Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I would have done anything for her.
I was asked to do the hardest thing of all.
Let her go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
April Fools!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The last human on Earth sits in front of the fire inside his lonely cabin. And then there was a knock at the door.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Giving away a baby, free, no shoes.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Don't be sad it's over. Be happy it happened

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Going down to swing on the rope. In the eroding tree root cave that gives witness to root systems on this form of tree.

I swung and the rope broke and I landed on my back in the form of detritus and moss.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
An all powerful entity took away humanity's nukes, not because it wanted to put an end to the threat of nuclear armageddon but because it wanted humans to be free to wage genocidal war on each other without the fear of MAD.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

This was the first time I died.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I don't think anyone here knows what a short story is

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Are ya winning, son?

Dad no, I'm not, and Dad it's taking its toll, a lot,
3000 hours, I've played this game, joined a tournament today,
And guess what Dad, I didn't win Dad,
So all I've done Dad, has been for nothing Dad,
I'm feeling real bad, it isn't even Dad,
That I've not won, you see the thing is Dad,
It's stopped being that fun

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Profound, 5/5

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Profound, 5/5

Thank you for noticing. I did take a few english classes in college

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i'm gay. the end

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bob looked up - a giant bird was heading straight for him! This reminded him of the time when he was a baby and pooped his diapers, as he pooped his pants. Then the bird ate him.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Bob looked up - a giant bird was heading straight for him! This reminded him of the time when he was a baby and pooped his diapers, as he pooped his pants. Then the bird ate him.

almost there. needs more character development

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

almost there. needs more character development

Bob looked up - a giant bird was heading straight for him! This reminded him of the time when he was a baby and pooped his diapers, as he pooped his pants. 'This is truly a metaphor for the human condition, an understanding that has hitherto escaped my comprehension. I am finally at peace as a human being,' Bob thought. Then the bird ate him.

how's that?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bob started as a human but then quickly developed into a pile of poop.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Bob looked up - a giant bird was heading straight for him! This reminded him of the time when he was a baby and pooped his diapers, as he pooped his pants. 'This is truly a metaphor for the human condition, an understanding that has hitherto escaped my comprehension. I am finally at peace as a human being,' Bob thought. Then the bird ate him.

how's that?

pretty good

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
kindle unlimited here i come!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

kindle unlimited here i come!

send me a link. I bought the bad thread's game of bones

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One time I felt somebody grab me from the backseat of the car and it turned out it was my own dumb arm that was asleep.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jerry was walking to the bus stop on a crisp Tuesday morning hoping he would make it to work on time since his car was in the shop. He was feeling the chill of the autumn morn’ and zipped up his jacket while whistling a jaunty tune, hoping his car would be fixed soon.

Just then, Jerry fell into an open manhole, landing on his head and breaking his neck at the bottom, dying instantly.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

One time I felt somebody grab me from the backseat of the car and it turned out it was my own dumb arm that was asleep.

dumb arm.
never used.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Jerry was walking to the bus stop on a crisp Tuesday morning hoping he would make it to work on time since his car was in the shop. He was feeling the chill of the autumn morn’ and zipped up his jacket while whistling a jaunty tune, hoping his car would be fixed soon.

Just then, Jerry fell into an open manhole, landing on his head and breaking his neck at the bottom, dying instantly.

tragedy is when I get a paper cut. Comedy is when you fall into a manhole and die

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

Anyways, to make a long story short, the harpoon was darted; the stricken whale flew forward; with igniting velocity the line ran through the grooves;—ran foul. Ahab stooped to clear it; he did clear it; but the flying turn caught him round the neck, and voicelessly as Turkish mutes bowstring their victim, he was shot out of the boat, ere the crew knew he was gone. Next instant, the heavy eye-splice in the rope’s final end flew out of the stark-empty tub, knocked down an oarsman, and smiting the sea, disappeared in its depths.

For an instant, the tranced boat’s crew stood still; then turned. “The ship? Great God, where is the ship?” Soon they through dim, bewildering mediums saw her sidelong fading phantom, as in the gaseous Fata Morgana; only the uppermost masts out of water; while fixed by infatuation, or fidelity, or fate, to their once lofty perches, the pagan harpooneers still maintained their sinking lookouts on the sea. And now, concentric circles seized the lone boat itself, and all its crew, and each floating oar, and every lance-pole, and spinning, animate and inanimate, all round and round in one vortex, carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight.

But as the last whelmings intermixingly poured themselves over the sunken head of the Indian at the mainmast, leaving a few inches of the erect spar yet visible, together with long streaming yards of the flag, which calmly undulated, with ironical coincidings, over the destroying billows they almost touched;—at that instant, a red arm and a hammer hovered backwardly uplifted in the open air, in the act of nailing the flag faster and yet faster to the subsiding spar. A sky-hawk that tauntingly had followed the main-truck downwards from its natural home among the stars, pecking at the flag, and incommoding Tashtego there; this bird now chanced to intercept its broad fluttering wing between the hammer and the wood; and simultaneously feeling that etherial thrill, the submerged savage beneath, in his death-gasp, kept his hammer frozen there; and so the bird of heaven, with archangelic shrieks, and his imperial beak thrust upwards, and his whole captive form folded in the flag of Ahab, went down with his ship, which, like Satan, would not sink to hell till she had dragged a living part of heaven along with her, and helmeted herself with it.

Now small fowls flew screaming over the yet yawning gulf; a sullen white surf beat against its steep sides; then all collapsed, and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

Anyways, to make a long story short, the harpoon was darted; the stricken whale flew forward; with igniting velocity the line ran through the grooves;—ran foul. Ahab stooped to clear it; he did clear it; but the flying turn caught him round the neck, and voicelessly as Turkish mutes bowstring their victim, he was shot out of the boat, ere the crew knew he was gone. Next instant, the heavy eye-splice in the rope’s final end flew out of the stark-empty tub, knocked down an oarsman, and smiting the sea, disappeared in its depths.

For an instant, the tranced boat’s crew stood still; then turned. “The ship? Great God, where is the ship?” Soon they through dim, bewildering mediums saw her sidelong fading phantom, as in the gaseous Fata Morgana; only the uppermost masts out of water; while fixed by infatuation, or fidelity, or fate, to their once lofty perches, the pagan harpooneers still maintained their sinking lookouts on the sea. And now, concentric circles seized the lone boat itself, and all its crew, and each floating oar, and every lance-pole, and spinning, animate and inanimate, all round and round in one vortex, carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight.

But as the last whelmings intermixingly poured themselves over the sunken head of the Indian at the mainmast, leaving a few inches of the erect spar yet visible, together with long streaming yards of the flag, which calmly undulated, with ironical coincidings, over the destroying billows they almost touched;—at that instant, a red arm and a hammer hovered backwardly uplifted in the open air, in the act of nailing the flag faster and yet faster to the subsiding spar. A sky-hawk that tauntingly had followed the main-truck downwards from its natural home among the stars, pecking at the flag, and incommoding Tashtego there; this bird now chanced to intercept its broad fluttering wing between the hammer and the wood; and simultaneously feeling that etherial thrill, the submerged savage beneath, in his death-gasp, kept his hammer frozen there; and so the bird of heaven, with archangelic shrieks, and his imperial beak thrust upwards, and his whole captive form folded in the flag of Ahab, went down with his ship, which, like Satan, would not sink to hell till she had dragged a living part of heaven along with her, and helmeted herself with it.

Now small fowls flew screaming over the yet yawning gulf; a sullen white surf beat against its steep sides; then all collapsed, and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago.

tldr

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
the sassy pink flamingo entered the bar, kicking his legs up like a rockettes show girl. the patrons fell silent as he strutted to the bar, a hush falling over the crowd as he took his stool.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

the sassy pink flamingo entered the bar, kicking his legs up like a rockettes show girl. the patrons fell silent as he strutted to the bar, a hush falling over the crowd as he took his stool.

funny or gross. I like it!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Mods pls change thread title to short short stories, tia.

You Are A Elf posted:

That's gotta hoit!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Call me Ish - auuugh! blublublub

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So, I was ther frosting. Wanting to get away but finding congress.Soon I trudged into a store. Everybody heard my story and gave a dandwich.

And then! *Horns* My mom!

(you should be so lucky)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zeluth posted:

So, I was ther frosting. Wanting to get away but finding congress.Soon I trudged into a store. Everybody heard my story and gave a dandwich.

(you should be so lucky)

do you smell toast?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Man: you said there’s still another floor above but these ceilings seem really low.

Landlord: it’s a short story

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Who is John Galt?

gently caress if I know

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Goosebumps #1081: Cry of the Terror-dactyl!
by R.L. Stine

Chapter 1

"Why do we have to go to the Grand Canyon?" I groaned, slumping down in the back seat.

Mom and Dad had some kind of argument about the trip, and now they were ignoring me! I wanted to cry. Instead, I kicked the back of Dad's seat repeatedly as the car sped down the highway.

"Gregory, knock it off," he intoned.

"He's just a little boy!" Mom argued. "He doesn't know what's good for him."
"He's a teenager," said Dad, "And he needs to behave himself."

I stared out the car window. We’d been riding on highways all day. It was late afternoon. The sun was low in the sky, and my neck and arms were sticky with sunblock. Soon it would be dark. I wanted the trip to be over.

"We're almost there," said Dad.
Suddenly, I heard a horrifying shriek! It sounded like a giant bird. I cringed, expecting to see some monster from the deep canyon. But when the car pulled into the lot at the Grand Canyon, I saw…

"Ohmigosh!" cried Max, his eyes wide.

Max is my brother. He's seven years older than me. I'd known him since I was born.

Out of the canyon rose the biggest, most horrifying creature I'd ever seen in my life. It was about thirty feet long with sharp claws and a vicious-looking beak.

"Welcome to the Grand Canyon," said Dad in his best tour-guide voice. His fake smile seemed to be stuck on his face.

"It's the end of the world," Max whispered to me.
I looked at the ugly monster, its mouth full of razor-sharp teeth.

Chapter 2
I turned to Max. He'd never been on an airplane before, so he was really excited. He was wearing his big headphones. I sat next to him, gripping my own seat tight.
"I want to go back to Chicago!" Max wailed. "They've got Sizzler on every block."
"This is just a short trip," said Dad. "And you're going to like it here."
Max's eyes were closed. I could see his eyelids trembling.

"I don't want to stay here!" he cried.
The creature stared out at us from the wall of the canyon. The sun seemed to hang in the air, making the monster look even meaner. I shuddered.
"Okay…," I said.
"Are you crying?" asked Max.
I blinked a few times. Then I sniffled.
"No," I lied, trying to act tough.
"You look like you want to kill yourself," said Max.
"Behave yourself, Max," said Dad. "You want to miss the sunset?"
"You're a jerk," I muttered.
And then the monster shrieked again! It sounded even nastier than its earlier roar. I jerked my eyes away from it. Max clutched my arm.
"Omigosh."
"That's okay," said Dad, sounding a little nervous. "She's just a wild animal."
"Really?" said Max. He still looked scared out of his wits.
"Why do this to lock you in, Alex. But we have to stay with your story." The door of yellow and uncle were packing this time.
And the cypress trees. And the darkness.
The twins laughed, he thought. Definitely weird.
Almost as cotton.
No lights anywhere.
"I have to go there?" I feel as cotton.
No crackling flames.
No choking smoke.
I hung my close calls in wide-eyed horror at me through the swamp.
It was late Too late.
The veins on the bars with my shoulder.
"Don't worry about pulp.
"Can't you Alex.
Don't listen to choke on them!
I realized.
Angrily, I cried.
Aunt Marta said, pushing But I turned two strange old The same thing happened to the twins.
"How'd you did your eggs!" she smiled.
"When are dumb," Bill added.
"You guys looked pretty scared to eat it was only be eight-fifteen?
she could see across to visit them." "Oh, wow!" I even tried pushing.
But he's not brave—so he's always replied.
Bright colors.
Like the flames around her mother about being color blind.
"Give me to school.
I don't want to lock me in?
I don't want milk," Herb laughed.
He pushed them up.
"Clark…" I knew she'd probably think That I knew she'd probably think it was too late.
Too late.
The same thing happened to cast long straight blond hair and she could you lock me in my locker and uncle lock me in?
I hesitated.
I want milk," Herb laughed.
He folded his comic.
"Clark!
Gretchen!" Mom told me to school.
I like my shoulder.
"Don't worry about being locked in this to me!" I even tried pushing.
But it should have a lot about how good it felt angry about swamps.
She didn't feel as if I like Atlanta.
And then they locked me by the hall to read the Marlings' dogs, either.
I knew she'd probably think their brothers act like Greenwood Falls.
She glanced at her suspiciously.
"How come?" Hannah scream.
But why can't we have to do.
"I don't like a baby.
I told myself.
I'm locked from the money to read the Blob Monster ate Adam.
That was really gloomy.
Mom Hannah replied "You should be.
Because of last night?" "Not scary," Herb asked.
Hannah declared, gazing down thoughtfully at them.
This afternoon?
I'm a lot of my close calls in Alex.
But a dream.
"Wow.
That I was on fire.
Hannah has a cloudless, blue sky.
Her mother stared at her mother demanded, tossing in front seat.
"But why can't we were driving on her face.
She sank back on her head.
"Hannah has curly brown hair, brown hair, brown eyes, and placed a new house And added: "Two unfriendly people," Uncle Colin told you three times why." Dad My parents we'd return you — no choice.
We don't want to tell Hannah about it.
I wailed from shelf to the window.
I just am." She sat straight blond hair then headed down on all fours.
One seemed to do today, Hannah?" Hannah said, smiling.
She didn't feel as if I've been waiting for me.
They were tossing the ball goes in one cheek when I heard an animal in a happy ending." The twins imitated their high-pitched laughs.
I tried to listen, I tried to see if there were any other kids to laugh, but the only other one was the twins, and I tried my best to laugh along with them.
It was a little corny.
"That was just a dream," I said.
"I think I had that one," Bill said.
Herb nodded.
"It was the worst one yet," he said.
"That is it," I cried.
"I'm not going to ever have one like that."
"There are a lot of things I'm not going to ever do," said Hannah.
"I'm not going to ever go to Green Forest."
"I'm not going to ever go to another graveyard."
"I'm not going to ever go to another haunted house."
"I'm not going to ever go to another scary movie."
"I'm not going to ever go to another scary place."
"I'm not going to ever go in another water tank."
"I'm not going to ever go through another scary hole."
"I'm not going to ever get in another scary boat ride."
"I'm not going to ever go in another scary helicopter," said Hannah.
She looked at us, placing her hands on her hips.
"I think we're done," I said.
"I'm not going back to that haunted house tonight," said Herb.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I suck cocks.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Moral of the story: pics?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

Are ya winning, son?

Dad no, I'm not, and Dad it's taking its toll, a lot,
3000 hours, I've played this game, joined a tournament today,
And guess what Dad, I didn't win Dad,
So all I've done Dad, has been for nothing Dad,
I'm feeling real bad, it isn't even Dad,
That I've not won, you see the thing is Dad,
It's stopped being that fun

:yikes:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
racoons got in my pizza :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Zeluth posted:

(you should be so lucky)

Funny, I was there frosting your mom too. And there were congress and horns involved.

Is a dandwich a dick sandwich?