Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KillHour posted:

I'm not expecting my fantasy anime to be a perfect world. But the author has an editorial voice and it's clearly playing up how great the protagonist is by letting children younger than 7 experience the true joy of working for their own food. It's how it's presented as virtuous and it's gross.

It's also absolutely hilarious that the claim is being made that I'm incapable of enjoying any work of fiction because I have a negative critique of this one.

You said you dropped the series because of that critique. Seems in line with what they said, which was different that what you're saying here.

Argue posted:

Yes, capitalism is bad, and it doesn't help that Myne touts the "if you don't work, you don't eat" philosophy,

Lenin would like a word.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I wonder if the anime will add something to give context to Arno's motivation. As I recall the LN doesn't get into it except as an epilogue side story half a dozen books later.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Having the grey priests get executed instead of exploded in the magic duel changes the context of their deaths a ton and makes it considerably more hosed up.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Gonna throw my vote behind "if you like it at all read the books" as well. The books balance the intrigue, occasional bouts of action and continued slice of life stuff very well. Next book comes out on Wednesday so a decent time to start, though I would also recommend starting from earlier to get some of the stuff the anime missed. The book series as a whole is nearly complete with only something like 3 more books to come out in Japan.

Definitely don't google the series though, even the arc title's contain big spoilers like the third arc name being Adopted Daughter of an Archduke

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I wasn't really enthralled with all the intrigue and bullshit from the Church that started up in season 2 or whatever it was, and this chapter ending really leaves me cold. A very calculated way to trim some characters and go back to Myne Makes Books at the expense of feeling like it came about in a fulfilling way. "Yeah, this weird noble basically wanted to kidnap your daughter and the church was in on it... but you also hurt his feelings and so I guess you all have to die now unless we have your daughter make yet another emotionally and psychologically draining decision about her life because She's Just That Special and there are no grey areas in our laws"

No?

Vague spoilers on later stuff but except for the characters that died none of the characters are cut. They may not be as prominent but they stick around.

The nature of the law not having grey area is something that's been shown repeatedly as part of a rigidly hierarchal society, and even then it's pretty obvious that there's also an element of Ferdinand and Sylvester wanting to maintain control of Myne.

As for Myne being special, at this point it should start to become clear that something more is going on both in terms of how desperate Ferdinand is to keep her around and how things are working out in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mirage posted:

Sounds like most every feudal state in the world before about 1500 AD, honestly, with the extreme societal stratification and innumerable glass ceilings. That was just the status quo. Magic doesn't enter into it.

Magic enters into it a little bit. Losing control of your emotions could end up with someone dead in a very immediate sense, which is a good reason for all the involved ceremony and etiquette. A lot of the world building of the nobility is a ways out yet, but this is very much a world where the French Revolution is impossible and would drive humanity to extinction.