Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve personally been disillusioned enough by life to not want to escape from middle class blandness mostly by not quite achieving it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Average "joe", Ryan Reynolds

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Does Total Recall count among the movies listed in the OP? Discuss.

Demure

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

this motherfucker said Figi!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Edward Norton
So much charisma that he was not overshadowed by Brad Pitt at the absolute height of his attractiveness

Think on it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i want you to suck me as hard as you can
what
i want you. to suck me. as hard as you can

sometimes tyler would speak for me. "fell into some cum."
"I fell into some cum."

The first rule of suck club is you do not spit. The second rule of suck club is you do not spit.

If this is your first night at suck club, you have to suck.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I watched and enjoyed Free Guy op. But I am not looking for deep meaning in a movie for children. Perhaps you should try that.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It seems HIGHLY doubtful, and will just cover a man living in a videotape as a God, discovering that none of it is real, and then trying to GTFO.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Peggy Edson posted:

I watched and enjoyed Free Guy op. But I am not looking for deep meaning in a movie for children. Perhaps you should try that.

Perhaps you should try looking for deep meaning in movies for children because the movies children watch will shape their values as adults.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Free Urine Guy

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

In Fight Club the protagonist's world is not an "illusion" in the same sense as The Matrix and The Truman Show but he becomes disillusioned with the hollowness of the commercialized middle class lifestyle, so it's "illusory" in a more metaphorical sense. Through this revelation, the protagonist's true powers are unlocked and he becomes important.

Yes, but then it turns out that the disillusioned/important/newly empowered part of him is the actual problem.

That, and the fact that this badass and cool idealized inner man he made up for himself is straight. Tyler wants Marla, Marla wants the narrator (she doesn't know "Tyler" is a separate person and thinks all that macho-man cult bullshit is stupid anyway), and the narrator doesn't want Marla at all. He wants Tyler (or, failing that, other dudes).

It is possible the author missed this subtext in his own work, but it is there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was a fun popcorn movie with jokes about video games

It was not supposed to be a critical statement on the reality of white guys. If anything it was about empty corporate moneygrabbing overpowering art, which is somewhat ironic I guess.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

It was a fun popcorn movie with jokes about video games

It was not supposed to be a critical statement on the reality of white guys. If anything it was about empty corporate moneygrabbing overpowering art, which is somewhat ironic I guess.

I didn't say it was a critical statement of anything. I said what it was literally about.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Applewhite posted:

"What if a middle-aged white man in a humdrum job realized his reality was an illusion and the world secretly revolved around him?"

This burning, important question has previously been examined in such films as:

The Truman Show
The Matrix
The Lego Movie
Stranger than Fiction

and, to a certain extent Fight Club.

But the question has never been satisfactorily answered apparently because we as a society seem desperate to explore every possible facet and iteration of this ageless riddle.

Does Free Guy (2021) starring Ryan Reynolds of Green Lantern fame finally cut the Gordian knot? When Guy calls all the NPCs together and tells them that they're all the Special and they need to unite against the evil Lord Business before he destroys their world, does it offer deeper insight than when Emmett called all the Lego people together and told them that they are all the Special and need to unite against Lord Business before he destroys their world?

And what about Molotov Girl? Does she more fully embody the archetype of the offbeat girl that snaps the middle-aged white man out of his illusions than Trinity, Wyldstyle, that girl who moved to Figi, or the girl who wouldn't pay her taxes? Or the girl in Fight Club if there is a girl in Fight Club?

It really makes you think. As a middle-aged white man, I am desperate for someone to finally reveal to me that I have unlimited power so that I might answer the question for myself. Alas, I'm still stuck in the real world.

Or am I?

4/10 for having even less new to say than the last five tries. I was able to amuse myself, as a toddler might, by spotting the toys I recognized on the screen.

there is a girl in Fight Club and her name is Martha! learn some culture you swine!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I watched Fight Club and read the book and I can't think of anything Martha did.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I just realized a lot of the movies I ever paid attention to had Edward Norton in them.

Red Dragon, Primal Fear, Death to Smoochie, American History X...

Never saw Hulk tho.

Dang he was cute wtf happened to him?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Treecko posted:

Dang he was cute wtf happened to him?

Birdman

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Big Beef City posted:

I wish a Free Guy would Finally Answer the Question of if there's boobs in this movie or what

i love boobs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:mamacita::sonia::mamacita:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
video game s are good unless thjeir bad

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Junk posted:

video game s are good unless thjeir bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDIEU1G8Is

You have to fight to go to Utopia.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Fight club was a true story, except instead of blowing up financial institutions to return the world to a state of barbarism, they didn't do that and it happened anyway.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

he's in jail again???

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It would be cool if one of these followed the protagonist after he escaped and tried to integrate into normal society only to have a massive breakdown over how different and honestly worse his new world is. He has no direction or sense of purpose. Everything's mundane and cold. He realizes his old life was Heaven and desperately wants to go back.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdkws4svu3U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'll watch almost anything to the end but Free Guy made me quit about the point they were driving around the rich guy's garage. Such a turd it even made Taika Waititi unfunny.