Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Internaut! posted:

Like Jimmy the Greek pointing out that African-Americans were bred for centuries to be big and strong, and this is why the NFL is full of African-Americans descended from slaves, while there's been like 3 Africans ever in the league not descended from African-American slaves? I'm not sure what social blowback people would face for this, but why should they? Unpalatable truths remain truths after all.

This is absolutely not true for one thing.

As for your other point, ignoring everything else nobody seems to demand special rules and regulations when a cisgendered individual is absolutely dominant in a sport. Nobody with any credibility suggested excluding Tiger Woods or the Williams sisters from competitions because they were too good.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

Literally "african slaves bred to be fleet of foot so they're good at sports" out of nowhere to justify transphobia in 2022. Neat!

It's loving embarrassing. Like c'mon, find some newer material at least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

It sure is odd how with all these "natural advantages" black don't dominate the sports wealthy people people play, with only a few notable exceptions.

I mean I would be perfectly happy to see the NFL slap restrictions on Tom Brady.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't imagine even twenty years from now there will be so many transgender athletes as to make up a commanding presence in any pro sport, regardless of any supposed "advantages" they have. For all the media firestorms over this issue it really involves a very small number of people, to the point where any attempt at trying to study things statistically could end up drowned out by background noise (e.g. maybe one trans athlete amassed a huge winning record in a local division with five people, four of whom suck). And again even things like being taller might give an advantage but it's hardly fair to apply a restriction to a transgender athlete for being taller than their peers and not, say, Manute Bol (please ignore the fact that Manute Bol is not only retired from basketball but also dead).

I say just let 'em play.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

some plague rats posted:

What would this "reevaluation" look like to you?

It'll look like nothing because the conditions he'd laid out won't ever happen. In twenty years no matter how many trans athletes there are in professional/amateur sports their individual performance will be indistinguishable from cis athletes. Even if any of them have some abstruse theoretical advantage over their cis counterparts it won't be detectable against all the various background factors that influence athletic development.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

How are u posted:

Would it look like anything to you? If, some period of time down the line, assuming we continue with our static Men's and Women's sports, the vasty majority of athletes in women's sports were trans, would that be something worth taking a look at in your opinion?

Only if trans athletes demonstrate statistically-consistent superior performance compared to their cisgender peers. This will almost certainly not happen for reasons I already laid out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Squinty posted:

I was specifically thinking of a stat I remembered that said something like 17% of 7-foot American men end up playing in the NBA (from here, but the article is old and the sources are gone so I can't verify its accuracy). I think there's a chance that raw height alone, even ignoring all other background factors, might be enough for transwomen to have a significant advantage in sports like basketball and volleyball. For most other sports I think you're correct.

How many 7-foot+ transgender athletes do you think there are in America? Personally I doubt there are enough to fill out one basketball team.

The very very Republican governor of Utah vetoed a bill about this issue because IIRC the total number of transgender high school athletes in Utah that the law would effect was four. 4. One less than half of ten.

some plague rats posted:

I mean, yeah. Obviously. But if we're taking up residence in the realm of the hypothetical I'm curious what kind of scheme he was imagining- what metrics do we use, what new divisions, etc. It can be instructive, even if only in the sense that it's a fun glimpse into what kind of poo poo society is going to try on us next :smith:

If they're actually concerned about this issue on the grounds they claim they're concerned about, then they might be persuaded by statistics. If they're just transphobic bigots it's good to have proof so they can be ignored in future.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Squinty posted:

The average WNBA player is 7 inches shorter than the average NBA player, so I guess the equivalent of a 7 footer in the WNBA would be somewhere around 6'5"?

OK then, how many 6'5"ish transgender athletes do you think exist? And how many of them want to play basketball? How many of the basketball players are good enough to make it into college sports, let alone a WNBA team? Assuming there are any left at this point, how many got there because of supposed natural advantage?

You see the point here, right? We're talking about a vanishingly small number of hypothetical athletes. To be blunt and possibly offesnive, unless a LeBron James-level player suddenly announced they were transgender and wished to play in the WBNA from now on and before beginning the appropriate hormone treatments it would be impossible to tell if a specific person had gained any advantage from growing up as the gender they didn't truly identify as.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 7, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aginor posted:

If you competing with a 6 foot 4 pre-transitioner in the womans sport would you not be pissed if you spent your life training for it and had no shot?

Why wouldn't this also apply to naturally huge athletes who are not transgender, like Yao Ming or Manute Bol? Do we restrict them too?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pollyanna posted:

Not only is this rear end in a top hat a bigot and there’s been a big failure in policy if the mods let them continue posting, they’re also weirdly obsessed with competitive StarCraft 2 and keep bringing it up and I think that almost skeeves me out the most.

I think they might actually just be someone trying really hard to troll and just sucking at it. Not that they couldn't be a bigot too, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Colonel Cool posted:

I think refusing to even entertain the notion until it's conclusively proven beyond a shadow of a doubt is one of the things giving fuel to the right's horrific and pointless bigotry.

It doesn't. It really doesn't.