Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I had a talk today with a lead developer about a possible next career step.

Currently I'm a backend software developer at a company that makes B2B software that runs in the cloud. While we do have a frontend, a large chunk of our development time is spent on API and data related stuff: we receive data from several partners or customers, combine that, crunch that with (sometimes performance-intensive) algorithms, and send it back to the same or other parties. We basically support a large amount of collaboration among our partners and customers.

He said the company is looking for someone who can head the design phase for new projects. That actually sounds quite interesting to me - but it's a topic I don't know much about. A quick google search shows that "software design" articles are often focused on frontend UX, which is certainly a part of it, but not the most important. What matters is finding out what makes up an MVP, what data fields are required, and how should they be modeled. What sort of data crunching will be required and is this feasible performance-wise? And perhaps architecture related questions such as which API connects to which, how does the data flow, what data needs to be stored long-term, etc.

Of course I won't need to answer all these questions myself - but I'd be expected to organize meetings with customer-oriented people, product roadmap people, developers and make sure to ask the right questions at the right time.

I'm not sure yet if this is something for me. So first, I would like to know more. But I'm not sure what this field is even called, as I said "software design" and "product design" google searches aren't really getting me anywhere useful.

If anyone has any practical information or could point me to any posts, overviews, books, courses, whatever, I'd be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
At my previous employer, this role was called "Solution Architect". This may help with your searching

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sounds like product management to me

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Combination of both:

A) Product Management - identifying the requirements/needs of the business and translating those into technical requirements. Think of this as being able to answer the "what".
B) Technical Lead - taking the requirements from the above and identifying a technical solution that addresses them all while fitting within the constraints of your systems. Think of this as being able to answer the "how".

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
You might like this book: https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/fundamentals-of-software/9781492043447/

I talked my company in to sending me to training run by this guy and I quite liked it.