Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"What if a middle-aged white man in a humdrum job realized his reality was an illusion and the world secretly revolved around him?"

This burning, important question has previously been examined in such films as:

The Truman Show
The Matrix
The Lego Movie
Stranger than Fiction

and, to a certain extent Fight Club.

But the question has never been satisfactorily answered apparently because we as a society seem desperate to explore every possible facet and iteration of this ageless riddle.

Does Free Guy (2021) starring Ryan Reynolds of Green Lantern fame finally cut the Gordian knot? When Guy calls all the NPCs together and tells them that they're all the Special and they need to unite against the evil Lord Business before he destroys their world, does it offer deeper insight than when Emmett called all the Lego people together and told them that they are all the Special and need to unite against Lord Business before he destroys their world?

And what about Molotov Girl? Does she more fully embody the archetype of the offbeat girl that snaps the middle-aged white man out of his illusions than Trinity, Wyldstyle, that girl who moved to Figi, or the girl who wouldn't pay her taxes? Or the girl in Fight Club if there is a girl in Fight Club?

It really makes you think. As a middle-aged white man, I am desperate for someone to finally reveal to me that I have unlimited power so that I might answer the question for myself. Alas, I'm still stuck in the real world.

Or am I?

4/10 for having even less new to say than the last five tries. I was able to amuse myself, as a toddler might, by spotting the toys I recognized on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wait is this another movie I just recovered from Turning Red.

I'll check it out tomorrow

Ugh what channel can I stream it on I can't sleep anyway.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 31, 2022

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Treecko posted:

Wait is this another movie I just recovered from Turning Red.

I'll check it out tomorrow

No just watch Turning Red again. It's a better use of your time.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

You should get a front page article series titled "A grown man watches movies for children"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jabberlock posted:

You should get a front page article series titled "A grown man watches movies for children"

I should!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also they need to put the Dwight Pranks on the front page because that poo poo is fire.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Im probably the last weirdo to access the forums via the frontpage. I just keep hoping I guess

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I throughly enjoyed Rio and Rio 2 but I don't have an article about them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I watched the entirety of Rio just for the scene in the trailer where the beachball bounces off the girl's butt.

It wasn't worth it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In retrospect I didn't even need to see the movie because the entire butt part was in the trailer.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

In retrospect I didn't even need to see the movie because the entire butt part was in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Ryan Reynolds seems like a less-realized Paul Rudd

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Ryan Reynolds is just the rich man's Dane Cook.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Ryan Reynolds is just the rich man's Dane Cook.

:hmmyes:

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Dane Cook.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i've seen a poster around here that would blow dane cook

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

If the titular guy is so "free" then how come I have to pay to watch his antics? ANSWER ME "PRESIDENT" BIDEN!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Does Total Recall count among the movies listed in the OP? Discuss.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I liked Ryan Reynolds in 'Voices' where he's an unmedicated schizophrenic and talks to animals and severed heads.

Detective Pikachu and Deadpool are fine too.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh and my grandma uses his cell phone network

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poop

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I personally look forward to the protagonist earning the trust of a crew of allies who are not straight white men aged 21-40 and who each possess a unique skill that can assist, but not overshadow, him.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Are that styls guys' threads spreading?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Applewhite posted:

"What if a middle-aged white man in a humdrum job realized his reality was an illusion and the world secretly revolved around him?"

This burning, important question has previously been examined in such films as:

The Truman Show
The Matrix
The Lego Movie
Stranger than Fiction

and, to a certain extent Fight Club.

But the question has never been satisfactorily answered apparently because we as a society seem desperate to explore every possible facet and iteration of this ageless riddle.

Does Free Guy (2021) starring Ryan Reynolds of Green Lantern fame finally cut the Gordian knot? When Guy calls all the NPCs together and tells them that they're all the Special and they need to unite against the evil Lord Business before he destroys their world, does it offer deeper insight than when Emmett called all the Lego people together and told them that they are all the Special and need to unite against Lord Business before he destroys their world?

And what about Molotov Girl? Does she more fully embody the archetype of the offbeat girl that snaps the middle-aged white man out of his illusions than Trinity, Wyldstyle, that girl who moved to Figi, or the girl who wouldn't pay her taxes? Or the girl in Fight Club if there is a girl in Fight Club?

It really makes you think. As a middle-aged white man, I am desperate for someone to finally reveal to me that I have unlimited power so that I might answer the question for myself. Alas, I'm still stuck in the real world.

Or am I?

4/10 for having even less new to say than the last five tries. I was able to amuse myself, as a toddler might, by spotting the toys I recognized on the screen.
not exactly what happens in fight club

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Prettz posted:

not exactly what happens in fight club

Notice how Fight Club is off to the side with a caveat describing it as an edge case.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Fight Club the protagonist's world is not an "illusion" in the same sense as The Matrix and The Truman Show but he becomes disillusioned with the hollowness of the commercialized middle class lifestyle, so it's "illusory" in a more metaphorical sense. Through this revelation, the protagonist's true powers are unlocked and he becomes important.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

reality gay, so what

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You've really talked me out of ever wanting to watch this movie thank you for saving 2 hours of my time.

I watched Fight Club once because Edward Norton is cute. Too bad he's apparently an rear end in a top hat and hard to work with.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Applewhite posted:

In Fight Club the protagonist's world is not an "illusion" in the same sense as The Matrix and The Truman Show but he becomes disillusioned with the hollowness of the commercialized middle class lifestyle, so it's "illusory" in a more metaphorical sense. Through this revelation, the protagonist's true powers are unlocked and he becomes important.

It's also about toxic masculinity though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

It's also about toxic masculinity though.

I met the author once on a plane and he confirmed it was actually about men loving each other in bathhouses.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I met the author once on a plane and he confirmed it was actually about men loving each other in bathhouses.

Tomato, tomato

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish a Free Guy would Finally Answer the Question of if there's boobs in this movie or what

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There's some brief shots of that include cleavage but not much.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Free Fucker

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

WHERE???

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah but this one has Taika Waitititititi acting like himself and mugging so

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The movie has very little fanservice outside blink-and-you'll-miss-it videogame references. There's the Megaman buster cannon and the Halo Tank drives by in the background and stuff like that. Yeah and Taika Watiti I guess.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Wait. Video game content makes movies better? NOW I'm confused!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yuck I'll just watch Encanto and Ready Player One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ready player 1.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_G-UinDTdc