Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
There's a particular "what did that end up doing" event in that time frame that really sticks out as a possible trigger, tho with some kind of indirect logic at play. I'm still really torn on whether I think the instructions on becoming zent are a sort of constitutional procedure that simply marks someone as a legitimate king, and maybe enables some functions that are convenient but neither necessary nor sufficient to rule, or whether doing the steps will actually cause state power and/or feudal fealty to miraculously manifest the way the haldenzel prayer ritual manifests the spring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well Bookworm's part 4 has completed prepub. If you're interested in wrapping up that part grabbing prepub is a good time now.

Also I've taken a look at the name and cover for 5.1 and I am EXTREMELY excited for this next book.

according to the wiki. Part 5 is called: Incarnation of the Goddess
and this is the next cover:

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 6, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Any reason to skip the prepub and wait for the final release? Or is it just mostly name corrections and spelling/punctuation cleanup?

Hoping the cast of people suffering headaches over "She did WHAT now?" is always growing. Nobody is safe, maybe soon even the royal family will learn the true terror of the rampaging book gremlin. Especially if she is now fully healthy and Ferdinand will no longer be as easily available to help contain her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

Any reason to skip the prepub and wait for the final release? Or is it just mostly name corrections and spelling/punctuation cleanup?

Hoping the cast of people suffering headaches over "She did WHAT now?" is always growing. Nobody is safe, maybe soon even the royal family will learn the true terror of the rampaging book gremlin. Especially if she is now fully healthy and Ferdinand will no longer be as easily available to help contain her.

The full release will just have the corrections integrated and will include the full color insert and the 4koma at the end.

You can look up the full color insert on the wiki if you want (I'd recommend waiting until you get to the end of the book).

Also if you preorder the book on J-Novel club you get access to the pre-pub even without subscribing, and of course you'll get the final version too.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
there's occasionally typos and formatting errors in prepub but rarely anything consequential

the translator (he posts on the subreddit, and sometimes describes correspondence with the author on translation questions, which is a little interesting) says they changed some names in the early volumes such that paper, old digital, and latest digital copies aren't totally aligned but I don't remember which ones and don't remember caring at the time when I saw the post

re: that p5v1 cover, aw gee it sucks having to do school stuff twice when no one else has to, it's so embarrassing

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BTW, those of you following along with the LN, Troll City just released another fan translation of a side story, this time of the Rainbow Hair Stick's creation from a Ferdinand POV Part 4 Vol 9. This is the side story you'd normally get along with buying Drama CD 4.

https://trollcitytranslations.wordpress.com/https-trollcitytranslations-wordpress-com-table-of-contents/

They have a bunch of other side story fan translations for other stuff that's unlikely to ever get a real official translation due to them being bonuses for merch or Drama CD's.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

lmao hartmut

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Is he supposed to be comedy psycho or genuinely alarming psycho?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A jargogle posted:

Is he supposed to be comedy psycho or genuinely alarming psycho?

I do like how she takes queues that maybe something she suggested is a bad idea when he enthusiastically agrees with them.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
genuinely alarming to the reader but in the context that significant proportions of the nobles are either just going nuts trying to get into these kinds of one-way devotional relationships, or else swaying whichever the way the wind blows all the time. it’s bad but also sorta normal because it makes sense within their society, which is how you can tell their society is bad. like a lot of his complaints about the shortcomings of roderick and philine are perfectly sensible for general purposes, and wanting to offer his name is normally a trustworthy thing. it’s comedic not because it’s not dangerous (what happens if he asks the gutenbergs some questions about their origins?) but because all you can imagine doing for now is laughing it off, ha ha normal world

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Having just caught up with the anime and reading other poster's thoughts in this thread, trying to read the LN ebooks on a budget has been... disheartening. Do series sometimes repeat being on "Catchup" mode on J-novel Club? Does this publisher ever have sales or anything like that?

Part 2 Volume 1 is where I assume I should start from to fill in things the anime couldn't quite adapt properly.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, catching up to everything in the light novels is about $150 USD. It is also about 6000 pages available currently, so not a quick read by any means. I would normally suggest just spreading it out over time, no need to buy the WHOLE thing all at once since it will take a good while to read it all anyway.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Manyorcas posted:

Having just caught up with the anime and reading other poster's thoughts in this thread, trying to read the LN ebooks on a budget has been... disheartening. Do series sometimes repeat being on "Catchup" mode on J-novel Club? Does this publisher ever have sales or anything like that?

Part 2 Volume 1 is where I assume I should start from to fill in things the anime couldn't quite adapt properly.

J-Novel club had a catch-up for the LN right when season 3 came out so they do happen. I'm... doubtful... you'll see another one soon though. As for sales, they don't generally have them on J-Novel club, but you could grab a subscription and that will give you a 15% discount on purchases plus you get 699 coins included with the sub each month (the cost of one book) and can read the future books on pre-pub for free with the included subscription.

That'd probably be your cheapest option. You could get the 24 books currently available for purchase (the 21 mainline, 2 fanbooks, and 1 RAS) for $142 rather than $168.

I personally picked up the LN at 2.3 after season 2. I've been told I'm a fool for skipping the first 5 books and am missing a lot of forshadowing though so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit, there's also always the free option of the machine translated web-novel. I've tried reading a chapter to two of it and it was a dreadful experience though.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 11, 2022

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
SA goon blastron has a good quality non-machine translation (albeit with different names) of the first 96 chapters (from the web version, not the LN) if you'd like to save money; that's all of part 1 and a little bit of part 2. It covers most of the stuff the first season of the anime left out; the LNs have some extra side stories but they aren't hugely important. I omitted the link because I'm not sure if that's okay, since the LN's been licensed, but it should be easy to find. It covers up to 2/3rds of the way through Part 2 book 1, minus a few LN-original side stories.

The anime is definitely heavily truncated and kind of shafts you on worldbuilding--there are entire chapters that are removed or cut down to like, a still frame and a ten second voiceover--and a lot of it does come up again in the future, but Myne does explain things when the story reaches very far back into the past, so it might not be that bad to skip if you're on a budget. Blastron's translation should give you a good point of comparison to determine whether or not you feel you're missing out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I personally picked up the LN at 2.3 after season 2. I've been told I'm a fool for skipping the first 5 books and am missing a lot of forshadowing though so take that with a grain of salt.

Honestly the thing you're missing out on the most is all the world building. While that was a weakness of the anime it's one of the greatest strengths of the LN, and probably my favorite part.

I've read up to part 4 volume 3 or so twice (I was bored), and beyond that only once. There is a ton of foreshadowing and while it's nice it is "oh gee that's neat" territory.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Argue posted:

SA goon blastron has a good quality non-machine translation (albeit with different names) of the first 96 chapters (from the web version, not the LN) if you'd like to save money; that's all of part 1 and a little bit of part 2. It covers most of the stuff the first season of the anime left out; the LNs have some extra side stories but they aren't hugely important. I omitted the link because I'm not sure if that's okay, since the LN's been licensed, but it should be easy to find. It covers up to 2/3rds of the way through Part 2 book 1, minus a few LN-original side stories.

The anime is definitely heavily truncated and kind of shafts you on worldbuilding--there are entire chapters that are removed or cut down to like, a still frame and a ten second voiceover--and a lot of it does come up again in the future, but Myne does explain things when the story reaches very far back into the past, so it might not be that bad to skip if you're on a budget. Blastron's translation should give you a good point of comparison to determine whether or not you feel you're missing out.

Also fun fact: Quof mentions blastron regarding the translation of the title.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HonzukiNoGekokujou/comments/hhhv05/gekokujo_and_revolution_in_ascendance_of_a/fwameae/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I prefer the alternate title:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Triumph of the Will of a Bookworm

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

J-Novel club had a catch-up for the LN right when season 3 came out so they do happen. I'm... doubtful... you'll see another one soon though. As for sales, they don't generally have them on J-Novel club, but you could grab a subscription and that will give you a 15% discount on purchases plus you get 699 coins included with the sub each month (the cost of one book) and can read the future books on pre-pub for free with the included subscription.

That'd probably be your cheapest option. You could get the 24 books currently available for purchase (the 21 mainline, 2 fanbooks, and 1 RAS) for $142 rather than $168.

Edit, there's also always the free option of the machine translated web-novel. I've tried reading a chapter to two of it and it was a dreadful experience though.

Bookwalker gives you 50% cash back (store credit) on your first purchase. At 7.40usd per volume, that'd be about 118usd to get 16 books and then use the credit to purchase the rest. Apparently, it also stacks with the 30% credit campaigns they run every few months, so if you're willing to wait for one of those, you can get the series for pretty cheap. I think you miss out on the exclusives from purchase from j novel, but from what I can tell, for Bookworm that's just a couple of high resolution illustrations, which, eh.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Irisize posted:

Bookwalker gives you 50% cash back (store credit) on your first purchase. At 7.40usd per volume, that'd be about 118usd to get 16 books and then use the credit to purchase the rest. Apparently, it also stacks with the 30% credit campaigns they run every few months, so if you're willing to wait for one of those, you can get the series for pretty cheap. I think you miss out on the exclusives from purchase from j novel, but from what I can tell, for Bookworm that's just a couple of high resolution illustrations, which, eh.

Jnovel club ebooks are also drm free while from what I understand basically all other vendors are not if that matters to you

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Thanks a ton everyone, I'll probably start from part 1 and strongly consider that bookwalker thing depending on whenever that rolls around.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

From today's prepub of 5.1.1.

I can just imagine Poor little Hildebrand sitting alone in the library waiting for his friend and crush to show up after hearing about her passing her classes only to have her never appear. Meanwhile Rozemyne spends all her time in Hirschur's lab to dull the pain of Ferdinand's absence.

Also Lestilaut managed to not be an enormous prick and was mildly endearing. He exceeded all my expectations by leaps and bounds

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well Bookworm's part 4 has completed prepub. If you're interested in wrapping up that part grabbing prepub is a good time now.

Also I've taken a look at the name and cover for 5.1 and I am EXTREMELY excited for this next book.

according to the wiki. Part 5 is called: Incarnation of the Goddess
and this is the next cover:
apparently they’re [j-novel] going with the translation Avatar of a Goddess. interesting choices but i think they make sense

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

this allusion meant posted:

apparently they’re [j-novel] going with the translation Avatar of a Goddess. interesting choices but i think they make sense

That is certainly a title suggestive of several possibilities. It leaves me very excited for Part 5.

In other good news, Trollcity Translations has released yet another fan translation of a side story that is unlikely to ever to get an official translation I'm told. This time it's of Benno reminiscing about Liz, his deceased girlfriend and one of the 4 people suffering from the Devouring that we know of aside from Myne, Frieda, and Dirk. The timing of this would put it before the final of the most recent anime season/3.1. It's from the Junior Bunko Side Story collection which is basically just a repackaging of the text from the regular LN's with furigana over the kanji and an extra image or two to make it more approachable for younger readers. This is the only new SS from the Junior Bunko collection so far.

https://trollcitytranslations.wordp...ittle-gremlins/

This is the image that would have accompanied this part as well:

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 16, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I've started reading the LN and with all the stuff that it adds about the weird magic veggies in Part 1, I am surprised that (so far) her just going "Hey, why you throwing away the water the veggies were boiled in" hasn't backfired somehow. Look. I've watched all the anime. But still--it seems like when your radishes bleed and scream and mushrooms dance or whatever that there might be a legitimate reason to prepare veggies like that!

It's just always bothered me and the added details make it even worse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

So I've started reading the LN and with all the stuff that it adds about the weird magic veggies in Part 1, I am surprised that (so far) her just going "Hey, why you throwing away the water the veggies were boiled in" hasn't backfired somehow. Look. I've watched all the anime. But still--it seems like when your radishes bleed and scream and mushrooms dance or whatever that there might be a legitimate reason to prepare veggies like that!

It's just always bothered me and the added details make it even worse.

I don't think this has ever been brought up directly again, at least not so far as I've seen. But if you put together a ton of tidbits throughout the books up to 4.8 so far it's possible, though by no means certain, that boiled water from veggies contains mana from the food which, when consumed by a pregnant woman, could possibly induce a miscarriage due to excessive mana exposure to the fetus or possibly even cause the Devouring. Though we don't know how the devouring occurs it could be pure chance as far as we know. Noble mothers are supposed to keep a constant stream of mana going to their fetus to power it up and a commoner one might not be equipped to handle it.

Of course there's also the possibility its perfectly safe.

Also, on another note, some folks from the Bookworm Discord are working on translating the Drama CD's which are appropriate for the English audience (Drama CD's 1-4). I've got a early version of CD 1 and it's really well done. They did a machine translation of the audio and then manually edited it and it turned out shockingly great. When they're finalized I'll see if I can post links to them.

They will basically be like hour long radio plays with subtitles.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
re: pre-pub 5.1.4

oh yeah and i guess some aristocrat politics happened. whatever, i want industrial espionage

okay maybe this is on hold for a while but i’m now hype for observational study design and survey/interview data collection methodology. let’s see if she can walk this research team through the reasons for double blinding and random sampling, and collecting the same data from people with and without the condition being studied. let’s put scriptural and historical document references in the paper’s background section. let’s include caveats on study reproducibility following the publication of the results. let’s propose future studies based on non-randomized control trials and natural experiments going forward. let’s construct quantitative indices and statistical significance tests to distinguish and reject individual hypotheses (performance of works within subdomains of relevant subordinate gods, prayer of traditional forms of verbal requests, commitment of mana to religious instruments or rituals of state power, enhanced efficacy of ritualized group practices to previous hypotheses, enhanced efficacy of charms or other non-temple totems) within the broader conjecture. or maybe not that last one, might be a pain without better calculation tools

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well the first subbed Drama CD is up on your typical cat themed site. We finally finished doing our editing of the translation and I'm pretty proud of it. That CD covers all of part 3 and is mostly radio play like renditions of scenes that took place in the LN.

We're working on CD's 2 and 3 now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think this has ever been brought up directly again, at least not so far as I've seen. But if you put together a ton of tidbits throughout the books up to 4.8 so far it's possible, though by no means certain, that boiled water from veggies contains mana from the food which, when consumed by a pregnant woman, could possibly induce a miscarriage due to excessive mana exposure to the fetus or possibly even cause the Devouring. Though we don't know how the devouring occurs it could be pure chance as far as we know. Noble mothers are supposed to keep a constant stream of mana going to their fetus to power it up and a commoner one might not be equipped to handle it.

Of course there's also the possibility its perfectly safe.

Also, on another note, some folks from the Bookworm Discord are working on translating the Drama CD's which are appropriate for the English audience (Drama CD's 1-4). I've got a early version of CD 1 and it's really well done. They did a machine translation of the audio and then manually edited it and it turned out shockingly great. When they're finalized I'll see if I can post links to them.

They will basically be like hour long radio plays with subtitles.

Yeah I got a bit further and in Part 2, Volume 3, the apprentice chef Ella notes that the reason nobody in the lower city uses the water they boil veggies with is because it's "unclean" and it's supposed to cause miscarriages and even sterility, so at least there's a cultural explanation--and possibly a practical one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably not the best thing to boil your food in then. How the gently caress do they make soup or stew?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Rereading the section of part 4 volume 7 that describes how to become the Zent makes some of the recent events in the part 5 volume 1 prepub much more intriguing, huh. It looks like Rozemyne is just constantly tripping closer and closer to meeting all of the qualifications.

I'm really interested in seeing where things go from here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Work has been finished on the fansub of the second drama CD and it's available at your usual cat-themed site. This one covers content up to Part 4 Volume 3, so shortly after Rozemyne's return from her first year at the Royal Academy

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Work has been finished on the fansub of the second drama CD and it's available at your usual cat-themed site. This one covers content up to Part 4 Volume 3, so shortly after Rozemyne's return from her first year at the Royal Academy

is there any content that's not covered in the books in these?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

is there any content that's not covered in the books in these?

They are mostly like radio plays of scenes that took place in the book. I do think occassionally there are scenes brought in from the web novel short stories that haven't found their way into any short stories in the LN's, but it's generally LN content that's been tweaked to work as a play.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just finished Volume 4, part 7 and I'm wondering what base is mixing mana? They present it as pretty scandalous in the second bonus story. Above or below feeling a boob under the bra in earth terms, you think?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For those of you interested, the translation of Ascendance of a Bookworm Drama CD 3 is out at your favorite cat themed :filez: location. This one covers Her year 2 at the Royal Academy and time back in Ehrenfest afterwards.

It starts at the events of 4.6

I Am Fowl posted:

I just finished Volume 4, part 7 and I'm wondering what base is mixing mana? They present it as pretty scandalous in the second bonus story. Above or below feeling a boob under the bra in earth terms, you think?

I'm a little late on this, but you're about right.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nitrousoxide posted:

For those of you interested, the translation of Ascendance of a Bookworm Drama CD 3 is out at your favorite cat themed :filez: location. This one covers Her year 2 at the Royal Academy and time back in Ehrenfest afterwards.

It starts at the events of 4.6

I'm a little late on this, but you're about right.

Yeah, I got to where they actually cover what it means and it does seem pretty risque.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

J-novel club has started officially translating part 3 of the manga (which starts right after the anime finishes up).

Since Part 2 is only halfway done in manga form they put a big 'ol notice on their first page for so manga readers don't spoil themselves I guess.

https://j-novel.club/read/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-manga-part-3-volume-1-chapter-1

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh you know, one thing has bothered me, as I've caught up on the light novels: The only people from the Sovereignty we've seen attending the Royal Academy are members of the royal family. Does the Sovereignty not have its own laynobles? Where do they go to school? It's just really been sticking out to me as the books go on. Like, the only people from the Sovereignty we've seen, aside from the royal family, are actually from other places. Are they not allowed to have kids? If they do, do those kids end up going back to their duchies or origin or the temple?

It's a weird gap in the world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Answered in the fanbooks, silly!