Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apr 4, 2024
consumer protection inside of a sharia law dictatorship? delusional!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Conservative activist Leonard Leo has been subpoenaed by the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee related to an investigation into Supreme Court ethics in what he calls a "politically motivated" move that he will not abide by.

"Today, I received an unlawful and politically motivated subpoena from U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Dick Durbin," Leo said in a statement on Thursday.

"I am not capitulating to his lawless support of Senator Sheldon Whitehouse and the left's dark money effort to silence and cancel political opposition."

Leo was subpoenaed by the committee in what is the latest back and forth between Senate Democrats and Leo as the Senate has continued summoning information regarding trips and events that Supreme Court justices have taken and participated in over the years.

For decades, Leo has been a part of the Federalist Society, which has long been criticized by liberal activists for its involvement in helping advise and lobby former President Trump through the nominations of Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett.

The senators have previously asked for an itemized list of gifts and payments from Leo or groups he is associated with dating back decades and related to any Supreme Court justice he has associated with amid public outcry from Democrats accusing Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas of ethics violation, which have been dismissed by many as politically motivated.

In a Thursday letter to Durbin, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary, Leo’s lawyer David Rivkin Jr., reiterated Leo is "not complying" with the "unlawful and politically motivated subpoena.

"The senators' demands stem from ProPublica's reporting on the travel habits of Justices Thomas and Alito. Specifically, ProPublica reported on an Alaskan fishing trip that Justice Alito took with hedge fund billionaire, Paul Singer, who would later have business matters before the high court.

Conservatives have widely criticized by pointing out that many of the "experts" cited in the various reports have undisclosed ties to Democratic causes.

The committee has also previously authorized a potential subpoena for GOP donor Harlan Crow related to gifts he gave Thomas and called the two subpoenas "key pieces of our legislative effort to establish an effective code of conduct" for the Supreme Court.

Conservatives have called out ProPublica for being primarily funded by organizations and donors who support liberal causes, including court-packing and removing conservative justices from the court.

Alito has defended himself against ProPublica's reporting, and Leo has released a statement dismissing the idea that the fishing trip was somehow kept from the public.

"By selectively targeting Mr. Leo for investigation on a politically charged basis, while ignoring other potential sources of information on the asserted topic of interest who are similarly situated to Mr. Leo but have different political views that are more consistent with those of the Committee majority, your inquiry appears to be political retaliation against a private citizen in violation of the First Amendment," Rivkin previously wrote to the committee.

Leo and his legal team have also pointed out that trips taken by former Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer and money received by late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg have not resulted in inquiries from the committee.

"Since July 2023, Leonard Leo has responded to the legitimate oversight requests of the Senate Judiciary Committee with a blanket refusal to cooperate," Sen. Durbin told Fox News Digital in a statement.

"His outright defiance left the Committee with no other choice but to move forward with the compulsory process. For that reason, I have issued a subpoena to Mr. Leo."

The statement continued, "Mr. Leo has played a central role in the ethics crisis plaguing the Supreme Court and, unlike the other recipients of information requests in this matter, he has done nothing but stonewall the Committee. This subpoena is a direct result of Mr. Leo’s own actions and choices."

An aide for Durbin told Fox News Digital that while the senator "certainly expects the subject to acknowledge the gravity of a Congressional subpoena" there are "options available to the Senate to enforce a subpoena in the event of noncompliance."

Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for comment but did not immediately receive a response.

In November, the Supreme Court adopted a modified ethics code in response to pressure from Durbin's committee and others.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

I loving hate this country.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Some Guy TT posted:

Conservative activist Leonard Leo has been subpoenaed by the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee related to an investigation into Supreme Court ethics in what he calls a "politically motivated" move that he will not abide by.

mf is named Leo Leo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no regard for the 'nard

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dxt posted:

mf is named Leo Leo

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://x.com/reuters/status/1779904499529789776?s=46&t=8eGAks3mGgDHUb4Mz4yNSw

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

please be dead

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

He Will Die, And In The Interest Of Compromise Biden Will Not Appoint Another Justice Since It Is An Election Year

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

He Will Die, And In The Interest Of Compromise Biden Will Not Appoint Another Justice Since It Is An Election Year

on the other hand, this is how they get rid of Kamala

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

on the other hand, this is how they get rid of Kamala

Lmfao there’s absolutely no way that the republicans would let them do that, they know she’s an albatross that they’d loving love to dump

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think the Republicans will insist on pretending he's alive until proven otherwise.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I have no confidence Biden would nominate a better replacement rather than picking some right wing Catholic in order to preserve balance or some dumb poo poo, so I don't care

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

I have no confidence Biden would nominate a better replacement rather than picking some right wing Catholic in order to preserve balance or some dumb poo poo, so I don't care

it 100000% does not matter either way. our liberal justices in 2022 already said they all loved child slavery, how much worse can it really get?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

dxt posted:

mf is named Leo Leo

not a fan of this new JoJo arc

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Spergin Morlock posted:

Scotus nominee? In an election year? Where's your decorum

Apr 16, 2024
"public genital exposure is still illegal in the year 2024" - the supreme court

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1779880844372463696

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Interestingly, they’re also about to overturn a lot of the 1/6 convictions by saying the government was overreaching by using a law intended to punish financial crimes against the rioters

The Vox article is a little ahead of itself because they just said the trial could go forward so it’s as of now uncertain if he’ll actually be held liable, but even having to deal with a trial is obviously a big silencer when it comes to organizing. We will see

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

from what ive been hearing the liberals in oral arguments seemed sympathetic to the idea that the enron law could be interpreted so broadly any protest while congress is in session is a violation of it so that will likely be interpreted as a nakedly political ruling

come to think of it im not sure i actually heard any quotes suggesting the liberals agree with the argument which is odd considering that even clarence thomas was quoted launching zingers about just how extreme the government could get with this interpretation if they felt like it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

from what ive been hearing the liberals in oral arguments seemed sympathetic to the idea that the enron law could be interpreted so broadly any protest while congress is in session is a violation of it so that will likely be interpreted as a nakedly political ruling

come to think of it im not sure i actually heard any quotes suggesting the liberals agree with the argument which is odd considering that even clarence thomas was quoted launching zingers about just how extreme the government could get with this interpretation if they felt like it

Using the Enron law is honestly pretty dumb but let’s not pretend that it’s not nakedly politically partisan because while I think the conservatives are in the right here, I have no doubt they’d take the opposite position if the subjects were BLM protesters

041724_3
Apr 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Apr 17, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1782399533793620267

i for one am relieved

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

He misspoke, he meant "do".

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

Surely George followed that up with, "Well then, why won't Clarence Thomas recuse himself from January 6 coup cases?"

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

just embarrassing lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

listening to oral arguments and im not sure whos talking or what theyre talking about but some guys really pushing this hypothetical of whether presidential immunity would qualify against the enron law if the president was leading a peaceful sit in to protest legislation that delays an official proceeding lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

listening to oral arguments and im not sure whos talking or what theyre talking about but some guys really pushing this hypothetical of whether presidential immunity would qualify against the enron law if the president was leading a peaceful sit in to protest legislation that delays an official proceeding lol

Are they trying for a "make protesting illegal"/"make Trump and only Trump immune from all crimes and the laws of physics" twofer?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

if Biden had a pair he'd order Trump to be assassinated to test the "presidential immunity" line of thinking. Trump is going to try it on him if (when) he gets back in so... lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

if Biden had a pair he'd order Trump to be assassinated to test the "presidential immunity" line of thinking. Trump is going to try it on him if (when) he gets back in so... lmao

I feel like this would be a bad idea and also I feel pretty confident Trump isn’t going to do that either

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

why would trump waste time going after a corpse

hes got plenty of other very much alive enemies to go after

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I feel like this would be a bad idea and also I feel pretty confident Trump isn’t going to do that either

that's a shame

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

Lmfao.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if they rule in favor of absolute immunity, immediately murdering the yea voters would be very funny

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

They'll just put a Bush v. Gore "This is not stare decisis!" note at top and so it will only apply to Trump - bing bong, so simple!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

starting to think this whole Supreme Court thing is a bunch of horseshit

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

starting to think this whole Supreme Court thing is a bunch of horseshit

Well, yeah - Andrew Jackson told John Marshall to gently caress off as did Abraham Lincoln to Roger Taney. It's literally a :decorum: institution created by Marshall to give himself absolute power around 200 years ago.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Horseshoe theory posted:

Well, yeah - Andrew Jackson told John Marshall to gently caress off as did Abraham Lincoln to Roger Taney. It's literally a :decorum: institution created by Marshall to give himself absolute power around 200 years ago.

judicial review is completely made up! it wouldn't withstand its own scrutiny!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

has anyone considered ignoring them