Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Biological males have no business competing athletically against biological females in any sport where the indisputable physical advantages of males is a factor, for example sprinting versus curling.

That said I don't give a gently caress about women's sports, and as a man this issue doesn't affect me in the slightest, so I'll let the broads fight their own battle on this one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

You gonna poo poo and run or stick around to defend this view?

What is there to defend? Males in general are significantly stronger and faster than females which is why women's sports exist in the first place.

Do people seriously argue this in 2022? Do they imagine the biggest richest teams in the world would turn down a Tomasina Brady or Christine Ronaldo if a woman could play as well as the men?

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Weren't organized women's sports essentially invented and promoted by the American government during the Cold War as nothing more than a way to pad Olympic medal counts when they noticed they weren't tallied by gender?

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Mischievous Mink posted:

Taking estrogen gets your body's muscles to start diminishing pretty quick actually, so it sounds like you have literally no idea what you're talking about and you don't know poo poo.

I wouldn't presume to gatekeep transness by requiring some sort of medical treatment regime, would you? What do you say to people around the world who are trans but don't have access to such treatment, or can't afford it? Would you merely deny them access to women's sports, or to the ability to identify as trans altogether?

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

denying the reality of a bunch of people?

I did nothing of the sort.

Jaxyon posted:

Or do you think you can just shoot from the hip on this because you're unlikely to ever have to face consequences for your ignorance?

What sort of "consequences" should a person face for being ignorant of trans athletes in sport? That sounds rather like a threat.

Jaxyon posted:

Also a lot of women's divisions exist because women were beating men when it was combined.

Olympic biathlon is a recent example.

Haven't heard of that one and in the most recent Olympics the men handily beat the women on the same course according to the final results I can see. Regardless I think we can agree in this case "a lot" is actually "very very few" and I'm the first to admit I don't see the need for gender separation in sports like curling for example, but maybe even there males have an advantage.

Internaut! fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 6, 2022

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

Being transgender has nothing to do with affirmation/transition treatment. However to compete in sports, there are requirements about testosterone levels.

So low-T males can compete in women's sport without identifying as trans?

No, and the reason being there's more to male advantage in sport than just hormone levels.

Internaut! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 6, 2022

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

You have made broad statements about "biological males" and what advantages they have that indicate you have zero knowledge about transgender athletics.

Males in general are significantly stronger and faster than females, there is no debate about this in any serious circle. This does not even address transgender athletics much less make a statement about them.

Jaxyon posted:

The point is your ignorance will get you very little social blowback or cause you very little problems because transgender people are so marginalized that that you can continue to be ignorant and post ignorant takes. In ways that ignorant takes about, say, black folks wouldn't fly.

Like Jimmy the Greek pointing out that African-Americans were bred for centuries to be big and strong, and this is why the NFL is full of African-Americans descended from slaves, while there's been like 3 Africans ever in the league not descended from African-American slaves? I'm not sure what social blowback people would face for this, but why should they? Unpalatable truths remain truths after all.

Jaxyon posted:

You keep talking about men competing against women directly, but this thread is about women competing against women.

As you can see from my posts I've been exceedingly careful to separate sex from gender except where impossible, such as discussing Olympic biathlon which is split by gender. That's on the IOC.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

From what I've read there's no competitive advantage for a transwoman who began HRT before hitting puberty, so I don't see any reason why they should be barred from competition. But testosterone has a huge influence on skeletal growth throughout puberty, which certainly gives an advantage in some sports - things like height in basketball and volleyball, arm length/reach in combat sports, hand/foot size in swimming, etc.

Don't forget muscle mass to go along with that huge skeleton.

After all the only reason anyone's even talking about MTF trans women playing women's sports is that we're seeing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again how absolutely middling male athletes transition as fully grown adults, and then utterly dominate women's sport.

If being born male made so little difference, as is being so passionately argued by some ITT, if you're ranked 5,000 in the world as a man playing a men's sport (e.g. men's weightlifting, men's soccer, men's biathlon or whatever) and you transition to a woman, you should end up roughly ranked 5,000 in the world as a woman. That is FAR from what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Harold Fjord posted:

Hey did you ever find any evidence of this?

Sure like that swimmer who was fairly competitive as a man but transitioned and immediately became women's NCAA champion, or that weightlifter who was in their 40s and washed before transitioning and immediately starting to rake in women's championships, or the cyclist who wasn't even a competitive cyclist as a man but then transitioned and immediately became women's world champion.

But when many ITT won't even go so far as to admit the reason this issue is being talked about is that there's a recurring theme in sport of middling to inadequate men transitioning to women and reaping the rewards, I don't see much point in debate.