Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bear Enthusiast posted:

What's your point here? Many things can be an advantage or disadvantage at a sport. Like Michael Phelps and his lower production of lactic acid, or those dastardly lefties.

Looks like you didn't read the quoted poster's previous response! Hope this helps.

Squinty posted:

From what I've read there's no competitive advantage for a transwoman who began HRT before hitting puberty, so I don't see any reason why they should be barred from competition. But testosterone has a huge influence on skeletal growth throughout puberty, which certainly gives an advantage in some sports - things like height in basketball and volleyball, arm length/reach in combat sports, hand/foot size in swimming, etc. And whether or not those are "unfair" advantages seems entirely subjective to me? I don't think there's a simple one-size-fits-all answer for those cases. Personally, I'd lean towards allowing transwomen to compete, and then in 20 years if every center in the WNBA and every middle blocker at the Olympics is transgender, maybe then you reevaluate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cranappleberry posted:

some women have higher than normal testosterone

The obvious example being Caster Semenya, yeah? Who won a shitload of competitions then got banned from competition because of her uncertain status?