Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I played my first game last night and while I wanted to grab Sazabi because that's my style I let everyone else pick since I had no experience and ended up picking Methuss and it was a good time.

Bummed Marasai is a suit you gotta unlock because he's who I really want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

They are absolutely not going to remove a whole-rear end character from this game.

Of course not but it's a mistake these games keep making.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Getting used to the hook/stab combo was pretty weird because you end up stabbing past your target if you do it how it works in say OW. Gotta backpedal a bit as you reel em in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Every shooter should have Cruelty Squad's hold right mouse button and pull down to reload.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only thing that annoys me about melee Zaku is the smoke thing because I'm always tossing my hook right at that moment. I've never really had much of an issue with any Barbatos I've come across but it could just be running Marasai.

Kinda sucks the objectively inferior OW2 dropped and sapped the playerbase but I did get a few matches last night that had mostly the same people and they were super close and fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kanos posted:

Marasai is literally the tailor-made hard counter to melee suits, so yeah that's probably coloring your perceptions.

It's a lot of fun plucking them out of the air.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sniper pickers should be banned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sniper pickers really are the scum of the earth and/or space.

Wish dash was double tapping a direction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

A sniper shot down a Guntank and I thought I was safe to stand behind him to pick him up, since I was taking up less space

He shot between the cannons to headshot me

lol

I didn't realize for a few matches that not only did they make Blizzard's mistake of putting a sniper into a mostly close to medium range game but they also made the mistake of giving him a movement ability to get to a perch or escape. At least it's nowhere near as bad as a personal hookshot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's dumb I can't hook people out of their ults.

dogstile posted:

Years of overwatch has taught me that most people really don't understand how dumb snipers are until they see them played at top level where sniper players are regularly doming the people that are diving them.

And overwatch was actually slightly better on diving snipers, because of the charge.

I've only had maybe one or two snipers that were consistent at headshotting for it to take over a game but just body shots softening people up for easy clean up is annoying enough.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 11, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Speaking of Dunmuir's videos, are they legit for lowish level play?

I'm still a feeder when I get mad about dying and feel like I have no way of motivating the team to balance playing the objective and not feeding themselves too, so I also lemming rush like everyone else into the fire.

Like I'd love to know how to be able to read opposing team mistakes to push/flank (or if it's obvious, learn to recognize it faster) but the game already moves so fast that I can sometimes still struggle with my own controls or the terrain, under duress.

There's not much you can do about your teammates not waiting for respawns or grouping up to push - outside of stacking with friends I'm the only person I've seen in my games waiting on respawns or to group up instead of trickling in one by one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Domination is the best mode wth. Pretty much the only matches my stack have ever won are on it.

I had no clue there was an "he's/she's/they're on fire" mechanic in this game since I guess people had only barely had it on their portraits on the scoreboard so I didn't notice before. Stack mate and I were both fully "on fire" and we still ended up losing somehow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like I should know this by now but I can't confirm it in the training range for some reason. When you kill a guy and get that clashing metal sound, is that 1) any time you contribute to a kill, 2) any time you hit the final blow, 3) any time you get a crit kill, 4) something else?

Want to say it's landing the final blow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah Exia is the most mobile suit and it's smaller so more of a pain than Zakus. Exia is the suit I dread most playing against even when I'm running Marasai.

GM's shield bash should stun like the hated Brigitte. The knockback isn't bad but then these fuckers just dash away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man I got the MVP animation where it shows Zaku but then GM bashes him out of the way but my Nvidia capture didn't work for some reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I still don't have the MVP achievement because every time I do really good, there's always someone else who does better. I can spend the whole match in evo time and get all the gold medals on my team, but then the enemy pale rider gets it anyway :shepface:

It was my first MVP since switching to GM and it was especially great because two stackmates each play one of the Zakus and one of them almost always gets it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last night on Missile Base we barely capped both points within the time limit and the enemy team rolled over us so we had a minute and change in bonus and they had almost 7 minutes. I figured it's going to be a quick loss since we could only capture the first point in the time limit but we held them off from capturing any of the second point to pull out the draw. Felt better than any win I've had and I had two MVP games earlier in the day.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tatsuta Age posted:

dealing with the melee units when played well kinda sucks, especially Barbatos

Yeah lost two games last night where we were the better team absent their Barbatos and it's painful to lose that way. Even getting pinned on Harbor because the enemy sniper could hit shots and ours couldn't didn't feel as bad. I was holding my own pretty well as GM but there were so many times where I was one shot off finishing him before he could get me.

Kwolok posted:

Melee has made me stop playing. Honestly its cool in terms of gundam but an absolute mess in terms of balance. The game can't survive.

They could nerf him again. That's a possibility. I am curious if the balance changes will be stuff that straightforwardly should be done or if it's going to be all over the place.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 19, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

I mostly have a problem with barb when it gets me in situations where it really feels wrong, like when it does the downward strike and kills me when I am on a ledge and remain above its head the whole time, or the charged strike hits despite me dashing way to the side and behind it (whereas when I'm the barbatos, I can I have clipping into their leg and they just stand there and murder me)

Netcode feels like rear end, and I'm on a wire

Yeah this is a big part of the frustration for me - dodging his poo poo and still getting stunned because of the delay. I've died a whole bunch of times when I've escaped around a corner when I shouldn't still be getting hit by lasers which is a pain but doesn't feel anywhere near as bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm guessing they don't let you keep the equivalent coins you spent to unlock a character if you buy the all characters/legendary skins pack.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gundam is a better game than Overwatch and a lot of the gameplay mistakes are things they cribbed from OW. The map aesthetics are bland and is something that made me not interested in the game during the network test period since you mostly feel like you're human sized but the actual design of the maps is better and map design was always OW's biggest weakness. I can't think of a single change OW made over the years that didn't make the game worse so hopefully Bandai doesn't repeat that mistake.

For balance changes that haven't been mentioned I'd say increasing the hitbox of Sazabi's tomahawk should be in there.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 21, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

"We acknowledge that melee units are a problem which is why we are not touching the worst one."

Nerfing Marasai but not touching barb is so funny.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also regardless what the fixes are balancing solely around esports/"high level" play is always a mistake imo, though I have no real thoughts on any changes beyond seeing how they're thinking

It's so dumb and every game does it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

With OW2 cratering the PC player base not having crossplay is insane.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

pitting kb+m players against controller players in a shooter presents some difficult and unique problems

but also yeah idk what their post-ow2 plan was

Pretty much every online shooter has it now so I just assumed it'd be happening.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Runa posted:

Apex has enough autoaim for gamepads, PC or console, that it's functionally punishing players for playing kb+m.

I think this is the norm now because there's a Warzone player who puts together compilations of him killing streamers and so many comment on him being KBM. It's lame because KBM is the proper FPS controls but if some people get an advantage I'll take it for a bigger pool of players.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Huh I shoulda been picking Sazabi this whole time huh. Got two MVPs in a row and shoulda had three.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah Gundam Gundam's rifle has the worst hipfire of any of the guns you can ADS with I'm pretty sure.

chumbler posted:

Every time I hop on Turn A because it's a double or triple daily I'm disappointed by it. I'm certainly no sharpshooter generally, but when the only thing the suit does is gun (and not even a particularly great one at that) and sometimes a powerful ult, it's really apparent that I need something that has any utility at all.

smdh forgetting his best move.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I ran into an unusual amount of GM players scoring an unusual amount of G-Maneuvers during my matches last night. I'm not saying anyone is cheating, but is there some new legit strategy or possibly an exploit that's got popular with him? Usually when I see a bunch of people doing the same thing in an online game in a short span, it's a streamer's doing.

Like Kild said you farm ult pretty fast with det pack - either through people being dumb or good placement. The best I've ever done from setting it at the enemy door is like 10 percent but tossing it behind enemies in corridors usually ticks up your G charge quite a bit. He can also 1v1 a good chunk of the cast so you can farm it up clicking heads. I don't know if any streamer with a sizable viewership plays this they all went to OW2 when that dropped and the few people that make content for this game on YouTube mostly play the flashier suits from what I get recommended.

edit: drat I say that and this gets posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cc_saD_2Lo

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 31, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Endorph posted:

they had a game that people were actually praising as better than ow2 and they gave it basically no support whatsoever

poo poo it's better than OW was in its prime. Could've had a cash cow on their hands. I'm so into the game that despite not being an anime guy I bought and built a GM gunpla maybe that's where they thought the money was going to come from.

I haven't had that many leaver/disconnect problems in my time playing (though more than there should be) but I do miss the days of dedicated servers instead of having to deal with matchmaking whenever a leaver does show up. 24/7 flak fort baby.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 12, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It'd be nice if you could tick a box next to casual queue where you won't mind joining games to replace people who leave. I do enjoy the game and hope it doesn't die. They'll never do it and it doesn't work due to no boosters, but I'd probably play overwatch again if they put in a dash system.

Since there's no crossplay I think it's dead as console release won't boost the playerbase for us. It was at 1000 primetime on a Saturday. Really bums me out because it's the one online game I really fell in love with and I wasn't even looking at it until after release because like I said I'm not an anime guy so wasn't into Gundam as a franchise.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 13, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

I've seen some wild comebacks from seemingly hopeless gamestates.

My favorite game was a draw we had where the enemy team had like 7 minutes to cap the final point in OT since they rolled us first time around.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The bad part about the stomping is because the playerbase is so low and you're stacking at all you keep coming up against the same enemy stack if you don't wait a bit before queueing again. Even when the playerbase was several times higher we once came against the same (neither full) stack three or four times in a row.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was a combination of no marketing (I wouldn't have heard of it absent discord friends), Overwatch 2 coming out right after its release, poor monetization, no reconnection (which I thought was utterly insane but now found out the new COD lacks as well), and GM sniper/Barbatos I'd say mostly in that order. Really sucks because I rarely get hooked on a game nowadays but I loved it despite not being a Gundam guy at all. They fixed my biggest problem with OW which is that a shooter is a lot more fun when everyone is a shooter. Though it is funny that OW had the same issue where the game shouldn't have had snipers but they had them anyway because it's a thing FPSes have.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think having Melee Zaku in would've been fine even with his (at the time) busted ult - the big problems were Barbatos and Sniper. I don't know if it would've saved the game since OW2 came along and ate up presumably most of the playerbase and streamers/audience. It's a shame I loved the game a lot and it's a lot better than OW even with its myriad of problems.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think I ended up maining GM because pretty much all you do is frontline and click heads (while spot healing).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should add Leo looks cooler than most of the suits too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a shame how badly they fumbled this because it was a better game than Overwatch (and I played a stupid amount of OW in its prime) and was way way better than OW2 looked. Almost impressive how badly they managed to hosed it up with how good the actual gameplay was.

They did get a bunch of money out of me since I bought like six gunpla when I had no interest in it before becoming a GM main.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pretty much. Paladins used to have seperate pad/mkb queues for ranked but I don't think they do anymore because like..yeah who cares. Might be the same for COD and Apex too? Like I think if the company who is entirely bankrolled by the state of Georgia and just makes whatever games the CEO likes at the time can do it right there's no excuse for Bamco

COD and Apex have made aim assist so broken that top KBM players are switching to controller it's sad to see.

The problem with the other Gundam games for me is they aren't FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kanos posted:

The thing that ultimately drove me off was that the round format sucked poo poo. Every game took a loving age!

Yeah it was a combination of the two bad suits scaring off new players, monetization, and the round format. A shame they'd made a better game than OW and OW2 and managed to fumble it.