Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

Or Miranda's

Miranda's story is now to cure the Flood so she can save her mommy while Ackerson impersonates her daddy by becoming a proto-gravemind. She will spend the next season locked in one room in the Onyx lab while zombies poke at the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really liked this episode and their introduction of The Flood. The games leave a huge grey area of what an initial Flood outbreak would look like in the beginning stages and I think they really nailed the creepiness and horror of it in the show. I hope there is a Season 3 and that we see combat forms and other variants as the outbreak gets worse.

It also seems to me like maybe someone writing for the show is a Dead Space fan because the interaction of Kwan with the "spirit of the planet" is very similar to how the Markers in Dead Space interact with certain people.

I was kind of hoping that when Chief punched the panel on the Covenant ship that it would give his armor a shield and that's how he would survive the crash. Missed opportunity imo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's so bittersweet to see Chief on the surface of Halo finally and the Flood and a proper space battle because if they'd just started the drat show here...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I really want to see the reaction of someone who’s never played the games to the first 10 minutes lol

Like what the gently caress man. Idk it was fun seeing that but also…zero set up for it. Unless it was in the kwan scnees which I definitely skipped

I also skipped every scene with Soren and his kid. I don’t care. I’ll never care. You’ll never make me care
I’ve only played multiplayer in CE and I thought I had missed an episode.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Good episode, shame it's probably the one the series ends on but it'd be cool if we got a season 3 now that things are properly where they should be. Wall of text spoiler stuff to follow:

What is the point of the Flood slugs? If it's an airborne contagion via spores why do they need to vomit slugs onto people or whatever other vague "we put a red mark on you" biting they are doing. The airborne spores seem to take over the entire lower level but only some of the CIC crew and then they have to slug the rest? Is there a natural immunity some people have? Are the Flood spores stupid? The answer is "so the people we need to not get infected so plot can happen don't get infected" but I don't see any explanation that would satisfy me why the guard in the brig got fully infected to the point of swelling up but Kessler and Laera and Ackerson didn't. I know zombies have been the hot thing for a while now but Flood infection forms are super iconic and would have stood WAY out in the crowd of zombie infestation sources if they had just done them and would have led to some cool body horror. Having a Flood outbreak start before any character has stepped foot on the titular Halo is so mind boggling it feels like they were under direct orders from Paramount to 'show the loving zombies ASAP' or something. I 100% agree with the posts up thread about how someone that isn't familiar with Halo would just see this development come out of left field and go "there's zombies now?" and at the same time not realize how loving bad it is for anyone and everyone nearby that the Flood are here.

Echoing the "why is John suddenly outside the ship in the grass mostly okay" gripe. Then they just do it again with Kai and have her presumably alive out in space after kamikazeing a Corvette, I guess Spartan-IIs are just ship-blow-up-proof.

Arby and Chief fight was good, sucks he's dead now. When he was laying on the ground with his helmet off I went "oh they are going to make him Half-Jaw and- oh nevermind he's dead." So the Arbiter who splits off from the Covenant plotline is just done here unless they do it again with the next Arbiter who fulfills the role of game Arbiter, but with how the show is going I just don't think that's even going to happen.

343's voice is so radically different it felt intentional but whatever I'll rock with it if he acts the same but so far he's being way more cryptic instead of enthusiastic to help the Chief. The last shot with the cracked open visor was cool, it made me want a season 3 even more if we are just going to get dropped straight into The Library tier Chief overwhelmed by Flood.

Halsey being put in cryo is loving lol but whatever do what you want at this point I'll watch it. I was really hoping when Kwan had her last little vision of the elder it was going to bait and switch and have her be talking to the Gravemind instead but now we just get force ghosts that are maybe still part of the Gravemind but just used the last of their power so are gone? Just kinda glad that subplot is probably done. Don't really know why the only time we see UNSC guns in the entire episode are Kai's AR and Chief's magnum but sure just keep showing Spartan-IIIs with Not Commandos and Soren with just a regular SCAR. They have the props for them, the fall of Reach episode was full of ARs and BRs.

I don't know what possessed them to do everything in their power to not just adapt the games linearly because it would have made for a much smoother and better story but we've gotten to the point it's just it's Own Thing in a way that I can't help but root for because it's so insane and also I get some schade out of people with custom Spartan avatars on twitter melting down so hard about the show. The games and books are already here if we wanted Good Halo, now we have Dumb Halo and I hope we get Dumb Halo Season 3.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 22, 2024

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Also did I miss something, but why does Master Chief feel like he has such a connection to cortana?

All I really remember about the last episode of t first season is her being used to turn him into a mindless AI driven robot.

The first episode of season 2 shows her being ripped back out of him.

Now it's all buddy buddy gotta go get her and must copy the tone of their relationships in halo 3.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If I remember right, all Miranda needs to do is get a few stacks of plasma grenades and store them next to Dr War Crimes and herself for a couple of days, job done.

Which is a roundabout way of saying where's my main man Johnson dammit?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kin posted:

Also did I miss something, but why does Master Chief feel like he has such a connection to cortana?

There are apps today that are ai girlfriend chatbots and you better believe people fall in love with them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kin posted:

All I really remember about the last episode of t first season is her being used to turn him into a mindless AI driven robot.

Yeah, I thought he pretty much hated her because she was basically a shackle used to keep him a slave.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Nazzadan posted:

What is the point of the Flood slugs? If it's an airborne contagion via spores why do they need to vomit slugs onto people or whatever other vague "we put a red mark on you" biting they are doing. The airborne spores seem to take over the entire lower level but only some of the CIC crew and then they have to slug the rest? Is there a natural immunity some people have? Are the Flood spores stupid? The answer is "so the people we need to not get infected so plot can happen don't get infected" but I don't see any explanation that would satisfy me why the guard in the brig got fully infected to the point of swelling up but Kessler and Laera and Ackerson didn't.

(last ep spoilers) I thought it was pretty clear they were spreading by touch?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

General Battuta posted:

I think the slugs are analogous to the poppers in the games, the little things that pop when you shoot them and the initial flood you see. They also infected via oral insertion.

also I'm pretty sure Parangosky is going to take the place of Jacob Keyes and be made into that weird thing that the Master Chief punches to grab his chip and save earth in the first game. You never see her die like the others

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, I thought he pretty much hated her because she was basically a shackle used to keep him a slave.

Most of this season was about hoping you forgot how the last one ended.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

General Battuta posted:

I guess so, that wasn't my impression of it.

Kwan does say "don't touch them" but it's after we see Soren full on completely rub up against a stationary infected to get past him and then she pushes her way through all the ones that have her cornered before her vision with the elder lady. So if it's touch it's still "touch unless we need this person to not be infected because Plot"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just upgrade to a Class 12 Combat Skin. Mjolnir only rates at Class 2 but at least it's environmentally sealed.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

You know what, I recognize that this show is straining at the edge of a bunch of limitations and it's a bit mid but I'll be damned if I didn't have a kind of week where I needed to see Master Chief do some Master Chief-rear end poo poo and they gave it to me so gently caress it, reup this show for season 3, I'm on board.

edit: My only complaint is that we didn't get that sweet DUH DAH DAH, DUH DAH DAH but I'm guessing there are licensing issues with the music.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 22, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cortana came to help John at his lowest when everyone else turned on him and he had nobody. Not hard to see why he's ride or die with her now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I wish they hadn’t killed the Arbiter but I guess he was probably expensive to render???? Maybe they can get Keith David…

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With things going as they were perhaps Kai will pull a Halo Infinite intro and find her way down to the Ring along with a bunch of marines who crash land after the space battle. No pillar of autumn though since that one Halcyon light cruiser took a glassing beam to the face.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

General Battuta posted:

I wish they hadn’t killed the Arbiter but I guess he was probably expensive to render???? Maybe they can get Keith David…

I consoled myself with the fact that it's a title, not a name, and that we can get the real deal later, ideally with Keith David. ya know, if the show isn't cancelled.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Definitely an uneven season but that last ep was pretty satisfying.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This sounds dumb, but if season 3 was a Halo video game reboot with the same cast as the voice and motion capture actors, I'd be thrilled. This episode was good because it felt like a compelling extended intro cut scene. I was ready to press 'start' as soon the credits rolled.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bring in Keith David as the Arbiter 2 next season except he's actually just Keith David.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Still baffled they changed Chief's armour colour, easiest gimme on the show. Also, the wrong minor character died.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chief's armour is a decent shade of green, it's just that the lighting in the show tends to be rear end.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I have to give them credit as this season is better. There are still too many characters that I don’t care about but I still enjoy watching chief kill covenant and talk to Cortana.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arc Hammer posted:

No pillar of autumn

There was a Pillar of Autumn!

I was so excited when the fleet finally warped in and Kai is calling for help because the lead ship that turns and starts flying towards them looked very much like the Pillar of Autumn. Briefly. Then it looked like burning scrap in space and I was much less excited.

Edit:
At 15:27

RIP

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Autumn, she's been hit! :supaburn:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is a Halcyon cruiser and I think I heard them give the ship's name as UNSC Himalayan.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arc Hammer posted:

It is a Halcyon cruiser and I think I heard them give the ship's name as UNSC Himalayan.

No. :colbert:

Every Halcyon cruiser is a Pillar of Autumn, just like every Wookie is a Chewbacca and every vampire is a Dracula. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont mind Spark's voice but the whole attempt to hide his identity sorta backfires for me. The voice is a whatever change but the dialogue doesn't sound like Spark, a character known for being pedantic about using accurate language and being entirely literal with every statement (when he's not going crazy talking to himself). The only terminology that sounds like Spark is him referring to Cortana as a Construct rather than an A.I., but if he actually spoke like Spark does in the games then it wouldn't be a twist reveal that the person debriefing Chief is a floating light bulb. So to make the reveal work, he needs to act out of character because otherwise it would be too obvious to people who do know and too suspicious for people who don't know who Spark is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Were it so easy.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I was a bit underwhelmed by this episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Caros posted:

Were it so easy.

Season 3 starts like this with zero explanation:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont mind Spark's voice but the whole attempt to hide his identity sorta backfires for me. The voice is a whatever change but the dialogue doesn't sound like Spark, a character known for being pedantic about using accurate language and being entirely literal with every statement (when he's not going crazy talking to himself). The only terminology that sounds like Spark is him referring to Cortana as a Construct rather than an A.I., but if he actually spoke like Spark does in the games then it wouldn't be a twist reveal that the person debriefing Chief is a floating light bulb. So to make the reveal work, he needs to act out of character because otherwise it would be too obvious to people who do know and too suspicious for people who don't know who Spark is.

I mean, I didn't even think it was supposed to be a twist.

Every human in this show talks like an arsehole, so the moment a voice came on with a calm demeanor I figured, yeah it's this shows version of spark.

Plus Chief's still in his armour, etc

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

huh posted:

I was a bit underwhelmed by this episode.

But it's called Halo Halo.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I liked this season a lot more than the first, but I still have the feeling every time I watch that I wish I was watching a Mass Effect series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh, the ring world is like a halo. I thought they were eventually going to meet a German guy.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how far into the future the conversation with spark is. Chief's helmet has a big whole hole in it that surely won't be able to be fixed.

huh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 24, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
He cracked his helmet last season and you could see early this season like the one time he wore it, it had just been super-glued over.

They'll probably just cover the hole with duct tape and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It wasn't supposed to be like that, they just broke the helmet prop and couldn't afford to fix it.