Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Based on the book Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s by Jeff Pearlman (found here) and exec produced by Adam Mckay after a split from Will Ferrell based on casting the Larry Bus, it chronicles the 1980s Showtime era of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team, featuring notable NBA stars Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Here's a funny bit from the wiki:

On April 20, 2014, Ice Age 2-screenwriter Jim Hecht flew across the country to the home of sportswriter Jeff Pearlman. He pitched an adaptation of Pearlman's best-seller Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty that would be similar to Friday Night Lights. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Hecht brought Pearlman a bottle of nonalcoholic wine, a block of chocolate, and a tomato as an offering to convince Pearlman to sell him the rights to the book. "I had no money, so if he'd been like, '$30,000,' I would've been screwed," Hecht recalled. Pearlman, who had optioned several of his books where "nothing ever happened", agreed to let Hecht shop his book around town for a year. In 2015, producer Kevin Messick convinced Adam McKay to direct the pilot and produce.[36]

As a non-basketball fan, Winning Time has been the surprise hit of the year so far. Funny, biting, dramatic and hilarious, it places you rooting for certifiable underdogs near collapsing under debt and expectations. The feel bad for a billionaire show of the season.

Winning Time has just been renewed for a second season, so it's time to start a thread on this great show, and see if they actually score a win on their season finale. I'll stop now.

Gif time!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love the hell out if this show and I can’t stand the goddamn Lakers. But it was perfectly cast; especially Dr. Steve Brule as Dr. Jerry Buss and Jason Clarke as Jerry West.

Last night’s episode was great. Jack McKinney shouting “gently caress my diiiiick!” after coming out of the coma. :lol:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I honestly have no idea if this show is actually good but it’s charismatic as hell and a very enjoyable watch

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This show is a very fun Sunday night diversion.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Very watchable and fun show

Nitpicking since just about all the dialogue is made up the Norm Nixon country jokes don’t really land when he grew up in Macon, Georgia in the 50s and 60s lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I can totally envision Jerry West losing his goddamn mind at a radio broadcast of a basketball game in the back of a limo.

That man hates the Celtics.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 18, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gonz posted:

I can totally envision Jerry West losing his goddamn mind at a radio broadcast of a basketball game in the back of a limo.

That man hates the Celtics.

That episode brought back some memories of going to the Garden. It did a great job capturing the feel of the city and its people.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

I honestly have no idea if this show is actually good but it’s charismatic as hell and a very enjoyable watch

exactly. I think it's good when it's exploring the relationships between characters, like Dr Buss and his daughter, or briefly Kareem and Magic's dad, but the rest of it? poo poo it's fun to watch so that's all I care about.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That scene between Kareem and Magic’s dad was excellent yeah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That episode brought back some memories of going to the Garden. It did a great job capturing the feel of the city and its people.

lol, love how it crystalizes my feeling towards Boston.

Jason Clarke is loving amazing in this. I didn't know he could do comedy.

Is Larry Bird really that much of an rear end in a top hat?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shageletic posted:

lol, love how it crystalizes my feeling towards Boston.

Jason Clarke is loving amazing in this. I didn't know he could do comedy.

Is Larry Bird really that much of an rear end in a top hat?

Yeah Clarke is really good and just disappears into the character.

As for Larry? I don't know. I'm not too familiar with him. From what I've seen in documentaries he was a 'normal' dude who mowed his own lawn and poo poo. There was definitely a rivalry between them but eventually they became good friends with Magic. Maybe that's something they'll get into eventually.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Larry and Magic played against each other in college, and played against each other in the NCAA Finals in 1979. He was also famous for being an all-time trash talker so I think he definitely had an rear end in a top hat streak but he and Magic had and have a genuine affection for each other I think pre-dating their pro days.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Larry had a bit of a professional feud with Magic up until the mid 80’s when they got to know each other better (and became friends) while filming a commercial for Converse (which depicted them as bitter enemies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkwzqG4How

When Bird retired, Magic showed up at Bird’s retirement press conference and described him in glowing terms, and when Magic was inducted into the HOF, Bird was the guy who formally inducted him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Also, Magic deciding to take 100,000 bucks a year from Converse instead of Phil Knight’s Nike offer ($100,000 in stock options and $1 for each shoe sold) cost Magic $5,200,000,000.

Magic, to this day, says he gets angry when he sees Nike stores at malls because it reminds him of that deal.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know much about basketball in the 80s, should I read the book for extra context or can I go straight in to watching the show?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ultrabindu posted:

I don't know much about basketball in the 80s, should I read the book for extra context or can I go straight in to watching the show?

The show tells you what you need to know. You could check out the book in addition to the Celtics/Lakers 30 for 30.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

The show tells you what you need to know. You could check out the book in addition to the Celtics/Lakers 30 for 30.

Keep in mind the show constantly changes factual details for minor narrative points.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

I know absolutely nothing and I'm having a ball with it. They tell you everything you need, anything else is just icing

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Paul Westhead has to be watching like “WHAT THE gently caress “

They are painting him as a generational loser

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Gave the show a try after hearing good things about it but I didn't like it at all. It's a bunch of trite sports drama tropes wrapped up in Adam McKay's condescending style.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the problem is Buss and Magic need to be our protagonists and thus Westhead needs to be a sort of antagonist in order for him to get fired and it not being the machinations of a prima donna star and a meddling owner.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I think the problem is Buss and Magic need to be our protagonists and thus Westhead needs to be a sort of antagonist in order for him to get fired and it not being the machinations of a prima donna star and a meddling owner.

Westhead didn't get fired until his third season with the lakers. If anything he's going to get a redemption arc this season and Buss and Magic's stories are going to get darker.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The pushback has started

Think piece article by Kareem on how much he dislikes the show and Jerry West is demanding an apology and retraction even though he’s coming off cool as hell to me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

algebra testes posted:

The thing I like about the show is that no one really is the antagonist (other than the Celtics).

Everyone is painted in shades of gray.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
this show is my childhood but from a lakers fan side. loving amazing. thank you for making the thread op.

and yeah larry legend always had a reputation around here of being a huge rear end in a top hat but he was our rear end in a top hat.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's good to hear that KAJ never told that kid in Airplane to gently caress off. Still a funny moment though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the_american_dream posted:

The pushback has started

Think piece article by Kareem on how much he dislikes the show and Jerry West is demanding an apology and retraction even though he’s coming off cool as hell to me
To expand on this, West sounds pretty upset about it.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning

ESPN posted:

West's lawyers allege that the series creators acted with "legal malice" because many scenes in the series showing West's purported rage did not appear in Pearlman's book and did not happen. The letter includes statements from former players such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Cooper and Jamaal Wilkes, as well as Lakers employees such as Claire Rothman, Charlene Kenney, Bob Steiner and Mitch Kupchak who worked with West during the time period covered in the show, denying that they ever saw him commit any of the rage-filled acts or drink alcohol in the office, as depicted in the series.

"Instead of exploring his issues with compassion as a way to better understand the man, they turn him into a Wile E. Coyote cartoon to be laughed at," Abdul-Jabbar said in a statement. "He never broke golf clubs, he didn't throw his trophy through the window. Sure, those actions make dramatic moments, but they reek of facile exploitation of the man rather than exploration of character."

Rothman, who ran operations at the Great Western Forum for over 20 years and is portrayed by Gaby Hoffmann in the series, said, "Jerry treated me and everyone else in the Lakers organization with dignity and respect. I never saw Jerry break or throw anything in anger or rage nor did I hear anyone ever say he did such things."

Kupchak, now the Charlotte Hornets' general manager, played for the Lakers from 1981 to 1986 and then worked alongside West in the Lakers' front office from 1986 to 2000.

"During my time with the Lakers as a player and in the front office, Jerry was always professional, even-keeled and soft-spoken," Kupchak said. "He was always positive and encouraging with me. I also found Jerry to be honest and sincere. I never saw or heard Jerry lose his temper with anyone. I also never saw or heard Jerry go on an angry rant or tirade, nor did I ever see or hear Jerry scream or yell at anyone. That was not his personality. Jerry is soft-spoken and does not like confrontation. He always keeps his composure and remains calm even when he has a disagreement with someone. Last, I've never heard or seen Jerry ever break or throw anything in anger."

West's lawyers said he is due a retraction, an apology and damages from HBO and the show's producers because "the show goes out of its way to denigrate Jerry West despite his accomplishments as an executive."

Sounds like McKay went pretty overboard with the Jerry West depiction in the show. It makes for great television but I can understand why West would be pissed about it. It is notable that the show departs significantly from the source material book on this.

But John C. Reilly's Jerry Buss is loving fantastic!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
On the other hand, you can watch Jerry West cameo in Magic Johnson's first NBA game and he looks pretty drat intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkdc9cUueE

Dr Buss also makes a cameo.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry West is in that clip for about 3 seconds. Sure he looks intensely focused on the game, but that's a far cry from throwing poo poo through a window and screaming at coworkers in an office.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

After watching the first five episodes, if I were Jerry West or the family of Chick Hearn I would be pissed because they come off bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The premiere sucked but once McKay was not in the director’s chair the most annoying tendencies were toned down a bit. Now it’s highly entertaining if not exactly great. It’s crazy how many good actors keep popping in.

Also the West portrayal as an intense control freak just seems par for the course for pro sports coaches. I agree that Chick Hearn comes off as the biggest rear end in a top hat relative to his reputation as a beloved icon.

Pat Riley and Spencer Haywood should be upset that their 30-something selves are being played by 50-year-old.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 21, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh yeah Chick Hearn is a tremendous rear end in a top hat in this show

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hearn and Westhead look terrible, Kareem is Kareem and Jerry West is coming off like an extremely competitive West Virginian

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm really enjoying this show but I kind of wonder how accurate is of the characters its potraying several coming forward to lambast their potrayal and even like Jerry West demanding a apology.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Westhead doesn't look terrible. The character is flawed and struggles with bravery but I ,er... find him intensely sympathetic.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

At this point you shouldn't believe any of the portrayals are remotely real. Except for Larry Bird.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh I know all about Larry Bird. I grew up going to Bad Boys Pistons games, which is easily the greatest sports heel faction of alltime. Bill Laimbeer could've easily been the third man at Bash at the Beach instead of Hogan.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Larry Bird comes off as a major rear end in a top hat was that just how he acted?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

nooneofconsequence posted:

At this point you shouldn't believe any of the portrayals are remotely real. Except for Larry Bird.

I refuse to believe Adrien Brody's Pat Riley isnt 100% accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What was that Last Dance quote "you bitch, gently caress you"