Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A big flaming stink posted:

the fact that trans femme athletes do not finish overwhelmingly at the very top of their sports is enough proof to know that talk about "unfair advantages" is complete bunk.

Your average cis woman tends to have a higher testosterone level, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm trans and on estrogen. Anecdotes are not data, but my physical strength is totally hosed to the point that a bag containing two moderately large and one small laptops is maybe my carrying limit.

I also engage in a sport that's not reliant on muscle strength, but I don't have the time and resources to do it often. As a result I almost always place in the lower 10% of scores.

I also don't tell anyone there I'm trans because of the attitudes being put forward by some of the posters here. There's no way at all it could affect my performance, but it's a bloody scary experience trying to exist and participate in spaces that don't affirm you've got a right to exist and where many people express opinions that could very easily lead to all this.

Trans people are their gender. Nobody is going to make any changes to their presentation (even just how they outwardly identify) for sport. People who aren't trans and go on the wrong hormones experience the dysphoria that trans people feel - such as an HRT doctor who was microdosing estrogen for better skin and overshot the target once. And especially Alan Turing.

People in high level sports are, by definition, not representative of average people. And even professional athletes who transition don't go on to dominate their sports. Especially in combat sports, as has been pointed out. This is a complete non issue, and infinitely so when it's targeted at kids.

The only possible harm being done is in the minds of people who eat up this harmful narrative about trans people in sports. Whatever age you are, acceptance is a blessing that improves quality of life.

Gendered sports are also a gently caress on several levels if you want to compete as a non-binary person.

Trans people are their gender. Trans feminine people on HRT don't have an innate muscle advantage, and cis women can be tall too.

Trans people are people and we're loving tired of attacks on our personhood and right to live a normal life being normalised and advancing every day.

To all the posters in the thread who've been against trans inclusion in sports: continuing to support this stance won't make anyone happy. Not cis athletes or the lawmakers trying to pass these bills, or even anxious parents who watch too many scary news shows. Even if you "win", there will always be another issue, another part of us to hate (like how bathrooms were the hot topic before this. And excluding trans people from bathrooms excludes us from a lot of public life because everyone needs to pee!). This doesn't end even after trans people are legislated out of the right to exist as we choose to be.

Be a part of ending the cycle of hate. You don't have to choose love, but even simple indifference is a huge step up. Take a look at yourselves and ask if you gave the faintest gently caress about this "issue" before the media started up on this.

If you didn't care five years ago, maybe you can shrug now and let people play a sport that you'll never see, and which makes them happy.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Aginor posted:

Respect to that.

I'm definitely not disputing people. However I dont think we can keep pointing the finger and demanding we should all be part of something. Nor should we be extreme and get pissed when we're not.

I'm a big lad. (not some neck beard weirdo but country strong) but I think we all have our place in life. And just by being unincluded from something for a wee bit doesnt mean you're not unicluded for ever. Lia Thomas is a strong women. But then we cant forget that a lot of women struggle with this dialogue.

I straight up said don't be a part of this. Stop giving a gently caress and everyone's lives will get better

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Aginor, please consider you could do something more fulfilling with your time than obsessing over groups of people you most likely have nothing to do with.

Maybe you could play a sport.

E: lol he pm'd me too with "go on"

E2: "he did it again! Alert those church elders, chief"

Can we throw this guy a ban for being a harassing pest instead of taking that ridiculously gentle six hours to chill?

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 8, 2022

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Anybody else thinking this person's a rereg?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Well, welcome, and here's to better contributors :)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Having queer people in your friend and peer group can make it way easier to ask questions about your own experiences and come to conclusions about your identity when those experiences don't match the popular narrative.

No teens are getting together to go "lol let's be trans. As a bit." The only thing to gain from declaring your gender identity is different from what others think it is? A life more authentic to yourself. Everything else gets harder, and that life is chosen in spite of that.

E: the love and support of those close to you is also an amazing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

krooslove posted:

Hear! Hear!

It's bizarre to me that people have problems with my gender! How am I any different to anyone else? I am a proud woman and that is that!

We've got a trans chat thread you might be interested in :)