Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a cold, grey and quite miserable afternoon in North Chelsea when I sit down at the wrought-iron table outside the Edgar Allen Poe House de Caf und Brot. The waiter brings me cold Turkish coffee in a half-skull.

A long black limousine ponderously settles in across the way, and an Asian chauffeur of indeterminate age and gender hops out, swinging wide the back door, from which he emerges. Late, by half an hour, of course.

It's been said of Peter Murphy many things, but subtle can't be counted among them. He drapes not one, but two black coats across the back of his chair before settling his enormous girth into view. Taking a clove cigarette from an embossed obsidian case, he begins to speak in lush, wine-flavored tones.

"I's about puttin it in 'er bum, innit" he intones gracefully. "If you'd grew up running wif the Chelsea Street Goth Boys, you'd know the sayin'. She's up-arsey, we'd say. Meanin' she favors it up the register, you understand. That's why I sing, "It's in the can". Changed the name, but. Didn't want to be too cheeky, if you get my biscuit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’ve always really like the song “ A Day in the Life” by the Beatles and learning that it’s subject matter basically pulled together from random news articles, while thematic, was disappointing

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I still don't know wtf Eddie Vedder is rambling about but I'm here for it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Treecko posted:

I think he’s hungry

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Treecko posted:

don't call him DOTTIR

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Treecko posted:

Gabbin' fleurbin ho yeaaauuhh
Farts arrive like butterflies

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Pumped up kicks is actually about a school shooting its subtle but its there

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Run run run away.

[Insert YouTube clip here]

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

""Breakfast can wait" is about that basketball game I had with Charlie Murphy and how we prioritized over pancakes even though his chump rear end can't ball. *laughs* Love you Charlie!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Steely Dan is named after a dildo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
More Than A Feeling turned out to be 1.5 Feelings, the cheap fucks.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost
the devil went down to Georgia

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'm from norway and I loving love satan

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm not reading all that op.

Does it explain what, in the song 'Backstreet's Back', the Backstreet Boys were back FROM?

Had they gone missing? Were they on an adventure to fight crime? Where were the Backstreet Boys, that they had to announce coming back?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Cosmik Slop posted:

Gabbin' fleurbin ho yeaaauuhh
Farts arrive like butterflies

See this is funny because I know all the lyrics for this song and a lot of people can't understand this one.

Yellow Ledbetter though? Get off the smack Eddie goddamn.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
JANE SAYS

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kick Out the Jams by MC5 is a diss track about remnants of a Babylonian deity cult

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It was after a gig in Boston in, I think, '91 or '92. I was walking around backstage barefoot, because I'd be on my feet all day, and some careless person had a left a plug out sitting in the middle of the floor. Well of course I trod right on it and then I said to Chris (who was sitting there laughing his rear end off) "Ow that hurt!" Well, sometimes that's all it takes. I wrote the song that night.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

I'm not reading all that op.

Does it explain what, in the song 'Backstreet's Back', the Backstreet Boys were back FROM?

Had they gone missing? Were they on an adventure to fight crime? Where were the Backstreet Boys, that they had to announce coming back?

Backstreet boys are part of the Thin Lizzie extended universe. They are the boys whomst are back in town.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Golden Brown by The Stranglers is famously about Marmite.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost

Revins posted:

JANE SAYS

Jane Says is a pretty sad song.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Jane Says is a pretty sad song.

it is for sure, I really like jane's addiction don't get me wrong. the joke was kind of just the song explains what it is about very clearly, it is not ambiguous in any way, so to explain it the singer just launches into the song

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost

Revins posted:

it is for sure, I really like jane's addiction don't get me wrong. the joke was kind of just the song explains what it is about very clearly, it is not ambiguous in any way, so to explain it the singer just launches into the song

you could have explained that more clearly

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jane can't stop misbehaving, which, presumably, is what her addiction is

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZs_Py-1_0

I have found the key.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Goldfinger's lead singer wants to be a superman, but he's having an existential crisis because he isn't Clark Kent.

Icochet posted:

I'm from norway and I loving love satan

Do you want to tell us about a city known as Satan?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

precision posted:

Peter Murphy

I lol'ed at "in the can"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
We were over at Dave's place one night and he'd just gotten this new strobe light. Well we plugged it and turned it on then 30 seconds later Krist is sprawled out on the floor having some kind of seizure. I was sitting right next to it so I switch the thing off and immediately Krist comes out of it. The first thing out of his mouth is "Wow that light is really dangerous." Sometimes that's all it takes. I wrote the song that night.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Well, I didn't have enough money for a bus ticket, but I had to get to Funkytown. The rest writes itself.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well you see George came in and he had this terrible breath, I was telling him 'get back, get back' and John comes over and strums that old A chord and there we were back on top of the charts.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I get around by the beach boys is about selling weed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was hangin' out with Dave and a few friends back in '91 and we were playing the first Sonic game, it'd just come out (that's how I remember what year it was, I base all my time now on that poo poo it seems like).
Anyway, the phone starts ringing and Dave's house had a phone in the basement and I'm sittin' next to it so I grab it and say "Hello?" And I'm pretty ripped, ok? So I'm sorta half talking into the phone and sprawled on the chair mumblin and laughin. And the guy says 'Yo what up', and I said 'We're playin Sonic at Dave's house you wanna come by bro?" And he says "I dunno man I just got done at work and I'm lovely and Dave's mom get's mad what's he say?"
So I shout over to him to ask him, and then pick the phone back up and say "Yo, Kurt. Dave says, 'Never Mind. Come as you are.'"
And so he did, and I guess that was that, you know?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't know if we're supposed to post true ones but Tutti Fruity by Little Richard was about originally buttfucking. Obviously you couldn't make a song about hot man-on-man action in the 50s. Especially if you were a black guy, so they changed some of the lyrics when it was recorded. This is what he sang when he was performing it in clubs and such:

quote:

Tutti Frutti, good booty
If it don't fit, don't force it
You can grease it, make it easy.

Also the word "goddamn" was in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CPL593H posted:

I don't know if we're supposed to post true ones but Tutti Fruity by Little Richard was about originally buttfucking. Obviously you couldn't make a song about hot man-on-man action in the 50s. Especially if you were a black guy, so they changed some of the lyrics when it was recorded. This is what he sang when he was performing it in clubs and such:

Also the word "goddamn" was in there somewhere.

Hold on a minute there mister, are you saying there's songs that AREN'T about buttfucking?