Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
My husband chatted with me about this the other day when it made the rounds on TikTok as a story, and I think what we concluded is that the best argument to be made is that, if "fairness" is the concern, the real solution is to pick divisions other than sex/gender. There are plenty of sports that are divided by weight class or what-have-you, if people want competitors to be on an equal playing field it makes more sense to divide into classes based on height or wingspan or whatever other characteristic directly relates to the mechanics of the sport. Using something like hormone levels as your cutoff is asinine, because groups overlap considerably and it isn't like it is some static value across an individual's lifespan.

You could maybe complain that creating too many divisions would reduce interest in the sports, but the gender divide has already screwed that up anyway, since basically every professional male sport gets an order of magnitude more viewership than the same sport played by women (at least in the US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU