Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
It bears reiteration as there are links posted in the thread: read the scientific conclusions on it. They are cut and dry about time on testosterone blockers and estrogen to equivalent.

As far as youth sports are concerned, children are roughly equal (with women developing faster and thus having ab advantage) until puberty. However, puberty blockers work and are prescribed for early-onset puberty all the time.

They can be prescribed for youth who feel they are a different gender. When they are adults, they can choose. If they are among those that change their minds, can be given hormones to start puberty. Stuff enough puberty hormones into anyone, even those who have finished puberty, and they will go through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Title IX exists for a reason, maybe you disagree with it but it's there.

It seems like everything else can be solved with reasonable testosterone level guidelines

some women have higher than normal testosterone

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

16 year old transfeminine person who is planning to transition asap 'yes I should definitely get loving jacked and send my dysphoria into overdrive in order to win in a sport'

it's just not even remotely a thing

yes, women born XX can and do use steroids/androgen-increasing substances and other performance enhancers to cheat. Transwomen who do so will be loving up their hard-earned identity. They still can use other performance enhancers but if they DO use androgenic steroids, they are setting themselves back even if they are evening the playing field with other women who use androgenic steroids.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

woozy pawsies posted:

That’s fair. Nuckols knows what he’s talking about, not sure if I’ve read his article on hormones though. I think some people have won the genetic lottery for certain sports, and hormones probably are part of it (along with many other things). And I’m bitter about it.

yea of course there is that. And it sucks if you do a sport and don't have those advantages.

But they also have to have talent for the sport on top of the genetics and then drive to make their skills the best possible (along with other systemic reasons that confer advantages).

It's a cross-section that yields very few competitors and there are people that break the mold, they are just extremely rare.