Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one of the things they add in the second season has to be the wing or wing zero, right? i imagine theyll stick to a format of one headliner gundam and then two deeper cuts, so my guess is the first batch of new adds will be the wing/wing zero, an ibo grunt, and then maybe an 00 grunt, or one of the less prominent gundams from 00 like the arche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

collab with code geass, put suzakus mech in and have it work like lucio

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, im not saying overwatch is dead or anything, but i feel like a lot of the casual audience ow1 caught is just gone nowadays. they balanced the game around competitive, and the kind of player whos interested in a wide array of characters with different personalities has stuff like genshin impact which is basically a single player game and also has an actual story to put those characters in, or other single player gacha games. even in terms of fps's apex is managing more actual character development and such and is popular internationally.

blizzard was never able to keep overwatch lore remotely consistent and barely put out story content for the game, and ow2 does have a single player/co-op mode but who knows how supported it will be longterm. ow2 will probably still do well but it feels like they've bled basically everyone they could for a variety of reasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Holy poo poo I just googled Gouf Custom and I was not expecting that minigun, I thought Ramba Ral's Gouf was a custom model lmao
if you want to get into the weeds here it sort of is, the gouf ramba uses is basically a prototype, ramba's use of it was a field test. it was shelved in favor of the dom and then developed into the gouf custom from 08th ms team as a suit for exclusively earthside, urban combat use.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Gundam realistically depicts the MIC as a bunch of money-grubbing greedy vultures but unfortunately depicts their pet projects as unbelievably badass mechs instead of a dumbass plane that gets shot down by rain clouds or an infantry transport with a passenger capacity of four dudes
to be fair you get the latter with poo poo like the zakrello. in the back half of 0079 zeon gets a real obsession with wunderwaffe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

i hope they reverse course on the monetization in s2 or something, this game is real good but that'll definitely kill it dead. it might be able to get overwatch/tf2 refugees and maintain a stable playerbase (especially since streamers seem to have picked it up, at least for now) but not if every new player runs into this bullshit 30 minutes into launching the game, and especially not once every twitch chat streaming the game is full of commenters complaining about it
it really is bizarre, especially with the rate they're planning to add suits. i get wanting people to fork out cash, but even just a pittance of funbux per match would go a long way. the extremely limited missions, too. bamco's been on a real downward trend with monetization, but this is egregious even for them.

in-game text chat is also basically unusable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love eypon in gundam versus because its entire gameplan is to just fly straight at people and do a glitchy boost cancel combo that kills them in two seconds flat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

So who's up for another five years of being gaslit and told you're bad for not countering the sniper?
youre bad for not countering the sniper

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boxman posted:

I don't know the universe incredibly well, are there any mobile suits that, like, drastically gently caress with scale? Obviously the Sazabi is beefier than the Pale Rider but I don't feel like there's really a significant difference in scale.

Toss Devil Gundam's final form in there is what I'm saying. Or, didn't the Ein Graze tower over Barbatos?

I suppose enough of the maps have small enclosed hallways that its probably not feasible.

the gundam versus games stick a bit closer to scale and heres the f91 next to a zaku (its a SEED zaku hence the slightly different design)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in general most of the AUs stay around roughly the same scale as each other (i believe the g gundam suits are noticeably smaller than the other suits, presumably because that series was less about scale and more about martial arts), but the UC universe is defined by a weapons race where suits get progressively huger and more armor-laden until they hit a breaking point around Victory where suits are so powerful that you die in one hit no matter how much armor you pile on, so mobile suit development just becomes about how small and nimble you can make something while still making it capable of weapons output, hence the smaller suits seen in F91 and Crossbone.

Presumably this game futzes with scale so that bigger suits like the Sazabi and Turn-A aren't even easier sniping targets. (Heck, the Sazabi is so wide that you can still get pretty easy bodyshots on it)

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 28, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

console versions of the gundam versus series are basically a version or two behind the arcade versions and a new arcade version came out so hopefully we should get a new console game soon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Versus has an incredibly high skill floor and there's a handful of people who play it and they've all been playing since the aughts. You'll be swan diving into a woodchipper without a friend who can coach you.
honestly versus isnt too bad to get a grip on its just the only people still playing mbon are killers. but when it was more active it wasnt too hard to get going with just a few youtube tutorials and a bit of practice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people like playing snipers, sniper has reasonable enough drawbacks, who cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuebot posted:

What are the drawbacks?
its only close range defense is a peashooter on a like 14 second cooldown in a game where theres multiple suits that can literally fly into the skybox or just leap on top of them and melee them. the map design also gives them very few safe sniping positions.

apostateCourier posted:

...You didn't read a word of the previous post, did you?
how is that post any different from guntank having literal autoaim tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GodFish posted:

the guntank doesn't delete people with a single shot?
it also can actually survive in close range confrontations against someone who can dodge and has an ult that actually does something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a guntank that knows how to flank and pick its spots can take over a game just as hard as a good sniper its just that since the guntank is closer to you it feels like theres more counterplay, even though the amount of counterplay is about the same, its just the counterplay to the guntank is more reflex and game-skill oriented while the counter to the sniper is more game knowledge oriented. to me this isnt a meaningful distinction in terms of game feel or anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if youre getting owned by a sniper thats entirely on you for not, like looking around sometimes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Endorph it’s close range defense is scoped headshots

It’s always scoped headshots
sidestep bitch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf unicorn is definitely in the game because of popularity. exia and barbatos too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and it doesnt get talked about much but its movement makes it drift way more which you can abuse to be really hard to hit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

got bored so heres a quick breakdown of suit representation so far

Gundam 0079: RX-78 Gundam, MS-06 Zaku II RGM-79 GM, RX-75 Guntank

Zeta Gundam: RMS-108 Marasai, NRX-044 Asshimar

Gundam Side Story: Missing Link: RX-80PR Pale Rider

War in the Pocket: RGM-79SP GM Sniper II

Char's Counterattack: MSN-04 Sazabi

Gundam Unicorn: RX-0 Gundam Unicorn

Gundam SEED Destiny: ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper

Turn-A Gundam: ∀99 ∀ Gundam, G-838 Mahiroo

Ironblooded Orphans: ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos

00 Gundam: GN-001 Gundam Exia

Weird Outlier: The Melee Zaku first appeared exclusively in the toyline as Dozle Zabi's Custom Zaku II, however royal guard zakus with extremely similar appearances appear as generic grunts in Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower. They had duller yellows, like the one in this game, but they also lacked the extra spikes that Dozle's had and which the one in this game has. The conclusion is that this game's melee Zaku seems to be a mishmash of Dozle's Zaku and the Royal Guard Zakus, so I'm not sure which to label it as or if that counts as Thunderbolt representation.

Mainline gundams unrepresented: ZZ Gundam, Victory Gundam, G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Gundam AGE, Reconguista in G, Witch from Mercury
Notable spinoffs/movies/OVAs unrepresented: 08th MS Team, 0083 Stardust Memory, Gundam F91, Gundam Crossbone, Blue Destiny, Gundam SEED Astray, Gundam SEED Stargazer, Narrative, Hathaway's Flash, any of the Build Fighters/Build Divers line

funfact: Turn-A is the only non UC thing to have more than one suit in the game. And if you wanna count it as UC then literally no non-UC thing has more than one rep.

Conclusion: i want the dragon mech from AGE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

Oh, the Marasai is noted as being specifically the version seen in Unicorn. That's the work where it's depicted using a stun grappling hook. Gundam wiki says both the Fedayeen Rifle and the Sea Serpent hook were probably salvaged from Hambrabis.

The Methuss does count as a Zeta suit, however.
oh, you're right, the in-game description has the [UC] tag and they mention it being used by the zeon remnants. I guess it's from the attack on Torrington.

When will they add the Zogok?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the skins arent the problem ,its the ability to get new characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really get nerfing zaku ii melee's rightclick but its ult got dumpstered which fair enough

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should have given guntank more ammo somehow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway id rather the devs be cautious with balance changes then veer willdy between making stuff over and underpowered

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jump, hover, shoot down. grats barbatos has no response.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kwolok posted:

They aren't buffing mahiroos milquetoast primary weapon because people who have rainman level memorization of map geometry have figured out weird angles to I guess bombard players with unexpected grenades. If that ain't only balancing for high level I don't know what is.
'the grenade is a bit hard to get used to but strong. we buffed the other parts of his kit to make him feel stronger in casual play without making him too strong in top level play.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they had a game that people were actually praising as better than ow2 and they gave it basically no support whatsoever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like on the list of problems that killed this game barbatos and sniper would be somewhere around position 533

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

god this sucks because the game was fun but they just gave it terrible monetization and refused to fix anything

felt like they had no idea how to handle a live service shooter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

They never even got to add Aerial

there will apparently still be two new suits added so look forward to aerial being added right when the game dies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

I doubt we will ever find out the full details, but I wonder how the licensing and what suits they're allowed to use works out. It certainly doesn't seem like there was any mandate to go with the big popular suits, so I wonder if it was a question of permission or they genuinely did want to go with more unconventional picks (which I was a fan of, personally).
i mean the game's by bamco who has full access to the gundam IP for games, there's no reason licensing would be an issue outside of a very very few edgecases like advance of zeta

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

monetization was one of the main things about ow2 people were mad about so having it even worse was a nonstarter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

There’s no Chibodee so of course it died

they added chibodee to gundam versus so god willing we get a pc port of that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lmao this game really isnt getting aerial

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it wouldnt have but its very funny

Endorph