Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Well, here we are again. About a year ago, I tried to do a playthrough of the entire Half-Life series. It was honestly spreading my net out way too wide, since I felt like I had to include all the side games and other things that sprang out of Half-Life, and I just ended up burning myself out about three games in.

Instead, I'm going to do something a little bit more manageable and just restrict myself to a single game and its immediate sequels that run on the same game engine. And hey, best of all, these ones have their own subtitles, so that's fantastic.

A Short Background

The original Half-Life was released in 1997 by Valve Software. Considered a monument in storytelling, the game featured no cutscenes, no text crawls, and no breaks in perspective from the main character. All information you received was only the things that you learned from the perspective of Gordon Freeman, theoretical physicist, as he tried desperately to find a way out of the Black Mesa Research Facility after an experiment gone really, REALLY wrong brings about an alien invasion.

The game was a smash hit that shattered all perceptions of how a shooter game should be, and Valve immediately set about producing yet another revolution in the industry; a process that would take seven years. That seems like not a very long time, but in that span, the landscape of FPS gaming was changing rapidly. Not just graphically, but also in terms of gameplay and narrative design. Deus Ex had come out in 2000, Halo in 2001, and people were expecting darker, deeper plots with cool new game mechanics, expansive worlds, and realistic, sympathetic characters.

And boy did Valve provide. Released in 2004, Half-Life 2 was a massive hit, creating new innovations in video game physics and launching an entire new storyline that has carried through to the rest of the games surrounding it. The Source Engine and its Havok Physics accompaniment have been tremendously influential in the designs of countless games, FPS or not, in the industry. Games like Dead Space, Dark Souls, Doom Eternal, Just Cause, Super Smash Bros, and so on all use Havok in some form or the other.

Narratively, the game introduced a number of ideas that have also persisted. In particular, the idea of companion characters who would guide the player around, perform actions on their behalf, and generally would be as vital a part of the story as the character you're controlling. Previously, characters in the Half-Life universe were generally just tagalongs who served no purpose other than unlocking certain doors and were, by and large, treated as laughable jokes who'd die in often-amusing ways. Now, there are characters you're expected to sympathize and bond with, building a friendship over the course of the story. We'll see how that worked out in practice.

But even bigger than that, the method of its delivery through Valve's digital Steam platform launched a brand new paradigm in how video games were sold and are sold even to this day. I can't LP the Steam platform, obviously, but it's just about as important to this era of gaming as Half-Life 2 itself, since digital distribution has become industry standard, whether on PC or on consoles. Everything has a platform now.

In a sense, Half-Life 2 was the killer app that created gaming as we know it, and I'm going to try to do it justice. Oh boy.

The Format

As with my previous Half-Life series videos, I'm going to be doing voice commentary over video, though it may be rather sparse when there's a lot that's going on, because Half-Life 2 is a game that speaks very well for itself on many occasions. Perhaps it speaks a bit too much at times, but we'll get to that.

I'm going to be trying for once a week on this, schedule permitting. Chapters in this game generally fit comfortably within 30-45 minute chunks, which will be about the length of an average video. Of course, that being said, these videos won't be exhaustive. This game has a lot of amazing environmental detail, and also lots of occasions where you're expected to be in motion, so there's a possibility that something cool might be missed. I'll try to splice in anything particularly important that I don't catch in my first take.

As stated above, I'm going to be playing the immediate sequels for Half-Life 2 as well as the main game. So that's HL2, then Episodes 1 and 2. I might do some bonus content on top of that, but I'm trying to avoid the same sort of stressful schedule that ended up cutting my last project short, so probably not a whole lot of that. We'll see how it goes.

Spoiler Policy

:siren: :siren: No plot or gameplay spoilers, please. :siren: :siren:

If you want to talk about behind-the-scenes stuff, development, cut content, old beta versions of the game, then sure, go hog wild. But HL2 and the episodes have some pretty significant twists and surprises, so please wait until we get there before talking about it.

Anyhow, let's get started.

Table of Contents

Half-Life 2

Part 1: Point Insertion + A Red Letter Day
Part 2: Route Kanal
Part 3: Water Hazard p1
Part 4: Water Hazard p2
Part 5: Black Mesa East
Part 6: We Don't Go to Ravenholm
Part 7: Highway 17 p1
Part 8: Highway 17 p2
Part 9: Sandtraps
Part 10: Nova Prospekt
Part 11: Entanglement
Part 12: Anticitizen One p1
Part 13: Anticitizen One p2
Part 14: Follow Freeman
Part 15: Our Benefactors
Part 16: Dark Energy

HL2: Episode One

Part 1: Undue Alarm

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Reserved for...something. Not sure what yet. I'm reserving it anyhow.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Welcome to City 17! Come for the forced relocations, stay for the beatings. This part of the game changed dramatically from when the game started development. Originally, there'd be a lot more walking around, taking in the sights, learning more about the nature of the world around you, and not a lot of shooting things, but as Valve are prone to do, they ended up throwing out a bunch of ideas because while they sounded great in concept, practically speaking they'd be a horrendous chore to play through.

Not much to say here about the gameplay. Like Half-Life 1 and Blue Shift, this first couple of chapters is meant to ease you into your situation, introducing you to the world you're living in and giving you a basic feel for the controls. You will notice though that we're working on a whole new game engine. It's seven years since GoldSrc, and Valve has tossed it out in favor of Source, featuring all-new real-time physics which are dang impressive even to this day. I won't call it "realistic", per se, since it has its own quirks which we'll see once the action gets started, but when you consider that its contemporary was Doom 3, the technical achievements of this system are phenomenal.

Also, say hi to pretty much the entire cast of the game, give or take. We'll be learning a lot more about them as we progress, especially Alyx Vance. She's...fairly important to the plot, to say the least.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I <3 Sassy Barney

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Gordon was not a lowly lab tech. He was going to be a researcher on the Anomalous Materials brought from Xen.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, yeah, but his job consisted of pushing a box.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Effective as this opening sequence is, I do feel it goes on a bit too long before giving the player any options besides running, moving objects, and watching people talk.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Yeah, I realized that I might be underestimating Gordon's position after I said that, but it didn't seem worth going back for a second take. Nonetheless, I can't imagine him ever coming face to face with Dr. Breen.

By the way, another thing I failed to mention (and probably drowned out) is that playing with the playground rides causes a ghostly sound clip to play of laughing children. The original plot was going to have children working in factories making weapons of war, but it was eventually decided (possibly because of content concerns) to remove kids entirely and explain that the Combine are using some kind of "suppression field" to remove people's ability to get it on.

Yes, there's an invisible anti-sex emitter in this universe. Trust me, it's nowhere near the weirdest thing we'll encounter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Effective as this opening sequence is, I do feel it goes on a bit too long before giving the player any options besides running, moving objects, and watching people talk.

I've heard Many people call hl2 a walking sim where you occasionally shoot a gun, and I can definitely see their point. It doesn't surprise me that valve initially planned to go full on walking sim at the start, even if they later cut it because the market wasn't really ready for that back then. (Especially as a sequel to a famous shooty game)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Welcome! To City 17!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centres.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Whether you are here to stay, or passing through to parts unknown, welcome, to City 17. It's safer here.

In completely unrelated news, here's an update about explosions.

Ah, the life of a City 17 Metrocop. You wake up, go to work, receive your regulation stun prod, pistol, 55-gallon drum of gasoline, commit a few atrocities, then break for lunch. Sure, you can barely shoot straight and your armor's only effective against small arms at best, but as long as a very angry man in an orange suit doesn't show up brandishing a crowbar, you'll be fine.

Seriously though, Route Kanal is a definite bit of catharsis as you chew through fairly easy enemies, cause physics-related mishaps left and right, and generally feel like a guy who, by his reckoning, just halted a previous alien invasion an hour ago. Gordon Freeman in Half-Life 1 was an accidental hero who defeated giant monsters and entire armies because they were between him and a way out of the situation he was caught in. Not so in this game. Everyone knows who you are, and they either look up to you or are rightfully concerned. The game carries Gordon's Messianic parallels right on its sleeve, and it's going to play it entirely without a trace of irony.

We also get a brief moment to converse with the Vortigaunts, now siding with the resistance and apparently quite knowledgeable about the greater mysteries at play. Our actions in the previous game freed them from their servitude to the Nihilanth, and considering they'd be the only ones who witnessed our feats on Xen, it stands to reason that they're the ones who've hyped up "The Freeman"'s reputation. At least that means that we won't have any problems with getting people to give us stuff.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 10, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is it intentional that this video is only available in 360p?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Cythereal posted:

Is it intentional that this video is only available in 360p?

Hmm...no, that shouldn't be the case. I've been recording this game in 720p. Let me see if I can figure out what the problem is on that. Might have to reupload or something.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
YouTube renders lower video qualities first. The higher res versions may not be ready.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(it says "Quality Unavailable" for me atm... i am on mobile. Give it time Video only went up 2 hours ago).

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I seem to recall from many years ago paying attention to the radio chatter: it seems the Combine view City 17 as an organism, with Freeman being some sort of infectious invader/carcinogenic compound and the cops as white blood cell equivalents. And who cares when you lose a few white blood cells? Thus their lack of beefiness. They're meant to be expendable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, it's not directly stated anywhere, but this all kicks off with the Combine detecting a miscount in the number of people present. That miscount is almost certainly supposed to be Gordon himself. Just by being there, he's kicking off a mess.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

idhrendur posted:

I seem to recall from many years ago paying attention to the radio chatter: it seems the Combine view City 17 as an organism, with Freeman being some sort of infectious invader/carcinogenic compound and the cops as white blood cell equivalents. And who cares when you lose a few white blood cells? Thus their lack of beefiness. They're meant to be expendable.

Yeah, that would definitely follow. Building on that analogy, you can hear the Overwatch operator dispatch Civil Protection units to "innoculate" or "sterilize" areas where you've been spotted, which basically means shooting everyone. By the same token, CP units also have multiple lines where they use various legal terms like "judge" and "prosecute" that are ALSO stand-ins for shooting everyone. Sort of a one-track mind.

Also, I checked on the video quality again, and I think I'm just going to try a reupload. It doesn't appear to be processing like it should, and it usually doesn't take this long to do so. I'm going to be recording in 1080p for the next video, which will hopefully fix this.

e: Okay, new video's up. We're in business.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 10, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group combine. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think one reason this game's intro drags so badly next to HL1's is that HL1's was setting a mood - and not much else. HL1's plot was, by design, thin on the ground and had next to no characters. HL2 has a bigger world, a bigger plot, and a cast of characters, and wants you to meet all of them before the action starts. HL1's intro also does a good job of teaching you how to get around the world before the shooting starts. HL2's introduces you to the physics and not much else.

I think HL2's intro really should have asked more of the player and been more interacting in a gameplay sense, instead of mostly just walking in a straight line and watching NPCs talk.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Cythereal posted:

I think one reason this game's intro drags so badly next to HL1's is that HL1's was setting a mood - and not much else. HL1's plot was, by design, thin on the ground and had next to no characters. HL2 has a bigger world, a bigger plot, and a cast of characters, and wants you to meet all of them before the action starts. HL1's intro also does a good job of teaching you how to get around the world before the shooting starts. HL2's introduces you to the physics and not much else.

I think HL2's intro really should have asked more of the player and been more interacting in a gameplay sense, instead of mostly just walking in a straight line and watching NPCs talk.

I would agree that Half-Life 2's introduction isn't really that good at keeping the player's attention. They're attempting to follow Halo 1's example and teach the controls through example, and so there's a bit of a slow burn as you're being guided through very basic obstacles in a narrative-friendly way.

For instance, rather than going through a tutorial on climbing ladders and stacking objects, we have the interrogation room sequence where you have to climb up to the second level and then shove some boxes up to a window. And that will naturally cause you to cushion your fall by landing on a box, which comes in handy here in Route Kanal, where you can fall onto a slanted pallet and avoid fall damage that way.

Could the player have been tutorialized in a more action-packed way? Yeah, probably, but I think Valve was very concerned about people being stressed or panicked and missing the lessons they were trying to teach.

e: Regarding the physics though, one of the thread titles I was considering was "Pick Up That Can"

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 11, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if Valve's writers originated it but "wake up and smell the ashes" remains a very good turn of phrase.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I never actually played HL2; seeing it in detail for the first time now, for me it's more that the intro feels longer than it really is because of the linear feel of the maps so far. Everything up until maybe that room with the water puzzle has been pushing the player very strongly in a single direction with some shooting. I mean, it looks fun enough, but my mind is subconsiously filing everything as "intro" until the gameplay loop becomes more like HL1 - put the player in a segment of map with several connected areas and some small puzzles, then let them work out how to escape/progress - if that ever happens.

I think I'm also a bit biased because I loved HL1's vibe of the player just being some regular-ish fellow stuck in the middle of a catastrophe and for the most part just trying to survive and escape, rather than what they seem to be doing here with some kind of unconventional freedom fighter sci-fi war story. Maybe what I really want is for someone to make a decent video game based on Die Hard or maybe MacGyver.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's really easy to forget how much of a resource hog Half-Life 2 was back in the day. Over the years there have been numerous updates to the base Source engine that helped it run better, but back in 2004, only the beefiest of machines could run it smoothly at max settings. Plus the 1.0 version was an unoptimized mess, loading times sometimes lasted over a minute, and of course you had to install the then-new Steam to even play the thing.

I distinctly remember a Flash comedy video from the mid 2000s where the villains' supercomputer was so powerful, it could run two copies of Half-Life 2 at once while still having enough RAM left over for a game of Solitaire while they loaded.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

theenglishman posted:

It's really easy to forget how much of a resource hog Half-Life 2 was back in the day. Over the years there have been numerous updates to the base Source engine that helped it run better, but back in 2004, only the beefiest of machines could run it smoothly at max settings. Plus the 1.0 version was an unoptimized mess, loading times sometimes lasted over a minute, and of course you had to install the then-new Steam to even play the thing.

I distinctly remember a Flash comedy video from the mid 2000s where the villains' supercomputer was so powerful, it could run two copies of Half-Life 2 at once while still having enough RAM left over for a game of Solitaire while they loaded.

Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 in 2004, F.E.A.R. in 2005, Crysis in 2007...there were some brutally demanding on hardware games released in a short period of time.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I never got around to playing this until Half-Life: Alyx came out and it was available for free for a little while. I enjoyed it but my main impression was one of "wow, I remember way back when this came out and all this stuff was cutting-edge technology." Fortunately I tend to be pretty terrible at FPS games and so I found some of the combat set-pieces later in the game to present rather novel and difficult problems to overcome.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2022

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Yes, Part 1. Chapters are getting longer in this game so I broke it in half.

Water Hazard is an exciting vehicle chapter with cool stunts and thrilling action...for about a third of it. I don't know why Valve decided this, but in their infinite wisdom, they constantly put roadblocks in your path and forced you to take a detour in order to proceed. This is not entirely dissimilar from the tram line chapters in the GoldSrc games, and those were letdowns too in many respects. Not to mention the fact that this chapter is not very visually appealing, in my opinion. The colors are very muted and there aren't a lot of things to catch one's eye.

When putting together the commentary for this chapter, I realized that I had very little to say about it on my own. So to help relieve some of the boredom, I've invited a friend. Say hello to Nine-Gear Crow, who'll be assisting me through this brown, sludgy, stop-and-go...ish mess of a chapter. Crow and I have previously collaborated on his LP's of the Ace Combat series, and I helped to contribute one of the offshoot games: Ace Combat Advance on the GBA. I would highly recommend giving Crow's LP series a look. You wouldn't think that a series about piloting fighter planes could get anime, but boy does it deliver.

Not much to talk about regarding the chapter itself, except that we get a couple new weapons. Hand grenades are unfortunately cylinder-shaped in this game, so they roll around, they get stuck on things, they have like a five second timer, and so on. They compensate by having a super wide explosion radius and doing a lot of damage, but it's hard to just throw them out in the middle of a fight since you can't predict where they'll land and whether they'll explode anywhere near what you throw them that. They're not as bad as the grenades in Doom 3, but what is, really? There will be a way to make grenades easier to use, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And the Colt Python magnum revolver is the big boom hand cannon that it's always been. I'd use it more if not for one very important thing: this game is a miser with how many reloads you're allowed to carry. Despite ammo for it being surprisingly abundant, Gordon refuses to hold more than 12 rounds in reserve, meaning you can run dry in the blink of an eye. This is a problem that all guns in this game have to deal with one way or another, but the revolver feels the pain the most of all.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I really like water hazard, possibly even more than route canal, because of how effectively it's setting up the massive scale ecocide that's been going on since gordon went into suspended animation. There's another level that's basically my favorite in terms of worldbuilding in that sense but we'll get there.
But since the first chapter the game is slowly zooming out, broadening the scope and letting you see more and more of the world - and how completely hosed it is. Revisiting Hl2 as an adult, it's an insanely bleak setting, let me just say.

For instance the barn station, look at the pier. Look how tall it is wrt where you are. Look at the defunct ships that pepper the canals. Those walls were supposed to be embankments. The water was supposed to fill them to the brim. Where the gently caress is all the water gone. It is pretty unsettling to traverse these environments, and see how poo poo just gets worse. You are traversing pieces of what seem to be acqueducts at more than one point, water tunnels that are not supposed to be empty like that for you to just sail in.

Also they don't really lean much into the newspeak dictatorship thing since you don't spend more than a few minutes in a peaceful setting but I remember someone who dug into the game files and came up with a lot of the poo poo the Combine police are saying, like calling bullets 'verdicts' and the AI voice that gives them orders occasionally saying some intensely creepy stuff. Very little of this comes across through the din of firefights but it is another little detail. Valve are (were?) in another class in this respect.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You missed a Lambda cache! Right after the floaty ramp puzzle, there's a series of sewer grates where some Combine drop down to ambush you, one of the sewer grates has been popped off. If you stop and jump out, there's a supply cache in the open tunnel along with a zombie or two.

I remember back when this game first launched, someone did an analysis of the game's geography and apparent climate, and the best guess for City 17 is that we're in Saint Petersburg.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Cythereal posted:

You missed a Lambda cache! Right after the floaty ramp puzzle, there's a series of sewer grates where some Combine drop down to ambush you, one of the sewer grates has been popped off. If you stop and jump out, there's a supply cache in the open tunnel along with a zombie or two.

Oh, huh. Yeah, you're right. And further up ahead, there are a couple of caches during the helicopter chase that I also blew on by. Thanks for the heads-up, and I'll throw those in as an addendum to the second half.

mortons stork posted:

I really like water hazard, possibly even more than route canal, because of how effectively it's setting up the massive scale ecocide that's been going on since gordon went into suspended animation. There's another level that's basically my favorite in terms of worldbuilding in that sense but we'll get there.
But since the first chapter the game is slowly zooming out, broadening the scope and letting you see more and more of the world - and how completely hosed it is. Revisiting Hl2 as an adult, it's an insanely bleak setting, let me just say.

For instance the barn station, look at the pier. Look how tall it is wrt where you are. Look at the defunct ships that pepper the canals. Those walls were supposed to be embankments. The water was supposed to fill them to the brim. Where the gently caress is all the water gone. It is pretty unsettling to traverse these environments, and see how poo poo just gets worse. You are traversing pieces of what seem to be acqueducts at more than one point, water tunnels that are not supposed to be empty like that for you to just sail in.

Also they don't really lean much into the newspeak dictatorship thing since you don't spend more than a few minutes in a peaceful setting but I remember someone who dug into the game files and came up with a lot of the poo poo the Combine police are saying, like calling bullets 'verdicts' and the AI voice that gives them orders occasionally saying some intensely creepy stuff. Very little of this comes across through the din of firefights but it is another little detail. Valve are (were?) in another class in this respect.

Mhm, me and Crow talk about it more in the next update, but if you pay attention, there are some definite signs that something squirrelly is going on with the water levels. I love a lot of those minor details that the game doesn't call out but creep into the back of your mind if you stop to think about them. Half-Life 2's environmental storytelling is top-notch and I just wish that there was more that the player could actually connect with instead of just being a silent spectator. But I'll be griping more about that when we get to the next long stretch of ingame dialogue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Our Benefactors are killing the entire world in a slow-motion apocalypse and the environmental storytelling through level and scene design and dialogue is brilliant. One of the strongest points of the game on how much you are learning about the situation without even realizing it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blastinus posted:

I don't know why Valve decided this, but in their infinite wisdom, they constantly put roadblocks in your path and forced you to take a detour in order to proceed.

I don't think it's that hard to figure out why - riding the hovercraft you blow through a lot of terrain very quickly. With the hardware of the day there's only so much they could load at once so stopping you regularly to solve a puzzle or fight a battle means you're not sitting at a loading screen every thirty seconds.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To this day I wish the SMG originally came with like... 1.5x more max ammo and that warehouse fight is a big reason why. Mods and file edits are there now of course but not back then.

Anyways I think the only egregious mandatory detour in Water Hazard is the floating ramp, the fan boat itself is not enough to sustain a level for long.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Now that we've reached Water Hazard, I can share with our younger goons one of the great moments in LP history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_EKaFvM1NM

(For context: this uses a variant of the popular HL2 mod SMOD which gives you new weapons, mixes up enemy placement, and most importantly, adds a Duke Nukem-style kick!)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blastinus posted:

And the Colt Python magnum revolver is the big boom hand cannon that it's always been. I'd use it more if not for one very important thing: this game is a miser with how many reloads you're allowed to carry. Despite ammo for it being surprisingly abundant, Gordon refuses to hold more than 12 rounds in reserve, meaning you can run dry in the blink of an eye. This is a problem that all guns in this game have to deal with one way or another, but the revolver feels the pain the most of all.
I honestly don't get this game's weapon design at all. Apart from the trademark weapon and the revolver which, as you wrote, gets crippled by Gordon's shallow pockets, all the guns in HL2 are shooter mainstays and boring as hell. Sure, HL1's more obscure weapons lacked practicality, but you could almost always find a fun use for them at some point.

It's one of the main reasons why I still think HL1 is the better game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly don't get this game's weapon design at all. Apart from the trademark weapon and the revolver which, as you wrote, gets crippled by Gordon's shallow pockets, all the guns in HL2 are shooter mainstays and boring as hell. Sure, HL1's more obscure weapons lacked practicality, but you could almost always find a fun use for them at some point.

It's one of the main reasons why I still think HL1 is the better game.

HL2 only clicked for me when I figured out how to use the console to let me play the game with the weapon you normally get only for the very last stretch of the game.

The physics puzzles also get really tedious at times.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Since we're doing a two-fer this time around, why not have the update a little early?

Ah, how the turns have tabled. While we were by no means defenseless, our method of fighting back on the airboat mostly depended on folks being stupid enough to jump down right in front of a moving vehicle. This second half is a proactive and cathartic finale, culminating in a... mano-a-mano doesn't work here... roboto-a-airboto battle with the helicopter? It's slick, is what it is. Half-Life 2 doesn't really have a lot of strict boss battles. It's not the game's strong suit, but this would probably be the best one of the game. It's all downhill from here, boss-wise.

We also get to meet an optional but very chatty friend. The unnamed Vortigaunt in the cave, known to fans as the All-Knowing Vortigaunt, is a huge reservoir of information that sheds some light on what happened following the events of HL1 and a summary of the first game's ending from their perspective. The Vortessence and the interconnectivity of the Vortigaunts to one another is touched on in other places, but this is where it's spelled out in full, albeit somewhat cryptically. I missed talking to this guy when I first got this game in the mid-2000's, and as a result, a lot of the stuff regarding the Vortigaunts was just like "yeah, okay, I guess they can do that now." I can't guarantee that everything will make sense regardless, but hopefully the Vortessence is enough of a handwave that you can accept whatever happens from here on out.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
So, I have a quick question for folks in the thread. I've been considering just swapping to subtitles since I've been looking back at my updates and noticing a lot of umms and "like" and other things that are probably really distracting and hard to listen to. So my question is, what's been your impression of the commentary? Is it as difficult to listen to as I think it is?

I'm okay with swapping mid-LP. I just want to know if my voiced commentary is bad enough to merit it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think the voiced commentary is fine, no need to change unless you want to.