Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

C-Euro posted:

There's one regular enemy that's impossible to kill without it, but that's usually the only time I use it.

There’s one other corridor where grinding is trivial if you have it, As well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The overhead weapons are good because you can bunny hop while swinging them and get a lot of range and mobility out of them.

That hallway probably needs a bat signboard at the entrance, it's clearly designed to be as loving annoying as possible without flight. Or with it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Considering how fast Balore's heat wave is and the limited range of it, I'm pretty sure if Nat simply used one or two strong jumps over it as opposed to two small jumps, he could easily bypass it no problem, Medusa Head cheese be damned.

Also, Nat's frustration with overhead swinging weapons does help me understand the people who use weaker but faster weapons in Dawn, which by contrast aren't overhead swinging. I don't get it myself, but I'm not willing to chalk it up to unbalanced game design anymore because of the sheer difference in attack power making everything else look irrelevant, it's probably intended as more of a courtesy to people who don't want to use those types of weapons.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 7, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Randomizer runners have a nickname for that room with the spikes and conveyors and everything.

It's "worst room." Full stop.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That room did look like a bunch of steaming hot bullshit, yeah. That one wasn't on Nat so much as the design itself just being cruel.

I can actually see this game being harder for someone who was incredibly good at Hollow Knight because Hollow Knight is incredibly responsive in its gameplay and has pretty tight controls, while the Castlevania games... well, they require a completely different approach due to how combat and mobility works.

Also Medusa Heads are evil bullshit even when you're good at the game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:agreed: drop the Knight into that room and watch Nat ace it on the first attempt.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Natural 20 posted:

I hope this set of episodes isn't as maddening to watch as it was to play.

No, but did you or Tea ever figure out why you were taking more damage sometimes in the spike room? You take double damage from everything while you’re petrified in most Castlevanias including Aria.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That water running hint's translation is really messed up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I like how Nat concluded the new sword's range wasn't that great without even equipping it again, since it's pretty enormous.

But yeah, that whole section with those rooms is awful. I agree that this game is way harder than Symphony of the Night.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember I alluded to how much the Ascalon can be sorta game breaking during the Symphony thread, simply because for the time you can get it, it can carry you all the way to the final boss, acquisition of endgame weapons be damned. I'll tell you what, four years later, I was not expecting Nat's long awaited tour of Aria to go so differently than what I expected.

Schwartzcough posted:

I like how Nat concluded the new sword's range wasn't that great without even equipping it again, since it's pretty enormous.

He did fiddle with the Balmung in the last episode. I'm surprised he wrote it off so fast though, it was only two points weaker than the Ascalon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
And after just getting done complaining about the attack range of the Ascalon! Come on man.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Honestly, I never cared for Balmung either, it just feels awkward to use (but then, I also rarely buy Ascalon). I usually end up using Laevateinn for a while, though, that's a good one.

I almost never sell old weapons in this game, though, because a lot of them do end up being just situational enough that you want to be able to switch.

(In other things, with all the pain you went through in the conveyor room, did you try using the Medusa head soul in there? I often find that helps.)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Explopyro posted:

(In other things, with all the pain you went through in the conveyor room, did you try using the Medusa head soul in there? I often find that helps.)

Valkyrie soul is pretty good at clearing the screen long enough to jump from one part to the next.

I was hoping he would use the Killer Mantle a bit more since it can one-shot the Red Minotaurs

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Nat attempting a jump but being too tilted to realize he can fly now gave me actual brain damage

Hope all those ignored optional upgrades don't end up biting you in the rear end...otoh that's what potions are for, I guess.

The conveyor belt room IS the worst in the game.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Nat really should do some light grinding for souls while revisiting areas with the giant bat. There are so many rooms built so you can enter, one-shot an enemy, then leave quickly to reset the room. I think a lot of Nats problems would diminish if he had the valkyrie soul.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I did some thinking, and you know what? It does hurt to see, with current game knowledge, puzzles deliberately unsolved, upgrades ungotten and so on, but when I first played this? I said "screw this" to the Worst Room, I didn't get the ball OR the direction puzzles at all, and decided to just come back later to see "if I got the right Soul to solve the puzzle". What Nat's doing actually tracks with what many players would do when encountering these rooms, I feel like. Of course, Tea knows how to solve stuff and is getting anxious for all of us who also know, but I don't think the game really intended for the player to solve these optional puzzles and made the difficulty of later areas with the rewards in mind.

So, it's fine, really.

Spritz3
May 3, 2009
Have we all chosen not to tell Nat that you can cancel ANY weapon animation by backdashing, and then cancel a backdash by jumping? It's the thing that makes slow weapons usable. I know we want to see him suffer, but... come on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spritz3 posted:

Have we all chosen not to tell Nat that you can cancel ANY weapon animation by backdashing, and then cancel a backdash by jumping? It's the thing that makes slow weapons usable. I know we want to see him suffer, but... come on.
Frankly I think he forgot that thing exists.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
As much as I wanted to see Nat clear those rooms, I'm glad he moved on instead so he didn't make himself completely salty on the game for the rest of the LP. Those rooms were not good, and if they were required for the Best Ending, I'm pretty sure Tea would have spoken up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Spritz3 posted:

That's a hassle though. Speedrunners do that for sure but I personally would just not. The weapons are plenty usable without that tactic. It's as mentioned in the video, a simple tradeoff between agile and weaker and powerful but clunkier weapons. I personally really like the latter, actually, because I tend to go for those big hits and then reposition and "plan" the next - it's not the "optimal" way to play but I like doing it. It's also why I'm not a big fan of Order of Ecclesia's combat, that's all about spamming weak attacks.

Shei-kun posted:

As much as I wanted to see Nat clear those rooms, I'm glad he moved on instead so he didn't make himself completely salty on the game for the rest of the LP. Those rooms were not good, and if they were required for the Best Ending, I'm pretty sure Tea would have spoken up.
We've seen two of the rewards, the last one for the D-Pad puzzle is the rare ring which is only nice if you're still under the assumption that luck does anything and if you want to farm a specific rare drop, but there's no real reason to do so I don't think?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Simply Simon posted:

We've seen two of the rewards, the last one for the D-Pad puzzle is the rare ring which is only nice if you're still under the assumption that luck does anything and if you want to farm a specific rare drop, but there's no real reason to do so I don't think?

The Rare Ring's bonus effect is not luck dependent, and thus works quite well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The Rare Ring's bonus effect is not luck dependent, and thus works quite well.
Yeah I formulated that poorly, it also increases luck by +5 in addition to its effect, so half of it works

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Balore is IMO the hardest boss in the game, and as has been mentioned before, those corridors before him are bullshit, the worst rooms in the game and the rewards aren't really worth the effort, I honestly am in full agreement with Nat just leaving. Going back in NG+ with 100% souls and the Chaos Ring doesn't even really make that room with the conveyors/spikes/Medusa Heads that much easier.

The Cutall (or another multi-hit weapon) does actually make the wrecking ball bit easier (or at least less tedious) though, because both hits add to the momentum of the ball.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

The Cutall (or another multi-hit weapon) does actually make the wrecking ball bit easier (or at least less tedious) though, because both hits add to the momentum of the ball.

…so does jumping so you can push it twice as fast by hitting it on both swings.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

That room did look like a bunch of steaming hot bullshit, yeah. That one wasn't on Nat so much as the design itself just being cruel.

I can actually see this game being harder for someone who was incredibly good at Hollow Knight because Hollow Knight is incredibly responsive in its gameplay and has pretty tight controls, while the Castlevania games... well, they require a completely different approach due to how combat and mobility works.

Also Medusa Heads are evil bullshit even when you're good at the game.

It's genuinely fascinating for me to see the difference in perceived difficulty for Nat in both of these games.

It reminds me of some conversations that were had in the games thread for Hollow Knight where a person first playing through the game would go "Bosses A, B and C are trivial but D is a real brick wall." only to have someone reply with "How do you even find D difficult, it's an easy test of [subskill], B is the real difficulty spike of the game." or something to that effect. Cue a long discussion about which boss was more or less bullshit and which type of skill test was more or less hard.

What's happening here to my eyes is that the movement system tests a different skillset to the point that it makes a game that is generally considered to be much easier than Hollow Knight seem like a nightmare trial. Now, Aria is not an easy game, exactly. It's one of the few modern castlevanias that come close to the difficulty of the classicvanias IMO and I couldn't have beaten it if I didn't go back to how I played those (being slow and methodical instead of trying to jump and dash all over like I'm Megaman), but it's probably a lot harder if you don't have that old skillset as a fallback already inside your head when playing more fast and risky doesn't work.

Nat gives enemies a ton of free hits constantly because he hasn't built up that skill yet. It seems that he's found an alternative to learning that skill in using weapons like the Laevateinn which suit his playstyle more. Maybe this approach will carry him through the endgame, I'm genuinely intrigued to see.

(These optional rooms are pretty bullshit though. I like what the two puzzle ones do, but the conveyor belt medusa head spike pit from hell can gently caress right off.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, I generally prefer the horizontal-swinging weapons too, the vert-swing weapons generally tend to have less reach. I'm usually using Laevatain against Balore, for example. I do like to keep a vert-swing on me for the situations that they are better (mainly Flea Men and Medusa Heads IMO) and of course the Claimh Solais is the Best Weapon because it has basically all the advantages of both types of weapons and is Holy-elemental. I think the real reason why Nat hates vert-swing weapons with such an unyielding passion is because he's already conditioned himself to expect the animation cancel from the other type and that's what really gets him hit, when he doesn't have that instant mobility upon hitting the ground.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For the hate of Dracula change weapon Nat oh tank god he found the Laevatain.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

…so does jumping so you can push it twice as fast by hitting it on both swings.

I just run back and forth and hit it from both directions as it swings. Goes fast enough if you're coordinated.

I know where the box with my GBA games are due to moving some stuff around for housework, I should replay this game to see if it's as punishing as it looks right now...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I know where the box with my GBA games are due to moving some stuff around for housework, I should replay this game to see if it's as punishing as it looks right now...
To be fair, the Arena trials are the hardest part of the game by quite a bit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair, the Arena trials are the hardest part of the game by quite a bit.

Yeah I fired back up aria as a result of the lp and then circle of the moon and the latter is much worse.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know there's a certain boss fight mechanic in Dawn that was polarizing to some, but once you got used to it, it wasn't a big deal, the sheer inconvenience of it besides. Still, if Nat ever does tackle that game, I could easily see it making him want to ragequit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

I know there's a certain boss fight mechanic in Dawn that was polarizing to some, but once you got used to it, it wasn't a big deal, the sheer inconvenience of it besides. Still, if Nat ever does tackle that game, I could easily see it making him want to ragequit.

Yeah that mechanic is terrible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

"That mechanic" is a lot more of a pain if you're playing on an emulator with a mouse, believe me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I believe there are romhacks that get rid of that. And good thing too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeeup there are, along with some of the glitches and uh, artistic choices to say the least. Though poo poo, doing that with a mouse sounds like a nightmare. Did they ever re-release Dawn on any other platforms besides the DS,? Because if so, Nat should definitely just say gently caress forking any money over to Nintendo, and just go the emulation route.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

"That mechanic" is a lot more of a pain if you're playing on an emulator with a mouse, believe me.

:emptyquote:

Short version for those that didn't play Dawn: early DS game, shoehorned (mandatory) touchscreen-only controls.

anilEhilated posted:

I believe there are romhacks that get rid of that. And good thing too.

Yup, never play Dawn without that kind of hacks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I'd love to get a DS Castlevania collection on PS4 or the like, but I'm not sure how they'd handle the dumb touchscreen controls.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Simply Simon posted:

Wait, what? I've been replaying the game, and thought that keeping luck up would help me farm souls and weapons. I got a ton of souls and 2 Mystletain drops, one Levatain drop, various other weapons and armors, thanks to the Rare Ring and Ghost Dancer soul. Or did I actually had real life good luck?

I hope Nat gets either a Catoblepas soul or the sword that stones enemies. I've been trying it and there's a larger number of enemies that can get stoned than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There was a bit more detailed talk behind spoilers earlier in the thread, but in short: Rare Ring works fine, Luck is completely worthless.