Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Adrianics posted:

I will say that I loved the playoff montage done via the passes on the court

That was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
This show and TikTok are quickly making me realize that because of the rise of Jordan in my youth, I missed out on a decade of Larry Bird highlight clips.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I like this show's Larry Bird but I haven't been feeling the rivalry angle between him and Johnson or the Lakers and Celtics as much this season. It feels like they wanted to soften Bird and Auerbach (and most of the rest of the cast except Westhead), which is probably for the best since they're based on real people and relatively recent events but as TV characters I like them best when they're acting like huge pricks. They keep saying how much beating Boston means to them and how nothing else matters but the hate bus needs a little more fuel IMO.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I finally watched ep6 this afternoon and the montage pacing they went with felt like a show with no expectation of being renewed.

It wasn't bad, but we went from spending 3 or 4 episodes to cover a few months of time, then one episode to speed run everything from June 1982 through May 1984. Just peculiar but since I have been wanting them to get to this point I guess I got my wish.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's less fear of nonrenewal and more being forced to deal with a 7 episode order while maintaining their planned timeline.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I think the time jumps have been handled ok, you need to cherry pick the big moments unless you want the show to run forever. And the magic/bird showdown is the main event. I really hope we get a 3rd season though to see magic and Bird becoming friends, and magic's retirement then comeback with the dream team. Of course that would mean finding actors to play half of the hall of fame so that would be a big ask.
Agree with the criticisms re Buss this season though. As much as I love John C Reilly, the character just isn't interesting any more. It was fun in the first season to see this outsider come in and shake things up etc. But at the end of the day, on a sports team there is no individual less interesting to me than the owner.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

cohsae posted:

I think the time jumps have been handled ok, you need to cherry pick the big moments unless you want the show to run forever. And the magic/bird showdown is the main event. I really hope we get a 3rd season though to see magic and Bird becoming friends, and magic's retirement then comeback with the dream team. Of course that would mean finding actors to play half of the hall of fame so that would be a big ask.
Agree with the criticisms re Buss this season though. As much as I love John C Reilly, the character just isn't interesting any more. It was fun in the first season to see this outsider come in and shake things up etc. But at the end of the day, on a sports team there is no individual less interesting to me than the owner.

If we do it won't be from HBO.

https://www.vulture.com/article/winning-time-canceled-season-2-series-finale-explained.html

The ratings weren't good enough to justify a renewal so they canned it. The ending we got tonight was an alternate one they shot in January just in case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The show is heavily influenced by the structure of the Showtime book. Pretty much everything that happens barring most of the Buss family stuff is something described by the book or a narrative device to describe something from the book. Pearlman does a good job sketching out some specific games during seasons but the nature of a tv narrative means you're not going to spend time exploring all of those games. When the plot chops past a good deal of the timeline it's because it's chopping past a book section that is thin on drama or glory for the Showtime legend.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I haven't watched the finale yet, but drat...

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1703592042603962563?s=19

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well that loving sucks, what the gently caress.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well that loving sucks, what the gently caress.

*Jerry West voice*

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That loving sucks. Some really great performances. Reilly is doing his thing. Chiklis, Quincy Isaiah, Hughes killing it too. Brody and Clarke (who has quickly become one of my favorite current character actors) are so good in it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat I wanted to see what they did for Bill Laimbeer.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

algebra testes posted:

*Jerry West voice*

LOL, I heard it in the exact same voice, before I scrolled down and saw your post.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m pissed we’re not gonna get any more of Famed Basketball Psychopath™ Larry Bird.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
”No it ain’t, Mama.”
:3:

I didn’t realize the show was cancelled until I saw the montage. Do these clowns from Discovery have anything in the hopper other than lovely GoT spin-offs? Or do they think people are gonna subscribe to Max for House Hunters?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Everything with Buss and his family is so boring. They should've just made a show about the Celtics/Lakers rivalry. You still could have had all the team buying plot and drama. Just none of this extraneous garbage.

e: I just got to the tacked on ending. lol. Ooooof.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 18, 2023

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
That Honey plotline is even more dumb now.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

That tacked on ending is a loving shambles, the gently caress were HBO thinking?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

drat I wanted to see what they did for Bill Laimbeer.

Same. And reactions to Magic always kissing Thomas on the lips from that era.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Doesn't surprise me that much, given how much production is in this one. And honestly, they didn't have two seasons of material unless they were going to go into new characters, possibly, y'know, not Lakers, but all we got was a little bit of Larry Bird.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Absolutely brutal that this show gets cancelled with the Celtics winning and a Poochie-esque “I have to go now, my planet needs me” rushed ending.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m sad now. First perry mason now this

What is there even to look forward to on hbo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Reality shows. Thanks Zaslav!

Seriously, between this and Perry Mason, just say Righteous Gemstones is done so I can go ahead and cancel my sub.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i thought that was the series finale of gemstones already

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gemstones got renewed. They just shot a season finale that can work for a series in case they needed it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat, it kinda ended perfect. I want more but also, it had an amazing finale

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I sorta understand why they did it but that “and they went on to do this” ending slideshow was such a loving tonal whiplash that I would’ve preferred if the series just ended on a downer even with the knowledge that it’s been cancelled. What a poo poo show lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m sad now. First perry mason now this

What is there even to look forward to on hbo

I guess there’s Euphoria until the showrunner gets arrested for being a sex monster.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I can't believe max couldn't find a way to sell this show. Five seasons of Ballers starring the most expensive actor in actual Hollywood and they can't make this work? This show should be a (kill me) slam dunk. I would love to see how the analytics and costs of those two shows match up across the first two seasons.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ghosthotel posted:

I sorta understand why they did it but that “and they went on to do this” ending slideshow was such a loving tonal whiplash that I would’ve preferred if the series just ended on a downer even with the knowledge that it’s been cancelled. What a poo poo show lol

I just got around to watching that last episode. Man, you aren’t kidding about the whiplash.

I don’t know how much legs the show had left in it for future seasons, but man that tacked-on montage is awful.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
That was some Rome season 2 poo poo, complete with Adrien Brody going on an absolute heater a la James Purefoy.

Goddamn how good would it have been to have a season of the Bad Boys.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

WTF they cancelled it? Just watched the finale and the tacked on montage threw me for a loop. I stupidly let me subscription renew for a year recently, but I’m cancelling my Max subscription. Things are just going down the shitter and with the strike even the one or two good shows are getting delayed until like 2025.

They still have a good movie catalog, but it’s just not worth it. Plus I hate having all these awful discovery shows pushed on me all the time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Smeef posted:

That was some Rome season 2 poo poo, complete with Adrien Brody going on an absolute heater a la James Purefoy.

Goddamn how good would it have been to have a season of the Bad Boys.

I don't think the Bad Boys were going to be there in season 3. If you ended in 84, you then have 85-86-87 which has 2 of 3 LAK/BOS finals.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm really bummed about this show finishing. Honestly the main thing for me was the acting. Everybody was so good all the time, the performances alone made it really compelling for me. Also I am an exceptional John C Reilly fanboy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think the Bad Boys were going to be there in season 3. If you ended in 84, you then have 85-86-87 which has 2 of 3 LAK/BOS finals.

Sure, but you would have to get to them eventually since this is about the eventual fall of the dynasty.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Excellent use of "Shadows of the Night" that made me feel very sad that this has been brought to an end. For all its flaws, you cannot deny the amount of heart and energy that went into it from everyone involved. Some truly MVP acting from Brody in that episode.

So much wasted potential, would have loved to have seen how they portrayed, ie, the Bad Boy Pistons and the arrival of Michael Jordan. The briefest hint at the eventual friendship between Johnson and Bird reminded me of my faith that they'd do a great job with that, too.

All the way through Winning Time I kept thinking about The Last Dance, and how there's this mystique about NBA athletes from the 80s and 90s, like they were world-famous but you ultimately knew nothing about them or what went on off-the-court because this was a pre-social media era. I think that's why the plots with the Buss family were so poorly received this season, absolutely nobody gives a gently caress about that compared to the drama happening within the team and front office because those are the details that went unsaid at the time.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 19, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Magics best friendship with Isaiah should probably pop up a season earlier than when's he eventually plays him in the Finals and beats him, and then when he loses Kareem in the Finals and loses to them. Plus they and the Celtics are fighting for the East and meet in 87 where Bird gets that ridiculous steal to beat them.

I was looking forward to that too, but I have an obvious bias since my username change was based on making fun of their draft pick.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, if Buss was a side character and McKay had any sense of economy in storytelling, I think he could've gotten the whole dynasty done in 12 episodes, and it would absolutely be better than what we got. I'm just not that interested in the Buss drama, it feels like trying to foreshadow a twist but it's not a twist.

I would've loved to see the Vlade Divac story myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I know that they probably made promises to Reilly to convince him to commit to series but they probably should have done like a Ryan Murphy-esque anthology approach season-by-season as to whoever the main character is, like Buss in season one, Westhead in season two, Reilly in season 3 etc. They clearly had no clue what to do with Buss after season one.