Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I refuse to believe Adrien Brody's Pat Riley isnt 100% accurate

The mirror shots show present-day Pat Riley, so he likely okayed this portrayal of him. I dig the 70s van he owns but expect him to trade it in for a Porsche when he slicks his hair back.

I am not sure I like that they have Spencer Haywood smoking crack in the show, there was a recent article from 2020 that stated his addiction was Cocaine and the reason for his personal issues. But we'll see, I think this episode redeemed a bit of their Jerry West, Hardass portrayal.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Larry Bird comes off as a major rear end in a top hat was that just how he acted?

Yeah he was a notorious trash talking rear end in a top hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kq53Shq1js

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I refuse to believe Adrien Brody's Pat Riley isnt 100% accurate

It's been confirmed that he never demolished his garage with a chainsaw.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ah I just found this thread. I've been watching this pretty much from the start and I love the acting. I'm glad they really toned down a lot of the 4th wall breaking poo poo after the first few episodes. That part nearly made me stop watching, but it's been a lot better recently. I could probably do without the "vintage filters" too, but it's not that obtrusive. I'm willing to forgive the creative writing for a better story, but I'd probably be pissed off if I was Jerry West too. He comes off as a little psycho in the beginning.

Can't believe this show has me rooting for the Lakers.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hollismason posted:

Larry Bird comes off as a major rear end in a top hat was that just how he acted?
Renowned trash talker but he wasn't such a taciturn prick like the show portrays him. You can tell the difference for yourself in his first actual press conference. Look, he smiles and makes jokes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FE3yA6fLBo

In real life he and Magic ended up becoming really good friends. I'm sure the show will cover that, just probably not the way it really happened.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

baalaagaa posted:

Yeah he was a notorious trash talking rear end in a top hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kq53Shq1js

yea I think for a lot of people it was a 'he does this to everyone, that's fine, I'm gonna get pissed in the moment but the game's partially mental and he's playing the game that way' thing, I'm pretty sure Magic himself has said things to that effect, but yea he's a famous absolute monster at trash talking/mind game stunts who absolutely pushed any button he knew would get a reaction. The video does a good job describing one of his favorite moves, which is to look a dude in the eye, say 'I'm gonna shoot this shot right in your face', sink it, and go 'told ya so'. Just absolutely crushing poo poo to do to a grown man on national TV.

Basically when it comes to dramatized shows like this it boils down to:

nooneofconsequence posted:

At this point you shouldn't believe any of the portrayals are remotely real. Except for Larry Bird.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I could have done with out the latest installment of Jerry Buss needing to gently caress everything that moves

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah that was pretty rapey.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bawfuls posted:

I could have done with out the latest installment of Jerry Buss needing to gently caress everything that moves

Yea that was a very low point for a guy pretty low to begin with. Only problem with this show taking so many liberties is that you don't know if that's something that really happened, or something they did just to add drama. I hope that didn't actually happen, but I can believe it did.

Must be some sort of mental thing for a guy who reveres his mother so much, but then objectifies pretty much every other woman he runs in to.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Buss's mom died before he even bought the Lakers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why do they keep having 50+ actors portraying NBA players? Dr. J looks like he should be playing at the Y. He was 30!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Yeah Wood Harris is a great actor but he'd be by far the oldest player in NBA history.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Buss's mom died before he even bought the Lakers.
from what I've read nearly all the details of Sally Field's character are made up for the show. His mother raised him alone under tough circumstances but otherwise it's fiction.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Isnt the actor playing Kareem also like a 22 year old due and playing someone who is supposed to be older than Wood Harris?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Dude playing Kareem is 43, believe it or not. He played college ball 20 years ago.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ninurta posted:

The mirror shots show present-day Pat Riley, so he likely okayed this portrayal of him. I dig the 70s van he owns but expect him to trade it in for a Porsche when he slicks his hair back.

I am not sure I like that they have Spencer Haywood smoking crack in the show, there was a recent article from 2020 that stated his addiction was Cocaine and the reason for his personal issues. But we'll see, I think this episode redeemed a bit of their Jerry West, Hardass portrayal.

The person in the mirror shots is the actor that plays Pat Riley's father in the show. I thought it was actual Pat Riley myself at first, too.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Isnt the actor playing Kareem also like a 22 year old due and playing someone who is supposed to be older than Wood Harris?

You think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was in his mid-50s in 1979, still in the NBA, and played another several years?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
30-year-olds looked 50 in the 80s

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

beejay posted:

The person in the mirror shots is the actor that plays Pat Riley's father in the show. I thought it was actual Pat Riley myself at first, too.

You think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was in his mid-50s in 1979, still in the NBA, and played another several years?

Can we can a separate thread for book readers?? Mods?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I seriously thought Kareem's actor was way younger than Spencer Haywood was at the time but I was very wrong lol

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Bip Roberts posted:

Westhead didn't get fired until his third season with the lakers. If anything he's going to get a redemption arc this season and Buss and Magic's stories are going to get darker.

Yeah this appears to be the way things are going. I wonder if the Buss family is as pissed off as Jerry West now after this latest episode. That car scene seems like an especially egregious moment to invent for "dramatic license".

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
jerry's daughter literally vomiting at the sight of her dad being a creep was a TAD on the nose

also a waste of chicken

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

beejay posted:

Ahh, thanks for that. I thought it was sort of a look into his future given the first couple times we see him he's trying to still play pick up basketball and is sort of rudderless with his life on the show.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMAO, what was with having Julius Erving wearing a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker-type hat? Was this really a thing?

I am also struck by just how much Jason Clarke resembles Jerry West, something I’d not thought about before this show

e: the actors/players they found for Magic and Kareem are great likenesses too.

This has been renewed for a second season, and I wonder if they are going to continue with the Magic-era Lakers, or jump up in to the Shaq-Kobe era, which Showtime author Jeff Pearlman wrote a different book about.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 26, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show opened with Magic announcing he’s HIV positive and has otherwise only covered one season. McKay wants to do the whole Showtime era.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Brolander posted:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Brolander posted:

as someone who collected a ton of baseball and basketball cards in the '80s, it's this.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Kareem seems not far off at all from his personality imo he may be the most accurate in the show

Thinking bout wearing my shirts like Dr. Buss

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 28, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Is there something about the Magic portrayal that doesn’t seem accurate? I haven’t read extensively on him or anything but “extremely extroverted horn dog” would be in line with my perception of him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Is there something about the Magic portrayal that doesn’t seem accurate? I haven’t read extensively on him or anything but “extremely extroverted horn dog” would be in line with my perception of him.

Based on his Twitter his lines should be more like "I had 17 points and 11 assists to go with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 29 points and 12 rebounds leading to our win against the Boston Celtics!"

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

In real life the Lakers already played Boston that season at home before the road trip and Magic scored 23 in a rout. In Boston he only had 1 point.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In real life the Lakers already played Boston that season at home before the road trip and Magic scored 23 in a rout. In Boston he only had 1 point.

Yeah, after I watched that episode I went and looked up game logs from that season. Alterations made to characters, and moving things up and back in the timeline for dramatic effect, are things I expect with docudrama type shows.

But for some reason I was really surprised to see that they are even changing the historical record of how the season played out. I couldn’t find the game where they got blown out by a bad Pistons team, either.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Dr. J cradle dunk was on Michael Cooper in real life.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I have no idea why they had to make that on Magic

The just losing to Dr J at that moment has the same effect. Also good lord they couldn’t find anyone who looks less like Erving

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

jerry's daughter literally vomiting at the sight of her dad being a creep was a TAD on the nose

also a waste of chicken

I like a lot of what this show does. I like the vague basketball stuff and the way its presented. I'm glad they aren't trying to teach people the game. Some of the characters are great and I wish we got more of them in general, Dr. J, Kareem, Spence. I hope they do a show just about Brody as Riley cause he is my favorite part of the show so far. I love watching him go from dweeb to competent coach. I hope they have him do his hair slicking thing like a power up in a movie. He puts on the white suit like Iron man and walks out to his Porsche.

All that said. The Maid storyline was probably too much for me. I found Jerry's initial conversation with the maid to be really oddly filmed. They zoomed in really close on their faces and I thought they were trying to keep something out of frame. When the daughter popped in screaming I was sure they would show Jerry having put the maids hand on his crotch. Especially after the mexican restaurant scene. What is crazy is having him acknowledge the conversation with the maid seemingly admitting she was uncomfortable. Cut to the loving car ride home and the whole lead up to him raping her I just couldn't believe they would do it. What a scumbag.

This seems like a late era GoT style HBO show. An era I didn't love.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Dr. J cradle dunk was on Michael Cooper in real life.

So was this, which is even more badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhdGihdnSKQ

Probably Doc's signature moment among many. Julius is my favorite player of all time

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I don’t recall Spencer Haywood contracting his drug dealer to put a hit out on the Los Angeles Lakers.

Like, at all.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Gonz posted:

I don’t recall Spencer Haywood contracting his drug dealer to put a hit out on the Los Angeles Lakers.

Like, at all.

he's publicly admitted to calling someone to have westhead killed but said his mom talked him down

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Wood Harris performance when Spense is talking to Cap about growing up in Mississippi was drat near an Emmy moment

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just can't imagine Will Ferrell as Dr. Buss. JCR has such a tragic air about him, in every great role he's ever played he's got some sort of hole in his soul that can never be filled and he's an expert at playing a guy who's trying to cover that up with a smile and thumbs-up.

MrMojok posted:

The Wood Harris performance when Spense is talking to Cap about growing up in Mississippi was drat near an Emmy moment

Yeah I was watching that with a couple of people and we were all dead silent during that scene. This show is just so drat good, even if it's not real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love JCR but something about him in this role just doesn't work for me. I'm really curious how Ferrell would've approached it since he is an LA sports guy and it was apparently his dream role.