Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Correct answer, thread complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internaut! posted:

Like Jimmy the Greek pointing out that African-Americans were bred for centuries to be big and strong, and this is why the NFL is full of African-Americans descended from slaves, while there's been like 3 Africans ever in the league not descended from African-American slaves? I'm not sure what social blowback people would face for this, but why should they? Unpalatable truths remain truths after all.

Did you really pull a loving :biotruths:?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah they are being dealt with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ram dass in hell posted:

I mean realistically the current title always meant this, lol. It's not a debate with two reasonable sides, it's an oppressed group trying to fuckin' live and harassment from freaks who are obsessed with other people's genitals and/or who thrive on the attention and endorphins they get from taking their own personal issues out on a class of people a lot of people in society feel they have a green light to verbally bully, physically assault, and so on. There's no middle ground and there's no way to convince me that the transphobes have a point.

This is my view as well. I do not feel like there's a reasonable way to 'debate' here, as there's only one real acceptable answer: Let trans people be who they are, and let them play as who they are.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

It is a competition. Your PT score adds to your promotion points. More promotions points means you get promoted ahead of other people competing for the same promotion. If you have 2 people who are otherwise equal in schools and performance and one has a higher score on the PT test, they are going to get promoted first.

It does not add to your promotion points, at least not in the USAF. If you pass your Physical Fitness Test, you pass. That's it. Sometimes they give you little rewards for getting a particularly high score like a day off or something, but as long as you pass the DOD doesn't give a gently caress. Now, if you fail your PFT, they will prevent you from promoting if you are eligible for it.

The PFT is just a checkbox.

Source: Me, an Ex-USAF veteran.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

thehandtruck posted:

Yeah. If anyone actually cared about any sports at all a solution could be to create divisions based on factors such as bone-density etc, if that's what chuds keep complaining about. Having a gender divide has always felt weird to me, and sometimes it exists in stuff like Chess which is pretty funny. Yet another solution is no divisions whatsoever, just one huge pool of participants.

But honestly the solutions are silly because nobody actually cares about any of this, myself included. It's just more of the outrage machine and the opinion machine. Both tools of oppression and control. Nearly identical situation as bathroom outrage but even less relatable.

Its the same, tired story: Nearly all gender divisions in sports is about "We can't have A GIRL showing up our top male athletes/chess players/shooters/etc."

Its almost entirely misogyny wrapped up in statistical gamesmanship about "Natural advantages"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

That's not really true. For skill sports, I'm sure there's a bunch of additional nonsense. In many sports elite women just straight-up can not compete for the podium with elite men, so the gender division provides a competitive field. The women's world record marathon is 2:14:04, and that time was 23nd overall in the race in which it was set.

Maybe for some fields, but chess? And to be fair: that doesn't mean women should not be allowed to compete on the level, the idea that the gender boundaries are requirements rather than suggestions makes it clear its about more than leveling the playing field.

If women wish to compete in those fields, they should be allowed to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Chamber posted:

In all sports? What about combat sports? Should a heavyweight woman be allowed to compete against say a heavyweight man in UFC? Or boxing?

Nice on paper that women should be allowed to compete where they want but I don't think this works for certain sports that involve combat or contact. But yes in other sports sure, certain sports like the 100m etc they'd never qualify but they should be able to attempt with the men.

If they want to: Let them! Are you seriously arguing that the decision should be made for them because "A man might beat up a woman"?

This reeks of "That weak woman might get beat up by a strong man" and that's straight up misogyny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Chamber posted:

If you want to put the strongest world heavyweight man, say 6'7 Tyson Fury against a female boxer, if you can find one that is similar weight and height and he's allowed to punch her with all of his incredible strength I'm sure that will go well and her punches and strength will be at all equal to his (they won't) . It just doesn't work. It's quite probable a 5 ft something male boxer will punch an awful lot harder than a 6 ft something female boxer, how do you account for this? The whole point of combat sports organised into gender divisions is that roughly a 6ft tall male boxer will be more or less equal in strength to a similar boxer of his height and weight allowing the other boxer to not get absolutely destroyed and possibly given brain damage just like if Tyson fury went up against a 5ft5 male boxer who was likely half his weight also.

But yes that's just misogony...

Who decides that? The competitor or the competition? If a trans or female competitor decides they wish to try their hand, why are we to stop them? You openly compete in a sport where bodily harm is possible, pretending that were trying to prevent such by placing artificial barriers isn't helpful.

Its placing some air of 'responsibility' in a sport that already breeds and flourishes in irresponsibility. Frankly, I don't think Combat sports are legit sports anyways, but I also don't think its their right to create some crappy gender boundaries.

And don't pretend there isn't some misogyny involved in this. I am 100% willing to bet you ask any of these guys if they would fight against a non-gendered or opposite gendered player, we'd get quite an earful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just Chamber posted:

I can't believe we're having this debate seeing as there is a matter of people's safety involved for one but sure yes the completion decides it, years of you know, having fighters pitted against each other for century's and probably discovering that it's really not a match if you pit a 5'6 guy against a 6'5 guy and more than likely the 6'5 guy doesn't want to face an opponent he not only can likely beat with one hand behind his back, but also will very likely caused long term serious harm if he went full out which is the whole point of competition,you go your hardest to win.

Or would you advocate that it's fair that a person with dwarfism should if they want be allowed to fight in a heavyweight ufc fight against someone who's 6ft 5 and 115kg if they like even if there's a high chance that if this ufc fighter doesn't hold back they'd probably be killed? Does the crowd want to see someone get brain damage? Does the fighter want to give that to them? No. So these rules exist for a good reason.

And yes they compete in a sport where bodily harm is possible. But the rules with gender, and body weight divisions are put in place to protect those in the ring as much as possible. This doesn't always work but on the whole it's very successful on stopping people getting life long injuries or dying.

Body weight? Sure, that makes some sense.

Gender? Bullshit. And again, I don't think highly of UFC / Combat sports anyways, but the idea that two equally bodyweighted different gendered fighters need to be protected from one another I can absolutely guarantee is founded in misogyny and optics rather than any sort of scientific method to 'protect' them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gonna disagree with both of you, that's straight up :biotruths:. If we're going to say "Well in this case biotruths are okay" then why is it unacceptable to be used as an attack against trans people?

Why do we draw the line at saying biotruths are okay in sports? I think its unacceptable everywhere, but I'll drop it for now.