Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

I love JCR but something about him in this role just doesn't work for me. I'm really curious how Ferrell would've approached it since he is an LA sports guy and it was apparently his dream role.

I don't think Farrell could pull off Buss' 'genuinely really dumb and broken guy trying to keep going on pure passion and showmanship' vibe honestly. His characters like that are much more...wholesome, JCR's the dude who brings the actual 'oh there's just nothing behind your eyes is there' vibe vs 'well meaning idiot'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just watched the scene where Buss tears into the guy about being “Doctor No”.

Yeah, Farrell was not the guy. I hope he comes around to accepting that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I keep thinking about how Ferrell would have delivered Buss's slightly panicked "You know, I'm going to tell you something I don't tell a lot of people - I'm in over my head" vs. Reilly and there's just no comparison.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Buss' 'genuinely really dumb and broken guy trying to keep going on pure passion and showmanship' vibe
What? Buss isn't supposed to be genuinely dumb. He did complete a chemistry PhD before he was 25 I think he was reasonably intelligent. I haven't gotten that vibe from the show either.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

What? Buss isn't supposed to be genuinely dumb. He did complete a chemistry PhD before he was 25 I think he was reasonably intelligent. I haven't gotten that vibe from the show either.

he has no clue what he's doing at basically every stage of this and is just riding 'I've got a lot of money (on paper)', he can be smart on one thing and dumb in another.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

he can be smart on one thing and dumb in another.

Almost all doctors are like this IRL. M.D. or otherwise

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ferrell already tackled this role with Ashley Schaefer anyway.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

he has no clue what he's doing at basically every stage of this and is just riding 'I've got a lot of money (on paper)', he can be smart on one thing and dumb in another.
yeah I wouldn't describe that as 'oh there's just nothing behind your eyes is there'

And broadly speaking his vision for the Lakers was a successful one which is why they were such an iconic team in the decade following his purchase of the franchise.

The idea that "he has no clue what he's doing at basically every stage of this" seems a bit hyperbolic. He has a vision of where he wants to go (which proved wildly successful in the end!) but is very much white-knuckling it on the way through.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 3, 2022

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I've worked in the sports industry long enough to think that Doctor Buss and his purchase of the Lakers and building it up is incredibly believable as portrayed in this show. Even today, you might be surprised how much of modern sports management is just one guy with more money than sense dictating grandiose ideas for the underlings to figure out. Ultimately, if you're not the owner or GM, your job is ultimately to bring those guys around to thinking your department's good idea was their idea all along.

That said, I am really enjoying this show. I have to catch up on the latest episode, but so far, I think they've done a pretty good job of taking enough creative liberties with the real-life characters without completely betraying their legacy. I know Jerry West's family and everyone else who was around him are royally pissed off about the show, but I felt like he becomes incredibly likable and has one of the better arcs.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did Cooper actually get knocked unconscious in game six?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MrMojok posted:

Did Cooper actually get knocked unconscious in game six?
Nah. I watched the last 5 minutes, it was basically entirely made up, except for Nixon getting a steal, but it wasn't off an inbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfaPgIc0Wsk

Also the commish didn't call Buss "Dr." when he presented the trophy, and there wasn't an MVP trophy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

For a show that likes to make up bad stuff about people, it's kind of funny to me how positive the portrayal of Jeanie Buss is. My impression is that she's generally regarded as a good or great team owner who's well liked, but playing the unappreciated talent thing up for the boss's 20 year old daughter seems silly to me.

Overall I liked the season a lot, but I do wish it stayed a bit closer to the truth both in terms of individuals and the actual basketball. Like to me either the Lakers in the 80's are interesting enough to make a show about or they aren't, and they shouldn't need to pump in as much artificial drama to keep it going. I don't expect documentary levels of factualness, but I think they went a little too over the top and hope they'll tone it down a little, as they did with some of the annoying camera/fourth wall poo poo after the first episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I know how Jerry West felt.

I attended Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, when the Red Wings were going for their first ring since 1955. I couldn’t even sit in my chair during intermissions. I walked the concourse up and down with a sick nervousness in my stomach. They won that game 2-1 and the whole fuckin’ place erupted. I’ve never seen such jubilation up to that point in my life. But until the game was over, I felt like I wanted to puke. I think it was exacerbated because I was there, as opposed to watching it on TV.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The part where Pat Riley decided to tell Magic the MVP vote totals was bad rear end. I don't care if it didn't actually happen, that was some cool TV.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Brody was the best part of the show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love that John C Reilly didn’t even try with that post show game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does anyone know if ROTY voting was really that lopsided? I suppose even if it wasn't, Riley could just make it up for motivation.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does anyone know if ROTY voting was really that lopsided? I suppose even if it wasn't, Riley could just make it up for motivation.

I looked it up because I thought they made it up, but no, it was really 63-3

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I haven't watched the episode yet, but there is a bit more to the narrative about Bird's win. The Celtics went from a really bad team to a really good team (lottery team to the best W-L in the league), where the main difference between last year's bad team and this good team was Bird, who was undoubtedly the #1 guy. Magic came to a team that was already good and made them better, but he was still #2 behind Kareem, maybe even #3 behind Nixon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn’t realize they were that bad in 78-79. There are three other Hall of Famers on that team but I guess they were all past their prime.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gonz posted:

I know how Jerry West felt.

I attended Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, when the Red Wings were going for their first ring since 1955. I couldn’t even sit in my chair during intermissions. I walked the concourse up and down with a sick nervousness in my stomach. They won that game 2-1 and the whole fuckin’ place erupted. I’ve never seen such jubilation up to that point in my life. But until the game was over, I felt like I wanted to puke. I think it was exacerbated because I was there, as opposed to watching it on TV.

It's wild to me how in real life he's the angriest about his depiction when, frankly, he's the most relatable character on the show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I really want this show to get to the point where the Showtime Lakers get dethroned by the ultimate villain. Magic Johnson's then best friend (to the point they always kissed on court until they became an actual angry rivalry) Isaiah Thomas and the Detroit Pistons. They also better do ultimate villain Bill Laimbeer's phantom foul on Kareem that messed up the Piston's threepeat.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jeff Pearlman's book I believe does go all the way through the era, and ends with Magic's HIV diagnosis. We know there will be a season two of this show, so it will be interesting to see how much time this next one covers. Surely it won't just be about the 1980-1981 season.

Thinking about how long you can realistically keep people interested in a show like this, what would make sense to me is if you could get HBO on board with two more seasons. Then you make the next one run up through the Lakers-Sixers finals in the Moses Malone era and the epic Celtics-Lakers finals of the mid-late 80s, followed by a last season showing the decline of the team and the rise of the Bad Boys. Maybe?

Then of course, Pearlman also wrote another book called Three-Ring Circus, about the Shaq-Kobe years. But this type of serialized sports historical drama would likely have run its course by then.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I didn’t realize they were that bad in 78-79. There are three other Hall of Famers on that team but I guess they were all past their prime.
Looks like there was a bunch of ownership/front office drama that led to an incredibly thin roster. But hey, it got them Kevin McHale in the draft.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm not even into basketball and found the whole season was fantastic. I don't really know the real story behind stuff though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It was really good when it stopped being mostly about Jerry Buss’ dick.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Then of course, Pearlman also wrote another book called Three-Ring Circus, about the Shaq-Kobe years. But this type of serialized sports historical drama would likely have run its course by then.

They've optioned that too, so I hope it eventually gets made. I think one stumbling block is that I don't think you can make it without presenting Kobe in a pretty negative light at least some of the time, which is obviously uncomfortable to a lot of people after his death, but maybe by the time they finish up with the Magic years people will have calmed down.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

nooneofconsequence posted:

Nah. I watched the last 5 minutes, it was basically entirely made up, except for Nixon getting a steal, but it wasn't off an inbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfaPgIc0Wsk

Cooper got absolutely laid out by Dawkins in the fourth quarter (at about 1:17:30 in the vid you posted), so it did happen, just not at such a pivotal moment in the game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AR2Q2iBeVBI&feature=youtu.be

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

They've optioned that too, so I hope it eventually gets made. I think one stumbling block is that I don't think you can make it without presenting Kobe in a pretty negative light at least some of the time, which is obviously uncomfortable to a lot of people after his death, but maybe by the time they finish up with the Magic years people will have calmed down.

Yeah it's one thing for Jerry West and Kareem to get mad but Kobe isn't around to defend himself and his fans are loving deranged so it would turn into a whole thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

In line with my other post, both eras *kind* of end with unliked Pistons teams destroying those Laker teams (they got another run 4 years after being beaten in the second era, though). I have been here so long I forgot I retired my old account and named myself Darko for calling 2004 Pistons at the beginning of that year, haha.

But yeah, you have to figure out how to handle Kobe's rape case as well, so that era can get rather iffy. It would be worth it to see who played Shaq, though, and Shaq's inevitable comments on it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

cast Shaq as himself

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As a Detroit fan I would love if multiple generations of the Lakers are shown getting their asses beat by the Pistons.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah it's one thing for Jerry West and Kareem to get mad but Kobe isn't around to defend himself and his fans are loving deranged so it would turn into a whole thing.

That's a less diplomatic and more accurate way of putting it than I did.

Darko posted:

In line with my other post, both eras *kind* of end with unliked Pistons teams destroying those Laker teams (they got another run 4 years after being beaten in the second era, though). I have been here so long I forgot I retired my old account and named myself Darko for calling 2004 Pistons at the beginning of that year, haha.

But yeah, you have to figure out how to handle Kobe's rape case as well, so that era can get rather iffy. It would be worth it to see who played Shaq, though, and Shaq's inevitable comments on it.

Even beyond the rape case, which is obviously the most explosive part, showing Kobe push out Shaq and Phil Jackson at the end would present him in a pretty unsympathetic light too, though obviously the divorce with Phil Jackson was only temporary. For comparison (I don't know if doing spoilers on real life history makes sense or not, but just out of caution), with the Winning Time Lakers Magic will shove out Westhead (though Buss said he was going to fire him anyway), but Westhead is pretty reasonably presented as a somewhat buffoonish placeholder who's warming up the seat for Pat Riley. You obviously can't do that for Phil Jackson, and it's not like Magic shoved Kareem off the team too. More generally Kobe just flat out didn't have Magic's charisma, and Shaq was easily the more likable of the two (and the better player), so when they stop getting along it's hard to see the show taking Kobe's side unless they pretend he was a totally different person than he was.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 11, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kobe was a charismatic and handsome guy who captured national attention as early as high school (he famously took Brandy to his senior prom). Shaq obviously is a larger than life figure and arguably the second most famous basketball player who ever lived, but it was really only after the rape case and dissolution of the dynasty that Kobe became known as an off-putting or abrasive figure. And he was still insanely popular as he embraced the Michael Jordan basketball psycho persona.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kobe was a charismatic and handsome guy who captured national attention as early as high school (he famously took Brandy to his senior prom). Shaq obviously is a larger than life figure and arguably the second most famous basketball player who ever lived, but it was really only after the rape case and dissolution of the dynasty that Kobe became known as an off-putting or abrasive figure. And he was still insanely popular as he embraced the Michael Jordan basketball psycho persona.
Basketball circles and rankings still put Kobe top 5 and Shaq....not. I disagree due to Shaqs pure dominance being more important than Kobes skill, so it will be super interesting to see how this is portrayed in general if it keeps getting renewed to get that far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kobe in reality is like top 20, Shaq probably top 10.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The fact that there's a whole cult of weird Kobe toadies years later speaks towards his personality.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bawfuls posted:

cast Shaq as himself

It probably was very difficult to find someone to play Kareem with his size, I can't imagine how to cast a Shaq because there is literally only him.

I finally watched the finale, and I do think the entire season has the issue of painting people who will be more important later on as important now (Jeanie Buss, Riley, Michael Cooper) to set up later seasons. Jamaal Wilkes feels like he was an afterthought to the whole season and he's a hall of famer. Julius Erving is played like a legend when he had never won a NBA title before (just two ABA titles, in a league considered a step below the NBA in talent, especially near the end) and I don't think they mention Bill Sharman had won half a dozen titles with the Celtics.

The next season should probably get them to the 1984 finals to get them to Tragic Johnson, because otherwise it's gonna take a long time to get to the real Lakers/Celtics finals.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After all is said and done this season gave us "Jerry West suing the TV show is exactly what the TV Show Jerry West would do."

Still cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Julius Erving is played like a legend when he had never won a NBA title before (just two ABA titles, in a league considered a step below the NBA in talent, especially near the end)

It’s bizarre that they cast a 50-year-old to play him like he was from Oscar Robertson’s generation or something, but I think he was already a superstar when he arrived in the NBA, at least among Black fans. Look at this crowd turning out to see him play street ball.