Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm of the opinion that government should stay out of the business of sports leagues and athletics associations when possible. The rules for trans participants are possibly/probably going to be different for running than they would be for boxing and that's okay.

It definitely is a sure-fire easy win for the GOP, though. I know it's entirely anecdotal, but my dad hasn't voted Republican in twenty years and has iced relations with a lot of old relatives because he realized how racist they are, but as much progress as my Dad has made on race he goes on about PEDs and hormone therapies and whatnot when it comes to this issue, and "protecting the many" even if it's a sad inconvenience to an occasional individual who wanted to transition and be a competitive athlete at the same time. Obviously the pundit shitbags of the world are going to distort the issue to absurdist extremes, pretending that someone who looks like Schwarzenegger in his prime can just put on a dress and compete against women weightlifters on the same day. But the people who buy into the idea of strong inherent immutible differences between man and woman (like Dad, who bought Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus in the early 90s and seems to believe in that book's oft-criticized idea that the sexes have a big old gap divides them) will continue to believe that in 25 years womens sports will be an all-transfemme competition if we're not careful.

If you don't buy into the idea that the gender binary exists and is all-powerful, trans athletes a lot less of an issue. But that position is still held by only a minority of the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU