Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is why I have found the entire argument about fairness invalid. The point is to use every advantage granted to you in life to defeat your peers. No one ever gets up in arms about rich folks or those with a genetic quirk getting ahead. Why should transgender athletes be any different even if there were advantages?

It’s silly on its face.

Then again I also don’t find any issues with folks juicing or augmenting their bodies if the person is a 100% willing participant so I may be an edge case.

However I have found this argument works on gym rats so lol.

Edit: just in case I wasn’t clear, I am not saying transgender athletes are equivalent to juicing. I am not. What I’m saying is sports competition by their very nature aren’t even fair and so any argument about “fairness” is bullshit. Everyone should be able to compete. gently caress arbitrary rules.

I'm curious, if you think the fairness argument is invalid/silly because sports aren't fair, would you be okay with trans women who haven't undergone HRT competing in women's sports, since they are women?

Sure, the fairness argument doesn't seem to be sound, but it is valid; if there WAS a reason to think that 98-99% of women would never be able to compete at the top level of their sport purely because of easily identifiable circumstances of their birth, then that might not be a good thing for women as a whole. That's some gattaca poo poo.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Bel Shazar posted:

It is already the case that over 99% of women will never be able to compete at the top level of a sport. It's also the case that over 99% of men will never be able to compete at the top level of a sport.

Yes, but not due to easily identifiable circumstances of their birth. Generally, if a woman is passionate and talented about athleticism from their childhood, and they receive the support they need, there's every chance they can compete at a national or international level. Their goal might be ambitious, but it's possible.

If it were the case that cis girls would know that no matter how hard they worked, they wouldn't be able to compete at the top levels just because they were born cis, that's a completely different thing to what you're describing.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Arguing for fairness is sports is like arguing if there is fairness under capitalism. It can’t be fair by the very definition of the subject. There will always be those with advantages (real or perceived by bigots) others could never obtain. It’s 100% an invalid argument used to define arbitrary rules that are defined by the elite.

Transgender athletes are the gender they identify with.

I don’t think anyone needs to go under go any treatment unless they want.

Of course but there's levels to this. Capitalism is definitionally unfair, sure, but when peoples bosses commit wage theft, and someone says that's unfair I wouldn't exactly call that an 'invalid argument.' I'd probably agree with them, personally.

Just because there is genetic and social variations that convey advantages to one person that another person could never hope to get, doesn't mean that it's absurd to call out other, possibly controllable types of unfairness.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I strongly disagree. Wage theft is a feature of capitalism, not a bug. You have to dismantle the system to remove it. Calling it out is good but adding rules to capitalism doesn’t actually resolve the root cause.

Sure, I grant you all this but just to fully clarify, if someone says, "wage theft is unfair." that is invalid to you? Or would you agree that, despite capitalism being definitionally unfair, and how many of the rules are arbitrary, things can still be particularly unfair under capitalism?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

For sports: they’re fun. Let people have fun. Those that want to be the “best” should be able to use every advantage. It’s a competition. Hell, the Olympics were excluding CIS women for having too much testosterone. It’s stupid, arbitrary, and only exists based on the whims of the elite. Those that care about “fairness” here are either bigots, fooling themselves, or have other ulterior motives.

Does that extend to people who think trans women who haven't undergone HRT shouldn't be competing against cis women? Or are there other reasons someone might care about fairness in that case?

Edit:

Dog King posted:

Like Bel Shazar was implying, it is the case that many people know they'll never be able to compete at the top levels of certain sports because of how they were born. Like if you're not tall enough, or not coordinated enough, or have some kind of actual disability.

The inevitable question in this discussion is, what makes being biologically female a special category that we need to accommodate? As opposed to other disadvantages like having a gene that prevents you from developing muscle mass, being short, etc? And the question is still there no matter whether trans female athletes have advantages over cis female athletes or not. That issue just brings it to the fore. Like if we have a women's basketball association, why not one for people under six feet tall? Why not horse races for jockeys that are OVER six feet tall?

Oh I wasn't trying to suggest it was universally true, I said generally because I think it's generally true, that's all. And thankfully, we've been able to fix that issue for many people with disabilities with the Paralympics, and we have several sports that actually give you an advantage if you are short. Those are both really good things imo!

The amount of women athletes who know they'll never be able to compete at the highest level no matter how hard they try, purely because of the circumstances of their birth is nowhere near 99%. I think if it stays nowhere near 99%, then that's good. It'd be rad if we can get whatever percent it is lower.

To answer your question, the reason I think cis women's participation in high level sports is valuable, is cis women make up around 49% of the world's population, There isn't really anything deeper than that.

If it's sustainable, I'm all for additional divisions in sports where it's beneficial.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 7, 2022

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

PT6A posted:

The entire conceit is that there's a maximum level of gud you can git as a woman, and anything beyond that is unfair. The Semenya issue is the perfect example of that: here is a cis woman, who is simply too good at what she does, and there's all sorts of bitching about the fact that she is just too good for pretty much all other women to compete with her. This is not a trans issue because she is not trans, but it's relevant to the discussion because it proves the idea that being a woman in sport is, too often, defined as being somehow weaker or worse. Any deviation from that is simply not okay!

While I agree the Semenya decision was truly ridiculous, I don't know if this maximum allowable performance for a woman thing really works.

If people believe trans women without X years of hormone therapy have a sex based biological advantage that isn't 'fair' then surely intersex cis women like Semenya would also face some sort of scrutiny that might result in hormone ajustments? It feels like a natural extension of the argument to me.

And with that understanding, rather than the maximum allowable performance one, incredible cis athletes with no record of intersex conditions like Florence Griffith Joyner and Serena Williams would be permitted to excell without any intervention by sporting authorities, which seems to be the case.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

So the argument is that testosterone disorders give women an unfair advantage in running and should be banned. Except it's not banned, you can have as much testosterone as Caster and still compete unless you have an XY karyotype

So is testosterone the reason for the ban? Obviously not. But then what is? Doesn't seem to be based on any objective performance-enhancing trait at all

I've been curious about this too. This thread gave me a pretty good excuse to try to track down World Athletics' justification, and I think I found it here.

The Fluidity of Gender and Implications for the Biology of Inclusion for Transgender and Intersex Athletes posted:

Support for the idea to limit athletes with DSD to certain events would require an assessment of previous successes of such athletes in the relevant events. There have been several champions in athletic events on the restricted list over the previous 25 years that, in all probability, had a DSD.

Although none of the athletes, including Caster Semenya, have publicly confirmed being DSD, we estimate that these athletes won a total of at least 19 global athletics championships that is, Olympic or IAAF World Championship gold medals and a total of at least 30 medals of all colors in distances from the 400 m up to the 1500 m; this estimate is supported by unpublished documents from the IAAF. A study from the 2011 Daegu world championships reported an over-representation of DSD athletes of 140-fold representing an indirect measure of a significant advantage.

Morel et al. calculated the prevalence of XY DSD at 1 in 20,000, meaning that of the 354 medals available in global athletic championships in the restricted events over the past 25 years, athletes with DSD would have been expected to win only 0.0177 medals. Hence, the presumed 30 medals are an over-representation of approximately 1700-fold at the podium level

So the argument isn't exactly that high testosterone itself should be banned, but that it appears that specifically in the events that Caster Semenya excelled at (plus the ones she could easily train to excel at), there seems to be a 1700 fold overrepresentation of people with XY DSD at the podium. A reduction in hormone levels would presumably bring that down.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

PT6A posted:

Uh huh. And this is different from people with specific biological quirks excelling at certain things, and being allowed to do so... why?

Obviously she has an advantage. So does literally every other high-level athlete. There are no average people at the Olympics.

World Athletics seems to have a special rule for sex based advantages, where they try to curtail them to still allow for, in their words, "meaningful competition." It's the same reason they don't currently allow trans women who haven't had HRT for X years to compete.

If you're just saying that it's somewhat arbitrary, I agree, of course.

Jaxyon posted:

We know the argument isn't that high-T should be banned, because they didn't ban other conditions that result in it.

They just banned this one.

Why?

As I said in the quote, a 1700 fold overrepresentation of XY DSD at the podium seems likely to be why.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2022

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I'm currently reading through the court document from Semenya suing the IAAF/World Althetics and I'm hoping that will shine some more light on their arguments. Since the thread seems pretty interested in this topic and it's at least tangentially related to trans women in sports, I figured I should link it in case anyone else is as boring as me.

VitalSigns posted:

Well considering the side effects are horrible and it's considered medically unethical to give a healthy person hormone reducing drugs for sports qualification purposes, yeah making someone sick would presumably hurt their performance.

But if testosterone is responsible for an unfair performance advantage why is the rule only applied to women with an XY karyotype, that don't make sense. Are her testosterone levels an unfair advantage, or not? Would an XX woman with the same testosterone level have an unfair advantage?

It seems the reason is because they can't actually prove it's testosterone and women with high T and XX karyotypes would sue for discrimination and win which is what happened before they went with the current contradictory and nonsense justification that courts seem to be fine with for some reason

Perhaps World Athletics only cares about controlling for sex based advantages in women's sports, or they just want to ensure big, restrictive rules like this one don't get anyone outside of the group demonstrated to have a massive overrepresentation. Either way, it would make perfect sense for the rule to be set up this way. I don't think it suggests any ulterior motives.

VitalSigns posted:

Overrepresentation numbers alone don't prove anything unfair is going on or justify disqualification to my eyes anyway.

African Americans are heavily overrepresented in the NBA, is that automatically unfair? Should they be disqualified? Should they be required to take drugs to bring down their performance?

That runner who complained that racing against African runners was like running "two separate races", if it were proven that African competitors were overrepresented should they be disqualified or forced to take drugs to compete? Why or why not?

Personally I'm kind of struggling even trying to imagine what the equivalent overrepresentation would look like, when Africans make up like 20% of the world population, so take what I say here with a grain of salt, but:

If African runners had a 1700 fold over representation in medals, I would be pretty confident that meaningful competition could not be had between African runners and non-African runners at the top level. Presuming the other 80% of the world wanted to have a world-wide meaningful competition, I think the creation of a different division, as a random example, would make much more sense than DQ/absolute drug requirements. Lowering participation in sports/racially discriminating/forcing people to take performance lowering drugs to compete all seem pretty bad to me (which is why I personally dislike the XY DSD decision)

Jaxyon posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, strictly speaking. But if the reason for the women's events is to restrict/reduce sex based advantages for "meaningful competition for women," which seems to be World Athletics' current position, then one group of women having a sex based advantage to that level probably isn't in the spirit of the division, at least.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

What if a man had an intersex condition that made him particularly suited to gymnastics? Could he be considered too good to be male?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this happened tbh.

In 1992 a woman, Zhang Shan, won a silver medal in a mixed sex shooting event. Women were banned from that event for the next Olympics. Couldn't have her taking the gold, you understand.

In 2016, trans man boxer, Patricio Manuel won his first and only professional boxing match. No boxer since has ever agreed to a match with him, for obvious sexist transphobic reasons.

It's less likely than those two examples above but you know, there's a trend here. I could see the competitors making it a thing.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Caster Semenya is a woman, and has lived her entire life as such.

Yes? I agree? I don't think I've ever said anything to suggest otherwise?

VitalSigns posted:

Sorry could you explain why you think there can't be "meaningful competition" between women with XY DSD like Semenya and other women, in light of the fact that she doesn't hold the world record and the world record record holder doesn't have that condition? It seems to me there is meaningful competition already if women with XY DSD aren't holding the world record in the event in question.

I agree that a combined men and women race wouldn't be meaningful competition because the women world record holders wouldn't even qualify for the Olympic teams and all the track world records would be held by men, but that's clearly not what's going on.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's fair to say the WR holder isn't XY DSD. You can't tell if someone is XY DSD by looking at them. We don't actually know which 800m medallists have XY DSD. We only originally found out Semenya is XY DSD because of some piece of poo poo leaking confidential medical information to lovely tabloids. For extremely very obvious reasons, World Athletes has not publicly revealed which medallists are XY DSD. On top of that, I think if we are being fair, the cheating scandals in women's running were so bad that European Athletics wanted to void all pre 2005 records, so comparing pre-2005 and post-2005 times is kind of iffy.

Sorry, this is getting really down in the weeds and I don't think either of us want this, but I never said I don't think there can be meaningful competition between women with XY DSD and other women. You used the comparison of Africa. If Africa got 1700 times the amount of medals that we would expect, wouldn't they have like, every medal a hundred times over? Now to me THAT is not meaningful competition. But that doesn't mean intersex people having 30 medals instead of a fraction of a fraction is also necessarily not meaningful.

I'll try to restate the argument to maybe reset: "We are aware of a theoretical way an intersex woman could have sex based advantages in sports. A study demonstrated an advantage in several events. In 3 of those events, and 2 other, related events, there are ~14 000% more XY DSD athletes than we would expect, and XY DSD women seem to have ~170 000% the medals than we would expect based on their population size. That number is arguably too large. "

Now I have my own criticisms of the argument to some extent, but I think it's way more likely that this argument is why they implemented the rule change and not because of the other explanations in this thread.

VitalSigns posted:

They're not, the argument made in the IAAF case that Gentleman Butler linked (and seems to have inadvertently misquoted unless I'm just looking at a different section than him because the number I see is 140x not 1700x), is that of all competitors in elite events (not medal winners, competitors total), 7 women in 1000 have 46 XY DSD versus 1 woman in 20,000 out of the general population, or 140x the number you would expect in the competitions if there were no advantage.

The guy who is the source of the statistic also claims that women with 46 XY DSD are indistinguishable from males in terms of sports performance.

When asked why, if their bodies perform exactly like biological males' bodies in competition, these women aren't posting male medal-winning numbers, his answer is basically "because they suck at running lol". Non-elite men would do well in women's races but wouldn't win all the time so this what they are just unremarkable "gonadally male" runners who can only compete at this level because they're running against the girls. It's very dumb. I'll quote from it directly later when I'm not on my phone.

The arguments from Semenya's team are very good, I love that IAAF has no answer to the question of why they didn't look at other characteristics which are also overrepresented in elite competitions, but apparently this didn't bother the court even though it seems to me that it completely demolishes their reasoning.

It's a 140x of competitors, but if you read a few more sentences down, it's 1700x over representation at the podium. The quote I put in this thread contained both numbers.

Edit: I think you might be looking at the court record. I haven't really started reading that yet. I got my data from The Fluidity of Gender and Implications for the Biology of Inclusion for Transgender and Intersex Athletes

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 12, 2022

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

The entire rule and reasoning exists based on the concept that Semenya is not a woman, or not women "enough".

If there is no distinction, how is a woman winning a woman's division title a threat to the women's division? Or not in the spirit of it?

Also I'd like to add, while the discussion of Caster Semenya's treatment does touch on some issues that crossover with transgender athletes, she is not transgender. I feel it's important to add that because sex and gender issues are frequently confused, as are intersex and transgender issues.

Because Caster Semenya ostensibly has a sex based advantage, and the position that women's divisions should try to ensure there aren't significant sex based advantages is a coherent one.

I don't know about you, but I think trans women who haven't undergone HRT are also women, but perhaps a trans woman who hasn't undergone HRT winning it might not be in the spirit of the women's division.

This isn't to say there can't be a women's division that doesn't care about sex based advantages of course.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Well yes that's true, I didn't mean I knew for a fact, only that I looked up the record holders and there was nothing saying they are.

If the argument is that 46 XY DSD is such an overwhelming advantage that no meaningful competition can be had between Semenya and everyone else, I'd hope there'd be a better argument than "well you can't know for sure that every woman who has ever beaten Semenya wasn't intersex too"

I mean really, that's what you're going with?

And mb if the case says 1700x somewhere and I haven't gotten to it yet, like I said on my phone right now, I'll finish reading it later

There's one woman who has beaten Semenya's time at her main event (800m) after the 2005 drug policy changes, and there is data that suggests there is a significant performance advantage for intersex people. Under those situations, I don't think, "Well someone with even better performance than her might or might not be intersex!" is a very compelling. Especially when my position is completely based on the 1700x number.

Please keep in mind, I'm a Semenya fan. My position has never been, "She's too good someone needs to stop her!" In fact I'm the opposite.

Semenya has had to deal with an absolute insane amount of poo poo for the past ~13 years. Things that her non-intersex competitors never had to deal with. Things even her intersex competitors who didn't get their info leaked never had to deal with. All while doing the most intense training productively possible. You can't tell me that doesn't leave a mark.

In a just world, either one where she didn't have to take blockers, or one where she did and it didn't harm her, I think she would have beaten Jelimo.

VitalSigns posted:

A woman (Faith Kipyegon) beat Semenya's all-time personal best in the 1500m just last year in the 2021 Olympics, so if she also secretly has XY DSD why isn't the rule being enforced then, like is it important or not

Semenya's event is the 800m. Semenya has never ran the 1500m in the Olympics for a reason. Kipyegon's 800m is 3 and a half seconds slower than Semenya, and AFAIK we don't know how much of an effect the hormone blockers have or how long it takes.

Jaxyon posted:

But she doesn't, and nobody is even claiming or demonstrating that she does.

The entire controversy is that she is insufficiently womanly.

World Athletics literally went to court with her and argued that she has a sex based advantage (and won)

Edit: v v goondolences :( I know the feel. I have these genes that gave me incredibly severe rheumatoid arthritis 1 year into college. Very cool, genetic lottery. Really glad you let me get all that debt first.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Reading VitalSign's posts, I honestly think wires are too crossed to continue. I don't believe anyone who beat Semenya's 1500m score must have XY DSD, I thought I said her 1500m wasn't her event? I've never suggested there's people running around hiding their DSD from officials, never suggested Jelimo definitely has DSD.

My argument is that it seems like the advantage from DSD has lead to a massive over-representation in medals earned. I did not intend to paint some picture of everyone with DSD having a 10 second advantage over all other women at every event they participate in.

I guess I'm just no good at explaining myself and I'm sorry for wasting peoples time.