Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rosalie_A posted:

Peeping Eye is an enemy in basically every single Castlevania...except SotN where it only shows up as a background element.

Yup. But it's there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Nat, Benjamins are $100 bills, which have Benjamin Franklin on them.

Gnoman posted:

So, funny thing. When I played this, I never realized that you could get a free heal from Mina. So I ran around the zombie corridor with the Persephone soul to heal instead.

I just always went to that first save point closest to the entrance. I forget how long it took me to realize the free heal but I had forgotten until I saw Nat do it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gnoman posted:

I hatehatehatehate this area of the game.

...I hate the Clock Tower more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bruceski posted:

American bills are 100 (Benjamin), 50 (Grant), 20 (universally loathed genocidal racist Jackson), 10 (Hamilton), 5 (Lincoln) and 1 (Washington)

This is $2 (Jefferson) erasure, as well as dismissing the hallowed memory of past $500 (McKinley), $1000 (Cleveland), $5000 (Madison), $10,000 (Chase), and $100,000 (Wilson) (Wilsons never actually circulated but were used for Federal Reserve bank transactions).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

IMO Nat is underleveled for this part of the game, but maybe that's about to be solved!

I tend to agree - I started a replay after inspiration from the thread and ended up a few levels ahead of Nat by where the video series ends.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I think Nat is doing what's best for LP pacing - he pushes on without repeating content, he just cuts out long walks back if it's boring, and it's more exciting to think "oh drat he hasn't saved in ages and is out of potions noooo". But that's where the discrepancy to casual play comes in, I think.

One other thing I realized and took away for my current play through was to actually use potions…they are just $200 to hammer after all. Too much giant robotic crab syndrome I guess, and it’s a shame because clearly I knew the bosses were signaled…

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

The other fast little fucker? People here who've played this game know exactly who I'm talking about.

IIRC this one wrecked me until I switched weapons for maximum range in a melee weapon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Marluxia posted:

Re levels, it does up your damage and one less hit that you need to make against Death is one less chance to screw up and it reduces the time you spend in each phase.

Levels also up your defense and one more hit you can take is one more chance you have to screw up without losing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

There are only a few offensive souls that are better than the Nightmare, and even then with it's cheap MP cost, power, and range, it's still a contender for endgame.

I ended up using the one the game strongly encourages you to use out of inertia. Flame Demon

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

On the plus side, not having makes at least one later fight much more interesting.

Huh. Which fight - I never used that soul?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Julius. It's got just enough range to keep you safe while still doing damage.

e: I also thought they're weak to Dark but that is apparently not the case.

Got it. Balmung is a plausible substitute and god knows they are strong against Holy, aka Claimh Solais.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

There's one regular enemy that's impossible to kill without it, but that's usually the only time I use it.

There’s one other corridor where grinding is trivial if you have it, As well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I hope this set of episodes isn't as maddening to watch as it was to play.

No, but did you or Tea ever figure out why you were taking more damage sometimes in the spike room? You take double damage from everything while you’re petrified in most Castlevanias including Aria.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

The Cutall (or another multi-hit weapon) does actually make the wrecking ball bit easier (or at least less tedious) though, because both hits add to the momentum of the ball.

…so does jumping so you can push it twice as fast by hitting it on both swings.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair, the Arena trials are the hardest part of the game by quite a bit.

Yeah I fired back up aria as a result of the lp and then circle of the moon and the latter is much worse.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

I know there's a certain boss fight mechanic in Dawn that was polarizing to some, but once you got used to it, it wasn't a big deal, the sheer inconvenience of it besides. Still, if Nat ever does tackle that game, I could easily see it making him want to ragequit.

Yeah that mechanic is terrible.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Explopyro posted:

Claiomh Solais is completely busted, for most of the reasons you've outlined, but also because it has Holy element on it so it hits weakness damage on nearly everything.

The exception, of course, is Julius and we’ll see him real soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Explopyro posted:

Julius resists holy, so this is the one fight where Claimh Solais is a bad idea; Kaladbolg is generally considered the best weapon to use against him.

I like Balmung for its obscene range in this fight.