Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I bought a Series S too! It's good. I got it over a Series X or PS5 for a killer feature: I could buy one. Very cool feature.

Also bunch of good games to play, Gamepass is fun. Have fun OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i left it downloading while i worked all day. i guess the wifi works a lot better at night because i'm getting like 70Mbps now

i've got:

Hollow Knight
Hades
Enter the Gungeon
Guardians of the Galaxy
Art of Rally
Skyrim

all free with game pass. holy gently caress. so much epic.

i'm gonna get elden ring tomorrow probably.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wifi Toilet posted:

Sorry OP, I’m in a bad mood since my boss decided to update a server yesterday (we had a policy of no updates on Friday, but I guess that doesn’t apply to her) so now I have to deal with poo poo being broken so I can’t imagine ever wanting a second job unless I was literally starving. If playing games takes your mind off all the bullshit in life, you do you and play those games.

i mean i still only work 40 hours a week. my main job i'm salaried and i really only do about 20 hours of work a week. plus, i love driving so doing uber is not really like "work" to me haha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

syntaxfunction posted:

I bought a Series S too! It's good. I got it over a Series X or PS5 for a killer feature: I could buy one. Very cool feature.

Also bunch of good games to play, Gamepass is fun. Have fun OP!

yeah gamestop here had PS5s in this weekend but:

i had a PS4 for ages. i would be inheriting a massive backlog of half finished games. i would also constantly be downloading TLOU2 or Uncharted 4 or God of War or Horizon etc to replay. fellow backlog havers and chronic replayers, you know my feels here.

i already have Gamepass because of PC games

a used Series S was only 280

oh, and i forgot about Quantum Break. i'm psyched to finally play that

poo poo, Subnautica: Below Zero just finished installing :woot:

edit: sorry for the triple post. post series S

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

He got a Series S so he’s not doing any of that.

Oh well what the gently caress what a loser

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I just set my xbox up in my study it needs over 4gb worth of updates because i dont think ive turned it on in like 8 months, luckily i have good internet so that shouldnt take TOO long.

Once its done imma smoke w33d and play cowboy i think :okpos:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Lol at people who think there will be 8K games on console this gen.

I’m thinking maybe when the inevitable mid-cycle “pro” consoles come out but I doubt 8K adoption will be anywhere near at a high enough level to make it worth while. Current gen can’t even do reliable locked 4K/30fps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man Below Zero is friggin gorgeous

i know the series S is the poverty console but i'm old and poo poo so it looks fuckin noice to me. plus my teevee is only like 44" and isn't 4k. or maybe it is. i don't really pay attention to that stuff

oh gently caress i forgot no man's sky is on xbox. the last time i played that was on a regylar ps4, not even PC, so i bet it's gonna absolutely melt my brain

good thing i bought weed. i tried a new brand of vape cart today. it was on sale but holy mother of pearl it's incredibly strong

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No Man's Sky is super nice now. I know there's a lot of base building and stuff but it is still at its best as a tourism sim imo.

I'm playing the poo poo out of Wonderlands right now and it is very cool and good. My housemates want to get a PS5 for themselves (and the house obv) some time so that's why I got the Series S.

This is the first console I've owned personally since the original Nintendo DS. Which was also my only console purchase for myself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i played the tutorial of elden ring but it's got like 2 hours at least to download :mad:

what a tease of a game

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol you bought the fail console for poors op

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
its because i am a poor, and a fail

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My series x released my corporal body and took my astral consciousness to a new realm of 8k 120 fps enlightenment amongst the star seed children in the golden realm.
It was there that Bill Gates infused me with the true essence of all gaming, leaving all other consoles and PC havers str8 lackin' and weeping.
Then and only then was i rocketed back into my body at a speed only the series x can achieve, held safely in master chief's arms.
And now I'm here to tell you the truth about that experience and why it's proof that it's the greatest and highest form of technology yet devised by man or God

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m thinking maybe when the inevitable mid-cycle “pro” consoles come out but I doubt 8K adoption will be anywhere near at a high enough level to make it worth while. Current gen can’t even do reliable locked 4K/30fps.

What will make 8k possible isn't just linear hardware upgrades, as I doubt even the top of the line cards from NVIDIA's 4000 series will be able to do it competently, but rather upscaling methods like TSR/DLSS/FSR getting better - which isn't out of the question because they've been improving at a frenetic pace.
AI upscaling also just gets better and better as the output resolution gets higher because the rendered resolution increases proportionally, which gives the upscaler more information to work with, so putting a game on Ultra Performance in DLSS will look much better if the output resolution is 8k versus 4k where it won't look as good because it the native resolution it renders at before upscaling will be lower. That being said, Ultra Performance/Performance still looks noticeably much worse than native 8k, so AI upscaling isn't there yet either.

The current consoles are able to use FSR, since in usual AMD fashion basically any GPU can use it, but FSR isn't in the right spot yet, and a lot of companies end up using their own AI upscaling solutions, which are a mixed bag when it comes to effectiveness. I find Sony's checkerboxing gently caress ugly for example - I also don't think the consoles as they are right now can even handle 8k upscaling, especially because FSR doesn't support as broad an amount of native resolution options as DLSS. Even if they were able to, the end result would look a lot worse so I doubt they'd opt for that.

Although, TAA was, and still is used constantly, and it makes games look like a blurry loving mess, so who knows what their rationale is.

It will take both decently more powerful hardware, and then improved upscaling for 8k to become a reality, but what systems can handle is all utterly meaningless because 8k displays aren't being adopted yet in any capacity whatsoever, and the ones that are available are stupid, prohibitively expensive right now, basically on the level of when the first "HD" displays were released back in the day and you'd pay thousands of bucks in late 90s money to buy a Sony.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

It will take both decently more powerful hardware, and then improved upscaling for 8k to become a reality, but what systems can handle is all utterly meaningless because 8k displays aren't being adopted yet in any capacity whatsoever, and the ones that are available are stupid, prohibitively expensive right now, basically on the level of when the first "HD" displays were released back in the day and you'd pay thousands of bucks in late 90s money to buy a Sony.

I don’t even know why Sony and MS bothered slapping 8K logos on the boxes when it’s guaranteed we’re getting mid-cycle hardware upgrades anyway (prob 2023). Lmao at this when people can’t even get OG hardware reliably 1.5 years in. There were basically 2 things most people wanted from this generation: higher frame rates and SSDs. SSD’s should have been standard last-gen, or at least with the Pro and One X. We got higher frame rates this gen, but only if you turn off ray-tracing and 4K which is what the current machines were built around in the first place, also an LOL.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The series x is 8k capable but hasn't been enabled via update as of yet.

(Not poo poo posting)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

The series x is 8k capable but hasn't been enabled via update as of yet.

(Not poo poo posting)

PS5 is too, on paper anyway. Supposedly VRR support is coming in an update soon, but I don’t even think my TV has the update yet.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I don’t even know why Sony and MS bothered slapping 8K logos on the boxes when it’s guaranteed we’re getting mid-cycle hardware upgrades anyway (prob 2023). Lmao at this when people can’t even get OG hardware reliably 1.5 years in. There were basically 2 things most people wanted from this generation: higher frame rates and SSDs. SSD’s should have been standard last-gen, or at least with the Pro and One X. We got higher frame rates this gen, but only if you turn off ray-tracing and 4K which is what the current machines were built around in the first place, also an LOL.

Yeah, all the consoles are in an incredibly awkward place power-wise, even the Series X only has a middling amount of games capable of 4K/60 FPS without severely compromising on something.
The worst part is that the ray tracing on consoles is just terrible and not worth turning on either, which is because they're patently incapable of handling it even at a moderate level. Looking at the reflections in AAA games using it on console always looks like pixelated poo poo. You're basically better off leaving it disabled, especially since the reflections are often all you get and you don't even get the lighting part of the deal which is what really makes raytracing shine. Metro: Exodus looks absolutely insane with everything pumped up.

A big appeal of consoles was not having to deal with this poo poo, you never felt like you were compromising on anything, you got the version of the game you got and that was it - there was a uniformity to it that made it appealing and kept you from fidgeting about whether or not your setup was giving you a suboptimal experience, but now you have to choose between something that plays like poo poo or looks like smeared vaseline because of how stark the difference between 1080p and 4K is, (which is often what the split between Performance/Quality modes is), and that makes it even worse than a PC in the end because instead of being able to make more optimal choices about what you want to sacrifice visually for better performance, you now have two extremes that never feel like the compromises are being made in the right places.

But all the marketing talk of 4k has forced developer's hands and now they HAVE to toss in those options which often aren't even really 4k, so they couch it in terms of "Quality" which usually ends up in some mutant resolution between 1440p and 2160p, often utilizing dynamic resolution scaling to account for FPS jerking all over the place.

The systems probably would have been fine if we just shot for a baseline 1440p and built games around that, but now you run into hosed up optimization issues as well because it's pretty often that the Quality and Performance options have huge discrepancies when it comes to things like frame drops, and developers have to really mush the graphical options to force it into either hitting a solid 60 at a lower resolution, or somehow force out 30 at 4k. Typically first party AAA games don't have that problem, like all Sony's major titles designed outright for that particular console like TLoU2 feel pretty good on either option, but Elden Ring is basically dogshit on either option no matter what system you have.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

PS5 is too, on paper anyway. Supposedly VRR support is coming in an update soon, but I don’t even think my TV has the update yet.

I have VRR on my LG C1 and it's been great on my PC, just no tearing whatsoever anymore, no need to use busted up implementations of VSync any longer.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like loading up a game and going bang bang shooty. It's pretty good!

I stopped paying attention to hardware specs in the PS2 era, when I started. I buy a game, I load a game, it is fun, or it isn't. The whole point of a console is to simplify playing games compared to a PC. The less I need to think the better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
when does elden ring get good. so far im just dying over and over to bullshitt gremlins in a dungeon

i was told this was a less frustrating and more fun game than their others

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

syntaxfunction posted:

I like loading up a game and going bang bang shooty. It's pretty good!

I stopped paying attention to hardware specs in the PS2 era, when I started. I buy a game, I load a game, it is fun, or it isn't. The whole point of a console is to simplify playing games compared to a PC. The less I need to think the better.

That's literally what I'm saying, they're complicating the experience.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Yeah, all the consoles are in an incredibly awkward place power-wise, even the Series X only has a middling amount of games capable of 4K/60 FPS without severely compromising on something.
The worst part is that the ray tracing on consoles is just terrible and not worth turning on either, which is because they're patently incapable of handling it even at a moderate level. Looking at the reflections in AAA games using it on console always looks like pixelated poo poo. You're basically better off leaving it disabled, especially since the reflections are often all you get and you don't even get the lighting part of the deal which is what really makes raytracing shine. Metro: Exodus looks absolutely insane with everything pumped up.

A big appeal of consoles was not having to deal with this poo poo, you never felt like you were compromising on anything, you got the version of the game you got and that was it - there was a uniformity to it that made it appealing and kept you from fidgeting about whether or not your setup was giving you a suboptimal experience, but now you have to choose between something that plays like poo poo or looks like smeared vaseline because of how stark the difference between 1080p and 4K is, (which is often what the split between Performance/Quality modes is), and that makes it even worse than a PC in the end because instead of being able to make more optimal choices about what you want to sacrifice visually for better performance, you now have two extremes that never feel like the compromises are being made in the right places.

But all the marketing talk of 4k has forced developer's hands and now they HAVE to toss in those options which often aren't even really 4k, so they couch it in terms of "Quality" which usually ends up in some mutant resolution between 1440p and 2160p, often utilizing dynamic resolution scaling to account for FPS jerking all over the place.

The systems probably would have been fine if we just shot for a baseline 1440p and built games around that, but now you run into hosed up optimization issues as well because it's pretty often that the Quality and Performance options have huge discrepancies when it comes to things like frame drops, and developers have to really mush the graphical options to force it into either hitting a solid 60 at a lower resolution, or somehow force out 30 at 4k. Typically first party AAA games don't have that problem, like all Sony's major titles designed outright for that particular console like TLoU2 feel pretty good on either option, but Elden Ring is basically dogshit on either option no matter what system you have.

I like my PS5 but the only thing so far that’s wowed me is load speeds. I love I can go from boot up to playing in under a minute. Dying in Elden Ring is literally a 5 second hiccup. Horizon Forbidden West has an option to slow down loading in case you actually want to read the game tips on the loading screens. I love that poo poo, that’s the tech we needed on these things.

But graphically? TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima looked amazing on PS4 Pro and were actually impressive at the time. I haven’t seen anything on PS5 other than Ratchet & Clank and Horizon that actually impresses.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

precision posted:

when does elden ring get good. so far im just dying over and over to bullshitt gremlins in a dungeon

If you’re having trouble in an area go somewhere else/find a good farming spot near a Grace and level Vigor.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

precision posted:

Well it is easier. You can skip around and go find find another place to play if you are stuck. You can't do that in say, dark souls 3. There are places you have to beat to progress and it's all linear. You can't just go, okay I'm done with place A it's too hard. There is no place B a lot of the time. They are considered skill checks and if you can't beat it you are supposed to level up more or practice or find a guide online with tips.

Elden ring you just summon a horse and find a new area.

Basically... Uhh.. get gud or over level for the area you're in.

(Edit) I quoted the wrong person, updated the quote

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 4, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Elden Ring is only hard at the beginning and then it gets really easy except for random areas that will suddenly be hard again and it won't be like a major area it'll be a random dungeon in the middle of nowhere that sucks.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i never got into any of the souls games before, but i've beaten every boss (or at least every major boss) in elden ring, and can say with absolute earnestness that no fight in elden ring is harder than the inner agent 3 fight in the splatoon 2 octo expansion :colbert:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the xbox is fun to play videogames on (:

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
You got a job to buy a xbox to unwind from your job? sus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wendigee posted:

Well it is easier. You can skip around and go find find another place to play if you are stuck. You can't do that in say, dark souls 3. There are places you have to beat to progress and it's all linear. You can't just go, okay I'm done with place A it's too hard. There is no place B a lot of the time. They are considered skill checks and if you can't beat it you are supposed to level up more or practice or find a guide online with tips.

Elden ring you just summon a horse and find a new area.

Basically... Uhh.. get gud or over level for the area you're in.

(Edit) I quoted the wrong person, updated the quote

yeah no i get that but here's the thing

ive been playing like 4 hours and i dont have a horse?

there's a dungeon with gremlins that i can't finish, then there's a fort with a bunch of dudes that i can mostly kill with magic

i got the map

but i can't level up or find any new equipment and everywhere i can go kills me... and i have no horse :confused:

did i miss somethign obvious

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

precision posted:

there's a dungeon with gremlins that i can't finish, then there's a fort with a bunch of dudes that i can mostly kill with magic

i got the map

but i can't level up or find any new equipment and everywhere i can go kills me... and i have no horse :confused:

u need to bomb the wall with a crack in it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

precision posted:

i got the map

Go outside and touch 3 Graces and a chick shows up who lets you level.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Dont shoot powerups!!!!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

they aren't all gonna be winners :flip:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 4, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

and yet here you are showing off the forums account you paid $10 for

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

im never going higher than 1080 who the hell needs all those extra pixels they just make movies look shittier

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

precision posted:

i got the map

What LSBB said. Also if you’re at the fort I think you’re at there’s a Grace right outside the gate. You can skip sneaking through the camp nearby by running around it to the left and beelining to the Grace. You just need to have touched three different Graces for the maiden to show up so you can level. Don’t bother with the cave with the gremlins yet.

Jows
May 8, 2002

precision posted:

i started doing Uber a little as a side histle and made three hundo in 2 days so i bought a xbox series s

too bad u spent 4 hundo on gas to get that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy