Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not been awful but the story of these four episodes so far should have been over in two at most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
One of my favourite plotlines in season 1 started with Westhead exploding "WE'RE NOT LOSING THIS loving GAME" then turning things around and gaining the respect of the team, so yeah the way he's been portrayed this season has been a little tough to watch. I think you could charitably look at it as this is what always happens when someone with no true leadership experience is thrust into a role they're not prepared for except magnified by a million due to the profile of the job and amount of pressure; like the majority of those people lose their minds but are given the elbow room to learn lessons and improve, except everyone above Westhead is making it abundantly clear that they don't want him in the job and are trying to gently caress him over, and he feels like he needs to lay the smack down on the only person sincerely trying to help (Riley) as he's below him in the hierarchy.

It's fun watching Westhead's frustration at Magic acting like he's above and beyond the good of the team because of his prestige and the money he's earning, considering all the rumours surrounding Segel's conduct near the end of How I Met Your Mother.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Henchman of Santa posted:

It hasn't been great but that's a really weird take. It's a show about the 1980s Lakers glory days that opens with Magic announcing his HIV diagnosis in the early 90s. Why would they only make it about the 1980 season?

Well to me, it was an excuse for John C. Reilly to ham it up and it had a very "one season miniseries" feel to me. I liked the first season, it was pretty solid, but it just didn't feel like the premise was enough to sustain a full series

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

escape artist posted:

Well to me, it was an excuse for John C. Reilly to ham it up and it had a very "one season miniseries" feel to me. I liked the first season, it was pretty solid, but it just didn't feel like the premise was enough to sustain a full series

So far the second season seems to be proving that point.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm up through the first three episodes of s2, but so far I'm a little underwhelmed after thoroughly loving season 1. Although I did really enjoy the Bird-centric third ep. Whether or not this take on Bird is accurate seems irrelevant, because he's my favorite supporting character in the show so far. I love what a surly rear end in a top hat he is, but I definitely remember in real-time back when he was playing how he was the bane of so many players' existence because he was just that loving good and never failed to let the other team know it on the court.

Other than that, I really think the first two episodes could have been condensed. I know we're building to Westhead's firing and being replaced by Riley, but in real life that happened about 6 or 7 games into the 1981-82 season.

I'm also very ready for Magic vs. Bird to get ramped up now. That was the best sports rivalry of the 80s, by far, and I'm just ready to see this version of it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

The characterisation of Bird is loving amazing and he isn't in the series enough. Him being a beer-chugging redneck who looks and behaves nothing like a professional athlete should yet completely pisses all over everyone with bare minimum effort is pretty accurate, my hope for the series is that they're able to portray how he and Johnson's relationship eventually developed into a deeply respectful rivalry then a close friendship..

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Doronin posted:

I'm also very ready for Magic vs. Bird to get ramped up now. That was the best sports rivalry of the 80s, by far, and I'm just ready to see this version of it.

Unless the next episode is like 1 1/2 seasons they are running out of time, I know this season began with a flash forward to 84 but they haven't even given whoever plays Moses Malone a line yet

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I still find the series entertaining and a lot of that is Larry Bird owning everyone all the time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it would've been more interesting to be a series about the NBA of the 80s rather than a biopic of Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson, there's just not enough gas in this particular tank.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Buss’ arc this season is pretty lame. One of my major issues this season is feeling like it needs to give just about every lead from s1 an arc, even when they weren’t really doing anything major irl, rather than focus on the important stuff and let some characters be supporting for a while.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It definitely feels like Buss is "supposed" to be the main character but they don't know what to do with him now that he's settled in as the owner of the team. Pat Reilly would probably be a better main character at this point, or Jerry West, or someone involved with the on-the-ground stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

While there have been a lot of pacing issues this season, I still very much enjoy the show and this was a great episode. Jason Clarke is also giving one of his best performances here.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am an epiaode behind but Segel's meltdown has been great.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

This episode just reinforced that the show's at its strongest when it's focusing on the team itself; I couldn't give less of a poo poo about Buss' private life or his relationship with his family, and barely care about his role within the organisation.

Clarke and Brody are both smashing it and I think the story should really revolve around them; I did think the Westhead firing scene was great, with Reilly and Segel doing some of the best acting they've done on the series.

Admittedly I've been struggling to keep on top of the timeframe over the last few episodes but it seemed to propel forward to the ECF with no kind of indication.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 5, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hakkesshu posted:

While there have been a lot of pacing issues this season, I still very much enjoy the show and this was a great episode. Jason Clarke is also giving one of his best performances here.

Between this and Oppenheimer he's had a hell of a year.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Adrianics posted:

This episode just reinforced that the show's at its strongest when it's focusing on the team itself; I couldn't give less of a poo poo about Buss' private life or his relationship with his family, and barely care about his role within the organisation.

Clarke and Brody are both smashing it and I think the story should really revolve around them; I did think the Westhead firing scene was great, with Reilly and Segel doing some of the best acting they've done on the series.

Admittedly I've been struggling to keep on top of the timeframe over the last few episodes but it seemed to propel forward to the ECF with no kind of indication.

Yeah, the show rushed through the playoff loss season because Magic's injury made him kind of a non factor, and not that much drama was going on, and used the last episode to speedrun through their next championship appearance.

Puts next season at 1982 with James Worthy and Dr J's return.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Whenever Riley is on screen, show good.
Whenever Magic calls his girlfriend, show bad.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Darko posted:

Yeah, the show rushed through the playoff loss season because Magic's injury made him kind of a non factor, and not that much drama was going on, and used the last episode to speedrun through their next championship appearance.

Just kind of a weird choice dramatically speaking; very odd to launch straight from Reilly finding his mojo as a coach (his struggles to find his voice relegated to a single scene) to oh I guess now the team is in the NBA Finals and it's several months later? I wasn't sure what the month was when Westhead was fired but got the impression it was relatively early in the season

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Just kind of a weird choice dramatically speaking; very odd to launch straight from Reilly finding his mojo as a coach (his struggles to find his voice relegated to a single scene) to oh I guess now the team is in the NBA Finals and it's several months later? I wasn't sure what the month was when Westhead was fired but got the impression it was relatively early in the season

You'll be happy to know it was 3 weeks into the season, and they truncated the whole season after, haha.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly spending so long on Westhead and then skipping over almost the entirety of the rest of the season was loving hilarious. But not, imo, in a good way.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Darko posted:

You'll be happy to know it was 3 weeks into the season
There's still time before the playoffs!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Darko posted:

You'll be happy to know it was 3 weeks into the season, and they truncated the whole season after, haha.

gently caress me, and (unless I looked away or something) not even a "six months later" caption on the screen? Just slamming straight to Buss' wedding to that lady we know nothing about

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole Honey plot is bizarre and as far as I can tell is completely made up. She's based on someone named Puppi Buss who absolutely did not marry him, she just changed her name? Not like this show is shy about being creative with the facts but it's not like it's adding anything to the show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Adrianics posted:

gently caress me, and (unless I looked away or something) not even a "six months later" caption on the screen? Just slamming straight to Buss' wedding to that lady we know nothing about

They say out loud that they’ve lost 10 of their last 20 when Riley gives his locker room speech, and then they show their record climbing on screen over highlights of the season. Of all the many criticisms of this show it’s hard to say it’s not expository enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It definitely feels like they were struggling to find something for Buss to do this season since now he's actually built the team he doesn't have much to do with their actual successes and losses.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The guy who wrote the book has been posting like this every week, which is...concerning
https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/1699615214361342052?t=Q78Oo5_iiOLeRriy54-B8w&s=19

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, i feel like Buss and Magic are the least interesting characters in the show right now but they get almost all the screentime and script.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

The guy who wrote the book has been posting like this every week, which is...concerning
https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/1699615214361342052?t=Q78Oo5_iiOLeRriy54-B8w&s=19

I'm fine with Boston winning.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

GoutPatrol posted:

Unless the next episode is like 1 1/2 seasons they are running out of time, I know this season began with a flash forward to 84 but they haven't even given whoever plays Moses Malone a line yet

That's a very good point. Although in the latest ep, they did jump a shitload of time (which was confusing). But you're right, Dr. J and Moses Malone were the kings for a hot minute in the early-80s, and they've only even been mentioned in passing once this season, I think.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i feel like Buss and Magic are the least interesting characters in the show right now but they get almost all the screentime and script.

Very true. As much as I loved them in s1, those two aren't really given anything interesting to do this time. I really think they missed the mark by continuing to focus on them when the real story that should be front and center is Pat Riley.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 7, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're about to play that Sixers team in the next episode. Excited to see the obviously 50-something actor playing late prime Dr. J again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They're about to play that Sixers team in the next episode. Excited to see the obviously 50-something actor playing late prime Dr. J again.

They all looked 50 back then.

Next season/NBA year is what really makes Dr J really huge.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 7, 2023

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid starting to pay attention to the NBA I thought Moses Malone was an old-rear end man when in reality he was like 32-33, it was just that he'd been in the league for ~15 years already

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'm fine with Boston winning.

Larry Bird is the best part of this show.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Laterite posted:

When I was a kid starting to pay attention to the NBA I thought Moses Malone was an old-rear end man when in reality he was like 32-33, it was just that he'd been in the league for ~15 years already

Clyde Drexler looked 40 years old the entire time he was in the NBA.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m on the verge of cancelling max and if they cancel this show I’ll pull the plug. The content on max is just jam packed with garbage now that they’ve added all the discovery poo poo. I can already tell they’re trying to push the prestige stuff to the side.

I’ve been a non-stop subscriber for years now, but max is about to go into the rotation of apps like the rest.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
After watching the premier and not following up I’ve binged this show over the last two weekends and I have a hard time thinking of a more enjoyable to watch show in the last few years.I think the main cast is a perfect and apart from Riley and Magic everyone seems to be doing an impression of their character in finding one piece of a character to latch onto and then build out from there. So the exaggeration/made up events feels less of a stretch to me because it’s also stemming from the jumping off point for the character not the actual person. I think Riley and Magic have been allowed to be more 3d from the jump.

I get not liking the vintage filter but couple it with the fourth wall breaking and my read was that this “true story” is being told by people very aware of their image and how they want to be perceived verse the inherently fuzzy nature of memory.

Seconding the Max sucks sentiment. I know it means nothing but when the app prompts me for my opinion I always rate it low and say I don’t like the shift in content. The HBO library is one of the main reasons to keep Max and if they keep deleting their own library it just makes me less and less likely to stick with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

lol

Hakkesshu posted:

The whole Honey plot is bizarre and as far as I can tell is completely made up. She's based on someone named Puppi Buss who absolutely did not marry him, she just changed her name? Not like this show is shy about being creative with the facts but it's not like it's adding anything to the show.

That makes the events at the end of this week's episode extra bizarre.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What this show really needs is more scenes of Magic whining to Cookie over the phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the show really needs is more Larry Bird. The next season needs to be a redux of seasons 1 and 2 but everything is from the POV of Bird and Auerbach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I know I keep banging this drum but it is honestly just so odd to me that they keep choosing to make such ridiculous leaps forward in time, was there really nothing in the intervening time that would make a good episode, like Reilly has gotten basically no time at all dedicated to his development as a coach compared to Westhead.

I will say that I loved the playoff montage done via the passes on the court, and the Reilly/Chiklis act-off at the end. Actually got me kind of pumped to see how they portray the Finals next week.