Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Let's be fair, he was also a prominent character in Oz. So ultimately this will all end up being a cross-over with SVU and OC, with Chris Meloni taking down the demons by punching them real hard and Olivia interrogating whatever wizard that is in charge :hmmyes:

Won't be complete without Detective Munch looking at a monster autopsy and saying, "Oof, dryer than my ex-wife."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ice-T immediately going "which one?"

The monsters just leave at this point

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
“Kids are smoking this goo they got from monster corpses, makes em trip and see bugs and Halloween props. They’re calling it Smile Bile.”

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol, just started watching Child's Play 3, (the worst one according to lots of Chucky fans) and realized it's directed by Jack Bender who has directed 10 episodes of From. Not trying to make any actual meaningful connections there, I just was not expecting that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Martman posted:

Lol, just started watching Child's Play 3, (the worst one according to lots of Chucky fans) and realized it's directed by Jack Bender who has directed 10 episodes of From. Not trying to make any actual meaningful connections there, I just was not expecting that

And like a billion episodes of Lost.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think he was just a producer on Lost? I had never even heard of Lost: Missing Pieces but apparently he directed those.

papervest
Mar 24, 2013
Funny meta stuff for the crossover and fairy tale angles. Eion Bailey (Jim) was in a show called Once Upon a Time, which was about fairy tale characters being trapped in a small town in Maine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I like how his character is "Was sent to protect a small child, immediately walked off to do drugs and gently caress". Ah Pinocchio, such a moron.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

papervest posted:

Funny meta stuff for the crossover and fairy tale angles. Eion Bailey (Jim) was in a show called Once Upon a Time, which was about fairy tale characters being trapped in a small town in Maine.

I caught that show a couple of times. It might have been the cheapest looking show I've ever seen on broadcast tv. Made some of Heroes cheap-o effects look like Avengers: Endgame.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

President Ark posted:

also it's interesting that y'all settled on thinking of the monsters as vampires when my mind immediately jumped to them being the Fae - like, the old kind that steals babies and runs down travellers in the wilderness and poo poo. needing to have something to ward them off at your door, the way they speak in lies, association with deep woodland, etc. that and the constant references to stories and mythic arcs (and for god's sake the last episode of S2 is called Once Upon A Time!) tells me this show is going to be heavy on references to old world folklore.

and I'm not the only one, because some googling turned up people with similar speculation to this, specifically referring to this thing: http://gotireland.com/2012/10/24/irish-faerie-folk-of-yore-and-yesterday-the-sluagh/
bloodworms and how apparently they only infect one person at a time. still, lotta parallels

I definitely had similar thoughts, not exactly Fae but that makes a lot of sense. I didn't think vampire because they just do monstrous evisceration, not just exsanguination

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like kind of poor taste to have ancient folklore things in north america and have them be from the folklore of the invaders who genocided the people there 300 years earlier rather than to represent the folklore of the continent where the show takes place, but I am not the creators of Lost.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hmm.... nah

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I binged the rest of the series (4? episodes) and it was honestly a decent watch by binging. Maybe my brain is rotten somehow by having watched bits and pieces of it when it came on TV but Lost doesn't grip me quite the way this series does by episode 4. Something about modern direction and what-not? I'm actually quite shocked that Lost feels a little dated "already".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I think this show is better binged cause I feel like it’s a long rear end movie arbitrarily cut into episodes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I love to check this thread after every episode, but that’s the only reason why I don’t binge it. I think it’s the same with Silo, which I’d enjoy binging more. On the other hand, slower and more focused shows like Severance do well with some breathing time in between episodes.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I just binged the show too and there's still a noticeable slump in early/mid S2. Extremely "get the gently caress on with it" vibes from between I guess 3 to 6?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
it was pretty rough yeah. recovered by the end tho

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I kinda drifted away from the show after the first four or so episodes of the season, but I went back to it now that it's all bingeable. Just finished episode 8, and here are some thoughts before I go to the last couple of episodes.

There's a lot of really cool and really spooky imagery. Like that weird desiccated woman with the weird moaning/giggling who tried to drown Elgin in the tub? Jesus loving Christ that was creepy as poo poo! Overall I'm not as down on the season anymore as I was at the start, but a couple of things bug me.

People don't remember they're in a supernatural horror nightmare spook village where hosed up and impossible things happen.

Something hosed up happens to someone. "Oh, it was just a dream", they say, and ignore it. The sheriff wanders into the woods and comes back talking about poo poo that yes would be impossible in real world, but seems extremely on par for the course for a place that teleports you around, exists outside time and space, and features supernatural mutant killers. Everyone assumes he's just going crazy. A guy hears a creepy voice on the radio taunting them about poo poo they somehow mystically know. Oh, it must be some person who is observing us, maintains our main character. Can't be anything supernatural or weird! Hell, maybe it's a CONSPIRACY! I could go on and on, but it also leads me to the second thing.

Nobody loving talks to anybody about anything!

On the one hand we have a group of people who insist that they're desperately looking for a way home. Anything could be important! Everything could be important! A guy nearly gets drowned in his sleep and wakes up coughing up water. Nah, that's just crazy, must've had a nightmare. Immediately afterwards another guy has a nightmare where he burns himself, wakes up with a burn mark on his arm. Hmm could those two things be connected? Should our sheriff, who knows about both these things, try to ask for more information? Nope, "it's nothing", he says and dismisses to the whole thing.

A bunch of people are having hosed up weird nightmares and visions. Should we talk about them? Compare them? Take notes? Try to see if there's some shared features in them? Nah, they're just dreams, who cares!

It's just such a cheap way of trying to build tension and drag things out, and I hate it. If your mystery plot depends on people acting like complete loving idiots then your writing needs work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There's a lot of really cool and really spooky imagery. Like that weird desiccated woman with the weird moaning/giggling who tried to drown Elgin in the tub? Jesus loving Christ that was creepy as poo poo! Overall I'm not as down on the season anymore as I was at the start, but a couple of things bug me.

People don't remember they're in a supernatural horror nightmare spook village where hosed up and impossible things happen.

Nobody loving talks to anybody about anything!
I think both issues can be explained as them not wanting to admit or deal with those things. If you don't acknowledge it or tell anyone about it then you can pretend that maybe it didn't happen and isn't yet another terrifying problem you have to deal with.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well at least they do come clean by the end of the season. They could have just drug it out for who knows how long.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tabitha will post on a message board for people who woke up from that crazy town in S3 and meet up with people into Missing 411

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GABA ghoul posted:

Someone floated "oncology" itt and I'm gonna laugh so hard if it's gonna be that.

Yeah I saw that post back when I was watching episode 7 or something, and when the ending of E10 hit, I initially rolled my eyes extremely hard, but then they luckily revealed that she hadn't been in the hospital for weeks in a coma with her family, and instead had just mysteriously appeared in a forest after getting pushed out of the window.

I'm also staring to really warm up to Jade. That scene with him talking with the bar keeper's ghost, or his subconscious manifesting him as a sounding board, was really good, and I also enjoyed his shriek when he was that loving ventriloquism puppet in the tunnels. Also enjoyed the Ringu-style reveal that the weird symbol was the root pattern visible from where ever the tormented kids were being held. I kinda hope they don't feel like they have to explain EVERYTHING, because it's good for some things to remain mysteries.

The last few episodes in the season really pushed things along, and if the whole season had been moving with that kind of purpose, it would've been extremely good. I'm glad they finally started talking to each other though, long may it continue. Overall a bit of an uneven season, but ended strong and still comfortably on the positive side overall. Looking forward to season 3.

BeefCrisps
Jan 24, 2011
Anyone got any suggestions for shows/novels/movies/comics that scratch the same itch this show does? Ideally more consistently written? There’s a few obvious ones of course (Lost; all Stephen King)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Your second question really shrinks the available answers. I think "inconsistently written" is on some level part of "shows like this."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BeefCrisps posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for shows/novels/movies/comics that scratch the same itch this show does? Ideally more consistently written? There’s a few obvious ones of course (Lost; all Stephen King)

I'd say the first season of Yellowjackets. I checked out midway of season 2, no clue if it finishes strong or not.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I heard about this show in the Yellowjackets thread but also ditto consistency being an impossible watermark

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Beaten on Yellowjackets... so, technically Once Upon a Time starts with a mystery lock-in but the vibe is verrrry different, no horror at all. Locke and Key similar not very scary light kids entertainment with worldbuilding mystery

For horror there is stuff like The Exorcist or Haunting of Hill House but the mystery is second fiddle to horror

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have you seen Severance? It's a more consistent show, and although it feels like a stretch to bring it up here, there are similar elements of mystery and speculation leading to a greater mythos of sorts. Just like, no little green ghouls or nothin', sorry.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Raised by Wolves is a sci-fi mystery show, but it was cancelled after the second season so there won't ever be any answers to the threads left hanging.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who cancelled that, if I ever meet them I'm going to whine right in their face about it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

BeefCrisps posted:

That's a pretty vague ask. Off the top of my head there's;

The first season of Wayward Pines. It's pretty self contained and complete. It's also based on books. Cancelled after the second season.
Something more out there may be Tad Williams' Otherland book quartet. It has more of a horror/mystery vibe. It starts strong (first book, maybe most of the second book), but imo devolves into (very general spoilers/opinions) anime nonsense, and random stuff happening for the sake of having random stuff happen. Funnily enough, that series along with some other books is in a bundle right now on Humble Bundle. You can get the first book for $1.
In straight up gore-horror-with-a-veneer-of-syfy territory, there's the movie Cube (1997), I guess.

Edit: Do TV shows like Awake, Life on Mars, or Intruders count? They have the "what's happening"/"tell me more" aspects.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 31, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

That's a pretty vague ask. Off the top of my head there's;

The first season of Wayward Pines. It's pretty self contained and complete. It's also based on books. Cancelled after the second season.
Something more out there may be Tad Williams' Otherland book quartet. It has more of a horror/mystery vibe. It starts strong (first book, maybe most of the second book), but imo devolves into (very general spoilers/opinions) anime nonsense, and random stuff happening for the sake of having random stuff happen. Funnily enough, that series along with some other books is in a bundle right now on Humble Bundle. You can get the first book for $1.
In straight up gore-horror-with-a-veneer-of-syfy territory, there's the movie Cube (1997), I guess.

Edit: Do TV shows like Awake, Life on Mars, or Intruders count? They have the "what's happening"/"tell me more" aspects.

Despite this being an anti reccomwndation in some sense, makes me want to finish the Other land series. Only read the first and part of the second as a kid before realizing nobody was impressed with how thick the books I checked out from the library were.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Should've checked out all 4 bound together with a couple of big rubber bands. That would've impressed them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BeefCrisps posted:

I dunno if it’s the same but have you seen Leftovers? It’s an older series but it’s finished and has an ending. Stars Justin Theroux alongside Carrie Coon and the premise is basically “what if the MCU snap happened but irl and also it was like 5%2% instead of 50%.” It was also co created by one of the Lost guys. Personally I really enjoyed Leftovers. It was such a beautiful story.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 1, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Have you seen Severance? It's a more consistent show, and although it feels like a stretch to bring it up here, there are similar elements of mystery and speculation leading to a greater mythos of sorts. Just like, no little green ghouls or nothin', sorry.

I just recently watched Severance and wow it was fantastic. I think it's in the same ballpark as From.

The Rig is also pretty good, although it's a little bit more The Mist than From, but still has some of the same ingredients.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BeefCrisps posted:

In addition to what everyone else said:

Your itch might be a bit different than mine, but Stranger Things kinda worked for me.

Also, some shows that have a vaguely similar vibe:

The Village by M. Night Shyamalan. Strange isolated village, woods around it are full of monster that come out at night. Okayish mystery box movie with twist ending.

The OA is a fantastic and absolutely bonkers show about NDEs, cosmic beings, travel to parallel realities and expressive dance. Very surreal feeling. The mythology/mystery is complex but also very bizarre and unpredictable, so you are never really in a position to theorize in any meaningful sense. Cancelled after two seasons.

The Leftovers is an amazing surreal show about 2% of the earth's population suddenly vanishing one day. Cool mythology, but the mysteries act only as a setting and are never truly revealed. You don't get a payoff for all the theorizing and speculation you do. But you also don't feel like you should when you are done with it. It has a perfect ending. Best show of the decade for me.

Dark is a very good but extremely complex mystery box show about time travel, causal loops, secret societies and incest. Great payoff. The mythology bible of the show is probably some 1000 page monstrosity with diagrams and hundreds of footnotes per page. Kinda miraculous that the show is completely consistent with no retcons or plot holes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hell yeah Leftovers crew. Doing a rewatch with some friends of mine now and its glorious.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The shows I’ve watched to try and cure my From hangover:

Wayward Pines is pretty decent. Dear god do NOT watch the second season though.

Silo was interesting and well made and hooked me well enough. I honestly truly do not want a second season.

Yellowjackets is awesome, I love it. Second season had some rough patches but overall I’m still in even if I’m not entirely sure why the show runners claim it will be five seasons.

Leftovers I got about three episodes in. It just didn’t hook me at all. I’ll loop back around and give it another shot considering how high the praise is here.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The shows I’ve watched to try and cure my From hangover:

Wayward Pines is pretty decent. Dear god do NOT watch the second season though.

Silo was interesting and well made and hooked me well enough. I honestly truly do not want a second season.

Yellowjackets is awesome, I love it. Second season had some rough patches but overall I’m still in even if I’m not entirely sure why the show runners claim it will be five seasons.

Leftovers I got about three episodes in. It just didn’t hook me at all. I’ll loop back around and give it another shot considering how high the praise is here.

If you only watch the first season of Wayward Pines does it feel like a conclusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

If you only watch the first season of Wayward Pines does it feel like a conclusion?

Mostly yes. The second season shifts to a different structure and conflict, but in the same setting with a lot of the same backstory. I don't mind it though, it's a perfectly fine season of television.