Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

how do I do mindfulness

realize that thoughts are just thoughts and focus on breathing
'act as if the teapot is already broken' and other zen phrases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fixating generalized anxiety on something is the fatal mistake. Realizing that the anxiety has no real source beyond arbitrary brain juice and thus has no real target is important. A lot of people feel their generalized anxiety flare-up and then attempt to rationalize it which is an enormous mistake. They'll begin to believe the anxiety exists because of work, because of what's happening in the world, because of relationships, whatever, because when you feel something your first instinct is to apply conscious thought in order to contextualize it to remove the uncertainty factor, but when you give this vague, nebulous anxiety a target, it gives you something to fixate, obsess over, and as a result, you can continously overthink about that thing and exacerbate the anxiety.

Repeating to yourself that your GAD is an illusion, that it's not because of anything particular, and denying it that conscious manifestation won't cure your anxiety, but it will sure as hell prevent it from spiraling and turning into a full blown panic attack. If you have GAD, you have to fully comprehend that diagnosis, which is that it is generalized, it is pointless anxiety, if you give it a point, you give it a weapon, and then you condition yourself to become anxious of things you weren't anxious of before because you convinced yourself that they were the reason you were anxious in the first place.

Deny it that contradiction and you've made your first bit of substantial progress to the mindfulness necessary to combat it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i bit a stray cat yesterday

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i bit a stray cat yesterday

The cat killed a child

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ah yes I will logic myself out of a crippling mental illness!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what do you suggest

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

During my teens and early 20s I used to self medicate my anxiety with weed. I could just get high and just focus on something like a movie.
Now I'm older and while I have my anxiety mostly under control something has switched in my brain and smoking weed causes me to get anxious as hell.

sucks I really enjoy watching movies and playing games high

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Mental health is just a number

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

precision posted:

its fun watching capitalism wrangle with weed legalization and how to advertise it, since weed smoking has a totally different vibe and profile to say beer or whatever. when we get around to legalizing psychedelics, it'll be really funny to see how that looks

they're gonna sell like $10 bottles of "special orange juice" with some kind of semi-made-up stuff in it that's supposed to "enhance your trip"

There is a huge billboard on my commute that advertises a specific brand of pre-roll you can buy at local dispensaries. Kinda weird, considering you can't advertise tobacco.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Fixating generalized anxiety on something is the fatal mistake. Realizing that the anxiety has no real source beyond arbitrary brain juice and thus has no real target is important. A lot of people feel their generalized anxiety flare-up and then attempt to rationalize it which is an enormous mistake.

this. one million per cent this. yas queen. etc.

for 18 years i told myself "this is an imaginary thing that you can just stop any time, in the same way that it started out of nowhere"

i finally started listening

that's the main thing. you gotta listen to your self. and your body. the anxiety i had manifested in some light physical symptoms (dizzyness/a sense of "disconnectedness" that is hard to explain) and most anxiety does. it's important to realize that these physical things are not gonna like, literally kill you. LITERALLY NOBODY has died from anxiety. even having a heart attack from anxiety is quite rare and would be based on having a bad heart already.

so that helped me a lot. to be like "yeah yeah, i feel weird. i feel weird when i do drugs too. it's fine. i'm fine"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there's a reason that the caricature of a buddhist or buddha like person is, you know, an oblivious dumbass who just kinda does whatever. it's because that is objectively the most sane way to live. just stop taking everything so seriously. and start taking everything way more seriously.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ah yes I will logic myself out of a crippling mental illness!

Literally the opposite of what I'm saying, you accept that the anxiety isn't logical and that you can't think your way out of it or ascribe a real world cause to it that's proportionate and then you deal with the emotion from there. It's just developing awareness of the feelings the mental illness creates and accepting them, and thereby minimizing their severity instead of attempting to utterly dispell them. It's corny, but the idea is to let it flow through you rather than you trying to fight it head on.

This isn't a controversial theory, all the people saying to practice mindfulness and CBT are basically telling you the same thing, I'm just trying to demonstrate how you consciously do those things in less vague terms.

One of your biggest enemies in anxiety is the overthinking that results and causes it to spiral, many people may wake up with light anxiety and end up in full blown panic mode by the end of the day because they've been bouncing anxious, negative and paranoid thoughts around in their skull for the entirety of the day.
CBT is partly learning to tell yourself that those thoughts don't reflect anything real, the only thing real is the anxiety itself - and you can learn to deal with that.

It's not an overnight thing, rejecting invasive thoughts takes active effort and it may take awhile for you to truly believe yourself when you say that it's only the anxiety and not the million things you've begun to think it is, but that and/or an effective regimen of medication that suits you is how a lot of people have managed to control something that otherwise used to run their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I got put on probation after making this thread for a day. I would like to thank everyone who made a joke and took it seriously. That's why I love this place!
It was serous, by the way