 volumes through their app or website while the catchup lasts and you're subscribed. I think catchups are a month long.

https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/5482/don-t-forget-to-get-your-taxes-done-with-all-these-april-catchups

https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm

Those who are anime only could theoretically pick up at Part 2 Volume 3, which is where this season starts.

Catchups do indeed run for one month.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gremlin mode, activate!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gremlin mode, activate!

Hooray for double Myneday! And the chibis are back!

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Some pretty harsh skipping around between locations and yanking characters through their intros to run the pacing hot, but that's common enough for new season openers I suppose; we've got important stuff to get to. feeling p good about how it looks overall. suspect that Frieda is the only person who intuits that a first edition Myne bible is going to be something of a collectible someday.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kirtar posted:

Hooray for double Myneday! And the chibis are back!

Big fan of the latest prepub. I've definetly vibed with that.

"Accept your fate."

"Fine.... Bye."

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

"Accept your fate."

"Fine.... Bye."

Indeed. I'm looking forward to next week's given where it left off this week.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

this allusion meant posted:

Some pretty harsh skipping around between locations and yanking characters through their intros to run the pacing hot, but that's common enough for new season openers I suppose; we've got important stuff to get to. feeling p good about how it looks overall. suspect that Frieda is the only person who intuits that a first edition Myne bible is going to be something of a collectible someday.

"My descendants are gonna loan this sucker to museums someday."

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

"Accept your fate."

"Fine.... Bye."

Don’t know if it’s pure coincidence or over-hopeful imagination on my part, but it kinda feels to me like a bunch of threads and general concerns from pre-part-3 (so, stuff being currently animated) are finally getting picked back up in the light novel english translation after spending some time off. can’t imagine they’d (the production committee or whatever) care where we’re at overseas but it seems serendipitous at least. exciting times.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I have an absolutely BONKERS amount of fanart of this series (over 1000 images and over 1.5 gigs). I'm glad to see the new season is generating a bunch more for this part of the story.

https://twitter.com/tobesuna/status/1514262162495406082
https://twitter.com/shinohaland/status/1507723469659668480
https://twitter.com/amamine35/status/1326884676556894208

I would caution folks against seeking out stuff though, as there's a LOT of spoilers to potentially to be had if you go looking for it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There were some uh interesting adaptation decisions this episode.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Could you elaborate? I don't read the LN.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I Am Fowl posted:

Could you elaborate? I don't read the LN.

The biggest issues appeared in the back half of the episode. One example is that Karstedt handing Benno the bag of money is out of character since it is beneath a(n) archnoble/high class noble to actually deal out payment on their own like that since that's what their underlings are for. In this case, what should have happened is that Damuel would hand over the bag since he is a subordinate who got a demotion to basically being a page.

Some explanations about Shikikoza's family got left out including why the public story is different. His father was basically given the choice of sign a contract to never deal with Myne again in return for covering it up and by extension not jointly punishing the rest of the family. Myne's reaction to the adoption offer was also pretty robotic, but that seems to be a direction decision to audio cue her going into mana overflow mode since they did a similar thing when she crushed the old fart in the first season.

There were also some just terrible translation decisions like Lutz saying he was going to visit a papyrus workshop, but that's just part of the fact that this is more or less commercialized speedsubbing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honestly I prefer the fansubbers for this show. They don't do weird stuff like calling plant paper papyrus and use "Myne" for her name instead of "Main"

The crunchyroll translation of Ferdinand and Bez's job (Head Priest and High Priest correspondingly) is just confusingly similar, whereas the LN makes their job names more distinct (Head Priest and High Bishop). It's also more clear who's in charge of who as a bishop is more obviously in charge of a mere priest, wheras who's in charge between a head priest and a high priest?

Not sure why the crunchyroll subbers deviated so much from English translations, especially when there's a really good wiki for the series with all these characters' titles and names. It's honestly more work for them to go out of their way to make them worse or more confusing than if the just followed the LN names.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly I prefer the fansubbers for this show. They don't do weird stuff like calling plant paper papyrus and use "Myne" for her name instead of "Main"

The crunchyroll translation of Ferdinand and Bez's job (Head Priest and High Priest correspondingly) is just confusingly similar, whereas the LN makes their job names more distinct (Head Priest and High Bishop). It's also more clear who's in charge of who as a bishop is more obviously in charge of a mere priest, wheras who's in charge between a head priest and a high priest?

Not sure why the crunchyroll subbers deviated so much from English translations, especially when there's a really good wiki for the series with all these characters' titles and names. It's honestly more work for them to go out of their way to make them worse or more confusing than if the just followed the LN names.
To be fair, when they started subbing the wiki was still run by people who were resisting a lot of Quof's choices with regards to names. For example, I don't think Sylvester's article got changed from Jilvester until well after the relevant volume released and there were a number of other names where they insisted on direct romanization and whatnot. That said, iirc the subbers actually flip flopped from Myne to Main after the first episode.

Some of the sub choices like however they rendered Shikikoza (I think it was like... Schicicoza or something?) are somewhat understandable since the localization choices in the LN stray too far from the underlying audio. In that case they took a similar approach of trying to make it look more German, but were constrained by the media. That said, I think just using the Romaji would have been fine there since nobody in their right mind is going to believe that the name is actually based on German.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 19, 2022

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Myne is much better spelling if you want to know how her name is actually pronounced.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I do prefer Maine, but Myne was chosen after consulting with Miya Kazuki. Also yeah when I was reading raw I was trying to figure out what German-sounding word Shikikoza could possibly be and it turned out it's some Japanese anagram pertaining to trash mobs.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Yeah it’s just zako kishi->shikikoza. the ln tries for “Shikza” but that is unfortunately similar to a word in a germanic language that doesn’t really pertain to the character and can be contextually offensive. no real good options since it’s a throwaway name for a throwaway character.

Main/Myne is a bit moot for subs since people just say the name very distinctly in the audio and you never have difficulty picking it out even if you have zero familiarity with japanese. one is more germanic, one is a concession to the fact the main translation market is english, whatever, no accounting for taste either way.

CR continues to be a sweatshop but i mean what can anyone do about that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought the reason for Main is that at one point in the anime she actually writes out her name and it's Main. (Since the letters in this are messed-around-with latin alphabet letters)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

I thought the reason for Main is that at one point in the anime she actually writes out her name and it's Main. (Since the letters in this are messed-around-with latin alphabet letters)

That's probably because her name (マイン in katakana) is Romanized into Main regardless of whether you use Hepburn, Nihon-shiki, or Kunrei-shiki.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Oh hey, look that mysterious blue priest who was in the promotional material showed up today. Guess we'll find out more about him next week!

Damuel getting to experience not being bullied by other nobles for once.

Edit, also thank god they didn't use "oink" for the Puhi.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 25, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Oh, the dedication hall looks quite nice for a scene we don't see much of. You can always count on a good panning shot of a mosaic or relief carving over an altar to make an impression I guess.

Otherwise quite messy subs, but yes, praise be to the gods, no oink.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh hey, look that mysterious blue priest who was in the promotional material showed up today. Guess we'll find out more about him next week!

Damuel getting to experience not being bullied by other nobles for once.

Edit, also thank god they didn't use "oink" for the Puhi.

I'm glad they included that lunch side story. Maybe we'll get more of them in season in that case.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/SoundlessWind/status/1518794666107416576

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/polkiuu/status/1515255714184314880?s=20&t=IexnDt-N7VkzP98YXA3g9g

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For LN readers, J-Novel Club has started publishing/prepubbing the Royal Academy Stories - First Year side story volume. It's clear to read once you've read 4.3.

https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-royal-academy-stories-first-year Link underneath the spoiler.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 1, 2022

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

For LN readers, J-Novel Club has started publishing/prepubbing the Royal Academy Stories - First Year side story volume. If It's clear to read once you've read 4.3.

https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-royal-academy-stories-first-year Link underneath the spoiler.

Hell yes more bookworm. So we have LN prepub and anime on Myneday, the short stories on Fridays, and Manga every other Friday.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arno's such a good attendant! Planning ahead for all of Ferdinand's needs and anticipating everything!

We get to see my favorite outfit for Myne now!

Shame they toned down the detail so much.

Shame they left out the reason why Myne offering Sylvester half of her plate was a faux pas.

Oops! Teehee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
I missed the various subtle bits of damuel being extra cowed around sylvester. he's just a funny guy to have unfortunate stuff happen to, especially when he doesn't deserve it.