Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
shaun micallef is 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
computer touch my back end

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
please privatise my infrastructure daddy dandrews, im broke

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i think a more interesting discussion could be how victoria has been routinely punished by three consecutive liberal federal governments receiving far less than its population share in federal infrastructure funding allocation, leaving victoria to find other ways to pay for the needs of its' population in what is australia's fastest growing (and 2nd most populous) state....

but i don't think that's what you want to hear, instead seeking redress for a traumatic 10 years at the hand of uppity victorians.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Has Victoria been punished more than the other states in terms of funding? In qld we hear a lot about getting shafted for federal funding and I know WA has a huge stick up their rear end about it so it seems weird to say Vic has been punished but I might be missing something. I assume NSW might have gotten an unfair share but I have no idea what the actual data looks like

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Has Victoria been punished more than the other states in terms of funding? In qld we hear a lot about getting shafted for federal funding and I know WA has a huge stick up their rear end about it so it seems weird to say Vic has been punished but I might be missing something. I assume NSW might have gotten an unfair share but I have no idea what the actual data looks like

eh i can't be bothered digging it all up right now but

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/mar/21/victorian-government-calls-for-fair-commonwealth-funding-for-transport-projects

quote:

The Grattan Institute report, released on Sunday night, found there was a “consistent pattern” of successive federal governments spending more money on transport in New South Wales and Queensland – where elections tend to be won and lost – than in Victoria.

quote:

Victoria has 26% of Australia’s population, but received just 18% of the federal transport funds over the past 15 years. New South Wales received a third of the transport funding, but has less than a third of the country’s population.

Queensland, which has 20% of the country’s population, received 24% of funding.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

so not just fed liberal govts, alp too!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
it’s because nsw is the best state

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

cool I wonder how much money the Victorian state government gets to play with by sheer dint of having a larger population.

Also I feel like it minimises the fact that theres a minimum cost of infrastructure and QLD is quite a long state and there has to be infrastructure all the way up to the top end. I don't have the numbers but you could definitely make an argument that it'd be hard for a smaller state population to adequately service a state which is magnitudes larger!!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think the gst allocation is also disproportionate, divided away from Victoria as well as nsw and wa, favouring states that cannot raise revenue from other sources as easily as those three could.

Looks like it’s all sunny up in qld indeed!

if we had a dollar for every victorian living rent free in recoomes head we could probably fund a bridge.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Recoome posted:

cool I wonder how much money the Victorian state government gets to play with by sheer dint of having a larger population.

Uh how do you think that works exactly?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Victoria, having the most population, should eat the lesser states

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

amazing how privatisation/outsourcing is bad until Victoria does it. Like this isn't supposed to be some state vs state slapfight but its loving rich where over the past 10 years Victorians have been throwing shade at both NSW and QLD and yet unironically support privatisation of VicRoads.

Has even NSW or QLD done a similar thing?

I didn't comment on it being good or bad. You started commenting on other states tho. Look inward.

E: oh I missed the next page. How did Victoria victimise and hurt you personally?

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 20, 2022

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think the the key moment was when the first ever bugs bunny sawing qld off gif was posted.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

How did Victoria victimise and hurt you personally?

For me it was the formation and dominance of the nrl by the storm

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hambeet posted:

I think the the key moment was when the first ever bugs bunny sawing qld off gif was posted.

I regret nothing

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

My issue is the assertion that 100 dollar bills facilitate crime more than other denominations. After the 2007 crash there were a flurry of articles implying this with no actual evidence of it because of a huge spike in hundreds in circulation. The actual cause was that people had completely lost faith in banks and were mattressing money in the most spatially efficient form. There's never been a huge criminal pressure to use large notes and in fact for the same reason normal people don't like hundreds, criminals typically also don't like using them, because they immediately make you conspicuous. There's also the matter that the single most common note in criminal activity is the 20 because the main source of cash laundering is the humble pokie.

If anything the main thing faciliating crime is the Commonwealth bank ignoring the multitude of payments hovering just below the $10k reportable cap, the the huge number that were above it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Pfft amateurs

You don't even start looking for your purse/wallet until the nice young person asks for you to pay. You then fumble in your stuff for as long as you think you can get away with it before proudly producing your flybys or loyalty card ( I like to go for one for another store on my first attempt, but I'm a pro). Then and only then do you start to faf around on your 'smart' phone looking for a way to pay.

"Oh just one minute, I need to transfer the money over."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Not usually, but the federal libs had become more and more vindictive. The last budget was designed to cripple the state because they've been getting their heads kicked in here for ten years. Probably not a problem now that they're gone.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Oh just one minute, I need to transfer the money over."

This is very much a young person thing for me but tbh the kind of old cunts that buy piss off me are all loaded

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
How long until Green Queensland gets financially kneecapped by the ALP looking to fend off from the left?

bane of goodpostin
Jul 13, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

For me it was the formation and dominance of the nrl by the storm

something something dan andrews needs to open up a 2nd set of books

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You see, it's actually the fault of the Feds that Victoria is doing poorly, there's no other explanation

quote:

The report, released by Victoria's anti-corruption watchdog on Wednesday, uncovered "egregious" and "extensive misconduct" by Victorian Labor MPs, including rampant nepotism, widespread misuse of public resources and a culture of branch stacking dating back decades.

hahahahah ohhhhhh

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

i think a more interesting discussion could be how victoria has been routinely punished by three consecutive liberal federal governments receiving far less than its population share in federal infrastructure funding allocation, leaving victoria to find other ways to pay for the needs of its' population in what is australia's fastest growing (and 2nd most populous) state....

but i don't think that's what you want to hear, instead seeking redress for a traumatic 10 years at the hand of uppity victorians.

those vic indy movement creeps got to you too huh

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Victorian Confederation President Dan "The Mandate Man" Andrews about to give his Cornerstone Address.

It's about state rights, you see

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

hooman posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
lmao

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I recall the RBA was staggered about the demand for $100 notes and the sheer number in circulation, because as you say ATMs don't dispense them and you don't get them as change.

On the rare occasions when I have to go into my bank branch, I like to withdraw a $100 note. It just feels good to have one in my wallet for some reason.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Recoome vs the state of Victoria

who will win :munch:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Queenslanders remain mad their state is absolute poo poo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

oh yeah? name one thing as beautiful as the Inner City Bypass. Yeah I didn't think you could

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Need a crying pineapple emote.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The new green $100 notes don't have the same zazz as the old white ones with Mawson on them.

I never use them for any of my completely-above-board cash transactions as a totally legit and respected business person.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TammyHEH posted:

*looks around at our 3 green MPs and smirks*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

TammyHEH posted:

Queenslanders remain mad their state is the absolute poo poo

we're MAD about GREENSLAND

it does however seem very convenient that Victoria is apparently broke and a bunch of Labor people seem to be responsible (under Dan Andrew's watch no less)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

oh yeah? name one thing as beautiful as the Inner City Bypass. Yeah I didn't think you could

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

To be honest this could be Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth or the other one because all 5 Australian cities look really similar

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

To be honest this could be Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth or the other one because all 5 Australian cities look really similar

You can rule out Melbourne because I didn't see anyone from the state government panhandling for infrastructure money

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TammyHEH posted:

I will make a serious and heartfelt defense of any state or territory other than NSW.

Cos gently caress it, it's NSW mate. Everyone knows it garbage.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Recoome posted:

You can rule out Melbourne because I didn't see anyone from the state government panhandling for infrastructure money

The meltdown continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It’s Brisbane again. That’s the Victoria Bridge, it was once the main bridge connecting the CBD to the inner south, until they closed it to cars a year ago. Now it’s busses, bikes, pedestrians and the upcoming new light rail service.