Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Internaut! posted:

Sure like that swimmer who was fairly competitive as a man but transitioned and immediately became women's NCAA champion, or that weightlifter who was in their 40s and washed before transitioning and immediately starting to rake in women's championships, or the cyclist who wasn't even a competitive cyclist as a man but then transitioned and immediately became women's world champion.

But when many ITT won't even go so far as to admit the reason this issue is being talked about is that there's a recurring theme in sport of middling to inadequate men transitioning to women and reaping the rewards, I don't see much point in debate.

Can we have a single link to any of those please? Thus far you saying "this is happening" is not a source.

Oh good, I can also add a hearty "stop talking bollocks" on top of my prior question.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What preliminary data is this? Could you provide it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

What I have an issue with is people acting like they're standing on much firmer ground than they actually are, when the data literally doesn't exist yet, and coming off as ideologically committed to a certain answer regardless of what the facts may or may not end up being. Which gives fuel to people profiting off of raising a moral panic about trans people and doing petty and malicious things like banning kids from sports.

If the data doesn't exist yet, and it appears not to in scientific studies, then you are basing your own ad-hoc reckoning on incomplete data yourself.

Being ideologically committed to not harming people is a good ideological commitment. There does not seem to be the same level of sureness that you are committing to.

Alongside prison stuff it is evident that sexual assault is endemic across the caceral system, it is more vital that this is resolved through either its annihilation or reform so radical as to make no difference, than it is to fret that a vastly rare occurance may become commonplace.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

And there is a reason that I have never made an incredibly firm statement on the subject. I said that some evidence exists to suggest, which I think is a very reasonable statement to make, given our current data.

Your questioning of things and hypothetical are a firm statement. Even if you do not believe that such a thing is the case, you are still presupposing that something that has no proff could have that level of proof at some point. Alongside that your choice of how to characterise people that are disagreeing with you is, to put it bluntly, rather undercutting your attempts to claim a disinterested position in this instance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

I think sufficient evidence exists to support a hypothesis, and it is plausible that that hypothesis may be proved true in the future. And I don't think I'm the person that's had an issue with characterization in this thread lol.

If you believe this then you cannot also believe that you haven't made a firm statement though, can you? If I were to claim that everyone who had an avatar may, eventually, snap and kill their family in a murder suicide but base that on one partial study that came to no firm conclusions I would be being blatantly paranoid, wouldn't I?

No, I believe that your language has still been extremely negative towards people disagreeing with you, even if it is a modicum more polite.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 17, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

If you don't think the evidence is sufficient to even raise the possibility then that's your prerogative. I disagree, obviously.

And I don't find the fact that a tiny and historically oppressed group of people hasn't been able to dominate yet in a well established professional industry drawing from a pool of fifty percent of the population over the course of a decade or so to be particularly convincing.

There have been trans people in sport for over the last 47 years my friend. They still are not dominating and still did not spring into existence from nowhere in the early 2000s.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 17, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I was more wondering if there'd be any response to my questions about how drawing conclusions from a thing that is incomplete may be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Trust me, "bigot" does not have the sting you wish it did.

It should though. Being called a bigot should still make you consider why and how that comes about. Even if you decide that the other person is, ultimately, wrong that doesn't diminish the insult/accusation.