Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
don't know anyone with one and they promised a lot for a portable using 2022 batteries. Switch can run Dark Souls 1 Remastered so maybe I'm just an out of touch Old

also apparently linux can emulate legit windows games now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

You can play Persona 4 on a steam deck, so yes. Yes it has.

This is coming from a launch edition Vita owner.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they do different things. a vita / 3ds / switch will be better handhelds for portability, comfort, and battery life. a steam deck is the best option if you specifically want to play pc games in handheld mode and don't mind the extra weight and fan noise. it's definitely the most powerful of the bunch, and pretty decent for the price. but because it's running games through a windows compatibility layer, not everything will work perfectly.

but to be honest, for anyone just getting into the space, i'd recommend picking up a tiger handheld system. if you're still into the hobby after a year, then think about spending the money on a fancier system like one of the above.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

but to be honest, for anyone just getting into the space, i'd recommend picking up a tiger handheld system. if you're still into the hobby after a year, then think about spending the money on a fancier system like one of the above.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Mod your Switch and install Moonlight and you can stream pc games to it too

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Steam Dick

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Mod your Switch and install Moonlight and you can stream pc games to it too

Played FF14 on my modded Switch earlier, life owns.

Might get a Steam Deck down the line.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I considered a steam deck then realized I’d rather just get a more powerful laptop for that price since portable gaming is served better by a switch, whose games are purpose built for it instead of jankily emulated in Linux and hoping the game happens to correctly map to the steam deck controls

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Analytic Engine posted:

don't know anyone with one and they promised a lot for a portable using 2022 batteries. Switch can run Dark Souls 1 Remastered so maybe I'm just an out of touch Old

also apparently linux can emulate legit windows games now

well, I understand the second line of that.
You ok buddy?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Played FF14 on my modded Switch earlier, life owns.

Might get a Steam Deck down the line.

Vita means life

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gutcruncher posted:

I considered a steam deck then realized I’d rather just get a more powerful laptop for that price since portable gaming is served better by a switch, whose games are purpose built for it instead of jankily emulated in Linux and hoping the game happens to correctly map to the steam deck controls

can you actually get a more powerful laptop than a Steam Deck for the same price? I guess the highest storage one maybe. I feel like it's actually pretty damned good deal performance wise compared to anything I saw when I looked a couple years ago.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

can you actually get a more powerful laptop than a Steam Deck for the same price? I guess the highest storage one maybe. I feel like it's actually pretty damned good deal performance wise compared to anything I saw when I looked a couple years ago.

is this cloud gaming poo poo? I tried last friday on xbox and it was wonkey as poo poo

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

well, I understand the second line of that.
You ok buddy?

[I] don't know anyone with [a steam deck] and [Valve] promised a lot [of powerful features] for a [mass market] portable using 2022 [battery capacities].

Also apparently linux [after decades of bad game support] can emulate [current-generation closed source] windows games now

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

is this cloud gaming poo poo? I tried last friday on xbox and it was wonkey as poo poo

no it's not Stadia bullshit, they made a portable computer with a touchscreen and graphics cards that runs for hours and seems to satisfy every nerd fantasy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Analytic Engine posted:

[I] don't know anyone with [a steam deck] and [Valve] promised a lot [of powerful features] for a [mass market] portable using 2022 [battery capacities].

Also apparently linux [after decades of bad game support] can emulate [current-generation closed source] windows games now

I didn't care about the first line.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Is this about the xbox series x

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Because it keeps winning

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I didn't care about the first line.

I thought this was a troll until it clicked that nobody would associate this thing with linux unless they were already super invested in gaming and programming like my nerd rear end. It's a big deal for their OS to not be windows but yeah why would GBS goons care about that?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Analytic Engine posted:

I thought this was a troll until it clicked that nobody would associate this thing with linux unless they were already super invested in gaming and programming like my nerd rear end. It's a big deal for their OS to not be windows but yeah why would GBS goons care about that?

I honestly don't. Why would anyone else?

I care about linux.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

DOUG || FASTER

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Doug was always a little turd

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vim Fuego posted:

DOUG || FASTER

do do do do do, do do do do do do.
Doug!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i would like a steam deck but they don't sell them in australia because valve hates australia ever since we forced them to do refunds for bad games

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Roger Klotz. Patty Mayonnaise. The Honker Burger.

E: Mr Bone.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

can't even tell if fake or real tiger poo poo was so dumb

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Private Cumshoe posted:

can't even tell if fake or real tiger poo poo was so dumb

it was real for Doug, but porkchop did not give a poo poo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Looked again and ok my laptop is about 100 bucks more than the most expensive steam deck (which is the one I was originally thinking of getting) but it’s got an rtx 3050, 144hz screen, came with windows, and is way easy to upgrade the ram and storage on. Totally worth the bit more money unless the fork factor is really the deal breaker

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

That battery life sounds rough but then again my 2mo old laptop cost about three times as much, hates specifically and only my home wifi for a reason that after using the white glove tech support is still unclear, and still has about the same battery life.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

nothing will ever surpass the PS vita op

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

nothing will ever surpass the PS vita op

I agreed but then my left analog stick started drifting. When that happened on my switch (3 times) I just replaced the joycons, but it spelled the end of my vita's 5 year life

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

why does every gaming laptop have a numpad instead of more room for speakers that aren't poo poo

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Steam Dreck :xd:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

That battery life sounds rough but then again my 2mo old laptop cost about three times as much, hates specifically and only my home wifi for a reason that after using the white glove tech support is still unclear, and still has about the same battery life.

What laptop is it

If it's a Lenovo ThinkPad there's a good chance the wifi card is removable

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Gets the wrinkles out

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
penis skin vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU