Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Borscht posted:

Or just 1?

Title IX exists for a reason, maybe you disagree with it but it's there.

It seems like everything else can be solved with reasonable testosterone level guidelines

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

If we're concerned about muscle density and skeletal changes and whatever else male puberty is accused of causing which allows trans women to perform better than cis women in certain disciplines, should there be tests of those specific genetic variations in cis women in order to maintain fairness? If a cis woman is too tall, or their feet are too big or their hands are too big, or whatever else, do we judge that they are physiologically "insufficiently feminine" to compete fairly against women?

If you start from the idea that trans women are women (which they are), then you accept their biology as one of many possible variations that occur in women, not an "unfair advantage." To judge that their specific biology is an anti-competitive problem, you must first start with the idea that trans women are not real or legitimate women, which is why this entire discussion ultimately boils down to transphobia.
We've effectively always had this with the judged women's sports like ice skating and gymnastics. Look at the Liukin vs Shawn Johnson rivalry, where the announcers and judges oohed and aahed over Liukin's "elegance". It's part of the whining about difficulty scores giving people like Biles too much of an edge because she's stronger and can do more spins
I don't know as much about ice skating but my understanding is the silver medalist Russian who threw a tantrum was largely correct about having the better performance and got judged against for not meeting the standards of feminine excellence with respect to unquantifiable dancing and grace and whatnot

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

Figure skating is a good discussion point.

Before gender separation, in 1902, a woman placed 2nd in the world championships. Immediately after, women were banned from competing and then a women-only category was introduced but not held for a few years after.

Probably for the same reason boys don't want to wrestle girls. Weight classes pretty much solve the issue of fairness, and there's some very talented female wrestlers. But its a terrible time for the boy going up against them - win, and you've merely 'beaten a girl', lose and hoo boy are you gonna hear it from your teammates. When I was in that sport in high school there was an excellent female wrestler in the county that absolutely everyone avoided until they had to face her at state meets.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

I think it's important to call that out for what it is, though: unabashed sexism. Like I said in an earlier post, I was born with a disability. Not enough of one that, as far as I know, I could compete in para events, but enough that I was always pretty solidly worse than most people at physical things including sports. Like, what, beating me would be more honorable than losing to a highly skilled, fit woman? In what world? It's just sexist bullshit.

Yes, it is.

The disability thing actually came up in wrestling too - one of our teams lightweight wrestlers (I think 118 but can't remember) has a genetic issue where his leg didn't work right and he always walked with a severe limp. He had to kind of hop when trying to circle, and every opponent would go for his strong leg and take him down. But he had good upper body strength and his senior year he was able to pin an opponent. Our whole team went wild and rushed the mat to congratulate him

The guy who lost was completely humiliated

Same thing happened in football where an opposing team had a one armed receiver. He scored a TD (he was super fast and got open) and the defender got absolutely berated for getting beat by a one armed guy

The moral of these anecdotes is that teenagers are jerks