Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Heck, if 10 years from now we actually *did* see all the womens teams and leagues full of majority trans-women to the exclusion of women then I'd honestly be sympathetic to some sort of regulation.

Why?

Does this part have something to do with it?

How are u posted:

full of majority trans-women to the exclusion of women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This thread reads like a bunch of 19th century european academics going "Hm well according to their craniometric volume, Australoids are fit to participate in some areas of society. But if they become too num'rous I shall have great concerns!"

Not real good and cool to see people measuring body traits to determine exactly what rights you should have and exactly where you're fit to participate in human society with everyone else! In fact it's loving shameful that it's even been allowed to proceed like this!

How are u posted:

Heck, if 10 years from now we actually *did* see all the womens teams and leagues full of majority trans-women to the exclusion of cis-women then I'd honestly be sympathetic to some sort of regulation.

If you believe that women who are trans, are women, then why?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

Yes. As a reminder, positions aren't moderated in D&D. Posters are allowed to assert wrong or odious arguments, because correcting them can be educational, and for other practical reasons. You're also not normally required to be rigorous when putting an idea forth initially, only if you refuse to concede it, because this allows for speculation, questions, and readers being able to see sophisticated replies to common talking points that they might not normally.

This is obviously not true because a perfectly reasonable discussion thread was shut down in minutes. But when it comes to transphobic bullshit, suddenly it's all about arguments and reasoning and citations and blah blah blah.

Sedisp posted:

Look posters need to have a place where they can say "Yeah trans women are women but like you know.... not REALLLLY women."

I'd also still like an explanation from How Are U about why, if they believe trans women are women, they'd have concerns if trans women get too successful in sports.

Also it's disgusting that the rhetoric is quickly becomming "all lgbtq people are child molesters" (the next step is eliminationist violence) and apparently some people are much, much, more concerned about the loving muscle mass ratios of total strangers and poo poo. Given what's actually happening in the world it's completely loving unacceptable that bigoted garbage is even allowed a moment, a single post, to exist.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

As for making exceptions to the moderating positions rule, I understand why some might want that, but I have quite strong reasons why I think it should be adhered to absolutely.

This isn't true. Certain debates like "do trans people deserve human rights" are allowed to exist. Other debates are not.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Certain debates regarding the gustatory capacity of mods are verboten here in Debate and Discussion. But transphobic bigotry? Ah, no need to be hasty. That must be given a fair hearing.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

Someone could make a post like that, yes, and I think the debunking that would follow would be valuable, particularly as pseudoscientific racism has been on the rise in the last decade on the internet. Then if they repeated their claims without rigorously addressing the arguments made against them, which presumably they could not, they would be punished for bad faith.

So you agree with me that the mods should reinstate the "How much poo poo could Mods eat" thread. Or do you think that's worse than arguing for literally enslaving black people. You're either too naive to be online or you're using the trans thread to do some epic trolling by...defending and supporting bigots. Either way it's pathetic.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Booourns posted:

Instead of doing any of this just permaban the transphobes please

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
LGBTQ rights are an important issue and there should be a thread about it.

The specific rules regarding this or that sport should maybe be discussed in the sport's thread or the chess thread or whatever. It muddies the waters and frankly at this point I personally could care less about the international chess association's bylaws than the ongoing attempts to destroy trans people in the United States.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Just Chamber posted:

In all sports? What about combat sports? Should a heavyweight woman be allowed to compete against say a heavyweight man in UFC? Or boxing?

Nice on paper that women should be allowed to compete where they want but I don't think this works for certain sports that involve combat or contact. But yes in other sports sure, certain sports like the 100m etc they'd never qualify but they should be able to attempt with the men.

See what I mean? This belongs in the combat sports thread.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Harold Fjord posted:

Why not this thread? Seems weird.

Regarding allowing things, people should be able to engage in certain consensual activities within reasonable bounds. If it's not reasonable to have smaller people fight bigger people, that's fine. But strict gender division is not automatically reasonable.

Well it's just my opinion but it seems way way down on the list of Important Things compared to things like what's going on in Alabama and so on. It's a focus on what's really a pretty niche topic - the first post in this thread should have been the end of it, but now it's not even about trans athletes, it's about.... should women athletes be in the same categories as men, which is a whole other issue.

edit: a whole other issue than trans rights. Basically missing the forest for the trees

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 10, 2022

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Miss Broccoli posted:

The funniest part about it is if you read blanchards writing, ESPECIALLY stuff that isnt academic publications, it becomes increasingly obvious that the man is projecting *hard*. Like just scroll through his twitter for long enough and you can't not wonder if reigning in his urge to be a sex pest is a daily occurence for him

Oh? Is he reigning it in now?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Miss Broccoli posted:

wait is ray an actual sex predator or?

I've heard people who have said he's been really, really creepy and inappropriate with them, though afaik it hasn't crossed into "sex predator" territory.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

woozy pawsies posted:

Asking to define what a women is in a thread about sports which has “men” and “women” divisions is probably a good question to ask. It’s even talked about in the bbm article. It’s colloquial definition and classification is assumed in the studies posted. “Women are women” is a meaningless statement that doesn’t help clear anything up or add to the discussion. But go ahead and assume malice and hate for anyone that could possibly disagree with you on a topic, even if the disagreement is loving semantics.

Surely this time it's in good faith.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

There's really nothing to indicate that transgender women are dominating or ever will dominate women's sport, but for some reason that hypothetical has been brought up in this thread more than once.

Yeah for the millionth time, these state-level trans hate laws about sports literally impact one or maybe two or three people per state. People rightly say that's bullshit.

But I guess if you can't say "I just don't like trans people," that hurts you - it backfires, you say stuff like muscle mass, leg stride length and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now that you're talking about high-level olympic sports physiology, and all these things you're talking about are totally hypothetical things and a byproduct of them is that you can talk about how maybe what if it were good to discriminate against trans people.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You're talking about bullshit that is not real.

What if trans people had laser vision.

What if trans people were bulletproof.

It's bullshit that is not real and you're wanting to pretend it's real because you want to concoct fantasies that justify discrimination.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cool posted:

Do you think it's possible that you're the one concocting a fantasy because it might well turn out to be the case that...

I'm gonna stop you right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cool posted:

And if it did come to be the case that

What if it came to be the case that you made a post that didn't suck rear end?

I know that's a wild hypothetical but hear me out.