Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
UNSC guns are up-calibered a bit in cannon but not to the point that standard 5.56 and 7.62x39 wouldn't work after a few more shots. Iirc the MA5B fires modern 308 ~somehow~. I think it's just sloppy writing/directing on the shows part. They should have shown the Innies doing some damage to the Elites. Spartans strength isn't in their firepower, it's in their training, armor, and well... strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm having a surprising amount of fun watching it. I really liked the scene where Halsey dragged Parangosky into the Cortana project at the meeting. That was a pretty brilliantly written scene I thought.

I see lots of people complaining online that they already let the cat out of the bag by having Wren tell Chief that Halo is a weapon whereas in the game that's the big reveal towards the end, but like.... Everyone watching the show knows that already so I think it's pointless to try and make that a reveal in the show too.

I really don't understand why so many people want a copy/paste of the game story. We've played the games hundreds of times, I'm good on that story. I like the new directions the show is going in.

My biggest complaints are really nitpicks from budgetary constraints. I would like less modern guns and Chevy Tahoes and more/better CGI aliens but I don't think those issues detract from the story much. This show is already 5x better than what the Halo franchise deserves.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

Chief knows that Halo is a weapon by the end of the 3rd level of Combat Evolved.

I'm guessing that the season will end with a dual finale of the UNSC and Covenant fighting back on Madrigal for some more Forerunner artifacts and then another Covenant fleet will glass Reach at the same time.

Basically make the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV and the Fall of Reach simultaneous rather than sequential like they are in the books. And make Madrigal the new Sigma Octanus IV.

You're right, I was thinking of the bigger reveal that it's not just a weapon, but a weapon of total galactic destruction, which is what happens in Two Betrayals.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

Rights issues with Marty and Michael probably.

It's exactly this. The Halo music rights are hosed. Marty owns the rights to music so nobody can stream the singleplayer campaigns on Twitch because they get DMCA'd. They might as well try to use The Beatles discography.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

His Divine Shadow posted:

2nd episode in and I wonder why the future always has to suck in sci-fi shows recently. Some of these peoples lives look worse than a medieval peasants.

Fiction often portrays a future based on the current reality. When things look to be improving the future is depicted as utopian and the people well meaning. When things seem to be getting worse the future is depicted as *gestures to all current science fiction*

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Elites are on par with Spartans for physical size and strength and also have shields and the occasional ability to be invisible. So yeah they absolutely decimate humans in peer to peer combat.

In general though humans have an advantage in ground warfare against the Covenant because of having actual military tactics and combined arms warfare.

However, in space humanity gets wiped out every battle against Covenant ships unless there's better than 3:1 odds in humanity's favor. Once the Covenant own the skies, humans on the surface eventually lose the war of attrition or get glassed with orbital plasma bombardments.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Professor Beetus posted:

or stick them with a plasma grenade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Nu_ae5bpc&t=192s

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Halsey being a self murdering psycho war criminal being allowed to do war crimes and kidnap kids plays a lot better when the UNSC is literally on the losing end of a war against an unbeatable alien force and they need literally ANYTHING to hang out. Show is not doing a very good job selling the covenant threat and why it’s allowed people like Hasley to just get away with poo poo.

That's the thing though. In the prime timeline the UNSC did let Halsey get away with it and then when the Covenant showed up they used it to justify human atrocities after the fact.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Khanstant posted:

haha dude i only played the campaign of most of the first game and only got as far as the regular funny noise aliens and the popcorn zombie ones, didnt even know they had monkey aliens. so she just corrupted donkey brains for evil, or was she trying to do some kind of typical "AI knows best GONE WILDLY WRONG" thing?

actually, why are the humans and aliens fuckin with each other anyway? space is big enough for the both of us lol, you really need to go out of your way to find eachother

She decided AI should rule the galaxy and advised all worlds that resistance would be met with force. The Brutes (monkey guys from Halo 2+) resisted and their homeworld was destroyed. Humans also resisted and... Sydney Australia was destroyed. She might have be playing favorites.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

my cat is norris posted:

The Madrigal plot is so fkn stupid. Everything else is working for me.

Yeah same. I don't give a poo poo about Kwan anymore. Sorren is a pretty cool dude though. This is 100% speculation but I'm guessing that their ancestors true purpose or whatever is protecting a Forerunner facility.

I'm on the edge of my seat with the Eridanus II plot because when they described the plague that hit the planet last episode it was stated that the UNSC implemented "Emergency Protocol Upsilon" which in the books is what the UNSC use for outbreaks of The Flood.

And this episode we have an unexplained drawing of a big circle with tendrils. :shepface:

My favorite part of the latest episode was when John gets to the big hole in the ground and just jumps into it. It's so perfect in every way.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I enjoyed this episode and it felt like one of the "lore accurate Master Chief" videos during the battle which is how it should be.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Only Kindness posted:

Loving the boiled piss. It's an adaptation. What, like The Shining?

More Cortana on-screen please. Also protect Kai at all costs.

Someone explain why that guy evaporated into purple goo in the go-kart thing?

That guy was shot with needles from "The Needler" alien gun shown last episode by Kai in Miranda's lab. If a few of those needles hit you they'll super combine, and then you explode into a pink mist.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Man I really liked the Travis Halo novel trilogy. I don't recall anything particularly awful about them vs other Halo novels at least.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a minor thing but I appreciate that the aliens that carry shields finally were allowed to also carry swords lol

MINOR thing??? You think laughing in the face of hundreds of years of Sangheili honor for a few minutes of entertaining television is a minor thing? Yeah I'm sure just handing out holy swords to hordes of Kig-Yar is no big deal to a casual fan, but it goes against the very fabric of the Halo Universe and I for one can no longer give my support to this abomination of a TV show.
:goonsay:

e: fb

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Even though I really dislike the Madrigal plot line, the actor playing Kwan is doing a fantastic job. While the scene with her slamming rocks against the chain was ultimately pretty boring, she did a great job with the emotion behind it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Zotix posted:

As someone who has limited knowledge of Halo 1 and 2, which was like 15 years ago, is Reach the only major human base of operations?

Pretty much. It's the first, and biggest colony of Earth. There are other largish inner colonies but Reach is the central hub of them all.

It's like Hawaii is to the Pacific Islands.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 29, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like to think that since Makee has been raised by aliens for the most part that she views other humans as the dumb and lesser beings that the Covenant propaganda makes them out to be. So she think she's being so sneaky and crafty and pulling one over the ol' UNSC whereas even the nameless door guard sees through her bullshit. Basically she's the Pakled spy from Lower Decks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's a major part of the story in the beginning of Halo Wars 2

RIP Serena :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duorFScIvP4

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

Something tells me that The Weapon from Halo Infinite will decide to call herself Durandal.

Unless Microsoft also bought the rights to Marathon with Halo, I doubt that's possible. Microsoft probably isn't excited to get sued by another prior Halo company. :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah! :/

Edit: Twitter and Reddit both indicate he's done something similar in the past and that he can be overly dramatic. Based on a message posted to his own Discord, he's "starting a new chapter," which I hope indicates that he's okay and not about to do something terrible.

He's just being dramatic and retiring.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It should have been the Arbiter and Chief having the sex scene :argh:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In the Silver timeline maybe Tartarus leads the Banished

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Spartan IIIs were also the orphans from planets glassed by the Covenant, so their willingness to become suicidal super soldiers was deeply rooted.

There were a ton of S-IIIs compared to IIs and they weren't as expensive or useful so they were used on suicide missions a lot.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center.

On the topic of Spartans being nightmare agony fuel, the weirdest part is how the Eric Nylund books (that are the most in-depth look at the SII and SIII training programs) play them completely straight and have basically zero characters question the ethics of child soldiers. You really don't get people pointing out just how hosed up Spartans are until you get to Karen Traviss's Kilo-5 novels, which most people didn't read because it's Karen "Talifans" Traviss.

I have no idea what else Karen Travis has written or done but the Kilo5 novels are really good. If anyone out there cares about the Halo universe and hasn't read them, they're doing themselves a disservice.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been retconned and expanded a ton but as of Halo Infinite, the UNSC was destroyed (humanity is fine) and Master Chief is the last known Spartan that isn't trapped in multiplayer

"Known" meaning to the UNSC. Red Team is still on the UNSC Spirit of Fire but as far as I'm aware they still haven't made contact with the fleet again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also Noble 6 is hiding in a cave

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This episode.... was good?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My guess for a future twist is that Ackerson betrays the UNSC and joins the Covenant because they can make perfect clones, like Mackee, and he wants his sister back.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I assume it's because they made a whole ODST game and I bet he didn't get any royalties from it

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Professor Beetus posted:

An Xbox existing in the Halo universe raises too many questions for me, tbh

In the Halo Universe, the breakout title of the Xbox was Cel Damage

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

That whole interrogation scene with pirate wife was completely pointless. We don't need to develop the motivations or characters of the traitor crew because they all fuckin die right afterwards. We don't learn any new info or anything. The show just completely wastes 5 minutes of your life.

That scene wasn't about pirate wife, it was about Kwan methodically slitting throats.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Having the chiefs armor stolen is both a good reason to have him be helmet less and adds significantly more stakes to the combat. It also adds more badassness to the fights. A fun and good choice imo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Mental Hospitality posted:

As a non-Halo Game Player I'm just chiming in to say I really like this show. Hell, I got my 67 year old dad watching this and the last video game he played was Need For Speed 2 when we bought a steering wheel for our Pentium 2 computer. I thought the action in the latest episode was top notch, the war tropes actually a bit (I was emotional), and maybe someday I'll fire up Steam and get on that Halo collection I purchased a year ago and never made time to play.

Maybe it's just Reverse-Star Trek syndrome. I've been terribly disappointed with shows like Discovery and Picard because they're so different from what I know as a fan as to be almost unrecognizable. Apparently there are people that like these shows, but haven't grown up with the canon like I did in the 80's and 90's. Maybe I fall into the same camp as them as Halo was never a real big part of my life as it was popular during a period of my life that I didn't own an xbox and wasn't really into console gaming.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the show. I hope they make a lot of episodes. The first season felt a bit weak at the beginning but I've really grown to enjoy it.

Picard is just bad. I like every Star Trek in some way except Picard. It's such an obvious nostalgia cash in and the writers put 0 thought into any of it. The plots are stupid and don't hold up to even the slightest critical thought, the characters aren't written anything like they were in TNG, a lot of legitimately good characters from older shows were unceremoniously killed off, and the few good new characters in the show were squandered and driven off. It's an embarrassment to the franchise and I hope they retcon it as a dream holodeck simulation or something.

I get it if Discovery is not your thing because there are some weird and bad parts to it, but overall I think it's a pretty good show that will see a rebound in ratings like Enterprise did.

I'd rate the Halo TV show on par with season 1 of Discovery. It's entertaining enough, and most of the criticisms are because it's trying to do things different than prior franchise entries.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

That journalist went soft as gently caress on him. You can still gleam how much of a piece of poo poo he is even though the reporter doesn't push for any kind of details.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really liked this episode and their introduction of The Flood. The games leave a huge grey area of what an initial Flood outbreak would look like in the beginning stages and I think they really nailed the creepiness and horror of it in the show. I hope there is a Season 3 and that we see combat forms and other variants as the outbreak gets worse.

It also seems to me like maybe someone writing for the show is a Dead Space fan because the interaction of Kwan with the "spirit of the planet" is very similar to how the Markers in Dead Space interact with certain people.

I was kind of hoping that when Chief punched the panel on the Covenant ship that it would give his armor a shield and that's how he would survive the crash. Missed opportunity imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How much time elapsed on Onyx? It seemed like a few hours. Seems like that's not unreasonable for a scientist to be checking their findings instead of immediately sounding an alarm. I mean in that universe they've found tons of alien life and it's more or less the same as Earth's.