Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
From what I've read there's no competitive advantage for a transwoman who began HRT before hitting puberty, so I don't see any reason why they should be barred from competition. But testosterone has a huge influence on skeletal growth throughout puberty, which certainly gives an advantage in some sports - things like height in basketball and volleyball, arm length/reach in combat sports, hand/foot size in swimming, etc. And whether or not those are "unfair" advantages seems entirely subjective to me? I don't think there's a simple one-size-fits-all answer for those cases. Personally, I'd lean towards allowing transwomen to compete, and then in 20 years if every center in the WNBA and every middle blocker at the Olympics is transgender, maybe then you reevaluate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Transgender athletes have been allowed in all of these sports for years or decades. The Olympics in particular has never had a transgender athlete medal that I'm aware of and they've allowed it for nearly 20 years.

If you're concerned that those things might be a specific advantage for trans people, feel free to provide data to support that argument.

Do I need data to support the argument that tall people are better at basketball?

I think the fact that there have been very few successful trans athletes points to the reality that there are still massive social and structural barriers preventing them from engaging in sport, regardless of what the IOC's or anyone else's rules say. Being allowed to compete in the Olympics doesn't mean much in most sports if you aren't allowed to compete in grade school.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It'll look like nothing because the conditions he'd laid out won't ever happen. In twenty years no matter how many trans athletes there are in professional/amateur sports their individual performance will be indistinguishable from cis athletes. Even if any of them have some abstruse theoretical advantage over their cis counterparts it won't be detectable against all the various background factors that influence athletic development.

I was specifically thinking of a stat I remembered that said something like 17% of 7-foot American men end up playing in the NBA (from here, but the article is old and the sources are gone so I can't verify its accuracy). I think there's a chance that raw height alone, even ignoring all other background factors, might be enough for transwomen to have a significant advantage in sports like basketball and volleyball. For most other sports I think you're correct.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How many 7-foot+ transmen do you think there are in America? Personally I doubt there are enough to fill out one basketball team.

The very very Republican governor of Utah vetoed a bill about this issue because IIRC the total number of transgender high school athletes in Utah was four. 4. One less than half of ten.

The average WNBA player is 7 inches shorter than the average NBA player, so I guess the equivalent of a 7 footer in the WNBA would be somewhere around 6'5"?