Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

this allusion meant posted:

Ya done goofed again, Damuel.

It's okay. He called rott. The knights order should be coming shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Yes, of course. and in the worst case she’s got that thing from Sylvester. he seems to have some connections. surely everything is fine and will return to normal soon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Preview images for the next episode are out. If you're not a LN reader you probably shouldn't look.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well that's the penultimate episode.

Gunther and Damuel save Myne and Tuuli from kidnapping. Myne uses the charm brother Sylvester gave her to call for help.

Alas, her troubles didn't stop there as the two of them (and Fran) to have to fight an archnoble from Ahrensbach and the High Bishop in order to stop her from being enslaved as a devouring commoner soldier.

Our kindly santa even drains the young Dirk in an attempt to fight Myne, but her enormous mana capacity allows her to hold her own against a fully trained noble for quite a while.

Damuel gives a credible showing against 3 commoner devouring soldiers and an archnoble but is overwhelmed as well.

Ferdinand shows up after the huge ruckus outside and is nearly forced to arrest Myne, but the fact that she stamped her blood on the charm from brother Sylvester turns out to have saved herself and her family as Sylvester will be adopting her. Ferdinand reveals he's a full noble as well and starts having a wizard dual with the Ahrensbach noble

With Myne praying to the goddess of wind to protect her, Fran, Dirk, Delia, Gunther, and Damuel from the splash damage.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yes Myne, kill them all. :unsmigghh:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

an archnoble from Ahrensbach

Count Ooishi

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I kinda miss when this show was about books

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Talorat posted:

I kinda miss when this show was about books

Accidentally kicking off a deadly power struggle in the halls of power just by existing is books as gently caress.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Hrm. I feel like the last two eps probably shoulda did the thing some shows do where they skip the op sections when crunched for time and expanded some of the dialogue, or put in a few meaningful pauses here and there (especially the explanations for why the stuff in the temple played out the way it did went by a bit too quick or not at all). it feels like some of the weight in these interactions is lacking compared to reading them. and post-credits was incredibly rushed. ah well. it's a story about books, so you should read the books.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Not overly impressed with the quality of the anime TBH. The light novels are certainly much better and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in the story.

I'd also recommend you start at least at 2.3 so you can watch Damuel loose his mind in the background while on spring prayer as he has to pretend the Aub is a blue priest.

quote:

In the end, Sylvester settled for half of my food, his curiosity getting the best of him. It seemed that although half-empty plates were sometimes given to attendants, nobody gave away just half of whatever they were eating to someone. Karstedt and the High Priest gave exasperated sighs as they rubbed their temples, while Damuel was frozen in place with an expression straight out of The Scream.

Myne's death and Rozemyne's creation was also far more impactful in the LN. The art is way better too.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 14, 2022

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Having the grey priests get executed instead of exploded in the magic duel changes the context of their deaths a ton and makes it considerably more hosed up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh that explains why that bit felt off. Odd change. Maybe (I'm assuming you mean exploded literally) they just felt that level of violence would feel tonally off when animated in a way it didn't in text.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah the action wasn't well executed here, pacing felt all wrong.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Gonna throw my vote behind "if you like it at all read the books" as well. The books balance the intrigue, occasional bouts of action and continued slice of life stuff very well. Next book comes out on Wednesday so a decent time to start, though I would also recommend starting from earlier to get some of the stuff the anime missed. The book series as a whole is nearly complete with only something like 3 more books to come out in Japan.

Definitely don't google the series though, even the arc title's contain big spoilers like the third arc name being Adopted Daughter of an Archduke

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

this allusion meant posted:

ah well. it's a story about books, so you should read the books.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not overly impressed with the quality of the anime TBH. The light novels are certainly much better and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in the story.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Myne's death and Rozemyne's creation was also far more impactful in the LN. The art is way better too.

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Read the books

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Sindai posted:

Oh that explains why that bit felt off. Odd change. Maybe (I'm assuming you mean exploded literally) they just felt that level of violence would feel tonally off when animated in a way it didn't in text.
I think it's a very tonally important aspect of the scene; it's very different from the rest of the arc because it's the climax of part 2 and it's supposed to be shocking. basically the mana of Ferdinand and Bindewald's duel radiates and bounces around the room and destroys them. the power of mana to overwhelm commoners was sort of brushed off in the spring prayer bit because it was far away and you didn't have to see or think about what happened (deliberately; you're not supposed to have your attention drawn too obviously toward what Sylvester's true status might be at that stage), but in that scene it's basically crushing them (crush being their term for raw mana damage that we've see Myne doing when she gets angry; this generally starts with difficulty breathing and progresses to internal bleeding and presumably organ failure) as the duelists do a little power up before shooting their kimana attacks, which basically eradicates the commoners' bodies entirely as collateral damage. correspondingly, there's a bit more of a panicked effort to get into Myne's shield as this is about to happen and some drama there. following the somewhat dramatic legal twist immediately preceding it (there's a heavier moment where, when Ferdinand is confirming to Myne that she's probably gonna be executed with her family and attendants, she remarks that this would've worked out better if she'd gone all out and killed them in time to hide the evidence, and he basically says yeah you really screwed that one up; the anime really undersells the drama that Ferdinand is supposed to have in all this) it all serves to accentuate how seemingly arbitrary and capricious the terrifying power of the nobles is to the common people blown around by their schemes, in a visceral way that stands out even in the context of everything that led up to that point. related to this, all the mana-derived injuries are supposed to be fairly extensive burns rather than small red cuts.

On a practical level it's understandable that certain aspects of that would have been difficult to animate. it kinda seems like the production team went into the project prepared to do the slow-paced season 1 stuff of making tablets and shampoo and never really developed the action and drama capabilities to make the ending of this part work. in some ways the unbalanced nature of the action distribution in the series makes it inherently annoying to produce as an anime. finally, most light novel anime adaptations are basically just ads for the light novel anyway, and there's probably good reason to think this series in particular has an intrinsic above-average uptake rate on that, so maybe it's actually functional to some of the stakeholders in this to do a disappointing job in certain aspects.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Read the books

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They should have delayed this episode, it's simply not finished.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wasn't really enthralled with all the intrigue and bullshit from the Church that started up in season 2 or whatever it was, and this chapter ending really leaves me cold. A very calculated way to trim some characters and go back to Myne Makes Books at the expense of feeling like it came about in a fulfilling way. "Yeah, this weird noble basically wanted to kidnap your daughter and the church was in on it... but you also hurt his feelings and so I guess you all have to die now unless we have your daughter make yet another emotionally and psychologically draining decision about her life because She's Just That Special and there are no grey areas in our laws"

sirtommygunn posted:

They should have delayed this episode, it's simply not finished.
Myne's force crush is foreshadowed and then just makes people... cough a bit. Okayyyy.

They obviously spent their time on the cool capstone with the AoE Heal Spell and blessing for the family at the expense of the crazy action scenes, unfortunately.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I wasn't really enthralled with all the intrigue and bullshit from the Church that started up in season 2 or whatever it was, and this chapter ending really leaves me cold. A very calculated way to trim some characters and go back to Myne Makes Books at the expense of feeling like it came about in a fulfilling way. "Yeah, this weird noble basically wanted to kidnap your daughter and the church was in on it... but you also hurt his feelings and so I guess you all have to die now unless we have your daughter make yet another emotionally and psychologically draining decision about her life because She's Just That Special and there are no grey areas in our laws"

No?

Vague spoilers on later stuff but except for the characters that died none of the characters are cut. They may not be as prominent but they stick around.

The nature of the law not having grey area is something that's been shown repeatedly as part of a rigidly hierarchal society, and even then it's pretty obvious that there's also an element of Ferdinand and Sylvester wanting to maintain control of Myne.

As for Myne being special, at this point it should start to become clear that something more is going on both in terms of how desperate Ferdinand is to keep her around and how things are working out in general.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

That's... not at all what happened. The world of Bookworm is an extremely hierarchical one. We saw that back in the Trombe extermination mission as well when Damuel was afraid to interfere with Shikza's terrorizing of Myne, despite her being their charge. Shkiza was a mednoble and higher in rank than Damuel, a Laynoble (or as the anime renders it, middle noble and lower noble). Shikza himself got in trouble not for hurting a commoner, but because he disobeyed the orders of the highest ranked noble there, Ferdinand, to protect her. If Ferdinand had told them to stay put there but hadn't ordered him to protect Myne then he'd have been completely in his rights to mess with Myne all he wanted.

Myne attacking an Archnoble like Bindewald, even in self-defense, is a crime against the order that the society is built on and punishable by death normally. She was only saved because she ended up being a higher status noble herself thanks to her stamping her blood on the charm "brother" Sylvester gave her earlier which formalized an adoption to the Archduke of the duchy. Thus it became Bindewald who was attacking the Archduke Candidate Rozemyne, rather than a commoner fighting a Archnoble.

The rest of the stuff with the magical contract after that fight weren't strictly needed to adopt her to Sylvester. That was already done. But it was needed to provide the believable backstory so that other nobles would buy where she came from.

FilthyImp posted:

Myne's force crush is foreshadowed and then just makes people... cough a bit. Okayyyy.

Crushing is basically as the name implies and it makes you unable to breath and can stop your heart if it's powerful enough. Bezewanst collapsed into unconsciousness when he was released from her Crushing back when she joined the temple.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 18, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrousoxide posted:

That's... not at all what happened. The world of Bookworm is an extremely hierarchical one.
I think this is what is a downer for me when it gets to it.

I got all the machinations and plans within plans in the episode, it's just not my thing I guess when the comeuppance is one-hand-tied-behind-my-back stuff.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I just finished reading the LNs all the way through part 4 volume 7 along with a couple extras, 5840 pages by my count. Generally good stuff, hoping to see more of it adapted to anime in the future.

And yeah, because of the sheer extremity of how hierarchical that noble society is it is no wonder all the biggest jerks in this series are nobles, having to navigate a society like that could make anyone a jerk. It is so bad it pretty much breaks immersion every time it comes up, every "proper" interaction is so frustratingly tedious you pretty much have to hand wave that the only reason this society functions at all is because of some component built in to the literal magic that the rest of the world runs off of.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
It's pretty much a slave state

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

And yeah, because of the sheer extremity of how hierarchical that noble society is it is no wonder all the biggest jerks in this series are nobles, having to navigate a society like that could make anyone a jerk. It is so bad it pretty much breaks immersion every time it comes up, every "proper" interaction is so frustratingly tedious you pretty much have to hand wave that the only reason this society functions at all is because of some component built in to the literal magic that the rest of the world runs off of.

Yeah, the laynobles, like Damuel, tend to be the most relatable folks since they are on the bottom of the noble totem pole and are used to getting kicked around by higher tier nobles. Generally the higher up in rank you go the more of a jerk they tend to be to those below them, Sylvester and his family being the exception.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Sounds like most every feudal state in the world before about 1500 AD, honestly, with the extreme societal stratification and innumerable glass ceilings. That was just the status quo. Magic doesn't enter into it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mirage posted:

Sounds like most every feudal state in the world before about 1500 AD, honestly, with the extreme societal stratification and innumerable glass ceilings. That was just the status quo. Magic doesn't enter into it.

Magic enters into it a little bit. Losing control of your emotions could end up with someone dead in a very immediate sense, which is a good reason for all the involved ceremony and etiquette. A lot of the world building of the nobility is a ways out yet, but this is very much a world where the French Revolution is impossible and would drive humanity to extinction.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

LostRook posted:

this is very much a world where the French Revolution is impossible and would drive humanity to extinction.

Well, more like the immediate execution of everyone involved in the revolution, since there is precedent for mass executions of both commoners and nobility who are perceived as rebellious

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Have the books gone far enough to explore the political and social ramifications of Myne making books widely affordable, thus making her All Of The Money?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Myne really isn't interested in the profit aspect.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Islamic Shock posted:

Have the books gone far enough to explore the political and social ramifications of Myne making books widely affordable, thus making her All Of The Money?

If you want to know regarding bookmaking up to the current released Light novel it's a major industry in the duchy with many provinces starting up paper making or printing operations and plans to introduce it to the country at large next year

Rozemyne is probably one of the wealthiest people in the duchy thanks to it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 19, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

the accounting post part 2 doesn't really make sense to me and i can't really come up with a schedule of prices that makes anything specifically listed sound plausible. i think this is partly deliberate; the nature of money in noble society is that it's embarrassing to not have enough of it, but past that more of it won't necessarily increase status or power without very strategic use. however at the current point in time the new books are not in fact widely affordable, and seem to only be discounted by a large but not world-changing fraction. the demand isn't there to absorb true mass market volume and i think printing is still a high-margin, low-volume industry with high startup risk. either way she doesn't seem to have any budgetary constraints on any activities by this point and it's no longer a relevant concern. the primary limitations on her actions can generally be described as aristocratic careerism and information-control based politics

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you want to know regarding bookmaking up to the current released Light novel it's a major industry in the duchy with many provinces starting up paper making or printing operations and plans to introduce it to the country at large next year

Rozemyne is probably one of the wealthiest people in the duchy thanks to it.

Thanks. Basically, it sounds like she played things about right. I suppose the story is a lot about how she avoided a lot of traps along the way. How much harassment does she get out of jealous/poor/whatever nobles? It's a common trope for the MC in isekais to own the everloving poo poo out of challengers with their OP powers, but in this case I don't think that applies. Probably either outwit or out-mana, hopefully the former.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 19, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thanks. Basically, it sounds like she played things about right. I suppose the story is a lot about how she avoided a lot of traps along the way. How much harassment does she get out of jealous/poor/whatever nobles? It's a common trope for the MC in isekais to own the everloving poo poo out of challengers with their OP powers, but in this case I don't think that applies. Probably either outwit or out-mana, hopefully the former.

Well remember that she's leapfrogging to the top of the noble totem pole by being adopted to the Archduke. So folks won't be able to openly try to crush her like they did as a shrine maiden. That doesn't mean she's not going to have pushback or bumps in her plan to expand access to books. I would just recommend you read the light novels. They are really good and we're nearing the end of part 4 now, with the final book in that part having just entered prepub today.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Granted Rosemyne still has some common trope bullshit OP powers, even if she still has close to zero physical stamina she can actually out-mana all but a handful of characters. It was mentioned a couple times that she has more mana than even the archduke, though supposedly Ferdinand has more but it has never been stated outright?

Also she can out-sass just about anyone, usually entirely by accident and with hilarious consequences as all her attendants inwardly panic over what she just said or did. Usually followed by giving everyone present permanent emotional trauma when she finally does pass out mid sentence and collapse to the floor like a puppet with its strings cut which she still does most times she gets excited. Pretty much all of her attendants, friends and family are either going to have PTSD or already do.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah as far as I know Ferdinand is her equal in mana but it's not clear.

Her powers do help her when her life is in immediate peril, but I think the big difference with other isekai protagonists is that her OP cheat power, rather than helping her steamroll her way through life, more often than not just makes her into a huge political tool.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would just recommend you read the light novels.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Her superpower is fainting for real in a manner nobody ever doubts.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm slowly catching up with the LNs and it is going to be hilarious if it turns out that (theory based on key 4.7 information) Myne qualifies to be king because of the children's bibles she localized. Doubly hilarious if she starts getting random reports of kids seeing magic circles pop up above their copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Argue posted:

I'm slowly catching up with the LNs and it is going to be hilarious if it turns out that (theory based on key 4.7 information) Myne qualifies to be king because of the children's bibles she localized. Doubly hilarious if she starts getting random reports of kids seeing magic circles pop up above their copies.

She speculates that its due to something that changed in the last year since she read that book the previous year and didn't notice anything.