Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
:monar:

have you considered CBT, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
OP, I have had anxiety problems my whole life but since the isolation of the last two years they've really become much worse so I truly sympathise. I think seeing a GP is 100% the thing you should focus on right now. Book the appointment and make sure you turn up. Don't set any other goals for yourself than that for now, you can take it all one step at a time and this is the first and most important step.

They will help you with some basic medication if need be which will just calm the erratic thoughts a bit so you can focus on other things to improve your mental health over time. There are a lot of services, some free, that hopefully your GP will be able to help you with.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

talk to your GP OP

medication helps sometimes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost
thanks guys.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

do you hate your job?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the only thing i am afraid of is snakes. and I can handle that. It's not really fear. I don't know how to expain it.

I used feel pretty severe anxiety before I had to do a night shift. I couldn't eat, had an elevated heart rate, sweaty palms, trouble sleeping the night before - all those sort of classic symptoms. I would go and I would talk to my therapist about it and I'd say "I feel really anxious when I have to work graveyard" and then we'd unpack it. Once unpacked it'd come out like "I feel anxiety before I work a graveyard shift because the office is completely empty and I feel alone and I'm afraid of being alone because of childhood traumas." This would happen every time I would bring up feeling anxious and one day she pointed out that what I'm saying is "I feel anxious because I feel afraid" and what if we just started with "I feel afraid"? That I (and everyone else she'd ever seen who talked about feeling anxious) was sublimating the feelings of fear I had by putting it behind this other more clinical and detached word.

Anyway I don't know what your experience is. Maybe it's not fear you feel and some other emotion. Whatever it is I hope you can get a handle on it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

ben shapino posted:

do you hate your job?

lastt week i did. now I'm am elctrian again

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lastt week i did. now I'm am elctrian again

so what makes you anxious?

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
if you smoke weed you could have hyperemesis syndrome.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

ben shapino posted:

so what makes you anxious?

death. not even him. Its just me I am amanous

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I wish i had the 'xiety. Its badass cos nobody can say you don't got it and it works against everythin. Don't wanna do something? 'xiety. I can't get no one to believe that i got it yet. It's like fibro miaglia but even faker

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
How do i convince them

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
usually displaying symptoms, like uncontrollable shaking, increased heart rate and breathing, and a severe sense of irrational panic will do it

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Anxiety Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Entirety Of Reality Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Drink gin

Worked for me

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mumpy is your real name greg

you could be gregnant

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

mumpy is your real name greg

you could be gregnant

no. but i kinda hate my uncle named Greg

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

putin is a oval office posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Anxiety Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Entirety Of Reality Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

tried it. just kept walking into walls

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

go sober for like a month. get a good 8 hours a night, get 20k steps a day, eat right. take a walk outside on your lunch. cut your caffeine intake down.

alternatively get on chatroulette and show strangers your dick. dealing with people is super easy after that.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

go sober for like a month. get a good 8 hours a night, get 20k steps a day, eat right. take a walk outside on your lunch. cut your caffeine intake down.

alternatively get on chatroulette and show strangers your dick. dealing with people is super easy after that.

I know you're coming from a good place and trying to help, but depression and anxiety are more complicated than "just do this" solutions. It's genuinely good advice and I think people should take it, but OP (and myself if I'm honest) needs to sort out his brain chemistry before he's even close to being in a place to actually put plans/routines like you've described into action.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

what if I have already done the second step, and the first step doesn't interest me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just get pills from the Dr like everyone else

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

I know you're coming from a good place and trying to help, but depression and anxiety are more complicated than "just do this" solutions. It's genuinely good advice and I think people should take it, but OP (and myself if I'm honest) needs to sort out his brain chemistry before he's even close to being in a place to actually put plans/routines like you've described into action.

yeah, what they said

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Go to therapy it works

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

its really easy though just unzip your loving pants and get a webcam, it doesnt have to be a regular thing

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

go to a doctor and have them give you pills and therapy that will enable you do show your dick to strangers

im joking mumpy i hope things get better for you and dude was right, i am just spitballing things from a place of genuine concern

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 27, 2022

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I've found you can cure this with alcohol but then you get an alcoholism problem just saying not endorsing

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

dudes will literally post on SA instead of getting therapy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

this thread has a lot of good usernames.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

this thread has a lot of good usernames.

Anxiety Bob
Pile Of Doubt
Homicide

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

ben shapino posted:

dudes will literally post on SA instead of getting therapy

Your brain is literally your entire window to the world, so when it's not working correctly it's super loving hard for the person undergoing that to actually seek the right help.

So yeah they will do that and also I'm glad you obviously haven't experienced this kind of problem, and I hope you never do.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When I feel anxiety I prefer to consider the vast, unthinking and unfeeling universe and how much lesser than a speck of dirt the entire human history is in the grand scheme of things, and how my own experience is even proportionally lesser. Let Azathoth worry.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Azathoth is a little bitch and you can take him in a fist fight OP. Start thinking about entrance music. You got this.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Hi OP.

Bloodfart McCoy here.

You mentioned “work” so this implies you have benefits and health insurance. I suggest you use this health insurance to book an appointment with a doctor. They will give you a boatload of Xanax and you will do zonked out of your mind you won’t give a poo poo if you dick was on fire.

Problem solved.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
For the medication part you'd best be cautious of any benzo types. They are horribly addictive.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Try cognitive behavioral therapy/cock-and-ball torture before resorting to benzos. If you try out a therapist and find out they're the wrong one for you then ditch them before you've had a year with zero progress.

Even the lesser benzos make you feel tired, and you need the assistance of an actually good psychiatrist to go off them properly. Don't take Buspirone since it is a trash medication that doesn't do anything.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OP (and myself if I'm honest) needs to sort out his brain chemistry before he's even close to being in a place to actually put plans/routines like you've described into action.

You can attempt lifestyle improvements AND seek professional help, in fact

Postmastergeneral
Jan 11, 2005
Are you divorcing with 3 kids because your wife refuses to work, making you pay all the bills, working two jobs, 7 days a week, then decides to be a whore, cheats on you with a fisherman and one day come home to all your clothes in the driveway? Then have your child support amount set from your income of working 7 days a week with overtime?

That would be pretty tough. Hang in there buddy. Just keep swimming.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

OK this is the best use of that I've ever seen lol

Separately
I got anxiety after menopause [now I KNOW that's not your situation] but because I only had run of the mill depression my whole life I can say that for me at least anxiety is way way loving worse than depression.

It's been a few years now it comes and goes. I found one medication that helped for 6 months and the whole time I'm like oh my God this is what normal people lives are like; it was loving pretty awesome. But then it quit working. I was pretty lucky really the few things I tried that didn't work I didn't really get massive side effects they just didn't work.

If you are fortunate enough to have insurance use i! Use it massively and tell them what's going on.

What helped me probably the most was realizing that's what was wrong and reading about it and reading what cognitive behavioral therapy has to say about it. Get your regular health checked too I had high blood pressure and now that that's under control I feel better. But seriously there's a lot on the internet out there about anxiety get yourself educated.

Last thing I'll say the worst thing you can do for anxiety is avoid things. I'm serious. Procrastination was my lifestyle so maybe it just built up so much that I ended up with anxiety I don't know. You can PM me if you want more information everyone's right to not use benzos I never have. I sure hope you have insurance and I sure hope you use it!

You're obnoxious but I care about you anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mumpy, mindfulness is one of the only things that helped me with chronic anxiety. But I second the see your GP as well