Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
ARRR! Why Do i have to buy a new fridge every year just to keep my food cold!?? This is insanity!!

Now replace fridge with console, food with games and cold with playing.

Feel stupid yet? You should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

ARRR! Why Do i have to buy a new fridge every year just to keep my food cold!?? This is insanity!!

check out this dude still gaming on the 2600

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

durrrr

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Xbox Series X has a compartment filled with dry ice that will destroy your penis if you leave it in there for too long

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

furthermore, why do i have to eat every day

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

zaepg posted:

What was the appeal of the original Xbox besides Halo? There were also like, a few Rare Games, that's all I can think of.

It was hacked to all hell.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Aye, I was in the console wars, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Time for Jaguar 2

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Marklar posted:

It was hacked to all hell.

That's what you get for being lazy and just making your console a weirdly shaped windows PC!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeez, when your typical buffoon compares the cost of video games to movie tickets at least they're drawing comparison between entertainment products...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The console wars made me the man I am today, son.

camera pans to hoarder room full of piss jugs

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they call it the series x because when you see it you will run for the exit

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

zaepg posted:

What was the appeal of the original Xbox besides Halo? There were also like, a few Rare Games, that's all I can think of.

It easily had the best versions of multi-platform games on a regular basis. It came with a built in HD. Its early adoption of unified online game services in Xbox Live basically allowed multiplayer console gaming to become a thing that wasn't limited by game-to-game cases like the PS2's where there could be enormous discrepancies between the quality of service and user accessibility - a big reason why it was a pretty drat successful multiplayer console relative to its time period, whereas the PS2's modem floundered. The integrated online capabilities right out of the box basically became industry standard after that point. Its exclusives and marketing helped bring a more Western sensibility to a market that was still heavily dominated by Japanese companies and software, games like Halo proved that AAA Western releases could be as high quality and successful as your average Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy.
As far as more straightlaced hardware is concerned, it was also the first major console to really just be a system using typical standard computer components instead of heavily customized hardware, while that did it no favors back then, that's quickly become industry standard because it just makes development a fuckton easier for everyone, especially when making multiplatform releases.

The HD and Xbox Live basically combined to make it the first console with any real feasible capability for digital software, compared to the weird satellite poo poo for the Genesis and SNES. It also popularized the idea of a dashboard on systems and the kind of account customization that comes with that.

It was really innovative and industry leading in a lot of ways, it's library was unfortunately just lacking.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It easily had the best versions of multi-platform games on a regular basis. It came with a built in HD. Its early adoption of unified online game services in Xbox Live basically allowed multiplayer console gaming to become a thing that wasn't limited by game-to-game cases like the PS2's where there could be enormous discrepancies between the quality of service and user accessibility - a big reason why it was a pretty drat successful multiplayer console relative to its time period, whereas the PS2's modem floundered. The integrated online capabilities right out of the box basically became industry standard after that point. Its exclusives and marketing helped bring a more Western sensibility to a market that was still heavily dominated by Japanese companies and software, games like Halo proved that AAA Western releases could be as high quality and successful as your average Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy.
As far as more straightlaced hardware is concerned, it was also the first major console to really just be a system using typical standard computer components instead of heavily customized hardware, while that did it no favors back then, that's quickly become industry standard because it just makes development a fuckton easier for everyone, especially when making multiplatform releases.

The HD and Xbox Live basically combined to make it the first console with any real feasible capability for digital software, compared to the weird satellite poo poo for the Genesis and SNES. It also popularized the idea of a dashboard on systems and the kind of account customization that comes with that.

It was really innovative and industry leading in a lot of ways, it's library was unfortunately just lacking.

I find console history really interesting, especially how developers worked around all of the proprietary quirks of the pre-PS4/Xbone eras. I guess we still have Nintendo doing it their way though.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I guess we still have Nintendo doing it their way though.

the switch uses an nvidia tegra, it's not some one-of-a-kind thing unique to nintendo

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
OG xbox had a really great modding scene

Stuff like Plex has a pretty direct lineage to it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Bad Purchase posted:

the switch uses an nvidia tegra, it's not some one-of-a-kind thing unique to nintendo

they sure love not letting me save my motherfucking password on their lovely OS, though!

wyoak posted:

OG xbox had a really great modding scene

Stuff like Plex has a pretty direct lineage to it

Kodi is literally the direct continuation of the XBMC project

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

That's what you get for being lazy and just making your console a weirdly shaped windows PC!

Lol it literally had an IDE hard drive and disc drive. They didn't even bother changing the connectors.

Ironically the only game console in history to never have been hacked is the Xbox One.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

they sure love not letting me save my motherfucking password on their lovely OS, though!

for what? the eshop or nintendo online stuff? i can't remember the last time i had to put in a password for those, i think it's been years.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The Switch is so good at remembering my info that I actually made my password something so ridiculous I can't even remember it and I've literally never had to enter it again in five years since it launched. I don't even think I needed my password when transferring over to the oled model.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You'll need it if you try buying anything on switch online marketplace lol

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
hmm i bought a first gen ps4 that was bundled with the original destiny when that game was new and im pretty glad it hasnt exploded yet since i use it every day at least for streaming even if im not playing anything. does microsoft poo poo last as long

edit: i bought it in october 2014

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 6, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

You'll need it if you try buying anything on switch online marketplace lol

nope, or at least not after the first time

i usually buy with a gift card balance, though, maybe it's different if you use a credit card every time?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The OG Xbox had a built in Ethernet port and XBox Live and was cheaper than a gaming PC. KOTOR being exclusive also made me purchase it but about 2 weeks into playing Mech Warrior online, I got really sick for 10 year olds and the voice changers so it just kinda sat there after that.

Then the mods came and I turned mine into a few things, one being a web server because why not?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember the original x box controller it was real big lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The original Xbox owned, I played like 1000 hours of Halo 2 online

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nooner posted:

Remember the original x box controller it was real big lol

It was the size of ur rear end in a top hat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horizon 5 continues to blow my tiny brain

gotta get back to Elden Ring tho

oh and Hades is fuckin good

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

It was the size of ur rear end in a top hat

:supaburn:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i might have to choose between Forza and Microsoft Flight Sim, they're both like 100 gigs :mad:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe it's wrong to romanticize, but i do miss the console wars and wish they would heat up again. like, c'mon, why can't apple take the guts of an ipad pro / mbp and spin off a console? their m1 chips already beat the ps5 and series x and are efficient enough that they could work as a handheld. they also already have armies of fans and haters ready to enter the war on day 1.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
One day Dreamcast will return and you will rue the day...

Spurned by gamers, it will come in form of Nightmarecast. Await press release next time you lie half awake, unable to move.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

One day Dreamcast will return and you will rue the day...

Spurned by gamers, it will come in form of Nightmarecast. Await press release next time you lie half awake, unable to move.

i had house of the dead 2 with lightguns :smug:

and i could show you my sweet custom tony hawk levels

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

precision posted:

Horizon 5 continues to blow my tiny brain

gotta get back to Elden Ring tho

oh and Hades is fuckin good

Horizon 5 Dicks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

zaepg posted:

shenmue two

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

nope, or at least not after the first time

i usually buy with a gift card balance, though, maybe it's different if you use a credit card every time?

can cum firm

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

My friend had one when I was a kid, and I always admired the graphics. But I was waiting waiting for good platformers and they never came out. And then the 3rd generation came out, and the Xbox was over before it could get started.

Anyone remember Psychonauts? That was a great Xbox platformer.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bad Purchase posted:

maybe it's wrong to romanticize, but i do miss the console wars and wish they would heat up again. like, c'mon, why can't apple take the guts of an ipad pro / mbp and spin off a console? their m1 chips already beat the ps5 and series x and are efficient enough that they could work as a handheld. they also already have armies of fans and haters ready to enter the war on day 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

drat, that rules. unlike sony, apple had the balls to bring a boomerang controller to market.