Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Koos Group posted:

I would not like to foster that, which is why if someone refuses to provide evidence when challenged with counter-evidence, they'll be probed for bad faith. I've also thought about instituting a rule where controversial statements of fact need to be backed up in the same post in threads where it's called for, but that does preclude discussion that comes from refuting common unsupported statements. So there is some trade-off. The rule would also apply to everyone equally, of course.

That's cool! Thank you. What about poo poo like this:

RealityWarCriminal posted:

They pm'd me to say "women have wombs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

So far the moderation of this thread has allowed several transphobes a bunch of replies and the freedom to harass half a dozen posters before being ejected, while piling probes on the people upset by that.

And it's not as if you cant read between the lines on what is being said by "polite" posters because the "mods eat poo poo" thread was tanked immediately, despite being worded very reasonably.

You literally didnt even probate the idiot for blatant racism earlier. This is a loving joke, Koos.

Jokes are funny, this is more a case of this is a pathetic excuse for moderation that exposes very clearly what the team does and doesn't give a poo poo about. A rereg that's less than a week old can pop in and spout bigotry without so much as a single shred of supporting evidence and it's absolutely fine because they're not one of the bad people the mods of d&d have a childish vendetta against. Best case scenario giving you the benefit of the doubt which is less and less deserved: your whole team supports transphobic bullshit Koos, this is a failure, and it's disgusting. Great job team.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Sharkie posted:

Certain debates regarding the gustatory capacity of mods are verboten here in Debate and Discussion. But transphobic bigotry? Ah, no need to be hasty. That must be given a fair hearing.

I mean, do we really want to cultivate an environment where bigots feel like they aren't allowed to pop off with random unsupported dehumanizing bullshit targeting specific people they consider to be inferior? Stifling, if you ask me, a serious person.

To clarify so this isn't just a sarcastic jab, Koos, the reason you are getting the reaction you are itt is that there is no such thing as impartiality when it comes to bigotry. You're intentionally cultivating a safe space for people to make disgusting unfounded attacks. It's not an accident that this keeps happening. It's a direct foreseeable consequence of how you are choosing to run things. People are still being nice and extending to you quite a bit of benefit of the doubt, but I don't think that will last long unless you come to your senses. This is a very bad policy and has already had very bad results in terms of the space you're allowing and who you're allowing it for. It will get worse. Again, this is a direct foreseeable consequence of your choices. It won't be long before people turn from assuming this is a problem you're trying to solve, to assuming this is what you want, because trans people, at best, don't matter to you.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 9, 2022

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

I don't believe my policy has had profoundly bad results yet, bearing in mind that what happened with Aginor would have played out almost exactly the same whether the policy were your preferred way or mine.

It has, though, you just don't perceive them to be profoundly bad, for some reason. And the rest is a hypothetical, you're assuming that the issue of bigots piling in with personal attacks is a force of nature like the weather rather than taking responsibility for the environment that you have authority over. We don't know what happened with Aginor or Internaut! would have played out exactly the same, that's your assumption. I think more highly of you than you seem to think of yourself - I still believe you can do better, while you seem to think this is how things must always be.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

I believe I see what you mean that a clearly indicated and forceful policy of the kind you're advocating may have deterred Aginor from even posting. That didn't occur to me. I just meant that once he had posted, it would have been handled the same under both.

Precisely. Even setting aside the personal attacks via the PM system, this is currently a space where bigots feel that they can dehumanize and degrade people they think are inferior as long as they capitalize and use proper grammar. They don't even need to include citations, because they'll just be asked for citations and given free reign to poo poo on people for days at a time. This isn't good faith debate; people like that see a space where they can have some fun and stir up poo poo and hurt some feelings and get some dopamine. That doesn't have to be welcome here in order to have healthy debates over things that are actually reasonable to debate. There's a reason that people like Aginor and internaut see this space the way they do; and that's the explicit policies in place that allow and encourage them to do what they do. It's at very least, worth reconsidering if that's the type of environment you want.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

some plague rats posted:

Weird how this just keeps happening, isn't it.

i'm sure they'll be back to cite some sources any minute, so it's fine

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Shageletic posted:

Rename this thread the transphobe honey pot thread

I mean realistically the current title always meant this, lol. It's not a debate with two reasonable sides, it's an oppressed group trying to fuckin' live and harassment from freaks who are obsessed with other people's genitals and/or who thrive on the attention and endorphins they get from taking their own personal issues out on a class of people a lot of people in society feel they have a green light to verbally bully, physically assault, and so on. There's no middle ground and there's no way to convince me that the transphobes have a point.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Ash Crimson posted:

I think trans people would have a lot more tolerance for this bullshit if it wasn't literally being used as a justification to ban or exclude us from large parts of society

But it's cool because its a joke, like on top gear

There really needs to be an immediate re-evaluation of the mod staff's instincts regarding what does and does not "promote thoughtful philosophical discussion" given the instantaneous reveal of that last poster's history and intentions lmfao

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Colonel Cool posted:

I think saying being trans is just a natural advantage like being tall is a valid answer to the problem, and probably one I could buy on a philosophical level.

But I think an issue is is that being tall is a natural advantage to certain sports, where being male is a natural advantage to most sports. Short girls have other sports they can compete in, they don't have to go into basketball. And if it did come to be the case that trans women were dominating most elite sports it seems kind of lovely for cis girls to know that it's very unlikely they'd ever be able to be competitive at the top levels of whatever sport they were interested in. Which is sort of the primary reason we formed gendered sports in the first place.

this whole argument is ridiculous. if, in your absurd hypothetical, transwomen were dominant like tallness correlates with in basketball, and as you seem to think "it would be kind of lovely for cis girls to know they're unlikely to be competitive at top levels", why isn't your suggestion that there be a short women league to keep out the unfairly advantaged tall women?? Seems kind of lovely for the short women otherwise, don't you think? Why is a woman being trans different in your view?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Transphobia or bigotry is not against the thread, per Koos.

It's good and fun for the forum to be educated by the responses to bigots, again per Koos.

Otherwise we'd be moderating debate positions, which is worse than bigotry as far as the forum goes.

Just stating the moderation opinion, per my DM convos with Koos.

If they would like to clarify further to the thread, they can.

are you not excited to get probated by commiegir in the feedback thread when it gets posted six days from now? Until then we can just have a bunch of cool guys pour in and cissplain their icky feelings about possibly losing at basketball to a woman and how state laws that target one specific teenager are good actually, because that's a valued perspective here that it would be bad practice to exclude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Colonel Cool posted:

And those regulators are assholes. People can call me out for whatever they want. You know nothing about me.

You're a bigot and it's insane that you haven't been kicked out of here yet, a functioning moderation team would have bounced you dozens of repetitive, say-nothing, dance around the point posts ago. gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos running through the thread probating everyone who's upset by bigots being given free range to spout whatever nonsense they want no matter who it hurts or how hateful it is, as long as they include capitalization and paragraphs. You're a loving disgrace, Koos, not waiting til Friday, there's my feedback. This is a failure, and you're a bigot for encouraging and allowing it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)