Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Argue posted:

Answered in the fanbooks, silly!

Pretty sure it was answered in the books as well since the fan book said "it was said...".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i spent the past couple weeks reading all of the light novels including the one released today, and it's been a fun ride.

from p5v3:very much enjoyed diet linda's dumb mountain hair, and loved "hmm i guess love really can bloom on the battlefield" from hannelore's mom

also i liked realizing that p5v2 was literally royal academy love stories + a ditter story

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 6, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

5.2 and 5.3 are among my favorite books in the series. Part 5 in general is probably the strongest part in the series imho. Splitting Rozemyne and Ferdinand up so she can grow up without his influence is something the series really needed. (Released P5 vols so far)

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
i like that the chaos is much more credible power plays and people getting killed and such in these volumes, rather than the rather contrived "oh no rm is too good at magic school" or "aw drat she is making waves by telling it like it is" stuff that half of the part 4 "chaos" was. back to part 2 energy but with the rules of magic governance finally mostly explained (at least as far as many of the relevant players even know them)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I was amused how in the most recent 5.4 prepub Rozemyne arrives for spring prayer without the large golden chalice divine instrument that the ritual normally requires, much to the confusion of everyone present and then shocks them all by just summoning it from thin air. Completely oblivious that she is just piling more legendary episodes on as the "Saint of Erenfest".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

I was amused how in the most recent 5.4 prepub Rozemyne arrives for spring prayer without the large golden chalice divine instrument that the ritual normally requires, much to the confusion of everyone present and then shocks them all by just summoning it from thin air. Completely oblivious that she is just piling more legendary episodes on as the "Saint of Erenfest".

Ah, but you see, it doesn't weigh anything since it's her schtappe! So it's the only reasonable thing to do!

This prepub was nice too because we get to revisit all the old crew and see how they are doing. Even Gunther, who got 2 showings with Clarissa's rampage and Hasse.

I like Melchior. He's a good, ernest kid. It's a toss up between him and Charlotte as my favorite of the Ehrenfest trio. I think he slightly edges out his sister because he still idolizes Rozemyne despite not having her save his life like she did his sister and is willing and even eager to join the temple.
5.4 Prepub

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
5.5(.6) prepub:

Hello is this the police? Its terrible! I have to report a murder: Rozemyne just slaughtered the crown prince in a negotiation.

That had to be the most savage beatdown the royal family has experienced since the civil war.

I don't know what Sigiswald's plan was but it probably wasn't anything like that. It is like in gaming when you take that innocuous looking optional side quest near the finish only to discover that it is that completely broken super raid boss fight that pushes your poo poo in a million times harder than anything in the main quest. Rozemyne may as well have pulled a "I am not trapped in this room with you, you're trapped in this room with me!".

Can't wait to see how it all goes off the rails anyway.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I believe in you, Hildebrand! We’re like two dozen volumes in, and the position of romantic interest has never been more vacant. Save this series from ending with an unsettlingly large age gap relationship!

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

nrook posted:

I believe in you, Hildebrand! We’re like two dozen volumes in, and the position of romantic interest has never been more vacant. Save this series from ending with an unsettlingly large age gap relationship!

You want to be saved from an age gap romance by an 8 year old who is six years younger than Myne and 14 years younger than Urano was?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The only acceptable romantic paring involving Rozemyne is with Books or Libraries. Urano was a college graduate in her past life, mentally she is probably older than even Ferdinand but physically she is like 13? I honestly kind of hope the series ends without her ever getting married to anyone.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Eh, I'm happy to handwave "mental age" considerations in these sorts of reincarnation stories, and Rosemyne lost two years to the jureve anyway.

I'd be fine with an ending with no future marriage, but I doubt that's where the story will end up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Also, the objectively correct answer is Shuu is her ideal partner

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

The only acceptable romantic paring involving Rozemyne is with Books or Libraries. Urano was a college graduate in her past life, mentally she is probably older than even Ferdinand but physically she is like 13? I honestly kind of hope the series ends without her ever getting married to anyone.

I mean, her marrying is (technically spoilers for prepubs because it's in a recent one but cmon you already know this) merely a means of acquiring a library

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yes, it is well documented at this point that Rozemyne's preferences for partners is entirely based on "How many books will they give me and then leave me alone so I can read?".

If only the royal family had known they could have convinced her to help them so much more easily by saying "if you become shadow zent for us to stabilize the country we will let you read every book in the land". Her main reason against wanting to become Zent is because it would take away from her reading time. "You could be King! You could rule the land! You could say who lives and who dies!" "But I don't want do any of that, I just want to read books (in a peaceful country)."

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

I don't know, part of Rozemyne's character development is learning to not let her love of libraries override her other priorities, like Ehrenfest's prosperity.

As an aside, I really enjoy how nearly every female character in Ascendance is kind of awesome.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Those of you who are interested in the Bookworm LN and its prepub. This is a good week to pick it up! It's a bit of a doozy!

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those of you who are interested in the Bookworm LN and its prepub. This is a good week to pick it up! It's a bit of a doozy!

I can't believe Ferdinand has been such a hypocrite about not causing chaos this entire time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hoo boy was that a part

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This is going to be a very long week to wait for the next part. So much chaos and reaction potential.

Also Big Myne has definitely earned the right to slap Ferdinand over the head with the harisen (big paper fan) at least once over this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

This is going to be a very long week to wait for the next part. So much chaos and reaction potential.

Also Big Myne has definitely earned the right to slap Ferdinand over the head with the harisen (big paper fan) at least once over this.

Interesting to note that when Ferdinand would talk about "looking up things in ancient records" in the parts 2, 3, and 4 he was almost certainly looking things up in his Book of Mestionora!

quote:

Myne was a mysterious girl. She largely behaved as if she had already received some kind of high-quality education, and yet she rarely thought things through or carried herself with proper caution. She spoke of a “Melvil Dewey,” who by all investigation seemed not to exist and knew of a system of classifying documents that did not exist elsewhere. She invented everything she needed, one after another. She restructured the orphanage and gave the children work, the fruits of which were used to pay for their food. She loved books from the bottom of her heart, to such an extent she even created bibles for children.
2.2 Epilogue.

quote:

“I, too, found myself enraptured by that shining blue spear. Did you know that the temple’s divine instrument could withstand being used in battle like that, Lord Ferdinand?”

“The temple of each duchy has a set of magic tools called the divine instruments, and I found ancient records that detailed them being used for practical purposes. Magic tools can be used by anyone who dyes them with their mana, and since Rozemyne cannot use a schtappe, I thought the spear would serve as a perfect weapon for her,” Ferdinand explained.
3.3 Epilogue

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

this allusion meant posted:

There's a particular "what did that end up doing" event in that time frame that really sticks out as a possible trigger, tho with some kind of indirect logic at play. I'm still really torn on whether I think the instructions on becoming zent are a sort of constitutional procedure that simply marks someone as a legitimate king, and maybe enables some functions that are convenient but neither necessary nor sufficient to rule, or whether doing the steps will actually cause state power and/or feudal fealty to miraculously manifest the way the haldenzel prayer ritual manifests the spring
we're starting to get some answers here, exciting times. looking like a little of column a, a little of column b, but in a somewhat interesting way

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It would seem that things are afoot in yogurtland

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Poor Letizia! (Bookworm Prepub 5.7.7)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This volume has been wild, tons of stuff coming in to focus and getting explained, along with the poo poo hitting the fan. And there is no off-ramp in sight, everything is set for the next volume to be even more crazy.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If I've watched the anime what volume should I jump to to pick up the story? Or is it worth reading from the beginning?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'd say read from the beginning; the anime truncates a LOT. Like, there's entire chapters reduced to literally one still frame and a ten second VO, and some of the cuts were poorly chosen, like how half of Lutz's argument with his parents was cut, where both sides brought up a lot of important points, and Myne's time in the dream world was also very truncated. If you'd still prefer to start where the anime left off, you'll want to start with Part 3 Volume 1.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

If I've watched the anime what volume should I jump to to pick up the story? Or is it worth reading from the beginning?

people recommend reading part 2 at least (covers her time in the temple) since the stuff that gets cut is relatively good and important (plus part 2 is just all around great), whereas the stuff that gets cut from part 1 is maybe more for texture, and i recommend it for completionists and detail oriented readers. part 3 picks up where the anime ends but i don't really like it much (relatively large proportions of it only really makes sense significantly later) and going straight in at that point may not cast the light novel experience favorably

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'll start from the beginning then.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also part 1 is just 3 volumes so it isn't that big of an investment to read it, and at that point part 2 is another 4 volumes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Another option for part 1 is the manga. That has been fully translated and the whole part has been rendered. Parts 2, 3, and 4 are still being worked on in the Japanese version. The English version of two is caught up to the Japanese version and part 3 is being translated. No official work on the English version for part 4 has started yet.

There has been no work on part 5 whether Japanese or English yet.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's really the third season of the anime that poo poo gets hyper-compressed and I started feeling rewarded for reading the light novels that cover that stuff. But that's just me.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Latest prepub:
Ferdinand: Lets destroy Ahrensbach, its existence bothers me.
Rozemyne: Ummm, about that, maybe you shouldn't.
Ferdinand: Why not?
Rozemyne: I kinda stole the Ahrensbach foundation, so now I'm Aub Ahrensbach.

<Ferdinand.exe has stopped responding. Please wait while we reboot.>

Ferdinand: What lunatic would dye a foundation just to rescue someone?
Rozemyne: You're looking at her.

:lol:, :lmao:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Latest prepub:
Ferdinand: Lets destroy Ahrensbach, its existence bothers me.
Rozemyne: Ummm, about that, maybe you shouldn't.
Ferdinand: Why not?
Rozemyne: I kinda stole the Ahrensbach foundation, so now I'm Aub Ahrensbach.

<Ferdinand.exe has stopped responding. Please wait while we reboot.>

Ferdinand: What lunatic would dye a foundation just to rescue someone?
Rozemyne: You're looking at her.

:lol:, :lmao:

My favorite comment that I saw:

Ferdinand: Tell me you Geduldh
Myne: I plead the fifth
Ferdinand: I am the fifth

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So many good ones from Myne this book.

Where do you think? :smug:
Please enjoy the show :)

But JANUARY? fffffffffff

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Thanks for recommending I read from the beginning, i've really enjoyed it so far.

I'm up to the start of part 3 now and does sylvester ever stop being a manchild?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yes. Sort of. Poor guy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

Thanks for recommending I read from the beginning, i've really enjoyed it so far.

I'm up to the start of part 3 now and does sylvester ever stop being a manchild?

Sylvester gets serious when the situation demands it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I’m actually shocked but it looks like there will be an anime of part 3.

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1732261518606258267?s=20

I certainly hope they give it the budget it deserves this time unlike the last season. This time the studio will be MUCH more competent with it being Wit.
Guess it’s a good thing people keep using spoilers in here lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Holy poo poo, i was absolutely convinced the anime was done

It's a good thing they got a better studio because all subsequent parts of bookworm are gonna be a lot more dependent on having at least decent animation

i still don't believe we'll ever see part 4 animated, much less 5, that's way too loving much. but this is more than i expected