Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
come drink ayahuasca and embark on neurogenesis evangellion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kntfkr posted:

come drink ayahuasca and embark on neurogenesis evangellion

its fun watching capitalism wrangle with weed legalization and how to advertise it, since weed smoking has a totally different vibe and profile to say beer or whatever. when we get around to legalizing psychedelics, it'll be really funny to see how that looks

they're gonna sell like $10 bottles of "special orange juice" with some kind of semi-made-up stuff in it that's supposed to "enhance your trip"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
waiting for legalization of anything is for suckers

that said there's gonna be a lot of money to be made even just investing in psychedelics when the machine gets on board. i know precisely a few people that have made the full blown switch from pills to psychedelics, most often small doses of mushrooms. these folks are all in the city tho, where that kind of thing is available.

i've been playing with the idea of doing some sort of toad drug like bufo or kambo or whatever but i don't know how it'd really benefit me whereas i know aya WILL benefit me.....somehow

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't trust the Dark Internet enough to buy illegal psychedelics right now

i think that, where i'm living now, "meth" qualifies as a "psychedelic"

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
man who the gently caress doesnt have anxiety like for real

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Junk posted:

me

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

lol just kidding i'm a mess

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
"i'm not the slightest bit concerned about anything at all" - a deranged psycho

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Junk posted:

"i'm not the slightest bit concerned about anything at all" - a buddha

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Junk posted:

Me, I have the Lord on my side

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

precision posted:

they're gonna sell like $10 bottles of "special orange juice" with some kind of semi-made-up stuff in it that's supposed to "enhance your trip"

this is already happening with the neurotropic market

also lemontek

it has basis in real research, like eating a ripe mango before smoking weed, or the fabled G R A P E F R U I T interactions. there will always be snake oil

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Do you eat and smoke a lot of weed especially before you fall asleep? like regularly? that can cause it. Get some soothing food in you right away like a yogurt or some juice and toast and a fruit or something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OMFG FURRY posted:

this is already happening with the neurotropic market

also lemontek

it has basis in real research, like eating a ripe mango before smoking weed, or the fabled G R A P E F R U I T interactions. there will always be snake oil

the grapefruit thing is no joke with benzos, it straight up makes them 50-100% more potent, and not really in a good way. in more of a "black out" way

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

serotonin comes mostly from your intestines so eat some healthy poo poo op, more fiber and whatnot to get those good vibes

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

precision posted:

yeah, like, i have a low grade massive amount of depression and fear about the universe, but i no longer have "my brain won't even let me enjoy anything good because it won't stop its entirely vague insistence that i'm about to drop dead at any second"

the former makes me smoke a lot of weed and shitpost more; the latter had made it difficult to even leave the house at times

Hey for real, how'd you get rid of it? I'm 37 and never had anxiety issues until just about two years ago. It's like it kept mounting and I kept feeling worse and weirder until I reached a breaking point last September and my whole body straight up went paralyzed. Like first my arm went numb then my other arm, then I realized I couldn't move my arms/hands no matter how hard I tried, then it spread to my legs and my face. It forced like a stupid half smile on my face, and I thought I was having a stroke. This happened while I was out walking on the sidewalk, just sprawled out on the ground in public, next to a drat Montessori school of all things, probably scaring the kids and making their parents think I was a strung out junkie or something. I was able to call 911 before I lost control of both hands but goddamn I was terrified because at the time I had no idea anxiety could have such an effect so I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack or something.

The EMTs and all medical professionals I've talked to since then seemed convinced it was just anxiety and not an actual physical issue, so to an extent that puts my mind at ease that I'm not unhealthy but at the same time it feels like the same sort of incident could happen again so i get like these "aftershocks" at the grocery store and wherever. Maintaining an alcoholic buzz seems to fix the problem but obviously that isn't a healthy long term solution.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I had an appointment with a therapist a few months ago, and his offer was basically, "you can keep talking about it or I can send you a PDF about breathing exercises".

I canceled the follow up. What is cognitive behavorial therapy? He didn't even mention that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's the catch 22 everytime someone suggests "just get therapy". 80% of therapists loving suck at their jobs and shopping around until you find a good one is ludicrously expensive, time consuming, and demoralizing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Junk posted:

"i'm not the slightest bit concerned about anything at all" - a deranged psycho

Colonel Cancer posted:

both 100% correct

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Seriously though there are some definite concrete things you need to be doing if you are not already doing them. Regardless if you subscribe to the idea that your mind is a completely separate machine from the rest of your body and taking care of your body doesn’t equal taking care of your brain or not, you’ve gotta take care of your body. It will make you feel physically better which will have a net positive impact on your brain.

Practice mindfulness and CBT techniques. Breathing exercises are also good.

Stop doing drugs and alcohol entirely.

Stop using tobacco.

Get more sunshine and fresh air when the weather permits.

Eat better food and get enough fiber. Try to eat fewer items from the microwave and drive thru windows.

Exercise every day in some form. You know your routine and you know where you can fit it in. Motivation won’t always be there but discipline will once it becomes routine.

Have a sleep schedule of some sort. If you have trouble sleeping then you’re not physically tired enough through your actions in the day. A way to help get you on track is to set an alarm and wake up at the same time every day if you aren’t busy enough.

Spend as little time on the internet as possible. Find a new hobby that preoccupies your mind.

I know some of these will make a lot of you feel a certain kind of way but these tips come from experience. I was mentally fine in the military then when I got out into the “real world” I was free to become a total stoner alcoholic that never played outside or worked out again for years and years, only playing video games and going to in-person college and working meaningless low-level jobs after that. Once I realized that all the friends/relationships I’d had were full of other people in the same boat as me for all the same reasons, I found new people to associate with and began working on myself since none of them wanted to change with me. It’s hard to quit tobacco and weed and booze and forge better daily habits when all your friends or whoever you’re dating just wants to be high or drunk and sit around all the time. Years later I’m an entirely new person. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but if I could do it, so can you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This straight edge poo poo rots your brains.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
I forgot to mention that I had years where I’d be too depressed to leave the house for long periods of time and I’d get panic attacks at random. Driving on a busy highway? Hope there’s a shoulder cause I’m having an attack! I was on different anxiety and depression meds for a long time as well, so my advice comes from experience.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you're in philly right?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Irregardless posted:

Practice mindfulness and CBT techniques. Breathing exercises are also good.

It's true, mindfulness and Cock and Ball Torture go hand in hand in lowering anxiety.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this is true. dominatrixes are more helpful and caring than most the rapists

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Devils Affricate posted:

Hey for real, how'd you get rid of it? I'm 37 and never had anxiety issues until just about two years ago. It's like it kept mounting and I kept feeling worse and weirder until I reached a breaking point last September and my whole body straight up went paralyzed. Like first my arm went numb then my other arm, then I realized I couldn't move my arms/hands no matter how hard I tried, then it spread to my legs and my face. It forced like a stupid half smile on my face, and I thought I was having a stroke. This happened while I was out walking on the sidewalk, just sprawled out on the ground in public, next to a drat Montessori school of all things, probably scaring the kids and making their parents think I was a strung out junkie or something. I was able to call 911 before I lost control of both hands but goddamn I was terrified because at the time I had no idea anxiety could have such an effect so I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack or something.

The EMTs and all medical professionals I've talked to since then seemed convinced it was just anxiety and not an actual physical issue, so to an extent that puts my mind at ease that I'm not unhealthy but at the same time it feels like the same sort of incident could happen again so i get like these "aftershocks" at the grocery store and wherever. Maintaining an alcoholic buzz seems to fix the problem but obviously that isn't a healthy long term solution.

I wish I could give you specific instructions... Alcohol used to help me too, when I had a buzz I didn't have anxiety.

Benzos helped me, but then I think they were doing more harm because I was relying on them. One day I moved and it would have been a pain to go back to my doctor. Now, whenever I start getting anxiety, I just think about how it would be fine if I died because then I'd be done with all this stupidity and insecurity and depression and emptyness

It sounds morbid but it helped. Telling myself "Oh word, I'm about to drop dead? Well FINE!" and then just continuing on with my day

I guess that would be my advice. Any time you feel the anxiety coming on, just do something. Literally anything. Jerk off. Eat. Play a video game. Do ANYTHING except sit there and think about it.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mortimer Knag posted:

Do you eat and smoke a lot of weed especially before you fall asleep? like regularly? that can cause it. Get some soothing food in you right away like a yogurt or some juice and toast and a fruit or something

Whoa

You should post more
Your av freaked me out
Cmon make a thread about food

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

More serious advice about anxiety

Get some books about cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety specifically just reading them massively helped me.

Get outside I can't say that enough get out in nature even if it's just trees where there are birds. I walk every day for at least an hour fast up and down hills in a bougie neighborhood and I can't tell you how much it helps besides HUGE. Also it gets easier way fast!

It doesn't matter if you want to do it because you have to.
the reality is we humans evolved to need physical activity outside. Think of it as the result of millions of years of evolution because it helps your brain--- I can feel it. Anxiety is illogical and for me thinking logically helps. If you spend years inside looking at all the hosed up people's writings on the internet eventually it fucks up your brain.

Get outside exercising in the fresh air and it will help your brain. This is logical as poo poo and simple. My only vice was coffee that's all I had left and you know I'm having to loving quit that but it's worth it.

Anyone with anxiety can PM me anytime and I will do my best to give common sense calming advice.

You CAN GET BETTER

You will have to act you will have to make changes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know, for me, going and walking outside was specifically an anxiety trigger. Not because I was outside or in public, I mean the specific act of walking outside made me feel like I was about to pass out and die, and I'd get a bit dizzy.

Now, being out at a mall or something, that did help. But walking outside by myself was a major problem.

Again I'm gonna say the biggest thing you have to do is figure out how to do something else. You have to stop thinking about it, and you can't stop thinking about something by saying "I need to stop thinking about it" because then you're thinking about thinking about it.

You have to just go do something that takes your full attention. Try getting into like, logic puzzles or something maybe. Something that occupies all your Thought Zones so you don't have any sirens going off in your head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spinz posted:

You CAN GET BETTER

You will have to act you will have to make changes

When I had anxiety, hearing this was actually terrible for me. It would feel like the well person was doing this kind of grinning, macabre flaunting of how normal they were.

It never helped me to think "I can get better if I change". What helped me, specifically, was thinking "This is literally an imaginary problem and I do not have to change ANYTHING to beat it. I will beat it because it's literally nothing."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

precision posted:

When I had anxiety, hearing this was actually terrible for me. It would feel like the well person was doing this kind of grinning, macabre flaunting of how normal they were.

It never helped me to think "I can get better if I change". What helped me, specifically, was thinking "This is literally an imaginary problem and I do not have to change ANYTHING to beat it. I will beat it because it's literally nothing."

While I don't know that it's an imaginary problem, or whatever, I think you've got an excellent point on the perspective of a person suffering from it (because I do).
Until you get a handle on it, you don't need to hear "Yo, ya brain broke but don't worry lol".
After you get yourself some perspective on it, and realize you aren't WRONG and people aren't UPSET with you, or that you don't have to be MAD at yourself for this, and that it can feel cool again, and THEN you can tackle the 'well poo poo, what can I do to mop up what's left of the mess and clean this up' part.

At least that's how it's worked for me. It was like once that spell was truly broken I could see it, almost perceptibly, and realize 'ok, I can take care of this now'. Was really confidence boosting and that helped on top of what I was already doing, was like a 1 - 2 punch.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

This straight edge poo poo rots your brains.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Putting my shitposting on a break for a bit.

Something that has worked for me, not sure if it works for anyone else, is to get into a gym on a workout plan and just commit to it 100%. Exercising is always a good way of releasing the happy chemicals in your brain. You don't have start off doing crazy poo poo like Arnie workouts, just start small and work on it. It won't completely fix the anxiety (You need to determine the root cause and tackle that), but it can be a good step towards getting your anxiety under control.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Beef City posted:

At least that's how it's worked for me. It was like once that spell was truly broken I could see it, almost perceptibly, and realize 'ok, I can take care of this now'. Was really confidence boosting and that helped on top of what I was already doing, was like a 1 - 2 punch.

yeah. it's really quite weird. just 6 months ago i had a crippling fear of traveling too far from my doctor, and now even when i get a little anxiety i just think "haha oh word it's this again, remember this is nothing". it's seriously like a switch gets thrown in your brain.

one day the switch gets thrown and you suddenly can't do anything, ever, nomal again

then the switch gets thrown back and you're like "literally how did i let this bother me for 18 years? i'm fine"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Archer666 posted:

Putting my shitposting on a break for a bit.

Something that has worked for me, not sure if it works for anyone else, is to get into a gym on a workout plan and just commit to it 100%. Exercising is always a good way of releasing the happy chemicals in your brain. You don't have start off doing crazy poo poo like Arnie workouts, just start small and work on it. It won't completely fix the anxiety (You need to determine the root cause and tackle that), but it can be a good step towards getting your anxiety under control.

yeah, exercise always worked for me, to take my mind off it. but sometimes the exercise would make me feel good, and i would get MORE anxious because the "good" feeling was a rush of energy and light headed ness and i'd think "oh god i'm about to pass out or die" all over again

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

how do I do mindfulness

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

how do I do mindfulness

smoke a weed

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I guess I'm expressing myself completely wrong since I absolutely work on lessening my anxiety every day. I have to, unfortunately.

I was trying to stress that doing nothing will not make it better, it's not just in your head, it requires ACTION in multiple ways and it's not hopeless!

I in no way meant to minimize anyone's experience

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

everyone has anxiety

everything loving sucks

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Waffle! posted:

everyone has anxiety

everything loving sucks

Its just one of those days
Where you don't want to wake up
Everything is hosed
Everybody sucks
You don't really know why
But you want to justify
Rippin' someone's head off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Spinz posted:

I guess I'm expressing myself completely wrong since I absolutely work on lessening my anxiety every day. I have to, unfortunately.

I was trying to stress that doing nothing will not make it better, it's not just in your head, it requires ACTION in multiple ways and it's not hopeless!

I in no way meant to minimize anyone's experience

don't worry we all expressed ourselves with what worked with us for anxiety and we were slapped down. it's ok spinster