Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Weird though it might sound, it’s sometimes served in pints in UK pubs and restaurants (in a pint glass, with a long fork and toast points). One doesn’t fill much of a gap, so maybe two pints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also re: the irony thing. In the UK at least, dining out was a relatively rare experience until the 70’s. A bunch of factors led to a big upsurge in demand for affordable dining, a gap readily filled by combination pub/steakhouses like Berni Inns, Schooner Inns, and Harvester Restaurants. The most recognisable meal, widely parodied at the time, was a prawn cocktail, steak and chips and a black forest gateau. Even today pretty much everyone over the age of forty would understand that if they came to my house for dinner and I served them that meal, I would be attempting to add a humorous or ironic component to an otherwise perfectly serviceable menu.

e: i have actually done this and it’s great

ee: ha, it even has its own wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn_cocktail,_steak_and_Black_Forest_gateau

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 6, 2022